Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Corn per square - Page 2 Toplef10Corn per square - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Corn per square - Page 2 I22gcj10Corn per square - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Corn per square - Page 2 Toplef10Corn per square - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Corn per square - Page 2 I22gcj10Corn per square - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Corn per square

+15
camprn
greatgranny
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
Goosegirl
walshevak
yolos
johnsonjlj
Meels
southern gardener
cheyannarach
Lavender Debs
mollyhespra
llama momma
gardencat
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Corn per square - Page 2 Empty Re: Corn per square

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2013, 4:37 pm

camprn wrote:2 years in a row. pfft......If it was me, I would plant the corn out of the SFG.......

Well, camprn, if I was 20 years younger, maybe. A total of 64 plants down the tubes. I could see it failing one year but two in a row and planted in different boxes each year makes me wonder.

Weird. All of my other plants are doing great. Well, maybe not the brocs because it is so hot right now. We went from winter to summer here. Not a total loss though. Everything else is doing great. So, see why I am saying that the corn thing needs to be re-thought for my situation.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/17/2013, 5:57 pm

greatgranny wrote:
camprn wrote:2 years in a row. pfft......If it was me, I would plant the corn out of the SFG.......

Well, camprn, if I was 20 years younger, maybe.  A total of 64 plants down the tubes.  I could see it failing one year but two in a row and planted in different boxes each year makes me wonder.

Weird.  All of my other plants are doing great.  Well, maybe not the brocs because it is so hot right now.  We went from winter to summer here.  Not a total loss though.  Everything else is doing great.  So, see why I am saying that the corn thing needs to be re-thought for my situation.

I'm with you greatgranny. We have converted almost all our beds to SFG, so planting out of the SFG isn't much help, especially since you're supposed to plant lots of corn for pollination. We just harvested some corn out of our second box of corn. So far most of the ears have been about 3" long and puny Sad The beans grew up the stalks nicely, but as far as the corn, another "bust". Big waste of time No What variety of corn did you USED to grow in your row garden? sounds like it was a good kind!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2013, 6:06 pm

southern gardener wrote:
greatgranny wrote:

Well, camprn, if I was 20 years younger, maybe.  A total of 64 plants down the tubes.  I could see it failing one year but two in a row and planted in different boxes each year makes me wonder.

Weird.  All of my other plants are doing great.  Well, maybe not the brocs because it is so hot right now.  We went from winter to summer here.  Not a total loss though.  Everything else is doing great.  So, see why I am saying that the corn thing needs to be re-thought for my situation.

I'm with you greatgranny. We have converted almost all our beds to SFG, so planting out of the SFG isn't much help, especially since you're supposed to plant lots of corn for pollination. We just harvested some corn out of our second box of corn. So far most of the ears have been about 3" long and puny  Sad  The beans grew up the stalks nicely, but as far as the corn, another "bust". Big waste of time No What variety of corn did you USED to grow in your row garden? sounds like it was a good kind!!

I'm not sure what it was but it was not the early one.  I had a huge family to feed so I always planted the late corn.  The ears were larger and the kernels were very deep.  The cobs themselves weren't very large in diameter.  Wish I could remember.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/17/2013, 7:40 pm

me too!! We've "busted" so far on peaches and cream and Kandy Korn. Hoping for some luck with the Silver Queen. I have a couple of really nice stalks, but the rest seem puny and small. The nice one is the only stalk in about 9 sf, so he's hogging all the goodies from the soil I think!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2013, 7:54 pm

I don't mean to say anything negative because for some of you this method works.  It is just not working for me and maybe some others.  Sometimes it just is what it is.  To have a 4 x 4 totally go to waste when I could have planted lots more root crops or peas or maybe even strawberries is for me the reason that I have made these comments.  

