Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? Toplef10strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? I22gcj10strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? Toplef10strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? I22gcj10strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Why are Strawberries so hard for me?

+2
HillbillyBob
kcunha
6 posters

Go down

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? Empty Why are Strawberries so hard for me?

Post  kcunha 3/28/2013, 12:36 pm

This is my 2nd year doing strawberries and I tried 3 different varieties. They have been in the ground for a few weeks now and I can already tell that they look a lot like last year; small and slow:( Not sure if I need to water them less, add sand, etc. Any tips from strawberry veterans?

Thanks!
kcunha
kcunha

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? Empty Re: Why are Strawberries so hard for me?

Post  HillbillyBob 3/28/2013, 4:10 pm

any blooms or fruit started? do you see any bees around the bed in the morning? Wink strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? 3170584802
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? Empty strawberries

Post  memart1 3/28/2013, 6:36 pm

I just saw an interesting tip to keep birds from eating your strawberries, and I thought I'd run it by all my sfg friends since this year will be my first year for strawberries. A young relative saw this on pinterest. Paint small stones to look like strawberries and the birds will tire of hitting their beaks on hard stones. I figure I can lay landscape cloth over my MM and then spread out the stones. That way they won't get mixed into the soil, but water can still get in. I have lots of paint since I own a ceramics shop. Any opinions out there?
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? Empty Re: Why are Strawberries so hard for me?

Post  camprn 3/28/2013, 6:40 pm

Tell us about the growing medium in which you are growing them. If you can, please post a photo.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 3/28/2013, 8:33 pm

kcunha ,
I have mine in MM and they do great. I have a couple types of everbearing and a couple types of June bearing. If you think that your MM is not good (bad bagged compost) then you can add some organic fertilizer for tomatoes, but I would never add sand. It does nothing for any type of soil, MM, clay or good loam. If you have them in some type of regular soil, you could add some good compost to feed the berries and improve the soil too.
What did last yrs berries do? I think that you are worrying too soon. 1st yr. berries don't get big and beautiful in a hurry. My plants are all small after the winter, but they are blooming. They will get 'big and pretty' late spring maybe, and will bear better in their 2nd yr.
JO
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 3/29/2013, 10:52 am

kcunha wrote:This is my 2nd year doing strawberries and I tried 3 different varieties. They have been in the ground for a few weeks now and I can already tell that they look a lot like last year; small and slow:( Not sure if I need to water them less, add sand, etc. Any tips from strawberry veterans?

Thanks!

Do you have the strawberry cultivar that's right for your area? Just because someone sells it, doesn't mean it will do well. Visit your AgCenter online and see what varieties they say to grow. Also, planting strawberries is very specific.

This is taken from the LSU AgCenter(by Dan Gill)

Dig the planting hole large and deep enough to accommodate the root system. Then place the plant’s roots into the hole. The plant’s roots should extend vertically into the soil and spread out like a fan.

Fill the hole with soil, and firm the soil around the crown (the point where the roots and leafy part of the plant join). Be careful not to plant too deep by covering the crown or too shallow, which leaves roots exposed.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 3/29/2013, 11:18 am

memart1 wrote:I just saw an interesting tip to keep birds from eating your strawberries, and I thought I'd run it by all my sfg friends since this year will be my first year for strawberries. A young relative saw this on pinterest. Paint small stones to look like strawberries and the birds will tire of hitting their beaks on hard stones. I figure I can lay landscape cloth over my MM and then spread out the stones. That way they won't get mixed into the soil, but water can still get in. I have lots of paint since I own a ceramics shop. Any opinions out there?
I would be careful adding red rocks your inviting squrriels What a Face What a Face when you do that I tried small x-mas balls one year and still see them in the trees once in a while No pale btw squrriels will eat tomatoes too tongue
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2013, 11:35 am

kcunha, we could speculate the trouble until the cows come home, but more info is required if you are looking for some good advice.
What did you plant the plants into? When did you plant them? Have you already fed them? Are you following any of the standard growing advice for strawberries? What has the weather been like there? Have you contacted you County Extension Service for advice>?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries - Why are Strawberries so hard for me? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down