Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from sunny Modesto, California! Toplef10Hello from sunny Modesto, California! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from sunny Modesto, California! I22gcj10Hello from sunny Modesto, California! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from sunny Modesto, California! Toplef10Hello from sunny Modesto, California! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from sunny Modesto, California! I22gcj10Hello from sunny Modesto, California! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

3 posters

Go down

Hello from sunny Modesto, California! Empty Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

Post  ncolindres 3/14/2013, 12:10 pm

Good morning! My name is Nicole and this will be my 3rd year planting in my 1 and only 4 x 4 square foot garden. In 2011, I planted tomatoes, peppers and zucchini and made lots of vegetarian pizza from scratch. Yum! Last year, my teenage son got in on the action and we planted the same plus pumpkin and cantaloupe and some HOT HOT HOT peppers. Unfortunately, we suffered a serious aphid attack and lost most of our vegis mid-summer. Sad This year, I have planted spinach, onions, kale and collards. Most of my plantings have been from transplants. A couple of days ago, I contacted PNG_Grandma as she and her hubby live nearby. flower My husband and I are excited to visit her beautiful community garden and hopefully gain some inspiration and confidence to build more boxes and plant more vegetables (from seed) and learn what works and what doesn't for our area. I cannot express what a joy my little garden has provided my family and me. Now if only I can come up with a solution to keeping cats out of my garden! 🐱
ncolindres
ncolindres

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Hello from sunny Modesto, California! Empty Re: Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/14/2013, 8:01 pm

Welcome! The aphids have now arrived here in Pasadena, CA. I found them in my garlic and onions! I quickly blasted them with water and I will keep my eyes on these plants from now until harvest. I'm also getting out the herbal spray I bought last year just in case I am using too much water.

Last year my sister had trouble with rabbits, so she added four PVC post and placed nylon tulle around the border to prevent them from an easy hop into her beds. It worked. Something like this:
http://www.gardeners.com/Small-Animal-Barriers/40-335RS,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=YardPests_DogsCats

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Hello from sunny Modesto, California! Empty Re: Hello from sunny Modesto, California!

Post  Coelli 3/14/2013, 11:26 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:Welcome! The aphids have now arrived here in Pasadena, CA. I found them in my garlic and onions! I quickly blasted them with water and I will keep my eyes on these plants from now until harvest. I'm also getting out the herbal spray I bought last year just in case I am using too much water.

Last year my sister had trouble with rabbits, so she added four PVC post and placed nylon tulle around the border to prevent them from an easy hop into her beds. It worked. Something like this:
http://www.gardeners.com/Small-Animal-Barriers/40-335RS,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=YardPests_DogsCats

Rose, you're in Pasadena? We're practically next door in Tujunga Smile

I have my boxes covered with tulle right now to keep bugs off my seedlings (they were getting decapitated Sad ) and I use a 2-strand electric fence around it to keep critters out. I doubt it would work for cats because they can jump, but (sad to say) the local coyotes keep the cat population in check here so they have not been a problem

I'm a huge fan of food-grade diatomaceous earth for aphids and their ant farmers. Just ordered another 5 pounds from Amazon which should last a couple of years at least. The ants won't go anywhere near it, and it kills aphids. YES.
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  ncolindres 3/15/2013, 11:18 am

I think the tulle or bird netting might be my best option. Yesterday afternoon there were to yellow butterflies "dancing" around my box. I looked hilarious trying to shoo them away. Looked a little like this... carrot
ncolindres
ncolindres

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/15/2013, 12:26 pm

Coelli, I am in Pasadena. Tujunga would be 25 minutes away? Are you near the Theodore Payne Foundation for California native plants? I go down there once in a while.

I have food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) but I haven't thought about using it because once you wet it the DE won't work. I'll consider it and maybe alternate applications if I need to reapply. I bought my DE at a horse store in Glendale. Thanks.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/16/2013, 12:53 am

Roseinarosecity wrote:Coelli, I am in Pasadena. Tujunga would be 25 minutes away? Are you near the Theodore Payne Foundation for California native plants? I go down there once in a while.

I have food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) but I haven't thought about using it because once you wet it the DE won't work. I'll consider it and maybe alternate applications if I need to reapply. I bought my DE at a horse store in Glendale. Thanks.

Yes, we're right up the 210 from you. I haven't been to the Theodore Payne Foundation but that sounds like a very Tujunga-like thing, lol. In fact the community has just adopted the corner of Foothill and Fenwick, where the "Welcome to Sunland-Tujunga" sign is, to plant a welcome garden of mostly native plants. Being so close to the Angeles National Forest, this is an oddly rural area considering it's part of the city of L.A., but it's very cool (I've only lived here 2 years, but my other half grew up here).

I think DE will start to work again once dry on the ground; but you're right, it rinses off the plants. I re-apply if it rains (HA!) or after watering. So far no aphids here, but the ants and fungus gnats are having a blast. I found one little grasshopper-like guy before the tulle went on and everything seems to be fine now.
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/16/2013, 12:55 am

ncolindres wrote:I think the tulle or bird netting might be my best option. Yesterday afternoon there were to yellow butterflies "dancing" around my box. I looked hilarious trying to shoo them away. Looked a little like this... carrot

Haha!

I used tulle last year to great effect, especially around my potted tomatoes and basil while they were small. It doesn't keep everything out, but it keeps most of the flying bugs away. Smile I will be wrapping some of my tomatoes again this year as they start to flower so I can save the seeds (especially Blue Berry Blend, which several friends have requested seeds from).
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down