Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mustard Greens Toplef10Mustard Greens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mustard Greens I22gcj10Mustard Greens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mustard Greens Toplef10Mustard Greens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mustard Greens I22gcj10Mustard Greens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mustard Greens

+16
sanderson
BeetlesPerSqFt
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
Razed Bed
Cuthbert
Denese
camprn
TexasAggie
mijejo
CWJones
littlejo
Too Tall Tomatoes
RoOsTeR
walshevak
Bluphrog
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mustard Greens Empty Mustard Greens

Post  Bluphrog 4/26/2012, 2:10 pm

Does anyone have a recipe for mustard greens? I was gifted with some (with more to come, I am sure), but I'm a displaced Yankee and have never cooked greens in my life. I was also given a bunch of turnips -- greens and all, and I know you can cook those, too. I just don't know how.

Help, please!
Bluphrog
Bluphrog

Back to top Go down

Mustard Greens Empty Re: Mustard Greens

Post  walshevak 4/26/2012, 4:38 pm

I just put em in a pot of boiling water and cook until tender. Turnips, cook the root a bit first, then add the greens. Back in the day when cholesteral wasn't a problem, I would cook a chuck of cured pork meat - ham hock, country ham chips, side meat, etc - in the water first then add the greens. FYI mustard and turnip greens are a bit bitter. That's why they go so well with pork or BBQ sauced meat.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluphrog 4/26/2012, 4:59 pm

Thanks. I think the bitterness is the reason I didn't like them the one time I tried them. I'll try anything once, but if I don't like it, it's hard for me to try again. I saw a cooking show once that said blanch them in boiling water, throw that water out and cook them in fresh water. Sounded like too much trouble for me. But I don't want to waste them. Oh, well, if I don't like them, the rest can go into the compost, right?

The only way I've ever cooked turnips is to boil and mash like potatoes, so I was going to try a turnip, potato, carrot mash and see how that comes out.
Bluphrog
Bluphrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluphrog 4/26/2012, 5:00 pm

Oh, and a friend of mine doesn't use pork in her beans, greens, etc., anymore. She uses smoked turkey legs. I tried it in the last bean soup I made, and it was pretty tasty.
Bluphrog
Bluphrog

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/26/2012, 5:14 pm

Smoked turkey legs huh. I'll have to try that. I've missed my cured meat flavor.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/26/2012, 5:25 pm

The only way I've ever cooked turnips is to boil and mash like potatoes, so I was going to try a turnip, potato, carrot mash and see how that comes out

Bluphrog, turnips are fantastic raw just sprinkled with salt and pepper, or cut up and tossed in a fresh salad Mustard Greens 3170584802

Mustard Greens Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/26/2012, 5:26 pm

or for some oriental flavor, marinate sliced turnips in sesame oil, soy sauce, fresh ginger, and garlic.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/26/2012, 5:54 pm

In the south, mustard and turnips are fall crops, for they have better flavor after they have had a frost. Mustard loses the bitterness. Both are better with some smoked pork.

Jo

Last edited by littlejo on 4/26/2012, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  CWJones 4/27/2012, 12:15 am

Dice 3 or 4 slices of bacon and fry the bits crisp, set aside bits and save the drippings. Bring about 4 cups of water to a fast boil with a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 cup sugar (takes the bite off a bit). Add the greens to the boiling water until all is in, amazing how fast it cooks down. Add the bacon drippings and reduce heat to a simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes until tender. Serve with the bacon bits and pepper sauce (home made) and cornbread.

I personally prefer without the sugar but my wife doesn't like the extra bite. I would also add some polk salad but she wouldn't eat it at all then, just the thought but she won't try it. But then you do have to blanch and pour off the water 2 or 3 times.

ENJOY CWJ
CWJones
CWJones

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 4/27/2012, 6:07 am

I tasted a small mustard leaf right in the garden. It reminded me of horseradish. Does that sound right? Frankly, I enjoyed it, but I think I could only handle it in small quantities.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/27/2012, 6:14 am

mijejo wrote:I tasted a small mustard leaf right in the garden. It reminded me of horseradish. Does that sound right? Frankly, I enjoyed it, but I think I could only handle it in small quantities.

Yep....that sounds about right to me. If you like the taste but think you can only handle it in small quantities, try mixing it with other greens like collards, kale, swiss chard, etc. What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasAggie 7/19/2014, 4:18 pm

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
mijejo wrote:I tasted a small mustard leaf right in the garden. It reminded me of horseradish. Does that sound right? Frankly, I enjoyed it, but I think I could only handle it in small quantities.

Yep....that sounds about right to me. If you like the taste but think you can only handle it in small quantities, try mixing it with other greens like collards, kale, swiss chard, etc. What a Face

how many to the square?
TexasAggie
TexasAggie

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/19/2014, 4:37 pm

TexasAggie wrote:
Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

how many to the square?
It depends upon which greens you choose to plant.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mustard Greens WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 7/21/2014, 9:44 am

TexasAggie wrote:
Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

how many to the square?

When I plant my mustard greens, I always plant 4 per square.  Very Happy
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuthbert 5/13/2015, 3:20 pm

I have never had a bitter mustard green.  This could be because I cook them for at least 3 hours in very lightly salted water and use a little smoked beef sausage instead of a ham hock.  We prefer Hillshire Farms sausage.

As far as turnips, we love the greens, can't stand the cooked root.  I can eat the root raw with salt, but when cooked they are one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. 

