Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 Toplef10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 I22gcj10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 Toplef10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 I22gcj10coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss

+23
Goosegirl
thegreatcob
SFGHQSTAFF
plantoid
bwaynef
CapeCoddess
Damon
Daniel9999
No_Such_Reality
donnainzone5
southern gardener
littlesapphire
sfgteachers
landarch
CharlesB
LittleGardener
rowena___.
floyd1440
Turan
RoOsTeR
camprn
walshevak
Ann Dee
27 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 Empty Re: Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 3:08 pm

You have to do all that anyways and more to mine and process vermiculite or perlite. It is an interesting thought for MM if it is actually true that it results in storing more CO2 than processing it produces.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

coir  peat - Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss - Page 5 Empty Re: Let's Work Together to Chart Alternatives to Vermiculite and Peat Moss

Post  plantoid 3/9/2013, 3:39 pm

That thing about storing the co2 ....

Hmmm ...... would it rob the plants of co2 , rob the fungi in the ground of co2 ?????

What would be the long term , medium and short term effect of absorbing co2 from the root areas instead of it doing things that mother nature intended ??
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 3:56 pm

It is supposed to be carbon stable. So not taking or adding carbon. The carbon it is storing is from that which it is made of. Like charring rice hulls and using that in a garden.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/9/2013, 3:58 pm

I think we can all agree that compost must be added every year. The question is how much and how available biochar is to SFGers?

I got my vermiculite and peat moss at one store, Agway, and now all I have to do is add compost every time I plant. Haven't met anyone who knows anything about or any place that sells biochar so it has not caught on in these parts.

Good luck with the production of this as it takes me back to my early days of helping pulling coke from beehive ovens. Sent some pics........
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/9/2013, 4:46 pm

WOW Good to have money...........

http://www.biochar.info/index.cfm?view=52.19&lan=en

affraid
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/9/2013, 4:58 pm

You could make one of these with that sort of money and make 40 times more at each session .
Perhaps use a concrete filled steel barrel with a steel bar inserted for the axle as the roller to crush it down and what goes through a 1/4 " sieve is good for the beds ???

http://www.charcoalburners.co.uk/charcoal.php

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 3/10/2013, 1:06 am

Charging is necessary, because it soaks up the plant nutrients, and can temporarily deprive them. Once it already has its capacity, it will slowly release them. And by holding onto these nutrients that leach easily, it reduces the need for fertilizer.

It's usually called biochar nowadays, but the original term is "terra preta" and it was a system of creating rich soils in the Amazon basin, where cleared land quickly becomes totally useless because of the heat oxydizing the humus, and tropical rains leaching the fertility.

It included not only charcoal originally, but also potsherds and fish bones.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/10/2013, 12:15 pm

Pollinator could you describe with more detail how you are making it?
It is an intriguing idea for part of how to deal with sorted garbage here on my acreage. We burn our trash and take the ash to the dump. My son just asked me if we might actually be better off to 'wash' the lye out of the ash and then would that be a good soil amendment and how would it differ from biochar? Welll it is an oxygenated fire,,,,,

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5