Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Toplef10Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 I22gcj10Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Toplef10Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 I22gcj10Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden Markers, show us yours

+31
sanderson
tramman
Goosegirl
rgoodman1979
Debora Cadene
CapeCoddess
rowena___.
Turan
ramarks
littlesapphire
cheyannarach
rjeverett
Coelli
Nonna.PapaVino
yolos
JustMe
BetsyC
memart1
Kate888
B maier
morganfam7
boffer
ltree74
quiltbea
AvaDGardner
Furbalsmom
wncsohn
newstart
RoOsTeR
llama momma
camprn
35 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Empty Not mine but funny!

Post  camprn 3/25/2012, 7:29 am

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 44076

http://www.lavieenrosegardens.com/product/i-dont-remember-planting-this-weatherproof-plaque

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Empty Re: Garden Markers, show us yours

Post  quiltbea 3/25/2012, 11:23 am

They are really cute, but it would cost a fortune to mark even one bed. Yikes.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2012, 11:38 am

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 656620
quiltbea wrote:They are really cute, but it would cost a fortune to mark even one bed. Yikes.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Empty seed maeker stakes

Post  memart1 5/14/2012, 4:48 pm

I am a new SFGer and I laid out my squares with vinyl blind slats. I found that a short piece of the blind can be marked with a Sharpie pen and put at the edge of the block to tell what is planted in that block. Can anyone tell me why peas are planted 8 to a block rather than 9? Unfortunately I did not have the funds to make MM, but I did have a large pile of compost and am using that this year. I hope to get the right ingredients budgeted in next year. Then I will dig out the compost from this year and replace it with MM.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/14/2012, 5:32 pm

I did the exact same thing! Next year I plan to make some sturdier grids but you can't beat the vinyl blinds for seed markers! cheers
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/14/2012, 6:07 pm

Last time I was at the Dr's I was admiring the gigantic jar of tongue depressors, (plant labels Cool ) and he said he rarely used them as he knows most people hate the gag reflex. That was my cue of course Twisted Evil Told him they make great plant labels. He reached over to the jar and handed me a giant fistful. It was probably the best dr's appt. in 50 years Razz
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 5/14/2012, 9:55 pm

http://witandwhistle.com/2011/04/19/diy-garden-markers/

I want to try this but use ink with the stamping. Hoping to get to the craft store by the end of the week. Crafting and gardening are pretty relaxing for me. If they turn out, then I thought these might make nice gifts.

Otherwise, I've been using plastic utensils with Sharpie marker. I've had to re-write the Sharpie twice so far in the last month.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Empty seed markers

Post  memart1 5/14/2012, 10:25 pm

Try using Sharpie markers on vinyl slats from blinds. They can be cut with scissors. Then seal the Sharpie ink in with spray polyurethane. When you harvest, remove this marker and save for the next planting of the same item.
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/14/2012, 10:51 pm

I use white plastic knives with a label maker for the veggie variety. I did it last year with popsicle sticks and the labels stayed on all season and were very readable. I am using the plastic knives this year because the popsicle sticks didn't last long enough.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/15/2012, 9:27 am

JustMe, I like your idea of garden markers made from the polymer clay. They should stand up better to long-term use than the regular baked clay markers, which eventually flake and split after several seasons. Besides, with the polymer, you can have different colors!

Memart1 and yolos, cut venetian blinds and plastic knives work very well. They're my favorites right now because I can get more info on them than a marker meant to be used year after year. For instance: "Kale, Redbore" - distinct from "Kale, Tuscan", etc. If you work where there are catered business meetings, see if you can pick up the unused knives after the lunch. Most folks just use the forks/spoons, and the knives are discarded, clean, unused.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Empty Garden Markers

Post  memart1 5/15/2012, 10:07 am

I like the polymer clay idea. I own a ceramics shop and I am going to try to make some ceramic ones for the varieties I especially like. I'll cut a raw clay tile into strips with points, write the info on with an underglaze pencil, and put a clear glaze over all. After I fire them, they should last forever! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/15/2012, 10:29 am

Memart, years ago I had some basic herb ceramic labels, cut into ovals with the name of the herb pressed into them, a hole punched near the top, and fired. Then the label was attached to a heavy-duty wire "stake" over a foot tall, so the labels stood above the bushiness of the plant. Loved those labels.....until they eventually got broken or, in one case, rototilled.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  memart1 5/15/2012, 10:54 am

I like that they had a long wire stake, but many metals are not suitable for my kiln. I might see what I can find at Lowe's or Home depot and then glue the ceramic stakes to them with epoxy. Any other ideas are welcome.
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/15/2012, 12:11 pm

memart1 wrote:I like that they had a long wire stake, but many metals are not suitable for my kiln. I might see what I can find at Lowe's or Home depot and then glue the ceramic stakes to them with epoxy. Any other ideas are welcome.

Memart, you could try pressing the wire into the soft clay to make the indentation for it, then remove it, fire the clay, and then hot-glue or epoxy them back in. Might work!

I'm interested in making the polymer clay markers too - and I finally found some wooden markers recently and was going to paint them. If I can only find the time to do any of this stuff! I have mountains of craft supplies and the know-how, and no time anymore. Sad
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  memart1 5/15/2012, 12:21 pm

I am going to try to get to Lowe's later this week and see what they have. I need to get some electrical conduit for trellises anyway, so I've got to get there soon. Once I know what I want for the wire part, I'll decide how to make them. The impression in the back sounds like a great idea. Thanks!!
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  rjeverett 5/15/2012, 2:29 pm

I'm brand new to the forum (and to SFG) so it won't allow me to post a picture yet, but I wanted to jump in with a fun marker idea. To make them I bought some large silver spoons from the dollar store, buffed the spoon part a little with a sanding block, and dipped the spoon part into chalkboard paint (which if you didn't already own you'd have to buy as well of course). It was relatively inexpensive for me because I already had chalkboard paint from a project I had done in my daughter's room, I want to say they make chalkboard spray paint though too, so that may be even cheaper than buying a can of paint. Either way it's fun (kids can help make them), cheap, and the markers can be wiped off and relabeled as the squares change through your garden!
I promise after my probation period I will come back and post a picture of them in action! Smile
rjeverett
rjeverett

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/15/2012, 2:47 pm

Memart, the wire stakes had a circular crimp at the top to hook the fired clay marker on, then the loop had been closed. Didn't look at all like the stake had been fired. If memory serves correctly, it was galvanized wire. Heavy copper wire would be beautiful, but expensive, and would 'patina' to a lovely color.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/15/2012, 3:05 pm

rjeverett wrote:I'm brand new to the forum (and to SFG) so it won't allow me to post a picture yet, but I wanted to jump in with a fun marker idea. To make them I bought some large silver spoons from the dollar store, buffed the spoon part a little with a sanding block, and dipped the spoon part into chalkboard paint (which if you didn't already own you'd have to buy as well of course). It was relatively inexpensive for me because I already had chalkboard paint from a project I had done in my daughter's room, I want to say they make chalkboard spray paint though too, so that may be even cheaper than buying a can of paint. Either way it's fun (kids can help make them), cheap, and the markers can be wiped off and relabeled as the squares change through your garden!
I promise after my probation period I will come back and post a picture of them in action! Smile

Welcome to the forum and SF gardening, that is an awesome idea, I love chalkboard paint!!!Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 311672 Great idea!!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/15/2012, 4:17 pm

I'm cheap and lazy and like to reuse things! So I just cut up old plastic milk bottles into strips and write on them with sharpies Very Happy Works just fine.

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Dsc_7839
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Empty Plant Markers

Post  ramarks 6/13/2012, 11:41 am

Anyone have a nifty idea for plant markers? I currently have a combo of various store-bought plastic and plastic forks. Just trying to pretty up my beds by doing something uniform throughout. I'd prefer to not use popsicle sticks, but will in a pinch. Any suggestions?
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/13/2012, 1:42 pm

Try doing a an google image search for garden row markers. Lots of cool ideas to see.

Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Il_430xn_112808617

These are an example of what I found when I did that. Wish they were mine.

Last edited by Turan on 6/13/2012, 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : found a cool picture.)

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/13/2012, 2:02 pm

i'm commenting now and i'll post pictures later. my plant markers are made from cut up milk jugs. i wrote the plant info on the tags with the super-duper extra-permanent fade-proof and UV resistant sharpies, and made a slit at the top and the bottom that i threaded with a stick. total cost: zero dollars and zero cents. plus even my husband thought they were cute.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/13/2012, 4:38 pm

I use white plastic forks and knives that I recycle at the office. I run them thru the dishwasher, then write the veg name on the handles, back and front if needed, and the dates on the wider part at the bottom in permanent marker. Looks like everyone's digging in! Laughing I learned that red marker fades in the sun so now I only use black.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  ramarks 6/13/2012, 8:57 pm

This is the thread I was looking for but didn't see. Great ideas. Thanks, moderator, for moving my post here.
ramarks
ramarks

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/14/2012, 12:46 pm

here is a bad picture of the plant markers i use in the gleaning gardens (they are the only ones i use markers in):
Garden Markers, show us yours - Page 2 Milk_j10

the information on the tag is very generic because the point of the garden is to encourage public harvesting, so instead of a lot of technical data, i cut right to the chase. harvesting has begun--today i saw the post deliverer take a tomato. cheers
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next