Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 Toplef10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 I22gcj10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 Toplef10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 I22gcj10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss

+23
Goosegirl
thegreatcob
SFGHQSTAFF
plantoid
bwaynef
CapeCoddess
Damon
Daniel9999
No_Such_Reality
donnainzone5
southern gardener
littlesapphire
sfgteachers
landarch
CharlesB
LittleGardener
rowena___.
floyd1440
Turan
RoOsTeR
camprn
walshevak
Ann Dee
27 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 Empty Re: Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss

Post  Goosegirl 9/8/2012, 8:13 am

Damon wrote:
Has anyone heard of biochar? I wonder if that might be an alternative; although it seems it could throw the balance of potassium way off in the long run.

NOTE: The link is a wikipedia article.

Organic Gardening Magazine had a nice article on Biochar a some time ago.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 Empty Re: Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss

Post  Damon 9/10/2012, 8:30 am

Kay, could you explain more of how the carbonizing method works? I've been wanting to try something like that for a while, but I've been completely unsure how to do it.

Goosegirl, thanks. I'll see if I can find that article as well. I did find this article over at Mother Earth News: "Make Biochar."
Damon
Damon

Male Posts : 57

http://www.greenhorngardening.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/13/2012, 6:38 am

I wish I could, but all I got was a verbal explanation. I never saw the operation in progress, but I did see some of the final product. It looked like coffee grounds in color and somewhat in texture. I'm planning a trip to PI after the first of the year. I'll see if I can find out more.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Damon 9/13/2012, 7:50 am

If at all possible please do. I wonder if coarse sand and biochar together would make a good vermiculite alternative?
Damon
Damon

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 9/14/2012, 5:52 am

Damon wrote:If at all possible please do. I wonder if coarse sand and biochar together would make a good vermiculite alternative?

Let stick with biochar which is formed by burning organic matter in the absence of oxygen. The temperature will rise to over 1000 degrees, burning off any volitale matter and organic by products, leaving you with a form of carbon. Most believe pure carbon is black but it is actually silver in color and if biochar is black to start with it will over time turn silver.

But living in Alabama there is a ton of high quality carbon material that I am sure is superior to biochar; it is know as coke or you need coke breeze. Pure carbon, very tough and somewaht porous, and all you may need is a few bags, a mask and goggles, all right in you back yard.....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/14/2012, 1:49 pm

Biochar is getting quite a bit of study lately. Currently, the commercially produced bio-char is not cheap, it's more expensive than vermiculite or peat moss.

That said, as a potential alternative to one or the other or both, I'd like to see it investigated as a potential substitute to help improve upon the 100% compost solution for those areas or people that don't have the infrastructure in place to obtain vermiculite or peat.

I don't have Mel's book handy, but if my memory is correct, each component has the following roles:

Vermiculite's role in the mix is to provide aeration, friability and drainage. It also provide moisture retention due 'puffed' nature of it.

Peat's role in the mix is provide moisture retention, also helps provide aeration and slows nutrient leaching and helps with friability.

Compost's role is largely as nutrient delivery and additional structure.

What makes biochar interesting is the potential to use it in place of vermiculite and peat. It retain moisture similar to peat and attracts and retains nutrients. Similar to vermiculite, it's long term stable in the mix and promotes friability.

Coupled with the ability to self-produce from local organic sources, it becomes a potential resource for developing world to improve their food production and the developed world to improve sustainability.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Damon 9/14/2012, 4:51 pm

Thanks, No_such, that's about what I was wondering. It's the ability to self produce that excites me most.

Flyod, yeah, I'm in the middle of coal country. In fact a nearby town is called Coaling, AL.
Damon
Damon

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 9/16/2012, 7:58 pm

Damon wrote:Thanks, No_such, that's about what I was wondering. It's the ability to self produce that excites me most.

Flyod, yeah, I'm in the middle of coal country. In fact a nearby town is called Coaling, AL.

