Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Toplef10I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 I22gcj10I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Toplef10I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 I22gcj10I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm making progress and gardens

+13
llama momma
clfraser
Barkie
FarmerValerie
acara
middlemamma
Furbalsmom
CarolynPhillips
boffer
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
Megan
walshevak
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm making progress and gardens

Post  FarmerValerie 2/25/2011, 9:38 am

Maybe you could get a wood pattern to cut out a horse and buggy to place in front? That would be cute.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm making progress and gardens

Post  walshevak 2/25/2011, 9:45 am

And wheel cutouts on the sides of the beds Smile
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 2/25/2011, 2:53 pm

walshevak wrote:I used 1/2" hardware cloth and the span is only 9' from block edge to block edge. Will that help? and 1"x5" middle supports under the mesh.

I'm at work now & have my reference tables and software.

The charts don't recommend anything over 8' clear span, for uniform or concentrated load ..... and thats for steel (wood would be much less). In you situation, this would be concentrated loading, not uniform, since the weight is applied on the contact edge of the boards and transfered to only a part of the loading surface (the contact point on the 4 x 4's).

Best guess would be just over 200# at 9', but the deflection would be excessive.

I think we've discussed density of MM in another thread & came up with roughly 13#/ft3 ??

So filling to 6" depth on a 4 x 4 is [((4 x 4) x .5) x13] = 104# of MM (dry weight), plus box, plus plants ..... plus 8#/gallon for water weight........

The Home Depot boxes you show there are 12" high if I remember right, so filling to a 9" height with MM would give you 156# (dry), plus box, plus plants.

I really can't see a way to support two 4 x 4 boxes in that arrangement on a 9' clear span made of wood. Even if its successful initially, it will give at some point as the wood deteriorates with enviromental exposure & age.

However, loading vs clear span is not a linear scale ..... a mid-support on your design would increase the loading by roughly 4x....... so you could probably grow pumpkins in your SFG's, if you put a center support on that.

... Or just scale down and use a single box
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/4/2011, 6:00 pm

Ok Acara, I took out all the MM and reinforced both the bottoms of the boxes and the support system. Whew!! Wet MM is heavy. We had 40MPH winds and heavy rain over the weekend and those boxes didn't budge a smidge even with the tulle in place. I'm giving the tulle a chance to keep moths out as long as possible.

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1118

So since I feel like they are sturdy now, today I planted spinach, kale and bok choy plants and spinach seed for a later crop. Another bed has mustard, onion sets, snap peas and lettuce that I planted earlier in the week.

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1119

This looks so spring like, I just had to share. Japanese Quince and daffadils.

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Spring10
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/4/2011, 9:08 pm

Whew! I feel MUCH better now. Thank you, Acara, for a) knowing how to crunch the umbers, and b) doing so. (And boy, I love those daffodil pictures, walshevak!)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/3/2011, 11:21 am

Time for an update on my gardens and show the plants and seeds that are up.

And a question. Because my beds are so high, in order for me to have a decent height trellis I will need to use the entire 10" conduit. I'm want to use 24" rebar (1/2 into the ground) and also attach to the sides of the boxes with a clamp. I have a step stool that is sturdy. Any comments or advice before I start installing.

bed 1. radish, spinach bok choy collards and carrots on the grid
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Bed_1_10

bed 2. lettuces, bok choy spinach collards, kale (which is planted too many to the square will thin out as i eat. Very Happy )
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Bed_2_10

bed 3. sugar snaps not up yet, turnips just planted, collards
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Bed_3_10

bed 4. lettuces, chard, bok choy
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Bed_4_10

bed 5. onions, mustard greens
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Bed_5_10

bed 6. broccoli, onions turnips, lettuce mix and snap peas
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Bed_6_10

chairtop garden. mesculun and snap peas
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Chairt10

rain bins (full), compost cans, and potting cart
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Rains_10

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/3/2011, 11:38 am

Nice, I love the corners on your boxes! And that chair bed!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/3/2011, 3:29 pm

Walshevak, your garden is looking so nice and productive. I love the design with the cross bars and cinder block legs. It is so nice to see plants growing there Smile ,
I'm with FarmerValerie, that chair bed is really cute and what a great idea! cheers

Enjoy.

As far as your trellises, I realize with the Table Tops, you want extra height for the trellis itself, but 10 feet sounds awfully high, even with a step stool. Part of that is me, because I am just not stable enough to climb on a step stool safely.
For my own table tops, which are 32 inches high at the top of the box, I am using eight foot conduit, which will give me five and a half feet above the bed. I will need a stool to reach that, but my stool is only 13 1/2 inches high and has a thirteen inch by thirteen inch platform on the top, so pretty secure.

Whatever works for you, just be careful.

I am using rebar into the ground, then adding clamps on both the legs and along the side of the bed to make sure that trellis isn't going anywhere.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Empty Liking it a lot

Post  Barkie 4/8/2011, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the pics, I like a good skeg at what folks are doing. That's a grand set up.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  clfraser 4/8/2011, 11:26 pm

Just curious about the trellis. Could you trellis downward from a table top bed?
clfraser
clfraser

Female Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/9/2011, 1:46 am

clfraser wrote:Just curious about the trellis. Could you trellis downward from a table top bed?
When you say trellis downward, do you mean from the top of the TT towards the ground? I guess you could, but are you trying to get your veggies to sprawl on the ground?

We do have a member who mentioned having some of his veggies cascade from the TT to the ground, but I have forgotten why he did it. Perhaps he will chime in.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/9/2011, 1:52 am

I let cukes and squashes hang over the sides of my TT boxes and trail, unsupported to the ground. Then I train them to grow in a circle underneath the boxes so I don't step on them. Is that what you meant?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/9/2011, 3:54 am

Thanks for the explaination Boffer, I sometimes remember just enough to be dangerous.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/9/2011, 6:41 am

I have a foot high platform used by resturants that is wide and very stable and study. I drug that over to the bed and determined that I can go 8ft high with my trellis. Since my beds are 2 1/2ft high that gives me a 5 1/2 ft trellis above the bed height. So stuff is just gonna have to go up, over, and down. That's as high as I'm willing to go.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  clfraser 4/9/2011, 7:49 am

That is kinda what I was asking regarding trellising down. I am totally new at this so I was just curious how that would work. I guess going down you don't need the support like you would going up. My bed is on the ground but for future reference I know. I don't really know how I am going to support my cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, and peppers this year. I kind of just planted things and did not think of trellising or anything.
clfraser
clfraser

Female Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/9/2011, 9:29 am

Well, I guess we will all learn this summer. I plan to trellis pole beans, cukes, tomatos, cantaloupe and sugar baby watermelons as well as try to corral some squash onto some trellis. I have a much smaller temporary trellis for my snap peas in one of the beds and the chair top peas have an old footboard behind them to grow on. I will replace that temp trellis when I replace the peas with beans.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/22/2011, 8:54 am

Thought I'd post pics of my garden before I pull out all the plants. Will eat and freeze from garden until the day before I leave. Then I will harvest what is left and take to my daughter. Her garden is about a month and 1/2 behind mine. She is in zone 6a.

Here are the pics from april https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6610-i-was-only-gone-for-2-weeks-honest#58630

And today.
Bed 1 - collards, kale, spinach and last buttercrunch lettuce at very back of the box. Tomatos were planted in the same squares as the lettuce until I dug them up and transported to my son's house. There were some peppers in this box too.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1510

Bed 2 and the collard that is taking over. I'll harvest and freeze him this week.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1511

Bed 2 carrots and spinach that is about to finish up. Also dug the tomatos and peppers out of this box.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1512

Bed 3 and the last sowing of sugar snap peas. They are just starting to bloom.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1513

Bed 3 collards, 2nd sowing of turnip greens and onions on the grid crosses
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1514

Bed 4 Bok choy about to bolt. These were from the 2nd sowing. Also Swiss chard 1st and second sowings.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1515