Next year I will totally plan differently.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/17/2013, 8:08 pm

My Quickie corn is doing pretty well.  I planted purple-podded pole beans with them.
Corn per square - Page 2 07-17-14
Its looking really healthy so far and about 2 1/2' tall.
I'm finding that some things can't be as close as Mel suggests.  I think corn needs a bit of room so I'd never plant 4 per square.  I've got two per but Quickie only grows about 5 1/2' tall.  I have 12 sqs okf corn in the bed since the north sqs are planted in snap peas which are winding down fast now.
As for Swiss chard and 4 per square, never again.  I think 2 per square is enough.  The leaves get so large they shaded out my peppers planted beside them so they are stunted in size.  I guess I should have left those nearby squares open for late lettuce and spinach instead.
Also the Kale is enormous and in the middle of the bed it shoves other plants out of the way.  They need to be put along the far end of a side square where they can hang over the outside edge.
Tomatoes this year are 3 across a 4' wide north row for better air circulation and are doing better this year than last when they were 4 across.
A gardener just has to learn what works for them individually.  Not everything works the same.  It might be soil factors or climate or rain or heat or a number of things.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/23/2013, 2:14 pm

Update on our Silver Queen corn. This corn has 9 squares because it's the only one that germinated in that area. It's over 9' tall and has TEN ears on it What a Face ! It has 5 tillers (or whatever they're called) and they're putting off ears too! On the "main stalk" there are two ears growing out of the same leaf "crotch". One ear is getting close to ready. I just hope it's pollinated! It looks to be about 10"-12" long :)We have had to hand pollinate since it doesn't have many neighbors lol happy smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/23/2013, 3:15 pm

SG - Amazing! Can you post a photo? When my husband was still at his parent's home in MO, they raised corn for fodder. One ear, maybe 2 here and there, per plant.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/23/2013, 5:31 pm

Here's as close up as I can get to get most of the ears in the pic. The ear(s) in the middle of the pic is where there are two ears growing out of the "crotch" of a leaf. That big ear is about 10-12" long Smile

Corn per square - Page 2 Bigcor10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/24/2013, 12:11 am

southern gardener wrote:...We have had to hand pollinate since it doesn't have many neighbors...
Hey southern, we planted such a small amount (five per barrel - three barrels worth) it was recommended we hand pollinate. How do you do it? The website I was on recommended running a bamboo pole up and down each stalk...?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/24/2013, 2:42 am

gwennifer wrote:
southern gardener wrote:...We have had to hand pollinate since it doesn't have many neighbors...
Hey southern, we planted such a small amount (five per barrel - three barrels worth) it was recommended we hand pollinate.  How do you do it?  The website I was on recommended running a bamboo pole up and down each stalk...?
Gwennifer: Last year, I ran my hand over the tassels and "caught" the pollen in my hands and then sprinkled the pollen on the silks. We had pretty good pollination results, but the pollen was so "light" it blew out of my hands as I was trying to remove it from the tassel, so a lot was wasted. Corn per square - Page 2 2636062189 This year, I pulled off a piece of the tassel, and used it as a "wand" of sorts to pollinate. I read where you could pollinate up to 15 ears this way! Well, the cobs were SO tiny...about 3-4 inches, and the pollination didn't seem to work as well (lots of "empty" kernels); so not sure if that method worked. Those plants were tiny, stunted and ugly...so not really a good example. I'm trying the "pulling a piece of the tassel" thing with this big plant, so I think it will give me a better idea. I'm so tempted to peak and see what's going on inside the ear!!!  A few more days and I'll know I think!! hyper hyper hungry drooling
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/24/2013, 12:25 pm

SC - I'll be watching for your results. I don't know what ""pulling a piece of the tassel" thing" is but I will look it up. I am so tempted to try a couple squares of corn.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/24/2013, 12:55 pm

sanderson wrote:SC  -  I'll be watching for your results.  I don't know what ""pulling a piece of the tassel" thing" is but I will look it up.  I am so tempted to try a couple squares of corn.

LOL. It's not a technical term, l'll try to explain. The tassel is sort of "star" shaped. i pull off one of the legs of the star with dry pollen on it, and tap the silks with it. the pollen falls off onto the silks. Like I said, I tried pulling off the pollen in my hands, but they're so light, they blew all over and I wasted a lot of it. I'll post a pic of the big ear when it's ready Smile Im HOPING that there's kernels!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/24/2013, 1:50 pm

I've read (and seen a video) of farmers tying brown lunch bags around the tassels overnite and when the pollen falls in the morning, it drops inside the bags.  Untie the bags and shake the pollen over the silks below and nearby for full ears.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/24/2013, 2:07 pm

Here is a video showing not only how to pollinate your corn, but how to save a clear strain of corn for the following year.  This bagging method should also deter corn borers from your silks.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/24/2013, 6:16 pm

That is a good video and so thorough!  I wonder how we can do that to the corn in the middle of our beds.  Maybe carefully moving plants aside.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/24/2013, 7:56 pm

Tricia....You can sprinkle some of the pollen from one of the outer tassels across the silks in the inner rows.  As long as its the same variety, it will work just fine.

Last edited by quiltbea on 7/24/2013, 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling only)
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/24/2013, 8:16 pm

Great idea!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/24/2013, 10:43 pm

quiltbea wrote:Tricia....You can sprinkle some of the pollen from one of the outer tassels across the silks in the inner rows.  As long as its the same variety, it will work just fine.

it has to be the same variety? What a Face What a Face 
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/25/2013, 7:51 pm

welp...we picked our corn SUCCESS!!! I'm putting it in the "look what we picked" thread Very Happy Very Happy 
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/21/2013, 5:02 pm

update on the corn. I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not...but anyway....We planted another 64 plants in a SFG bed without the weedcloth on the bottom to see if there way any difference. the last planting WITH weedcloth was terrible. tiny ears about the size of my thumb at best. We just harvested some from the bed without the weedcloth, and the ears were about doubled the size of the others, but still not huge. I am thinking 4 per square is just too much, but it's definitely better (for us) with the open bottomed beds. By far, though, the best was the one stalk that was in 9" of MM with one plant per NINE squares. This is a FYI only...
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 9/21/2013, 10:42 pm

Southern....Too bad about your corn.  I know the feeling.
I planted 12 squares of Quickie corn, 2 per square, and mine were very small and very sparse.  Not all of them pollinated.  They are supposed to be small but I think they were smaller than normal (mine were about 4" but fat).
But they sure tasted good.  I just had the first ears for supper tonite.  Mmmm good.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/21/2013, 11:55 pm

quiltbea wrote:Southern....Too bad about your corn.  I know the feeling.
I planted 12 squares of Quickie corn, 2 per square, and mine were very small and very sparse.  Not all of them pollinated.  They are supposed to be small but I think they were smaller than normal (mine were about 4" but fat).
But they sure tasted good.  I just had the first ears for supper tonite.  Mmmm good.
Glad yours was so tasty! Feels good to "grow you own". after planting around 200 corn plants and getting these results, I think it's fair to say, it's not working. We had really good pollination. We hand pollinated in addition to letting nature do it's thing too, just teeny tiny ears. Gonna try a different plan next year Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 9/22/2013, 11:55 am

I think for next year I'm going to do 1 or 2 in each square as a trial to see if it does better.  If not, I will either give up all together or maybe till up a spot and go with the row garden thingy.  I don't want to, but I refuse to have a failure when I could have planted more root crops that are easy to store over the winter months.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/22/2013, 12:17 pm

greatgranny wrote:I think for next year I'm going to do 1 or 2 in each square as a trial to see if it does better.  If not, I will either give up all together or maybe till up a spot and go with the row garden thingy.  I don't want to, but I refuse to have a failure when I could have planted more root crops that are easy to store over the winter months.
Yep!! I'm with you on that one Smile Good luck and let us know how it goes next year Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next