Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Onions - Page 2 Toplef10Onions - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Onions - Page 2 I22gcj10Onions - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Onions - Page 2 Toplef10Onions - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Onions - Page 2 I22gcj10Onions - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Onions

+13
rowena___.
Missed-Em
TN_GARDENER
marietta mike
FamilyGardening
littlesapphire
CharlesB
jillintx
Bud Alexis
camprn
plantoid
AvaDGardner
enok
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Onions - Page 2 Empty green onion & chive question

Post  FamilyGardening 5/10/2012, 1:37 am

hi Very Happy

we planted some organic green onions that went bad in the frig...they have grown great!!.....i just said the other day to my children and hubby that we needed to cut the tops off and use them in our dinner.....well....went out today and they have shot up some flowers Shocked well not yet a flower but a flower pod..... not sure how long the flowers have been up...but..i didnt notice it a couple of days ago....so...my question is....can we still just cut the tops off and eat them and leave the bottoms to continue to grow?.....will they taste any differnt because they have bolted like other plants do?.....can we let some continue to flower and save seeds since it was an organic green onion?

same with the chives.....they came back from last year....but they have already sent up flowers too....Shocked

thanks

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Onions - Page 2 Empty Re: Onions

Post  marietta mike 5/10/2012, 3:52 am

I as well thought i had done something wrong. I double checked the plant to harvest info on the package. Yep i had read it before i bought it, Onion's take a great deal of time to get to harvest point. I have fine green shoots all over the place showing my green onions. They seemed to have come up over night then put there feet up and nothing. Still green though. My bulb onions have shown themselves as of yet, but i am not looking for a harvest until fall.

Good luck !

Marietta mike
marietta mike
marietta mike

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 5/10/2012, 9:56 am

I'm not terribly good with onions, either. However, I'm told you are supposed to plant according to where you live.

Onions - Page 2 Map_lr10
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Onions - Page 2 Empty Cajun Cookin

Post  Bud Alexis 5/10/2012, 11:44 am

If you noticed that I am from Louisiana. i was raised on cajun cooking, so if you know anything about our cooking, you know that as a part of our cooking basics we always use green onions as part of our seasoning. We mostly saute our seasoning, and either add it to the main ingredient or add the ingredient to the sauted seasoning. Along with the green onion we will also add a regular bulbed onion together for seasoning. Since my onions are starting to seed, and are not making bulbs, I was wondering if the tops could also be used as seasoning. Never have tried the stems on a bulbed onion. I would hate to waste good seasoning.

Sadly,THIS part of my garden has not yet been Mel Mixedized. I am working on that part as I can get to it. I did manage to get some compost and manure mix with regular dirt, best I could do for now. The ph is right, tho. The parts of my garden with MM is growing fantasticly. I planted the onions in March. We have had an unseasonably warm winter this time. My potato plants that I planted in early March are making potatoes,(Youcan Gold) about the size of softballs. The plants are still green and growing, some three feet tall. We are digging a few anyway and eating them.

I am going to dig up all the onions and try replanting. I hope the weather does not hinder. It can get really hot here with a lot of humidity. We have already had temps in the 90s. I really appreciate all your comments, which are very helpful, and useful. Thanks. Keep them coming and I will keep reading.
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/10/2012, 12:55 pm

Hey Bud, do you still have the package from the onion seed? By looking at your photo it looks like they may be 'bunching onions' which do not bulb out hugely. ALso, you may have actually picked them a month early if they are a bunching onion.
http://myfolia.com/plants/1152-bunching-onion-allium-fistulosum/varieties/18304-red-blush

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Onions - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Bud Alexis 5/10/2012, 11:22 pm

Normally I buy my onions from a farm supply. For some odd reason I was in a supermarket when I noticed these red button onions and also there were yellow ones so I bought them and planted them and voila. You see the result. Wont do that again. I will cut them up and use them for seasoning and if I can still find plantable onions at the feed store I will replant and hope for the best.
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 12:15 am

Not sure why my thread was merged with this one :scratch: ……I was wondering if you can still eat green onions after they flower? (same question with chives) Shocked

Can we cut the flower off and let it continue to grow?...does it change the taste like when other plants bolt?

Thanks……don’t want to hijack this thread….but since it was moved over thought I would ask again What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/11/2012, 6:54 am

If the onion plant is putting out flowering parts it means that the plant is reaching the end of the life cycle. Cutting off the flower stem will only slow the process down. Harvest the onions that are flowering for best results.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8166442_happens-onion-blooms.html

Chives will be fine, you can use the flowers in salads or as a garnish in other dishes.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Onions - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Missed-Em 5/13/2012, 9:11 am

Green onions are always one of the joys of sring. Pull when the size of a pencile, wash, salt the bulb and eat - use the green as a topping to a salad or add to stir fry, course it can always go into the compost bin, but I'd eat it.
Missed-Em
Missed-Em

Male Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/20/2012, 5:51 pm

we have harvested some of the replanted onions and they are sooo yummy!

here is a pic of one of the green onions that has gone bad in the refrig....sitting next to the harvested replanted one......wow....i think its safe to say that yes you can cut off the bad part of a green onion and replant it and it will grow Shocked
Onions - Page 2 Dscf0636

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/20/2012, 7:05 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:i think its safe to say that yes you can cut off the bad part of a green onion and replant it and it will grow

i've been doing this for a few years, and have had tremendous success.
http://www.romesticity.com/2010/04/reincarnated-onions.html

i haven't bought onions in at least two years, because we also harvest wild onions from our yard.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/20/2012, 7:26 pm

rowena....do you just cut the green part off of the onion all the way down and leave the white part of the onion in the ground to regrow....or do you pull up the onion then cut off the white bottom part and replant?

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/21/2012, 2:32 am

Rose, I must have jinxed myself talking about my green onions to you in that other thread. I said I've been cutting the same batch of green onions inherited from a neighbor for three years now and they've never made flowers. Well, they are doing it now. D'oh! Good thing I had randomly decided to hand my daughter a handful of green onion bottoms to try planting. In just a few days we could see that they were growing. So that works and we'll just do some more to fill in the holes where we harvest the ones going to seed. Pretty fun!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/21/2012, 2:59 am

it is fun!!

we gave one of those beauties to my sister tonight picked fresh from the garden along with some fresh harvested lettuce too!....she thought it was pretty cool!

it felt really good to share the harvest Very Happy now if i could only give up one of my tomato plants to her.....i told her i would....but...but...their my babies still....Embarassed i will be happy to share in the harvest of them.....just not sure i can let one go to someone elses house.....What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 5/21/2012, 8:31 am

FamilyGardening wrote:Not sure why my thread was merged with this one :scratch: ……I was wondering if you can still eat green onions after they flower? (same question with chives) Shocked

Can we cut the flower off and let it continue to grow?...does it change the taste like when other plants bolt?

rose

I think it is best to cut the chive flowers off as soon as they appear (though you can leave them to open if you want the flowers). I find that the green bit tastes better if you stop the flowers form developing. I just cut off whole chunks even if I don't plan to use it - it just grows right back.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/21/2012, 9:51 am

FamilyGardening wrote:rowena....do you just cut the green part off of the onion all the way down and leave the white part of the onion in the ground to regrow....or do you pull up the onion then cut off the white bottom part and replant?

both, according to what we need for cooking that day. Smile
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/21/2012, 10:45 am

ok, i just re-read your question and see that my response is probably confusing. Smile

what i meant is that sometimes i cut the greens without pulling the plant, and sometimes i pull the plant, cut the greens, and then replant elsewhere. the main reason i do this is to manage my crops--either for spacing or seasonal needs or companionship or what have you. but i have learned that i can cut the onion very close to the roots and replant and it will still come back, so if i need some of the white i go ahead and use as much as i need.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/21/2012, 10:50 am

rowena, I just planted some onions. not scallions and thought you might know the answer to my question..

The long leaves are just lying down across the square and not all perked up, is this normal?
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/21/2012, 11:29 am

kbb964 wrote:rowena, I just planted some onions. not scallions and thought you might know the answer to my question..

The long leaves are just lying down across the square and not all perked up, is this normal?

i haven't seen that, but i have never planted onions that still have much greens on them. how long have they been in the ground? i'd be tempted to trim the greens, but i think as long as they haven't started to wilt or turn yellow that they should probably be given a chance to prove themselves. they are the solar collectors for the bulb, so as long as they are functioning, i don't think it matters that they are lying down.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/21/2012, 11:36 am

I just transplanted them a couple of days ago. I bought them as starts and the eaves were very long but as they were all clumped together ina bunch they were stood up fairly straight.
I will try trimming them

kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/21/2012, 11:37 am

i am wondering whether i didnt plant deep enough
kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/21/2012, 12:43 pm

when we planted some of our onions from sets we trim off some of the green and planted the white part into the ground.....you dont have to have much green on it......

when we transplanted our onions that we started from seeds....the long thin green part was whimpy acting for a couple of days....just make sure to give them some water....they should perk up......Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/21/2012, 10:33 pm

I uprooted them , trimmed the roots, trimmed the tops and they are looking mighty fine now !

I found a video on you tube which was a great help Smile

kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  mtottle 5/29/2012, 3:49 am

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but it's my 3rd year of SFG. I'm an addict and it is starting to take over my back yard.. Smile This is my first year doing onions. I planted a couple hundred sets of various colors back in March, and they seem to be doing very well.

However it appears the wild temperature swings have affected them and a bunch of them are bolting. Since I know flowering onions are doomed, I started pulling them to cook with.. Now I came across Rowena's post about 'reincarnation', and in the link it shows that the onion will regrow from a small sliver of the bulb base. This has me wondering if you do that with an onion that has bolted, will it regrow an intact bulb without the flower stalk that can be stored? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Here's a pic of the first few I pulled. Used them in stir-fry.. It was delicious! Smile

Onions - Page 2 20120517190221
mtottle
mtottle

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 5/29/2012, 10:27 am

it's always worth a try--after all, if you don't plant it, what are you going to do with it?
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next