Bed 4 Red sails lettuce. I'll be enjoying this until I leave.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1516

Bed 6. The peas are about finished. I don't think the sprinkler got enough water to them while I was gone. They were dry, but the lettuce just inside the net is from my original planting and has had 4 harvests.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1517

Bed 6 Finally getting a small broccoli. I'll let him grow for the next 2 weeks. This may be my last meal before leaving town. Wink
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1518

bed 5. Kale, lemon basil and cukes I forgot to dig up and take to my son.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1519

bed 5 onions and kale. Just visable is cilantro in a herb pot. I'll take all my herb pots to my daughter in Northern Va as I'm leaving from Dulles Airport. Empty spots were where I dug up tomatos and peppers and from some mustard/spinach that was finished.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1520

The chairtop garden started when I was so frustrated in Feb because I couldn't get my beds made. Took a long time to get started, but I've had more peas from this planting than from any of my others. Mesculun is looking good and check out the russian red kale in the mix. This was going to be my summer lettuce box as I could move it under the tree for shade.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1521

Over all view of the garden from my deck.
I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Imgp1522

I have had a phenomenal spring garden and had been looking forward to summer crops. I just can't believe what the MM produced. I have eaten, frozen and given away so much. I'm anticipating getting back and starting a fall garden. I am going to take a bin of MM to my daughter and see if she can get me 2 tomatos started in mid aug for a possible late crop. I have a 5x5 plastic hobby greenhouse I can use to extend my season a little.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/22/2011, 12:01 pm

That's a good amount you grew. I still can't get over how much can be crammed in and it still grow, although I've done the same as you with chair top but using bakers trays for salad things. That's an attractive kale btw.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/22/2011, 12:04 pm

Kay, everything is looking so good. At least you will eat well before you leave for Europe and your kids will benefit from your garden too.

Make sure to wave I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 61949 to my older son when your are at Dulles Airport, he lives about 4 miles from the terminal.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

I'm making progress and gardens - Page 2 Empty 2012 version

Post  walshevak 2/7/2012, 7:09 pm

Warm weather got to me. I planted the chairtop gardens in Jan and in spite of 30* weather the last 2 nights I found a few pea noses just starting to peek out today. The reclaimed abandoned garden https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9233-is-there-anything-as-sad-as-an-abandoned-sfg has been keeping me in greens this mild winter. I uncovered the garlic bed today and have a lot of garlic tops showing, some 4" high.

Yesterday and today I put together 4 more beds and managed to get 2 up on their rails before I ran out of energy. I have some onion seed started but decided not to start seeds for peppers and tomatos until I return from visiting my son. Will be gone for 2 1/2 weeks and didn't want to haul seedlings with me. However, I will be starting seed at his house for the "pond beds".

The good news is that my vermiculite source in in the town where he lives and by the time I return and make MM for the new bed, I will be able to direct sow most of the spring greens. The carrots, spinach and lettuce from the fall planting are stil going strong. The chard is also going strong, but the flavor is not as good as it was. Time to pull it up and start new. I'm also going to pull up the kale (held on since last spring) and start new. Lost some of the fall planted collards so will also start new there. Will eat on the 2 remaining until the new crop gets going and then plant something new in their squares.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/8/2012, 2:09 am

Love the healthy looking kale and I really like the looks of your stapled grids, what is it made of?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/8/2012, 5:41 am

I actually don't know what that is. It was some some sort of strappng material I found in my tool chest. It didn't last, so now I'm using mason's line.

That is winterbor kale and lasted through the neglect of the summer and is still growing. Had some for dinner last night. I plan to plant more this spring along with the red version, redbor.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 2/8/2012, 7:48 am

Love your chairs!!! Now I know what to do with the four old chairs in the shed that are too far gone for someone to sit in!!!

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Female Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 2/8/2012, 9:12 am

Walshevak - this might be a silly question, but what is the white material you have covering your boxes, and what is it for? Do you have problems with critters?
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/8/2012, 2:33 pm

That is wedding veil tulle to keep bugs out, and it works.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next