Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wet, wet, wet!!! Toplef10Wet, wet, wet!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wet, wet, wet!!! I22gcj10Wet, wet, wet!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wet, wet, wet!!! Toplef10Wet, wet, wet!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wet, wet, wet!!! I22gcj10Wet, wet, wet!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 12:18 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 5/11/2024, 5:24 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wet, wet, wet!!!

2 posters

Go down

Wet, wet, wet!!! Empty Wet, wet, wet!!!

Post  scmelik 6/30/2012, 9:32 pm

I went out today to turn my compost (I use 32 gallon garbage cans) and as I was rolling my active barrel around the yard I noticed some liquid running out of the barrel. When I set it up to see what was going on was about knocked on my butt by the smell, and as I started digging into it I saw how wet it was. I am talking WET. I haven't watered it in probably a month and a half I just keep adding stuff to it. I am guessing it smells so bad because its so wet. When I went to feel the stuff on the bottom I could tell that it was cold too so I am getting no heat production either which might be part of the problem with the smell.

I added a bunch of dry leaves from under my pine trees to it hoping that it would help soak up some of the moisture and mixed it up really well and plain on adding more tomorrow too. I also left the lid off of the can so some of the moisture can evaporate hopefully.

I have two things running through my head as to why it would be like this. One is that there is no where for the extra water to go like there would be with a pile that is just on the ground. Two with the lack of brown material going into the pile I have nothing to soak up the moisture in all of the green material I have been adding.

Could there be another problem? How should I fix this?
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Wet, wet, wet!!! Empty Re: Wet, wet, wet!!!

Post  Goosegirl 6/30/2012, 9:49 pm

scmelik - do you have air holes drilled in the garbage can? If it does not get air you will get the anaerobic activity which will work but it is wet, slimy, and SMELLY!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 6/30/2012, 9:52 pm

Goosegirl wrote:scmelik - do you have air holes drilled in the garbage can? If it does not get air you will get the anaerobic activity which will work but it is wet, slimy, and SMELLY!

GG

I have some but probably not enough. That was a thought too but I wasn't sure, I was about to go to town on all three cans with the drill but I was worried about loosing material out of the holes.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/30/2012, 10:08 pm

scmelik wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:scmelik - do you have air holes drilled in the garbage can? If it does not get air you will get the anaerobic activity which will work but it is wet, slimy, and SMELLY!

GG

I have some but probably not enough. That was a thought too but I wasn't sure, I was about to go to town on all three cans with the drill but I was worried about loosing material out of the holes.

Get the drill! Don't worry about losing stuff through the holes. I used a 1/4" drill bit and went to town. The only thing I have had leak out through the holes was just tonight when I poured a 16 oz. bottle of liquid chlorophyll into my tumbler. A few drips leaked out the bottom before I gave it a few spins. Once I tumbled it, the liquid was distributed and leakage stopped. It is doubtful that you will lose much, if anything. And what you will gain in aeration and lack of stink will definitely make up for it!

Wet, wet, wet!!! Pict0076

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 6/30/2012, 10:11 pm

i need a couple of bins like that. The garbage can thing while easy and cheap is a real big pain in the butt to roll around the yard.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/30/2012, 10:21 pm

I got them free from the local dry cleaner business. The delivery guy comes to our office weekly and he was telling me that their empty barrels disappear before they can be picked up by the waste company because everyone in their town loves them for garbage cans and you can see them all over town. I told him that I would love a few and on his next delivery day he brought 2 empties in his van. This one is made from the industrial strength bleach barrel. Sodium hypochlorite dissipates so readily that I had no problem using it. I rinsed it well several times and then left it open for several days for the chlorine to de-activate and I have had no problems with the bleach killing off the good stuff - it is composting, molding, and changing just fine. I might take issue with other cleaning chemicals, so if you can find a source, be picky about what was originally in them.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 7/1/2012, 9:19 am

Goosegirl wrote:I got them free from the local dry cleaner business. The delivery guy comes to our office weekly and he was telling me that their empty barrels disappear before they can be picked up by the waste company because everyone in their town loves them for garbage cans and you can see them all over town. I told him that I would love a few and on his next delivery day he brought 2 empties in his van. This one is made from the industrial strength bleach barrel. Sodium hypochlorite dissipates so readily that I had no problem using it. I rinsed it well several times and then left it open for several days for the chlorine to de-activate and I have had no problems with the bleach killing off the good stuff - it is composting, molding, and changing just fine. I might take issue with other cleaning chemicals, so if you can find a source, be picky about what was originally in them.

GG

I never thought about talking to the dry cleaner. With as much money as I spent down there while I worked at the bank that I should be able to get a couple of them.

scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/1/2012, 9:44 am

scmelik wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:I got them free from the local dry cleaner business. The delivery guy comes to our office weekly and he was telling me that their empty barrels disappear before they can be picked up by the waste company because everyone in their town loves them for garbage cans and you can see them all over town. I told him that I would love a few and on his next delivery day he brought 2 empties in his van. This one is made from the industrial strength bleach barrel. Sodium hypochlorite dissipates so readily that I had no problem using it. I rinsed it well several times and then left it open for several days for the chlorine to de-activate and I have had no problems with the bleach killing off the good stuff - it is composting, molding, and changing just fine. I might take issue with other cleaning chemicals, so if you can find a source, be picky about what was originally in them.

GG

I never thought about talking to the dry cleaner. With as much money as I spent down there while I worked at the bank that I should be able to get a couple of them.

I hope they are cooperative! The dry cleaner I got them from also does industrial laundry, that is why they have bleach barrels and soap/detergent barrels. Make sure you find out what was in them to make sure you are not lacing your compost with dry cleaning fluid!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 7/1/2012, 7:02 pm

wow I just went and put a bunch of 1/4" holes in the one garbage can and there was so much liquid in it that it literally ran out and continue for about 3 min. I guess it was really wet! Shocked Shocked Shocked
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/1/2012, 9:53 pm

scmelik wrote:wow I just went and put a bunch of 1/4" holes in the one garbage can and there was so much liquid in it that it literally ran out and continue for about 3 min. I guess it was really wet! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wet, wet, wet!!! 656620 That would definitely cause the stink! Wet, wet, wet!!! 656620 I only laugh because I have been there!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 7/1/2012, 9:59 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
scmelik wrote:wow I just went and put a bunch of 1/4" holes in the one garbage can and there was so much liquid in it that it literally ran out and continue for about 3 min. I guess it was really wet! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wet, wet, wet!!! 656620 That would definitely cause the stink! Wet, wet, wet!!! 656620 I only laugh because I have been there!

GG

it smelled awful. When the water started running out of it my dog was laying right next to me she even got up and left and this dog is a duck hunter so she lives in sloughs.

I really perferated the can and I have had the lid off for two days now so hopefully it will help with the moisture level and the stench. Im gonna leave the lid off for the day tomorrow and when I leave for the week I will put it back on.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/1/2012, 10:03 pm

scmelik wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

GG

it smelled awful. When the water started running out of it my dog was laying right next to me she even got up and left and this dog is a duck hunter so she lives in sloughs.

I really perferated the can and I have had the lid off for two days now so hopefully it will help with the moisture level and the stench. Im gonna leave the lid off for the day tomorrow and when I leave for the week I will put it back on.

I know that smell - almost makes me gag just thinking about it! In this heatwave we are having for the week it should dry out nicely.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum