Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Toplef10Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 I22gcj10Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Toplef10Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 I22gcj10Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from the Black Hills of SD!

+4
cheyannarach
elysia
UnderTheBlackWalnut
annamagpie
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from the Black Hills of SD!

Post  cheyannarach 4/9/2012, 2:48 pm

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Garden11
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Empty My new box!

Post  cheyannarach 4/9/2012, 2:56 pm

This is what I am working on today! I saw it on Mel's website and showed my husband and he built it for me! I have the edges on the outside all lined with rocks and got the weed barrier in now I am going to mix my compost, make my MM and fill it up! It has 49 squares!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from the Black Hills of SD!

Post  elysia 4/9/2012, 4:13 pm

What a neat design! That's happy. Smile
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 4/9/2012, 4:15 pm

Hello neighbors!

Casper here. Just wanted to jump in and share my 1st time sfg adventures with you. I did buy compost from the city dump here but it was well mixed and looked nice and rich to me. I know they add woods and grasses to it and it composts for several years. I then added 2 other types (steer and sheep) to make up a nice mixed compost (Mel states minimum of 5 different types).

The vermiculite I bought from Menards. You do want to look for the Sunglo brand vermiculite insulation, it was a coarse size and safe to use in gardens. And so much cheaper than the little bag stuff!Very Happy

We have been warm too and but have not planted anything yet. We just finished my raised beds and got the MM in them. Since mine are 16" high we did regular city dump compost in the bottom half and put the MM in the top half.

Hope all my SD neighbors have a wonderful garden season and I hope to see some of your garden pixs here!

Evelyn in Casper

I have 3 4x4 and 2 2x6 raised beds

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Finish10
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Empty Looks great

Post  cheyannarach 4/9/2012, 5:37 pm

They look awesome Casper! I have almost got mine filled but the kids wanted a break and hubby will be home soon to help finish!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/9/2012, 5:39 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Garden11

I love the design, but at 4'11" I would NEVER be able to reach those center squares! Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 889526 Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 889526 Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 889526
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 Empty Goosegirl

Post  cheyannarach 4/9/2012, 5:51 pm

It's not that bad, I am only 5'4" and I can reach pretty well, But I will just have flowers that won't need a lot of hands on attention on the top one!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  annamagpie 4/9/2012, 7:17 pm

cheyannarach wrote:This is what I am working on today! I saw it on Mel's website and showed my husband and he built it for me! I have the edges on the outside all lined with rocks and got the weed barrier in now I am going to mix my compost, make my MM and fill it up! It has 49 squares!

Shocked (The emoticon says this is "shocked" but I prefer it to be "awed". That is BEAUTIFUL!
annamagpie
annamagpie

Back to top Go down

Post  annamagpie 4/9/2012, 7:23 pm

efirvin wrote:Hello neighbors!

Casper here. Just wanted to jump in and share my 1st time sfg adventures with you. I did buy compost from the city dump here but it was well mixed and looked nice and rich to me. I know they add woods and grasses to it and it composts for several years. I then added 2 other types (steer and sheep) to make up a nice mixed compost (Mel states minimum of 5 different types).

The vermiculite I bought from Menards. You do want to look for the Sunglo brand vermiculite insulation, it was a coarse size and safe to use in gardens. And so much cheaper than the little bag stuff!Very Happy

We have been warm too and but have not planted anything yet. We just finished my raised beds and got the MM in them. Since mine are 16" high we did regular city dump compost in the bottom half and put the MM in the top half.

Hope all my SD neighbors have a wonderful garden season and I hope to see some of your garden pixs here!

Evelyn in Casper

I have 3 4x4 and 2 2x6 raised beds

Evelyn in Casper that looks so great! It's gotten to just below freezing the last couple of nights so maybe I jumped the gun a little on my cold weather crops. But the packets say "as soon as soil can be worked" . Of course, MM can probably be worked when it's 30 below!

Oh and I certainly did not mean to exclude you from my invite to friend me on Facebook, if you like!

Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 274447 Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 274447 Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 274447 Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 274447 Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 274447
annamagpie
annamagpie

Back to top Go down

Post  annamagpie 4/9/2012, 7:30 pm

[quote="elysia"]
I'm not big on radishes either but this recipe seemed promising :
quote]

I just Pinned this recipe--it does sound promising. Thanks!
annamagpie
annamagpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/9/2012, 9:06 pm

cheyannarach wrote:It's not that bad, I am only 5'4" and I can reach pretty well, But I will just have flowers that won't need a lot of hands on attention on the top one!

As long as you're not planning on CORN in that top square!sunny

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 4/13/2012, 5:46 pm

So I bought the insulation grade vermiculite from menards and I haven't opened the bag yet but it really feels like a finer grade than I want for my Mel's Mix...This brand was FAR more cost-effective than any other vermiculite I was able to locate though... Annamagpie didn't you say this was the kind that you were going to use? What did you think of it?
elysia
elysia

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 4/13/2012, 8:55 pm

We just bought some at Menards in the insulation department as recommended. My husband said it's finer than the coarse we used in our first boxes, but we had to dash out and get some small bagged stuff and it was really fine. So it's kind of in between, but I like the price!
CCgirl75
CCgirl75

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/14/2012, 12:26 am

I accidentally started out with the small horticultural vermiculite and then found out it was the wrong stuff. We have been using the insulation vermiculte now and there is a huge difference. I think it will work just fine. I also checked Lowes and they don't have any at all.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/14/2012, 4:23 am

elysia wrote:So I bought the insulation grade vermiculite from menards and I haven't opened the bag yet but it really feels like a finer grade than I want for my Mel's Mix...This brand was FAR more cost-effective than any other vermiculite I was able to locate though... Annamagpie didn't you say this was the kind that you were going to use? What did you think of it?

I originally got 2 bags from Menards - thought they were the same until I opened them up to make my MM! I have not had any difference in the beds from the different size of vermiculite (batches mixed in each box, so some have big, some have little).

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  annamagpie 4/14/2012, 10:51 am

Well, maybe it isn't coarse but it seems to be working well. I went to a nursery the other day just to mosey around and their giant pile of potting soil looked just like what mine made up. Plus it was either use that or not use it at all coz I sure wan't going to pay for those tiny bags. Very Happy

Is it raining for ya'll? raining in Piedmont--hooray!
annamagpie
annamagpie

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 4/14/2012, 12:53 pm

Thanks all! Really, really appreciate the info and subsequent confidence that what I have will work just fine...Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 86751

Yes, it is raining here! Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 802240 Our irises are emerging too...wait a second...not so fast spring - there's a chance snow in the central hills tonight I hear! Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 3868
elysia
elysia

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/14/2012, 12:58 pm

It rained here yesterday, supposed to rain again tonight. My irises are at least 8" tall and we have the s-word for Sunday night into Monday! Hopefully it will just be a few flakes mixed with the rain. I have been spoiled with this non-winter and early spring. I don't want it to go away!!!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 4/14/2012, 1:20 pm

wow Goosegirl - I bet your irises are beautiful!

I know the prospect of the s-word is tough to face after the unseasonably warm temps...at least it won't stay long if it does arrive...

Have been meaning to ask - are those cornish rex kitties?
elysia
elysia

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/14/2012, 5:52 pm

elysia wrote:wow Goosegirl - I bet your irises are beautiful!

Right now they are gorgeous landscape greenery. When they bloom the leaves are 18-24" and some of the flower stalks top 36". I'll have to post a pic when they bloom.

elysia wrote:Have been meaning to ask - are those cornish rex kitties?

They are my little baldy-butted Sphynx Puddy Tats! Spoiled Rotten and Absolutely Adorable! (not the LEAST bit partial! Wink )

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 4/15/2012, 10:09 am

Goosegirl wrote:Right now they are gorgeous landscape greenery. When they bloom the leaves are 18-24" and some of the flower stalks top 36". I'll have to post a pic when they bloom.

Please do! Smile

Goosegirl wrote:They are my little baldy-butted Sphynx Puddy Tats! Spoiled Rotten and Absolutely Adorable! (not the LEAST bit partial! Wink )

GG

They're super cute. There are many times I wish my three were of the hairless variety!Potatoes - Hello from the Black Hills of SD! - Page 2 217255
elysia
elysia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2