Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ticks - Page 2 Toplef10Ticks - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ticks - Page 2 I22gcj10Ticks - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ticks - Page 2 Toplef10Ticks - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ticks - Page 2 I22gcj10Ticks - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ticks

+21
plantoid
GWN
ETNRedClay
newtgirl
jazzycat
NHGardener
llama momma
quiltbea
mollyhespra
R&R 1011
donnainzone5
elysia
walshevak
ericam
elliephant
Grandpop
KDeus
givvmistamps
littlejo
RoOsTeR
camprn
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ticks - Page 2 Empty Re: Ticks

Post  ETNRedClay 6/27/2013, 1:42 am

I use flea/tick collars on dogs and around my ankels over my boots, when we hike. Works well. Take collars off when we get home and store them in a zipper baggie. Dogs are on monthly topical flea/tick, but the woods and fields are overrun some years with ticks.
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/27/2013, 10:11 am

I wonder if 4-6 peeled cloves of garlic in a net bag, pinned to your shirt and your pants and your socks would keep away the ticks? It might be worth a try and you won't have to spray yourself with that heavy smell of garlic.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/27/2013, 10:31 am

DEET works pretty well too. I used to go the organic route, citronella and all that. Not any more, due to tick borne disease.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ticks - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/27/2013, 10:48 am

This topic is  so important yet has me so freaked out.
After reading this stuff I went outside and was killing a few Colorado potato beetles with long sticks ( weenie I am ).  I was deep in thought between squishing gross bugs and thoughts of ticks when one of the barn cats walked up behind and rubbed my leg. Poor barn cat totally freaked out over my girly jumping and not so girly words. What a Face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/27/2013, 11:28 am

Speaking of ticks, I have had many in the past and  just saw this THE TICK KEY
BASICALLy a tick removal system

In "Lee Valley" which is a Canadian Gardening store. Looks pretty cool to have in your pocket for your animals or yourself.
Just google "the tick key" to find out where in the US you can get one.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/27/2013, 6:18 pm

" http://www.bada-uk.org/wordpress " is a website about ticks that I have recently been proof reading for my friends who built it .

There is a comprehensive guide to pictures and action plus loads of other useful info about them . IMPO it is a worthwhile read if you live in tick infested areas .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  newtgirl 6/27/2013, 6:57 pm

I like ProTick over the tick key. It's smaller and it's easier to use on a tick you can't actually see (say the back of your head). Plus it's thin enough you can keep one in your wallet; you'll always have it with you!

I've had more ticks on me in one year than most people see their entire lifetime. Par for the course for biologists! As an aside, DEET will eat through plastic. Not the kind of stuff I want on my skin. I will say that a lot of my field gear is treated with permethrin, but not stuff that comes in direct contact with my skin.

I picked off a crawling tick headed up the back of my neck at walmart today. I always seem to find ticks on me at walmart... I'm sure that's a sign!
newtgirl
newtgirl

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/27/2013, 9:13 pm

newtgirl wrote:I like ProTick over the tick key. It's smaller and it's easier to use on a tick you can't actually see (say the back of your head). Plus it's thin enough you can keep one in your wallet; you'll always have it with you!
I have a tick remover (I think it's called "Ticked Off" or something like that) that looks like a small spoon & tweezer in one, only it's got a notch at the end so that when you place it over the tick & pinch the head, it only closes up to the tick's "neck" as it were, which then makes it easy to pull off.  I used it on DH last year when he had a tick embedded & it worked like a charm!

The thing to remember regardless of what type of remover you use is to not squeeze the tick when trying to take it out so that you don't inadvertently force it's fluids into you, which can contribute to catching any disease the tick might carry.

It may take a certain number of hours of a tick being embedded before bacteria are transmitted "normally", but you don't want to help the process along by forcing the tick to regurgitate into you as you're pulling it out.  It's a gross thought, I know, but better to know than not with the stakes as high as they are.