Add a dash of pepper sauce to the greens and the flavor is off the charts.
Cuthbert
Cuthbert

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Mustard Greens Empty I'm all about the greens

Post  Razed Bed 5/14/2015, 10:40 am

Greens are so good for you.  Some may have an issue with oxalic acid, but there are low oxalate greens, like Lacinato Kale.

We grow a lot of mustard, and if you add the proper minerals, your greens should not be bitter if you pick them a tad early rather than late.  Pick them in the morning before the sun heats them.

Here's a sneaky way to get more greens in your diet if you are squeamish.  Add them to smoothies and juices with sweeter fruits and vegetables.

Greens from many things can be used.  Besides turnips, mustard, and beet greens, one of the tastiest varieties is radish greens.  I do not particularly care for the radish itself; my wife roasts them and eats them like candy.  I love the tops.  Yes, she is from the North, and I am from the South.

I grow mostly greens, so in a couple of squares, rather than plant 16 radishes, I plant about 40.  The greens come up, but the roots don't expand.  I also keep a separate trash can full of extra high nitrogen compost mixed with Azomite, and I spread it on in my MM in the squares with my greens.

I also make microgreens indoors with all the greens.  You can do this start to finish in less than 2 weeks, and microgreens are super charged with nutrition. 

If you are game, try growing wheatgrass and broccolis sprouts with your microgreens.  If you put these in your morning juice/smoothie, you will be in the top 1% in this country in getting the proper amount of green veggie servings.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Mustard Greens Empty BUMP!

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/28/2017, 8:59 pm

OK, I have never eaten nor grown mustard greens, but hear about everyone loving this spicy leaf, just got this seed today;

http://www.rareseeds.com/japanese-giant-red-mustard-greens/

Super excited!  Other than sautéing with chard, etc., what to do? Can I just lay this on a sandwich?  What is the texture?  Chard-like?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Mustard Greens Empty RE: Mustard Greens

Post  newbeone 4/28/2017, 9:23 pm

I love Hocks but I save them for beans, When I cook greens it usually a mix, I found a recipe on line calls for 2 cups chicken broth 2 cups water one bunch greens chopped in a large pot bring to a boil and simmer for thirty minutes to an hour, I normally add onion and garlic.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/28/2017, 9:52 pm

newbeone wrote:I love Hocks but I save them for beans, When I cook greens it usually a mix, I found a recipe on line calls for 2 cups chicken broth 2 cups water one bunch greens chopped in a large pot bring to a boil and simmer for thirty minutes to an hour, I normally add onion and garlic.
 SOUNDS LOVELY!  Thanks!  New frontier...

Keep 'em coming please!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/28/2017, 11:49 pm

I grow the Burpee version of Red Giant. I also grow Green Wave mustard. I've used the younger leaves of both torn small as part of salad blends. I also like adding them to Indian curries or sauteeing them for omelets/quiches, or otherwise using them as a substitute for cooked spinach in recipes. They aren't as thick/tender as chard or spinach.

Wild Garden Seed divides their mustards into 'mild' and 'pungent.' They list Green Wave as pungent, they don't have Red Giant - I suspect it's also listed as pungent. I should do a taste test once more of my varieties are up for comparison. I'm growing 4 new to me types of mustard this year: Greens in Snow "Shi-Li-Hon" (pungent), Pink Lettucy(mild), Ruby Streaks(mild), and Osaka Purple (pungent). I think cooking takes the heat out of most of the mustard greens.
I'm also taking a second attempt at Black Mustard (for seeds.)

I can't taste all bitter compounds ('nontaster'; can't taste PTC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster), so I don't know that not having tasted bitter in mustard greens is 'me' or the greens!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/29/2017, 3:47 am

As SR asked, when is the texture? Is it hairy?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/29/2017, 8:35 am

Following this thread with interest as I'm growing mustard greens for the first time. "Florida Broadleaf"
http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloom-vegetable-seeds/l-pa/mustard-heirloom-seeds/florida-broadleaf-mustard.html
They don't look hairy in the picture.

This website says the baby greens can be used in salads. I'm pretty sure that's what I would do. And maybe blanch & freeze or can some larger ones for winter.
http://www.everwilde.com/store/Florida-Broadleaf-Mustard-Seeds.html
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 4/29/2017, 10:39 am

Does your mustard greens look like this?
Mustard Greens Japane10

If so, it's "Japanese giant red mustard greens" and I dearly LOVE it and your right about tasting like horseradish. I can't walk past it without snacking on it.  It's also great on a bologna samich with onions and mayo. I have 5 mustard green plants growing throughout my SFG's. It's really a beautiful plant and scrump-dilly-icous.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/29/2017, 12:18 pm

MrBooker wrote:
Mustard Greens Japane10

If so, it's "Japanese giant red mustard greens" and I dearly LOVE it and your right about tasting like horseradish. I can't walk past it without snacking on it.  It's also great on a bologna samich with onions and mayo. I have 5 mustard green plants growing throughout my SFG's. It's really a beautiful plant and scrump-dilly-
Yes!  That is exactly the one!  Sounds like I should wait til Fall, am I right?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 4/29/2017, 12:51 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
Mustard Greens Japane10

If so, it's "Japanese giant red mustard greens" and I dearly LOVE it and your right about tasting like horseradish. I can't walk past it without snacking on it.  It's also great on a bologna samich with onions and mayo. I have 5 mustard green plants growing throughout my SFG's. It's really a beautiful plant and scrump-dilly-
Yes!  That is exactly the one!  Sounds like I should wait til Fall, am I right?
The taste will mellow after a good frost.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum