Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to use as a base for my SFG beds Toplef10What to use as a base for my SFG beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to use as a base for my SFG beds I22gcj10What to use as a base for my SFG beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to use as a base for my SFG beds Toplef10What to use as a base for my SFG beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to use as a base for my SFG beds I22gcj10What to use as a base for my SFG beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to use as a base for my SFG beds

5 posters

Go down

What to use as a base for my SFG beds Empty What to use as a base for my SFG beds

Post  muddyfeet 8/24/2012, 11:08 am

I have several of those raised bed kits (I got from Sams Club).
I have weed mat separating my soil mix from the native Florida soil, but I still have a big problem with the nematodes getting into the soil and ruining my plants. I would like to raise my beds totally off the ground and fasten a base of some sort on the bottom with holes drilled in.

What material is best for this? I was looking for cedar plywood, but can't locate any in my area (they all say its a special order and can't order just one or 2 sheets at a time).
I don't want to use something that will rot away in one season (like untreated pine plywood might).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
muddyfeet

Back to top Go down

What to use as a base for my SFG beds Empty Re: What to use as a base for my SFG beds

Post  Pollinator 8/24/2012, 11:47 am

muddyfeet wrote:
I have weed mat separating my soil mix from the native Florida soil, but I still have a big problem with the nematodes getting into the soil and ruining my plants. I would like to raise my beds totally off the ground and fasten a base of some sort on the bottom with holes drilled in.

I hate to have a bottom on my beds; can't help it with buckets; but my beds are surely not deep enough to give the roots adequate room.

How about a different approach - deal with the nematodes. Dwarf French marigold has been demonstrated to reduce rootknot seriously.

Also you could use beneficial nematodes like Steinernema carpocapsae. These will parasitize the rootknot. Here's an article on these: http://nematodeinformation.com/tag/root-knot-nematode

Additionally parasitic nematodes will deal with a number of other pests. I am too late this year, but am planning on using them for squash for pickleworm next season.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

What to use as a base for my SFG beds Empty Re: What to use as a base for my SFG beds

Post  muddyfeet 8/24/2012, 12:01 pm

Thanks -

I actually planted my whole garden this summer with marigolds for the nematode issue, but haven't tested to see if that will actually work. ( I now need to put in my fall crop, so will have to turn all the marigolds under)

Perhaps that will be enough.

So you say the base on the raised beds is a bad idea? I was also planning on stacking the beds 2 high, so they will be about a foot, instead of 6 inches high. Is that still too shallow?

The weed mat I have now prevents the veggie roots from going too deep too, perhaps that is also part of my problem. Stunted plants + nematodes.

well, I'll keep trying! Florida gardening is sure a challenge!
muddyfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 8/24/2012, 1:27 pm

Do a search(left side top or bottom) for table tops. There are lots of ideas for bases that can be used whether you choose to build your beds on the ground or raised as a toble top. Here is a great thread:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t297-building-a-table-top-sfgsome-ideas

Here is what I did for my table tops:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9881-my-garden-in-january-in-so-ca#95339
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 8/24/2012, 1:59 pm

Haven't put it together yet, but i bought a 4x8 sheet of Hardie (cement) siding to use as the bottom. I cut it in two pieces to make the base for two 4'x4' beds. I'm going to stiffen it up with a few 2x6 runners. Until there is a shade problem (not sure yet), I am going to put it on 5 stacks (one stack each, close to the corners and one in the middle) of two high cinder blocks on our concrete patio right next to the house, to keep the big dog from killing the plants with his pee. If I need more sun in the winter, I'm going to drag them out into an open area in the yard until spring. Mel's book suggests non-treated plywood as a base, but I want something that should last forever. I got a broken piece of this siding and put it in a bucket of water and it never deteriorated so it should hold up to the watering.
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/24/2012, 9:50 pm

Hardware cloth lined with plastic resting on cinderblock. (I did do a little decorative thing with rails) 1st year. Used weedblock for 2nd year beds. Zone 8A coastal NC
Bed kits had 7" sides but the MM is only 6" deep.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5250p30-i-m-making-progress-and-gardens

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down