Hey Damon

I used to live near Birmingham and you should be able to get all the coke particles you will need for free; some of us are not so lucky. Get a Home Depot bag and go down some railroad tracks and you should find as much as you ever need. Let me know how it works........
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/13/2012, 6:57 pm

bumping this for 'greenhome' as it basically answers his questions on how SQ Foundation approaches the problems of not enough compost etc. It is a gradual realistic approach.
SquareFoot wrote:This has been a great discussion. I really enjoy how you all are trying to look for ways to improve the system. We are always looking for ways to improve, so if you do find something, let me know!. By the way, I do travel extensively to 3rd world countries for SFG and Yes, I teach 100% compost as that is all that is available there.

However, the point that it takes a while to make enough compost to use is also true. So I combine ideas here. I tell people to set up compost bins and start composting immediately. However, I also tell them to get planting in whatever they can get. If they only have dirt available, let's see what we can add now(husks, leaves, to increase aeration, friability,etc) and add diluted human urine or wood ash (which are fantastic fertilzers) for instant 'improved soil' (consistent use of Urea has shown to double the yield on many crops!) I then have families use the SFG system to plant efficiently.

Yes, there will be weeds in this improved mix while the compost builds, but they have handled that for generations, so that is not as big a turnoff. Once they see the crop sizes and yields compared to the amount of space they used, they are converted. Then when the compost is ready, we add that and increase the yield even more. I thought you guys might like some real like experiences here. Alan Wink

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 10/16/2012, 3:48 am

For the biochar issue, I was at a seminar in Aug for our continuing education in MG. We had a class on biochar. There are students doing their thesis on it. I will try to find some links for it. They are getting good results as an alternative to vermiculite.

"Biochar is the solid product of thermochemically processing biomass, used for agronomic or horticulture purposes. As soil amendments, chars have been shown to increase soil fertility by improving nutrient and water retention, lowering soil acidity and density, and increasing microbial activity. In addition, energy production from biomass that stores carbon as biochar can be considered carbon negative due to biochar’s high recalcitrance."

They are doing studies on the different sizes of the particles.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Damon 10/16/2012, 7:22 am

CindiLou wrote:For the biochar issue, I was at a seminar in Aug for our continuing education in MG. We had a class on biochar. There are students doing their thesis on it. I will try to find some links for it. They are getting good results as an alternative to vermiculite.

"Biochar is the solid product of thermochemically processing biomass, used for agronomic or horticulture purposes. As soil amendments, chars have been shown to increase soil fertility by improving nutrient and water retention, lowering soil acidity and density, and increasing microbial activity. In addition, energy production from biomass that stores carbon as biochar can be considered carbon negative due to biochar’s high recalcitrance."

They are doing studies on the different sizes of the particles.

Wow, that's good news. If you don't mind me asking, did you guys make biochar in the class, were they reporting their findings or what?
Damon
Damon

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 7:47 pm

I was saw recently a video on youtube about biochar being used in gardens and the new thing they are saying is charge the biochar.
By charging they say in a bucket of water to add mycorrhizae, remineralizer (rock dust or Sea-Crop), fish fert, seaweed and some other things and pour over the biochar. The biochar absorbs the liquid and is released into the garden.
Not sure how it would work as once it is used up (released) how do you recharge it. Unless you add these things the next season as a drench or foiler.
Anyways something to check out for those who are interested.

BTW could you not charge up the vermiculite the same way?
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/8/2013, 8:59 pm

I use Mel's Mix. No charging required Very Happy

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/8/2013, 9:54 pm

Before SFG I was looking into biochar to use as an amendment to my high pH clay ground and found that it adds alkaline to the soil so promptly forgot about it. You can make biochar by making a wood gas extractor which would also give creasol beside the gas. Just run a search on youtube and you will have as much info as you want.

Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 10:16 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I use Mel's Mix. No charging required Very Happy

RoOsTeR I don't know if that is quite true. When water is added to the soil I think that it mixes with the nutriments and minerals in the MM and the vermiculite is charged from that watering.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/8/2013, 10:21 pm

Gunny wrote:Before SFG I was looking into biochar to use as an amendment to my high pH clay ground and found that it adds alkaline to the soil so promptly forgot about it. You can make biochar by making a wood gas extractor which would also give creasol beside the gas. Just run a search on youtube and you will have as much info as you want.

