Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Markers - the results are in Toplef10Garden Markers - the results are in 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Markers - the results are in I22gcj10Garden Markers - the results are in 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Markers - the results are in Toplef10Garden Markers - the results are in 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Markers - the results are in I22gcj10Garden Markers - the results are in 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden Markers - the results are in

+10
SFG in Chicago
camprn
pattipan
akameswaran
Garden Angel
Retired Member 1
acara
middlemamma
boffer
Chopper
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garden Markers - the results are in Empty Garden Markers - the results are in

Post  Chopper 9/28/2010, 11:26 pm

At the beginning of the season I bought a bunch of plastic markers. Not being content with letting things be, and already witness to losing magic marker to sun and water, I decided to paint them green and use a gold pen to write with.

I used three different kinds of paint; artist acrylic, one that I actually forget, and spray paint. The acrylic did OK, the other one did awfully and the spray paint was the hardiest. Any tagger knows that I guess. I liked the yellow green of the first two but the bluer green of the spray paint works just fine. I did not prep the plastic with anything special.

See results. Cucumber is the spray paint and Tomato was the acrylic and Cilantro was the forgotten one:
Garden Markers - the results are in Garden10

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers - the results are in Empty Re: Garden Markers - the results are in

Post  boffer 9/29/2010, 12:06 am

Kewl Wink

I've been cleaning mine with acetone. Some clean up well, some don't. So, if I spray paint them with ?? I should be able to write on them with Sharpies? (I'm thinking practical, not cutsie)

I've got 1x2 stakes that I use as markers that I re-paint every year. I could just as easily paint the plastic tags too.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers - the results are in Empty Re: Garden Markers - the results are in

Post  Chopper 9/29/2010, 12:15 am

You calling my markers cutsie? Not macho enough I guess! LOL Smile

My idea was to make enough of these over a season or three to have a pretty permanent collection and not have to fuss with it again. I used valspar plastic spray paint, interior/exterior in Hunter Green. FWIW. My problem was that I did not have the sharpie ink last very well on the plastic, but I did not try sharpies on the paint, the gold pen is a lot more liquid - like paint.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/29/2010, 1:11 am

The gold one was probbaly a paint pen? You shake it up and it sounds like a mini paint can?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/29/2010, 3:21 am

middlemamma wrote:The gold one was probbaly a paint pen? You shake it up and it sounds like a mini paint can?

Yes, and the result is pretty hardy given the intense sun and hard water it experiences. It's a keeper.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/29/2010, 6:31 am

FWIW...

Garden Marker pens are about $3.00

The markers themselves are available from .75/each for nice plastic, , .50-75 for copper to $1.30 each for stainless, $6.00/each for the ones you can print your own labels for off your computer, to $12.00 each for colored stainless steel that is laser engraved.

Orion makes the ones that a lot of folks use for the Orchid & plant shows down here & they do them in a lot of different materials.

Orion
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 9/29/2010, 9:30 am

Thanks, chopper, for the comparisons. I used plastic teaspoons and a sharpie pen. The teaspoons are doing great but the writing is completely gone from all of them. Didn't know about a special marker for outdoors/garden, so will look for that for next year.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/29/2010, 10:42 am

Well, I now know what to get you guys for Christmas Very Happy
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/29/2010, 12:54 pm

Belfry, what a great idea ! love it , I have a pack I got at the dollar store for my son's lunches with yogurt, but never thought of using them for markers !
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/29/2010, 12:59 pm

I would love a garden pen/marker in white. If it lasted I would be in heaven.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 3:17 pm

Let me just preface this ny saying this is my first year trying the SFG method - and I am not being snarky. I've had a pretty good year, but I have tons still to learn, and if I can find a gotcha before it gets me - so much the better.

But what is the practical benefit of the markers? The only confusion I've run into this year, is when I'm doing two varieties of the same veggie (ie both types of carrots look the same) Even with my spinach I can tell at a glance which is the savoy.

The being said, I do keep a sheet of paper with the layout of my squares what was planted and when. I keep that in the sun room that's been part room part garden shed, so I've always got that nearby. Comes in handy with the little sprouts, although I don't really treat one type of sprout any different. Until they get their real leaves I pretty much keep it moist, and weeded.

Or are the markers more to show off for guests and so they can tell what you're growing? I wouldn't mind that at all, as I show off every chance I get Wink
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/29/2010, 4:05 pm

Markers are for me. I actually forget what I planted where. And being more of an artist than an engineer, I prefer something attractive as long as I have it on hand and it is convenient. So, yes, once it is looking like it should, then I really don't need them. However, my 5 year old grandson used them when he was asked to go pick some cilantro. He used the markers to find it where the rest of us would have just known. Very Happy

Also, in cleared out beds I do not always plant the whole bed at once and it helps me to remember which I did and which I didn't. I do have a grid on my computer where I keep track. but once I turn around and leave my room and walk downstairs and face the other way - who remembers? I have some free squares I may plant now rather than wait and those will need markers too so I do not double plant.

