Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Toplef10strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos I22gcj10strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Toplef10strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos I22gcj10strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos

+19
gregrenee88
llama momma
rod champion
WolfHeart
quiltbea
cheyannarach
GWN
camprn
RUTBUSTER
kbb964
littlesapphire
kittykat
CharlesB
dixie
mschaef
RoOsTeR
Ha-v-v
Chopper
kat51415
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos

Post  kat51415 4/16/2012, 1:08 am

This will be my photo journal of our SFG adventure. We spent a week at home over the Easter holiday and got the ball rolling. Our first day home, we went to Lowe's and got what we could there because it was closer to home than Tulsa. We severely overloaded our little trailer and had to stop and re-load it to distribute the weight more evenly for the 72 mile trip home.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 1_lowe11

The next day, we took a 150 mile road trip to Tulsa to pick up the rest of the composts and vermiculite to make our Mel's Mix. I forgot to take pictures of that load. Embarassed

OK so 2 days down in our week at home, just getting ingredients for Mel's Mix. The boxes were already built and waiting. Now it was time to start getting the location ready. We had a long row garden in this spot last year but it didn't do well for a variety of reasons, but mainly because no one was there to care for it during critical times. Here are some "Before" shots:

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 2_and_10

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 3_work10

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_more10

The garden plot is approx 70'x70'. The whole fenced in area is more like 70'w x 100' d.
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos

Post  kat51415 4/16/2012, 1:23 am

Last year, the bunnies had a buffet so this year, Dave contrived a plan to foil their free meals. He wanted a ditch dug completely around the garden. We zip tied chicken wire to the existing fence and let the bottom of it rest in the trench. We then backfilled the trench. It was alot of work, but worth it, I hope. We shall see. Here are bunny trench/fence photos.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 5_the_10

The first step for me was to receive instruction in the fine art of operating a Mantis tiller. What a lil workhorse it is!

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 6_bunn10

My work crew consisted of me and Dave, my kids and grandkids and my nephew.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 9_capt10

The bounty of the bunny trench was Anaconda-sized nightcrawlers, none of which could be found inside the garden fence...suspicious, huh?

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 10_clo10

A close-up of the finished bunny fence/trench. Yes, those zip tie ends are gonna stay poking out to discourage those critters even more. I'll let you know if it works or not...LOL!
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  kat51415 4/16/2012, 2:09 am

We have a new double wide garden gate and 2 new arbors complete with trellises, courtesy of my handy hubby!

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 11_new10

I have "Scarlet Runner" green beans to climb the trellis netting on both arbors. Should be pretty. There will be nasturtiums against the fence and completely surrounding the garden plot. Inside the nasturtiums, there will be a row of marigolds. The flower border will only be broken by the two arbors.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 23_the10

This is our first compost bin. Its filled with grass clippings. Behind it, the trailer is filled with mostly camel poop, but also includes horse, goat, and llama. We are blessed to have it!
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  kat51415 4/16/2012, 3:07 am

The whole garden plot has been tilled. The bunny trench/fence has been dug, secured and backfilled. Both arbors have been built and set. One has been trellised. The boxes were built the last time we were home. Now its time for the fun: mixing the Mel's Mix!

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 16_mix10

Our 10 boxes are 4'x4'x1'. We tried a 3 box batch the first time. We mixed the composts in the back of one of our pickups with the Mantis. Then we put the vermiculite, peat and the compost on a tarp on the concrete floor of the shop and worked it with the Mantis.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 13_fir10

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 14_the10

It mixed well but the tarp got chewed up by the tiller. That's when we had an epiphany and built another box for the other pickup.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 15_mov10

Here are the kids moving that heavy first batch from the shop floor to the pickup.
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  kat51415 4/16/2012, 3:21 am

All the boxes had been moved to the garden after it was tilled. Once the MM was finished, we placed the boxes and filled them.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 18_pla10

This view is looking through the 2nd arbor on the opposite side of the garden. The boys placed and levelled the boxes. Dave trucked the MM from the shop to the garden gate. From there, the boys shovelled it into a wheelbarrow then filled the boxes with it, wetting it down by layers. Since my planting schedule doesn't start til this weekend, they covered the boxes with black plastic sheeting to protect against weed seeds and to maintain moisture.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 19_the10

These are the 4 circles in production. When finished, 2 will hold strawberries and 2 will have jalapenoes. Dave came up with the idea of building them out of that bathroom wallboard after we couldn't find any pre-fab round containers the right size. We got all 4 built, 1 set and the ground levelled for the second one. My son will have to get the rest of it done plus trellis net the 2nd arbor. We ran out of time...again...sigh.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 20_ano10

Here is another angle of the boxes and the circles.
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  kat51415 4/16/2012, 3:42 am

This is the link to our Spring/Summer garden plan. I AM NOT CHANGING IT AGAIN!

http://www.growveg.com/garden-plan.aspx?p=228020

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 12_squ10

This is the area where the cukes and squash go. The long strings to the right represent 2 rows of Sunflowers and black eyed peas planted together. This is also the northern end of the garden. The whole garden gets 8 good hours of sun a day. In late evening, it gets a little shady but that's not necessarily a bad thing where we live.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 21_pot10

This is the other end of the above area. This will be where the corn and potatoes are planted, along with the other end of the long sunflower/black eyed pea row. I'm trying my best to companion plant. If anyone sees anything goofy with any of these plans, please speak up now! It's not in the ground yet...

