Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Garden Toplef10New Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Garden I22gcj10New Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Garden Toplef10New Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Garden I22gcj10New Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Garden

+2
quiltbea
syrah2422
6 posters

Go down

New Garden Empty New Garden

Post  syrah2422 2/25/2012, 9:54 am

Hi there, I'm new here to the forum.

We just moved to Massachusetts and sadly leaving behind our gardens in Connecticut. Our new place has no gardens so I get to start everything from scratch! We do not have a fenced yard and have quite a bit of wildlife (foxes, turkeys, hawks, birds galore, etc.). We never had to deal with any animals at our last house even though we lived in the middle of the woods due to a fenced in yard. I am thinking that possibly a raised garden with legs may help us with some of the ground animals. These will house lettuce, spinach, basil, parsley, etc. Containers which will reside on the deck will contain carrots, potatoes, tomatoes. I think I will need to have at least one garden on the ground for cucumbers, peas, beans, squash. This one I'm most concerned about protecting I also want to start with berries (I know this will be a all you can eat buffet for our neighboring animals) but I really want to grow blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I have never grown berries but would like to start them this year so we may have some possibly next year. This also means I need to find a new nursery since I'm not sure about buying these type of plants through a catalog.

I am curious if anyone was to start a garden over what you would do differently this time? Maybe type of garden (raised, container, etc), different soil mixes, placement of garden, types of animal deterrents? I would love to hear any and all advice in planning my new gardens. Thanks!
syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

New Garden Empty Re: New Garden

Post  quiltbea 2/25/2012, 11:33 am

Welcome from a Maine neighbor. The main difference for me would be to make raised beds only 3' wide and no more than 6' long to get around them easier and to reach into the middle with ease. The older one gets, the less stretch in the body. They would be laid out so the 6' length would be along the north side. Trellises would be on all the long North sides for things like tomatoes, peas and pole beans. I'd have all my beds a minimum 12" deep, not only for the long crops, like carrots and parsnips, but so I won't have to bend down so far. I'd also have a cold frame for early starts and to extend the season in the fall and a hoop house or two.

Of course, fencing it all in against deer and critters and having a place to sit and drink lemonade in the shade of an umbrella table and a chaise lounge for reading on a hot summer's day and a solar-operated fountain with a goldfish pond around it would make it perfect.

I know many opt for tabletops and that's a good solution against deluges of rain and critters digging in from below and deep weeds coming up and so one doesn't have to bend to plant and weed. I suggest checking out tabletops for ideas in the search feature upper left.

And of course, the Mel's Mix blend as discussed in Mel Bartholemew's book, 'All New Square Foot Gardening' which is so informative.

When you have questions, just ask. Many knowledgable gardeners here that can help you and will readily do so. We are here to help each other. Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/25/2012, 11:59 am

New Garden 654548 The ALL NEW SQUAREFOOT GARDENING book, Mel's Mix for soil and critter control. Tabletops and wedding veil tulle have solved a lot of problems for me.

Oh, New Garden 3194053932 rocks.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah2422 2/25/2012, 10:48 pm

Thank you for the Welcome!

I had started my last garden before I had heard about SFG and I loved the idea. I have never made the MM so this will be our first try at it. I'm very excited to see the difference in our veggies this year. I did start to divide my garden into squares. This worked great with my children so they have their own squares to tend to and not bother with mine or each others.

Oh, I forgot about the deers and I have a feeling there are probably bears. This should be an interesting summer.

I am concerned about being able to compost so I started a kitchen composter using the Bokashi composting method. I'm hoping it will be successful so we can continue to benefit from compost.

I like the table top idea, thanks! That will also give me the opportunity to move things around as I get more familiar with our yard and animal neighbors.

I was thinking about 3 foot gardens instead of 4. I like looking around Gardeners Supply website for ideas and most of the raised garden kits seem to be in 3 foot increments.

An umbrella and lounge sounds wonderful, I definitely like that idea!
syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 2/26/2012, 10:55 pm

Welcome to Bolton! I think you will enjoy living and gardening in our beautiful town. I don't think you have to fear the wildlife (no bears reported, but we never let our miniature poodle out by himself for fear he would be a meal for the coyotes).

Some local organizations you may want to know about:

Bolton Local
Bolton Garden Club
Bolton Community Garden (where I have my SFG)

For plants I shop at:

Applefield Farms on rte 117 Stow
Bolton Orchards
Lancaster Gardens (rte 110, Five Corners, Lancaster)
Fiske Garden Center in Sterling (recommended to me, plan to visit it this year)

I never had trouble with strawberries and raspberries. If you plan to grow blueberries, you should build a structure around them to support bird netting or you will not get even one ripe berry off them. There are plenty of pick-your-own places around so I don't bother trying to grow my own berries any more.

--Dave

dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah2422 3/8/2012, 5:44 am

Dave, Thank you for all the information, it was exactly what I was looking for to get started!

I think it might be a bit late but hoping to get indoor seeds started this week.
syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 3/8/2012, 6:37 am

It is not at all late to start seeds. I recently posted my planting schedule on my blog here. I start next week with kale and collards, then lettuces and broccoli and eggplant, and finally tomatoes and peppers.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/8/2012, 10:23 am

Never worry if you are starting indoors 2-3 weeks late. The plants won't mind being put out in a garden with nice warm soil. You don't HAVE to have transplants in the ground on exactly the frost-free date or a week beyond. Any plants put in a bit late will easily catch up with the early ones that have to contend with the cooler soil anyway. Its the earlier ones that suffer most, not the little bit later ones.

I have some cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower started and a few greens, but will probably start today a new purple cauliflower I got from the exchange. Sounds interesting.

So start some seeds!
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah2422 3/30/2012, 8:15 pm

Seeds have been planted. Hoping to get a salad table built in the next few weeks. The broccoli started growing really fast!!

I'm having trouble finding vermiculite and compost. I have cow compost so far and that is all I can find so far.

syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 3/30/2012, 9:28 pm

Agway in Lancaster has vermiculite in 4 cu. ft. bags, but it is horticultural grade (finer than Mel recommends, but it is what I used). You have to ask at the check out counter, it isn't on display. They also have some interesting kinds of compost from Maine made from things like blueberries, mussel and lobster shells.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

New Garden Empty New Beginnings

Post  BackRiver_SFG 3/31/2012, 8:27 am

New Garden 396615 to Mass. I'm over in Weymouth. Im a 3rd year SFGer. My dad always had huge gardens in the ground growing up, but the soil quality is very different here. The soil in my yard is so hard and riddled with big rocks, Square Foot Gardening was the simple answer!
BackRiver_SFG
BackRiver_SFG

Male Posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  syrah2422 4/21/2012, 11:03 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow, it's very difficult to find compost around here.
syrah2422
syrah2422

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/21/2012, 11:15 am

syrah2422 wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

Wow, it's very difficult to find compost around here.
Hit up the local dairy and horse farms. I bet there are folks around that raise goats and llamas too. The Quoddy bland lobster compost is fabulous!! Stay away from the municipal compost for your vegetable beds... Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New Garden WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down