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 4:54 pm

Almost makes me wish I had kids so I could send em in to "help"

It's funny you mention artist/engineer. I am an engineer by day. Still the more I think about it, some nice markers would be a way to dress up the place. It might also deny me the pleasure of answering the "What's in this box" question.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/29/2010, 5:05 pm

Some folks go crazy making notes and collecting data. I'm the opposite: 95% of what I record is on plant markers or seed packages. I have no idea why I took this picture, but here is one of several hundred markers.
Garden Markers - the results are in 100_2410

It tells me everything I need to know to monitor the performance of that square and to decide whether to grow that particular seed again. You probably do the same thing on your waterproof chart. For me, plant markers are as important as grids.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/29/2010, 5:19 pm

For those of us who aren't master gardeners (and kill stuff by accident all the time) ... The marker tells me when I planted it, or re-planted it, or re-re-planted it....... which helps manage my expectations (so I don't rip it out and plant something else, if it's not growing to my expectations) ..... which helps me to avoid needing a marker to know not to rip it out when it's not meeting my expectation

Wash-rinse-repeat .... it's a cycle of madness Smile

The other thing I use them for is to keep track of what I've done to the plant. I can't maintain a regular garden schedule, due to my work/life/family schedule, so I rarely get the time to work a "task" to completion with all the plants in the garden(s).
It's great to plan to apply Epsom every Tues, fertilize every Wed, BT Spray every other Thurs, NEEM on Fri ....... but that's rarely my reality, so I use markers to keep track of what ask has been done to each plant (as opposed to running in & checking the computer everytime I'm in there).
I have my task listed on the marker & put a checkmark/date in the box next to the task
when I do it ....so then I know where to pick-up from the next time I get a free moment to work in the garden.
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/30/2010, 10:51 am

I am no master gardener - just planting such a variety, you really can't fail to tell the difference Wink And since I never plant things from the same family in adjacent squares it's also a little easier.

Now it makes more sense! The more decorative ones, which look real nice by the way, seem less practical. I think having the sun room, with a table, pens and the chart 2 feet away from my garden, makes using my sheet very easy. Although - I end up rewriting the sheet every couple of weeks as we change our minds on what we are doing in each square. I may just pick up a few blank white markers and the right pen and try out that method fora couple of boxes next year.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/30/2010, 10:58 am

A money saving tip someone mentioned earlier this year: cottage cheese and yogurt containers can be cut vertically to make plastic strips that are perfect for practical plant markers. And there's no guilt for throwing them away at the end of the season.

Sharpie pens work fine for me, but I do sometimes face the writing north to prevent fading from the sun.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 9/30/2010, 11:10 am

boffer wrote:A money saving tip someone mentioned earlier this year: cottage cheese and yogurt containers can be cut vertically to make plastic strips that are perfect for practical plant markers. And there's no guilt for throwing them away at the end of the season.

Sharpie pens work fine for me, but I do sometimes face the writing north to prevent fading from the sun.

Sharpie makes an industrial- grade marker that is UV resistant and writes on plastic. I found them at Staples office supply. I use the cottage cheese carton cut-outs too!

Sharpie Industrial marker

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Garden Markers - the results are in Empty Aluminum Markers

Post  camprn 11/1/2010, 8:37 pm

Aluminum garden markers
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 11/2/2010, 4:55 pm

My other hobby is glass fusing. I made some plant markers out of thrift store knives & forks. The name is written in glass enamel and fired on & is fused to the glass permanently. I think I will make some blank ones also and try writing on them with a china marker or the industrial Sharpie. Since I have the Worlds Smallest Garden (only 1 box for now), these are more decorative than functional for me.

Sorry, not the best photo. (click on thumbnail)
Garden Markers - the results are in Th_a2462e88
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 11/2/2010, 5:06 pm

Chicago:

Oh NO! Now I will have to find a local college that teaches crafts and glass fusing. I love it!

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 11/2/2010, 5:51 pm

Chicago, how great! What a great addition to your garden. Wish we were in a postion to try glass fusing.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 11/2/2010, 7:16 pm

Those are AWESOME, Chicago. You could totally sell those.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/2/2010, 7:30 pm

I agree..you could definitely sell those.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 11/4/2010, 12:45 am

Thanks! Right now I have no venue for selling my stuff, but I really want to. These plant markers are are quick & easy and inexpensive to make. If anyone is interested in taking a peek at my other stuff you can check out my site. www.glassfever.net (Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules posting my site, I don't sell from there.)

Ward, I'm mostly self taught. I'm still just a beginner, really. It sure is a lot of fun, but the equipment is expensive!

Sorry to hijack the plant marker thread! Smile

Virginia flower
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum