Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Toplef10never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again I22gcj10never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Toplef10never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again I22gcj10never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

+27
Gunny
FamilyGardening
CapeCoddess
cpl100
Triciasgarden
songstriss
alexrobort
greatgranny
elliephant
TN_GARDENER
martha
tomperrin
Kelejan
kgooding
Goosegirl
BackRiver_SFG
subsonic
BetsyC
GWN
kbb964
brenda g
plantoid
JustMe
littlesapphire
kittykat
walshevak
rose1971
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

Post  rose1971 4/24/2012, 6:42 pm

I thought this was pretty neat and wanted to share a link I found :-)

http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/growing-celery-indoors-never-buy-celery.html

I cannot wait to give it a try.
rose1971
rose1971

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty Re: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

Post  walshevak 4/24/2012, 7:09 pm

I'm also interested in the bok choy regrowing at the bottom. I've always pulled the entire bok choy plant because it bolts so quickly. But now I'm thinking I should just be giving it a haircut and letting it grow back.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty Re: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

Post  rose1971 4/24/2012, 7:35 pm

From this Link you can basically do the same with Bok Choy check it out. Hope it works out. I love learning about new things and I've been planting on/off for years.

http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-regrowing-bok-choy.html
rose1971
rose1971

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/24/2012, 7:52 pm

rose1971 wrote:I thought this was pretty neat and wanted to share a link I found :-)

http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/growing-celery-indoors-never-buy-celery.html

I cannot wait to give it a try.

Well! Who'da thunk? The kids will be thrilled about this one! Got an almost-done celery in the fridge right now that will make a good candidate!
Thanks for posting!! never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again 3170584802
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/24/2012, 9:28 pm

What?! That's so cool! I need to go start this right now.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 4/25/2012, 12:42 am

Thanks for sharing this! I was looking at celery plants at the store and wondered if it would be worth growing it at home. But regrowing something that I would have stuck in the compost bin is definitely worth a try. Same with the green onions. Wow.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/25/2012, 5:29 am

There was a thread about this a week or so ago . I started mine then. when the celery reached two inches high I planted it out in MM ( yesterday ) and watered it in well .

Photo's taken and will be put up with observations when the first hand is harv ested.

I plan on doing this with celery for the next three or four months to provide us with a succession of a plant a week .

Once harvested I'll do the same again to the regrown stump & see just how many regrows I can get . The retained part of the hand of celery used for this experiment is stood up right in the wine bottle holder area of the fridge in a food grade polybag with a 1/4 inch of water in the bottom . It's been there 6 days and is still quite edible cooked or raw.

I hope to try and overwinter grow some celery produced in this manner in the office in plastic buckets away from the slugs ,frosts and bad weather , at least it will blanch easily away from strong light .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 4/25/2012, 11:30 am

Ha! I tried to grow celery from seed a few months ago and it was truly an exercise in frustration! Thanks for posting the link - I am sooo excited to try this!! Very Happy
brenda g
brenda g

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/25/2012, 12:25 pm

I am going to go buy celery tonight, hopefully my last buy till fall?
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/29/2012, 10:56 am

Hey guys! I've been experimenting with the celery regrowth, and it's working out really well for me! Anyone else trying it?

I just wanted to say that I found out there are OTHER things you can regrow, lots of things! You can do the same thing with bok choy, with lettuce, with green onions, I even saw carrots. Now I'm curious what else you could do this with!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/29/2012, 11:35 am

I am definitely going to give this a try.
The celery I grew from seed has been quite interesting, in that I grew way too much and transplanted them to 3 inch peat pots gradually.
Oddly enough a few of them are WAY ahead of the others, I am thinking perhaps tiny variations in my mels mix is perhaps responsible for the difference. (each batch is not identical)
I would LOVE to have celery on my windowsill all winter. COOL
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/6/2012, 11:00 pm

That seems too easy and cool to even work, but the proof is in those photos, so I am going to have to give this a spin myself! I love you
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 5/7/2012, 1:53 am

I am in
anytime I can find a way to get free starts, I am all over it, who would have thought?
but then I have done a lot of starts from stuff I bought at the store
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty for the winter crop!

Post  BackRiver_SFG 5/7/2012, 5:44 am

Neat article. Thanks for sharing.
I have decided that during the long cold winter months that I am going to grow a small indoor garden this winter. Fresh basic leaf lettuce salads now to include celery! Can't wait to try.
BackRiver_SFG
BackRiver_SFG

Male Posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/7/2012, 7:23 am

I am looking forward to trying this! I never use more than a few stalks at a time, so I am hoping I can grow one and cut stalks as I need them instead of letting the whole thing turn floppy!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/7/2012, 7:40 am

I love this idea! I use very little celery in our house so whenever I buy it I end up using less than half the stalk and the rest goes bad. I've never grown celery so I have to ask, can you just cut off stalks as you need them? If you could if would be worth it to grow just for the fact that I wouldn't have to throw so much away!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/7/2012, 9:21 am

I missed this thread until now, but the funny thing is that I discovered by accident that I could regenerate a bok choy base as I chopped off the upper prtions as I needed them, then found that the stub was pushing out these little yellow leaves. so I did almost exactly what it showed in the blog but did not get as far as transplanting into soil.

And there I thought I had had discovered something all by myself. Very Happy

For a single person who wants to plant half a dozen transplants when there is so much else to grow.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/7/2012, 9:27 am

Kgooding, I have read several places that you can just cut off stalks as you need them!

Ok guys, I've been experimenting with this idea. I got some "artisan" lettuce (I guess that's what they call lettuce that's not iceberg), cut off the leaves, and stuck them in the water with my celery. They've been taking off! They're really doing great. My celery has been very slow to take off, but as you can see, it's finally getting some baby stalks coming up. I think I put this in water maybe two weeks ago.

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Dsc_7837

Now I just need to figure out what to do with it now... I'm not really sure how to plant it.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/7/2012, 10:11 am

I decided just to plant them outside in the planter I set up for them. I'll let you all know how it goes!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty Reply with quote Report post to moderator or admin Lock post for new reports Re: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

Post  tomperrin 5/10/2012, 6:39 pm

As soon as I noticed this thread three days ago I rushed to the fridge, cut off the celery stalk leaving a couple of inches of stalk and shoved it into an empty square. Today, the center leaves are shooting up.
How cool is that?! Takes a lot less time than planting from seed.

Add celery to the list of vegetables that can be started from the supermarket aisles.

My short list so far:

potatoes (organic)
white pearl onions
garlic
leeks (no first hand experience here)
celery

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty Huh?

Post  tomperrin 5/10/2012, 7:41 pm

"Reply with quote Report post to moderator or admin Lock post
for new reports Re: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again"

Huh?
tomperrin
tomperrin

Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/10/2012, 8:00 pm

Mine is growing, too, Tom. I stuck in a second one today. And I stuck mine in dirt first, then read the directions! But it grew anyway - made me very happy!

T(hat reply stuff looks like an elbow resting on a wrong button to me!)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/10/2012, 8:51 pm

Just want to report that my celery only really started to grow once it was outside in the dirt! The lettuce is also doing well, it's getting much bigger and the red lettuce has turned red! Once it's warmer I'll take a picture. Next time, I'm only going to soak the celery and lettuce in water overnight before planting.

Tom, that's a pretty cool list you have there. I never thought of using pearl onions, but I guess it makes perfect sense. How wel do store bought potatoes do in the garden? I know people say never use store bought potatoes,but a lot of SFG folks seem to do it. It would sure cost a lot less, at least.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again Empty Store bought spuds in the garden

Post  tomperrin 5/11/2012, 8:47 am

littlesapphire wrote: How well do store bought potatoes do in the garden? I know people say never use store bought potatoes,but a lot of SFG folks seem to do it. It would sure cost a lot less, at least.

Here's a photo of my spuds from a month ago.

never buy celery - Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again 7084621603_1949162b47_c

A month after this photo was taken, my store bought spuds are in full flower. I bought the supermarket potatoes from two different stores back in November and stored them in a cool dark place in my garage. Temps in the garage varied from 40F to 55F. I used only organic potatoes. When I planted them they had all sprouted. I used generic russets, reds and yellows. Of these, I only had a handful of reds, and they seem to have done the best, going by the tops. Total cost of seed potatoes for this 3.5' x 8' bed was $15.00 ($4.99 for 5 lbs). Compare that with the $16 a pound I spent for certified organic seed potatoes, and the sixty cents a pound I spent for ordinary seed potatoes. An additional benefit of the store bought is that I could get these in the ground long before I could get certified seed potatoes shipped, as shippers don't want to risk freezing the potatoes in transit.

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 5/11/2012, 10:25 am

littlesapphire wrote:Just want to report that my celery only really started to grow once it was outside in the dirt! The lettuce is also doing well, it's getting much bigger and the red lettuce has turned red! Once it's warmer I'll take a picture. Next time, I'm only going to soak the celery and lettuce in water overnight before planting.

Tom, that's a pretty cool list you have there. I never thought of using pearl onions, but I guess it makes perfect sense. How wel do store bought potatoes do in the garden? I know people say never use store bought potatoes,but a lot of SFG folks seem to do it. It would sure cost a lot less, at least.

My celery also has done well in the garden. As I understand it, it likes moist soil and can turn bitter if stressed too much. I also see that folks either hill dirt around the stalks to blanch them, or wrap newspaper around them (I'm going to try the newspaper in hopes it makes them easier to clean).

As far as the store bought tater thing goes, the main reason is they tend to spray store bought taters with growth inhibitors (they'll still sprout, but it might take longer). I'd go the same route as tomperin and just buy organic potatoes for the garden (some grocery stores sell em by the pound, so you can buy just what you need).
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next