I've had more ticks on me in one year than most people see their entire lifetime. Par for the course for biologists! As an aside, DEET will eat through plastic. Not the kind of stuff I want on my skin. I will say that a lot of my field gear is treated with permethrin, but not stuff that comes in direct contact with my skin.

snip
YES!  Permethrin works great!!!  And supposedly, it metabolizes out of your skin within 10 minutes leaving no poisonous residue while staying bonded to fabric through a bunch of washings.

That being said, it's highly toxic to bees, other insects, and CATS.  I have some friends who suspect their two cats died after coming in contact with their dog's tick repellent which contained Permethrin.

DH has a set of hiking gear/clothes that he keeps in the garage (which is unattached to the house & the cats never go in there) so that we can prevent the kitties from coming in contact with them.  When stuff needs washing we actually hang them inside the garage to drip-dry to be really sure nothing comes in contact with them since the Permethrin is still bonded to the fabric. 

But it is great stuff against ticks!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/28/2013, 5:39 am

[quote="newtgirl"]I like ProTick over the tick key. It's smaller and it's easier to use on a tick you can't actually see (say the back of your head). Plus it's thin enough you can keep one in your wallet; you'll always have it with you!

I picked off a crawling tick headed up the back of my neck at walmart today. I always seem to find ticks on me at walmart... I'm sure that's a sign![/quote]

I bet it's because your a party animal Newt.... Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/14/2014, 9:37 am

BUMP!

Time for a reminder to check for those dratted ticks! 

We've gotten a bunch on us just from the backyard, and they've been "out" for about a month now up our way.  I imagine others have been seeing ticks sooner.  So, check for ticks!!! 

And also remember that some tick-repellants/poisons are also toxic/deadly to bees and cats, so use judiciously and/or be very alert to the little pesties!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 6/17/2014, 12:30 pm

Found one crawling in our bed yesterday (shudder).  Dogs are getting baths and started on flea/ tick control today.  Last week, pulled a tick feeding off my daughter for atleast a day or two.  She seems to be okay.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2014, 1:22 pm

Tick removal recommendations:
http://mypeted.com/pet-health/articles/tick-removal-from-dogs-and-cats/

Tick and disease information:
http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/cdcs/lyme/documents/arboavoid.pdf

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/what-to-do-after-a-tick-bite-to-prevent-lyme-disease-beyond-the-basics#H1

The Tick Key is awesome.
Ticks - Page 2 P4230119

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ticks - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/17/2014, 2:06 pm

That was extremely informative and pertinent.  Thank you.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2014, 2:08 pm

cpl100 wrote:That was extremely informative and pertinent.  Thank you.
Yup yup! Wink 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/17/2014, 2:41 pm

I'm so skeeved out about ticks that I dress like I'm on safari when I go outside: tuck the pants into my calf-high socks & wear long sleeves.  DH isn't quite as diligent, so I've pulled two off him that were embedded to varying degrees.  I've found at least a half-dozen on me, but thankfully only on my exterior clothing. 

R&R, check the site where your daughter had the tick.  If the area feels "hard", it may be that the tick was on her long enough to inject it's fluids into her (I don't know if it's technically tick saliva or what but it anesthetizes and hardens the area so you don't feel it biting into you).  Anyway, if it's been on you long enough to harden the area, you could potentially be exposed to any diseases the tick may be carrying.  You may want to have her checked out and ask about being given a prophylactic dose of antibiotics by her pediatrician.  How bad is Lyme in your area?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2014, 2:43 pm

mollyhespra wrote:If the area feels "hard", it may be that the tick was on her long enough to inject it's fluids into her (I don't know if it's technically tick saliva or what but it anesthetizes and hardens the area so you don't feel it biting into you).  Anyway, if it's been on you long enough to harden the area, you could potentially be exposed to any diseases the tick may be carrying.  You may want to have her checked out and ask about being given a prophylactic dose of antibiotics by her pediatrician.  How bad is Lyme in your area?
The time line for infection is covered in the link I posted. Also, not all ticks are disease vectors for humans.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/14/2015, 7:24 am

BUMP!

It's a really BAD year for ticks up my way, and since I'm further North than most of you, they've only been "out" in the last week or so for us, but that only means I should have bumped this topic sooner because most of you will have been seeing ticks for quite a while now.

Remember to do your research before using any kind of tick repellent being as some of them are highly toxic to cats, bees and other insects (permethrin).

BUT also remember that Lyme disease is a very real thing and not something to be messed with. Wear long pants when you go outside and tuck the bottoms into your socks, check often and thoroughly, and if you find an embedded tick, be careful when removing it not to squeeze the tick's body as that may cause it to regurgitate into your flesh, increasing the likelihood of exposure.

Make sure you put your used "outside" clothes where your pets can't get into them and wash and dry them as soon as is practicable. Ticks can survive a trip through the wash cycle, but they'll die after 20 minutes of a tumble through the dryer (dehydrates them).

We've found that if a tick gets in the house, it will find a wall or corner to climb up and hang out there, at a height of about a foot and a half, waiting for it's victim. When we've been outside, we not only check ourselves and our clothes, but also our walls and our (inside) cats just in case. I've found ticks on them that must have fallen off of us. And pets can get sick from Lyme disease, too.

Safe gardening everyone! I love you
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Ticks - Page 2 Empty Another Removal Method

Post  Razed Bed 5/14/2015, 10:24 am

My wife is an essential oil expert.  She must have every essential oil on the market.  When we get ticks, she dabs a combination of tea tree and lavender oils on the tick and around the area.  The tick always disembarks on its own.  You don't have to worry about getting the head out or squeezing anything from the tick into the body.

BTW, our homemade yard spray works wonderfully, but only for about 48 hours.  It has to be reapplied every 2 days, and this is without rain for the last 3 weeks.  Our lawn is slowly turning to desert with more dirt than grass.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/14/2015, 12:30 pm

mollyhespra wrote:BUMP!
We've found that if a tick gets in the house, it will find a wall or corner to climb up and hang out there, at a height of about a foot and a half, waiting for it's victim.

"Questing" or hitch hiking, waiting for a meal to walk by.We have them in the foothills. Recommended to walk on the downhill side of paths.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/15/2015, 10:02 am

mollyhespra wrote:BUT also remember that Lyme disease is a very real thing and not something to be messed with.

This is no joke. I went to school with a kid who died from Lyme. A guy a work with now, his wife got it last spring. It tore her up bad. She survived, but is having residual effects from it and the "experts" can't seem to figure it out.

Some may frown upon it, but I put Ortho Bug-B-Gon on the lawn 2-3 times a year. No ticks, chiggers, or other pests. It's a nuclear option, but something I'm willing to live with since you water it in and it doesn't just sit around.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Ticks - Page 2 Empty Tick Experiment After One Month

Post  Razed Bed 5/25/2015, 9:38 am

I must report that our neem oil-essential oil spray was only partially effective.

Spraying the yard, walk, patio, and porch with a combination of neem oil & neem shampoo, cinnamon oil, clove oil, and rosemary oil seems to have controlled chiggers to some extent, but it has done little if anything for ticks.

Sunday, my wife and I both had 3 ticks after working in the garden for about 2 hours.  5 of the combined 6 ticks were deer ticks.  One was almost hidden inside the spot where another tick had previously left a mark.

It worked better during our 4-week drought, but once it began to rain every 2 to 3 days for the last 2 weeks, reapplication has been less and less effective.

We will under no circumstances result to poisonous chemicals.  Too many things are carcinogenic.

This morning, my wife made up a new batch of citronella and other essential oils with jojoba oil, and as much as I detest the odor, it will be applied to us rather than the yard when we go out to garden.

Pests are the one thing that could convince us to stick with using CSAs for our produce.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2