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 24_a_l10

This is a longer distance view of the whole plot. Eventually, the ugly little garden shack will transform into a swan of a storage shed. There will be a greenhouse to the right of it and a little patio area for resting complete with table & chairs.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 25_the10

Another reason for the patio furniture is the view from our garden. I could sit in the garden and stare at this view all day long. I love our home and we were blessed of God to be given such a beautiful place to end our days in. More photos to come in about 6 weeks...when we get back home off the road. Hope you enjoyed them!
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty Re: The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos

Post  Chopper 4/16/2012, 3:59 am

Right now I have no other words but...WOW. Shocked
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty Re: The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos

Post  Ha-v-v 4/16/2012, 7:59 am

Chopper wrote:Right now I have no other words but...WOW. Shocked

+me
I will add Gorgeous!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/16/2012, 8:03 am

WoW! That's going to be quite the garden strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 3170584802

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 4/16/2012, 8:44 am

I'm jealous!!!!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 4/16/2012, 9:07 am

Ditto on "WOW". It looks like you had a great work crew. I'm really impressed how you used the bed of your truck for mixing.

Aren't you amazed at your Mantis tiller? I couldn't live without mine. It 's the best Christmas gift I've ever received.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty Awesome!

Post  CharlesB 4/16/2012, 9:20 am

Really awesome! Love all the pics.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/16/2012, 10:14 am

Holy guacamole!! WHAT a place! Please do update us as to your progress!

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 274447 strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 274447 strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 274447
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/16/2012, 2:58 pm

That looks like an amazing garden! You're WAY more ambitious than I am. I thought I was doing hard work by building, mixing, and filling my two new 4x4 and one 1x16 boxes myself. But that's child's play compared to what you've been up to! Keep the pictures coming. They're great!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty Thx Everybody!

Post  kat51415 4/17/2012, 1:33 pm

Really appreciate all the flowers from the forum! We had to do a big garden because, as you can see, we've got a big family. Although they don't all live with us, they come when we are home off the road so its just about the same thing! They all feel some ownership in The Garden now, after slaving away on it together. Memories were made that the grandchildren will have til they are grandparents. My son and daughter-in-law are planting the first plants today. They have promised to send photos so I can keep up the journal. Very Happy

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Compos10

The first batch of home grown compost is about ready!

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos First_10

Here is a pic of the first plant in a box in The Garden. It's either a Brandywine or Martin's Roma tomato.
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  kat51415 4/18/2012, 1:15 pm

The first circle got planted yesterday! So glad it held up to the wet MM. We weren't sure that it would because that was some flexible wallboard.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_17_f10

The plants on the outside are Traveller Jalapenoes. The plants in the middle are Brandywine and Martin's Roma tomatoes, two of each. I'm betting the tomatoes will be hot. The kids say, "Yay, perfect for salsa!" All are heirlooms. More pics to come as soon as my son gets them sent. So excited to see plants in the squares and circles!sunny
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/18/2012, 1:41 pm

What an awesome Vegetable garden !
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  RUTBUSTER 4/18/2012, 3:33 pm

That sure is an ambitious plan. It looks great. Keep us posted on the pictures and good gardening.
RUTBUSTER
RUTBUSTER

Male Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty Some new photos

Post  kat51415 4/30/2012, 2:31 pm

These are some new shots my son just sent me. We have green babies in the garden! These are mostly in the boxes and the tomatoes were started indoors. This is so exciting!

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_27_c10

These are tiny little Danvers carrot babies! They are in MM in a SFG box.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_27_g10

These are either mustard or collard greens. These are growing directly in the soil amended with peat and compost.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_27_t10

These are tomatoes and onions that were started indoors and are now living in a SFG box in MM.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_27_t11

These are the turnip greens in their SFG box.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_30_b11

This is one of the SFG circles freshly filled with MM but not planted yet. For some reason, the butterflies swarmed it. We used some of our own compost in this circle. Could they be loving the camel poo?

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_27_c11

Speaking of the compost, the original bin is on the right, the newer bin on the left. My son is now keeping a "Poo Journal" and experimenting with adding different amounts of our exotic poo mixture to the grass clippings and leaves and household trimmings. The second batch has progressed much more quickly than the first. I think that the first batch is now residing in the MM in the butterfly circle (see above).
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty New Photos from 4/30 and 5/9: PROGRESS!

Post  kat51415 5/9/2012, 9:50 pm

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_30_b12

This is the bell pepper and carrot box on 4/30.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_30_o10

This is the first circle of jalapenoes and tomatoes on 4/30.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_30_m10

This is one of the tomato and onion boxes on 4/30.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 4_30_o11

The strawberry sets came in! This is the first strawberry circle on 4/30. The green is new growth after only three days in the MM. These are either Ozark Beauty or Earliglow.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 05_08_11

These are the two rows of potatoes in the ground, Kennebec and Yukon Gold. Last year, we had vines but no fruit. We hope we do a little better this year.

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos 05_08_12

This is the third photo posted of this box. It is amazing how much growth has occurred in just one week. This one is from 5/9. The last one was from 4/30. Wow!
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2012, 9:52 pm

Looking very good! I bet the butterflies were thirsty. That MM looks pretty moist. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

strawberries - The Garden at Ft. Tracy + Photos Empty Thanks Camprn!

Post  kat51415 5/9/2012, 10:12 pm

Looking very good! I bet the butterflies were thirsty. That MM looks pretty moist.

The kids must have taken me at my word that you have to get it good and soaked when you first put it in the box! Nothing was planted in it that day so all's well. I didn't think about the water content and the butterflies. Bet you're right!
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/9/2012, 11:13 pm

what a beautiful garden, and it is especially special,that the whole family is involved.
cool family and cool garden
I am excited for further pictures.
What a great experience for the grand children
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/10/2012, 10:23 am

GWN wrote:what a beautiful garden, and it is especially special,that the whole family is involved.
cool family and cool garden
I am excited for further pictures.
What a great experience for the grand children

+1
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/10/2012, 10:25 am

Kat, your garden is making great progress! I really love those round gardens.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next