Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Toplef10Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? I22gcj10Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Toplef10Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? I22gcj10Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers?

+4
Retired Member 1
eerwah
WardinWake
Bayou Life
8 posters

Go down

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Empty Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers?

Post  Bayou Life 4/4/2010, 10:10 pm

Has anyone ever tried this spray? If so, how did it work for you? The weather gets really humid here, really early in the year, which leads to lots of flowers being unproductive.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Male Posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Empty Re: Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers?

Post  WardinWake 4/4/2010, 10:37 pm

Bayou Life wrote:Has anyone ever tried this spray? If so, how did it work for you? The weather gets really humid here, really early in the year, which leads to lots of flowers being unproductive.

Randy:

You said that the humidity leads to flowers being unproductive. Have you noticed any reduction in production in harvest? If your yields are good than the spray is probably not needed.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Empty Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers?

Post  eerwah 4/4/2010, 11:00 pm

G'day Randy,

I use a liquid potash a couple of weeks before flowering starts then every 2 weeks wilst the tomatoes are fruiting.

The blossom set spray you mentioned is probably the same sort of stuff. I've found my tomato's set fruit a lot better but I havn't needed to use it for my caspicums.

Cheers, Peter.
eerwah
eerwah

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Empty Re: Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers?

Post  Retired Member 1 4/5/2010, 8:57 am

It's probaby not the same thing, but I use a pencil to help the blossoms set fruit. Just tap the blossoms gently all over the plant and it will release the pollen for the other flowers. Has worked for me for 30+ years to get good set no matter the weather (well, except in 100+ when the tomatoes aren't even bothering to blossom).
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayou Life 4/5/2010, 11:33 pm

I noticed a significant difference in my bell peppers last year, the pollen just wouldn't stick, I guess that's what I am mostly interested in. My jalepeno's took it like a champ all summer long, and well into the fall.

I don't know if there is a difference in the tomato yield from my row garden, mostly because I didn't have the time to devote to the tomatoes like I have now in the boxes. But I do know that the humidity has been pretty high, and I've had some fall off already. On the same plants, with lower humidity at bloom, I have fruit set. The temps were in the same range, so that can't be the difference. So I don't know if I'm getting even close to the yield that I should.

I do tap on the flower stems, on both peppers and tomatoes, unfortunately I'm not home at the prime time in the morning to shake 'em up. That could be a factor, too. I was home when the flowers opened and was able to tap on at least one that set before it warmed up too much. The wind could've shaken the others up enough. Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,, Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Icon_idea! Looks like my better half will have to add that to her morning chore and errand list. That way, I will either have to rule it out as the fix, or add it into the "things to get done" list.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 4/6/2010, 7:40 am

Sometimes plants will not set fruit if it is too hot or too cold. I found out that scarlet runner beans only set beans when the temperature is 70 degrees. I had spent the summer watching a huge plant with lots of red flowers but no beans, I figured it was me and not the plant. Once fall hit I could not keep up with the bean production. Perhaps you have a similar problem.
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  cajunrose 4/6/2010, 3:07 pm

Living in Luling, La. I haven't needed any. I have problems with (stink bugs) and don't know what to do. Your tomatoes will produce better if you put them where they will get shade in the afternoon. I experimented one season and the yield was three times more from the shaded ones . Also they grew at a faster rate and was taller than me (which is not hard to do LOL) than the full sun ones. Hope this helps.
cajunrose

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 4/7/2010, 1:19 am

I used this item last season due to the lack of bees in my area for certain plants and it worked very well for me my peppers cucmbers and tomatoes started coming in about a week befor my neighbors we bot h started at the same time the only draw back i found was there were alot less seeds in the vegtables then there should have been if your not a seed saver then this shouldnt be a problem bu ti like to save some seeds fro the next crop. lesson learned on that 1 but from my experience it worked well
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? Empty Hi Rose!

Post  Bayou Life 4/8/2010, 10:11 pm

I don't know if you have ever tried it, but some believe that marigolds repel stinkbugs as well as an array of other pests. I haven't tried it, but it's in the plans to add to the boxes next season.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 4/8/2010, 10:50 pm

Blossom set spray on tomatoes and peppers? 61949 I'm in the panhandle of Florida. I've used Blossom Set in the past with good results. It seems to me that when the nighttime temps get too warm my tomatoes drop blossoms and fruit. I didn't use it last year and I didn't get too many tomatoes during the hottest period of the summer. I've grown everything in pots in the past, this is the first year I will try SFG since moving to the panhandle. I'm getting a late start, but dear hubby's building them now, we hope to finish up this weekend!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down