I wont use biochar either Gunny. From what I have read it helps really bad soil and depletes good soil of it's nutriments and minerals.
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/9/2013, 4:09 am

The individual components of the Mel's mix doesn't need recharging. Adding compost to the mix after growing season will provide fertility and nutrition to the plants the next growing season.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/9/2013, 7:33 am

Righto, Camprn, 'nuff said.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 3/9/2013, 11:36 am

LikeToGarden wrote:
I wont use biochar either Gunny. From what I have read it helps really bad soil and depletes good soil of it's nutriments and minerals.

Biochar really shines in hot, humid climates where compost breaks down very quickly and leaching is a serious problem. It alleviates both problems.

I make biochar myself from items that don't compost well, such as peach and avocado pits, tough plant stalks, pine cones and bark, tree trimmings, chicken bones; all of which I place in a metal can (only a small opening at the bottom), which is then placed in the middle of my burn barrel. In the burn barrel I use old pallets, wax impregnated cardboard, and burnable home refuse. Once the inner can is hot, it will begin to offgas, which is the hydrogen portion of the material being driven off. As it offgasses, the fire will begin to roar, and the process becomes almost self sustaining. When that stops, the batch is done. I leave it for a day or two to cool, then run it though the garden shredder (dusty process). It's charged with urine or a little chicken poo with water, then added to the garden after a couple days.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 11:44 am

What does 'charged' mean? It sounds like a porous substance being soaked in a bath of something. In the case of MM isn't watering the compost going to 'charge' the vermiculite?
Isn't one of the reasons to use vermiculite something to do with transport of nutrients or something like that?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/9/2013, 12:05 pm

I guess you could consider adding a trowel of new compost to your mix, recharging or a recharge Razz

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 12:14 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I guess you could consider adding a trowel of new compost to your mix, recharging or a recharge Razz

Yeah, so is that what they are meaning?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/9/2013, 1:56 pm

Biochar sounds like a nerds words for good old honest to goodness charcoal
It is highly absorbant . Because of the absorbancy and the nutrality of it it is used in the air filters of chemical warfare respirators ( aka gas masks ) It is also used as steam activated charcoal on the insides of biological protection suits to name just a few uses

In a garden scenario all the charcoal will do is absorb the liquids/ moisture born nutrients around it till either the soil dries out taking some of th nutrient out of the charclal or when it is extracted by plant hairs . It will also act like as the place for roots to anchor to similar to vermiculite .

Something bothers me about using the charcoal ... I'll need to do some checking ...but I suspect it is because I have a vague mamory that it can be used to neutralize acids and as we all know plants like the stuff they grow in to be slightly acidic unless they are lime lovers . so it may well knock the balance of your MM out.

Back in a bit... I put biochar into wikki and found what I was looking for
Biochar might not be the best thing for the sfg's.

Anyone wanting to use their own money and do some experiments with some then report back giving detailed log pbesevations inc things like pH before adding it and at the end of year one , two and three as well as crops produced ???? Laughing

This is basically the wikki thing
Soil amendment
For plants that require high potash and elevated pH, biochar can be used as a soil amendment to improve yield. Biochar can improve water quality, reduce soil emissions of greenhouse gases, reduce nutrient leaching, reduce soil acidity, and reduce irrigation and fertilizer requirements
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 2:42 pm

Best article I have found so far. Seems like Biochar is a form of charcoal that has had all its volatiles driven off. But still when fresh it can be higher Ph, you would want to balance that. Maybe one can balance that with a more acidic 'charging'?The Basics of Biochar : A Natural Soil Amendment

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/9/2013, 2:50 pm

Biochar

The symposium eventually turned to name calling: it was proposed to drop the prefix “bio” from biochar, a “technical misnomer” – and a source of confusion in Europe where “bio” means certified natural farming. What’s the name to be? - “Plant Charcoal” (“Pflanzenkohle – it’s more accurate”).

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-farming/biochar-claims-overblown-zwfz1207zhun.aspx#ixzz2N4blkIjx

If this, biochar, is to be used instead of peat and vermiculite, the question is what long term benefit is there? Charcoal is wek in structure and pure carbon/coke need to be burned with regulated oxygen at around 900 degrees.

Better get some fire brick, build a coke oven, obtain a permit, and live in a remote area.....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next