Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 Toplef10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 I22gcj10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 Toplef10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 I22gcj10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Show us your kitchen compost container

+64
Mellen
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
kauairosina
trolleydriver
audrey.jeanne.roberts
dstack
has55
lynn5107
AtlantaMarie
giant_trainer
artisticfoodie
Triciasgarden
Marc Iverson
2SooCrew
sanderson
batmap
aerodyne
Lillyz
bnoles
Windmere
jazzycat
R&R 1011
Turnip
Goosegirl
rowena___.
ericam
CapeCoddess
Noie
Kelejan
Lindacol
TN_GARDENER
llama momma
Furbalsmom
janezee
Chopper
wncsohn
GWN
Mamachibi
boffer
walshevak
tomperrin
Cincinnati
CindiLou
EatYourVeggies
CarolynPhillips
peanut0915
fiddleman
southern gardener
Josh
plantoid
LittleGardener
Patty from Yorktown
Luci Dawson
gwennifer
Windsor.Parker
quiltbea
martha
mijejo
jkahn2eb
sceleste54
RoOsTeR
camprn
68 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 Empty Re: Show us your kitchen compost container

Post  GWN 1/17/2012, 9:47 pm

I have often wondered if I could take the stuff that comes out of the "garborator" (canadian term) American term is garbage disposal unit.
The ones that you put your veggies in that "gobble them up".
I wish I could get one of those with a direct "outlet" into my compost bucket.

My son the plumber said it was against code...... Anyone else out there ever done this?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 Empty Re: Show us your kitchen compost container

Post  Chopper 1/17/2012, 10:34 pm

GWN wrote:I have often wondered if I could take the stuff that comes out of the "garborator" (canadian term) American term is garbage disposal unit.

My son the plumber said it was against code...... Anyone else out there ever done this?

I am absolutely certain that a) it can be done outdoors over a can that one could then transfer to a pile and b) someone out there has done it. But in thinking about it more, is it worth it? Easy enough to just take the veggies and toss 'em on the pile and if the are really too bulky, a garbage disposal would not be enough. They are a nice 'wet chipper' though....
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/17/2012, 10:37 pm

I haven't done it, but I'm visualizing a mess under your sink!

How about if your son the plumber scrounges up a used disposal and sets it up in the garage or basement as a system dedicated to creating compost 'mash'? You could also chew up a lot of greenery that comes out of the garden.

I'm visualizing a cart on wheels (I put everything I can on wheels) about 2x2 feet max. A lower shelf to hold the strainer and bucket, and a top shelf like a counter top with the disposal built in. Or, go first class, and let son scrounge a small sink for the top. Water could be supplied from a garden hose, or a storage jug. Hey, now we're talkin' about the fun part of gardening! Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 3170584802
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/17/2012, 10:43 pm

Uuuuuuuuuuugh. I already have too many fruitflies. Even thinking of this makes my skin crawl.

Much better to use a blender. Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 43549
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/18/2012, 12:53 am

ya but fruit flies seem to just go somewhere else for the winter..... where do they go?
Yes I do need some sort of chipper shredder, but it is so much fun to put stuff through the garb orator but i no longer have one, since
it APPAREntly is rather hard on the septic field study
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/18/2012, 12:57 am

GWN wrote:I have often wondered if I could take the stuff that comes out of the "garborator" (canadian term) American term is garbage disposal unit.

GWN, novel idea, but one big thing occurs to me.

Most people also use the "garborator" for meat, fat and dairy (I do anyway) and those items do not belong in a compost bin.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/18/2012, 1:09 am

'Most people also use the "garborator" for meat, fat and dairy' Well I guess that would not be a good idea if that is what you did. Good point!
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/18/2012, 8:33 am

GWN wrote:ya but fruit flies seem to just go somewhere else for the winter..... where do they go?
Yes I do need some sort of chipper shredder, but it is so much fun to put stuff through the garb orator but i no longer have one, since
it APPAREntly is rather hard on the septic field Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 773650

Which is why I compost all I can and only use the disposal for meat, some bones and dairy. I put grease into empty cans and let it get cold and solid before putting into the trash for the dump.

My blender gets a workout on the veggie stuff, and then poured into the garbage can composter with the leaves from fall.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/18/2012, 2:21 pm

A dedicated waste disposal unit set in an old sink unit & cabinet carcass /frame protected from the weather & outside the hiome seems the best way to go if your set on reducing veg waste to a readily rotting pulp for composting .

A simple outlet piped to a big bucket arrangement coming out the side of the cabinet should possibly negate any code requirements ,unless you are not allowed to make such simple things without yards of paper work and Ph D's in engineering etc.

But it would obviously need to be electricaly safe if you're using a hose pipe where there is electricity & to have some sort of circuit breaker on the plug in cable as it's not inside the buildings " Faradays cage " protection system .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/18/2012, 3:21 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:Most people also use the "garborator" for meat, fat and dairy (I do anyway) and those items do not belong in a compost bin.

But that's where Boffer's idea would come in handy! I love the idea of an old random sink sitting out somewhere having the garbage disposal chop things up. I wonder if it would hold up to the volume of restaurant waste? That would solve my problem of having too much stuff to chop up!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/18/2012, 3:36 pm

martha wrote:
Furbalsmom wrote:Most people also use the "garborator" for meat, fat and dairy (I do anyway) and those items do not belong in a compost bin.

But that's where Boffer's idea would come in handy! I love the idea of an old random sink sitting out somewhere having the garbage disposal chop things up. I wonder if it would hold up to the volume of restaurant waste? That would solve my problem of having too much stuff to chop up!

Martha ,
Perhaps you could use a double sink unit and two disposal units then or two sink units with drain ing boards on back to back , run the excess strained off water to wet the compost heap by using a big capacity pond pump without a filter screen in it. They'd also make a quick veg prep area outside of the restaurant to remove most of the unwanted bits before taking the goods into the restaurant..
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/18/2012, 7:30 pm

Naw, that is way too much work, just chuck it in the bucket and let the heat and worms take care of it? What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/18/2012, 7:44 pm

Plantoid, I love your ideas! Did I hear you say you were heading to this side of the Atlantic to come set these things up for me?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2012, 10:58 am

plantoid
What an excellent idea.
My son the plumber could set it up........ Away away from the house. Perhaps in the garden shed. and have it drain into a compost like bin.

I feel I have years of catching up on compost since we are living on a new property. I did get a tumbling composter but the stuff just seems to turn to liquid without the much needed lawn clippings.

The hard part will be to get the son the plumber out here during ski season, somehow the parents go to the bottom of the list of "things to do"
Sad
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/19/2012, 4:40 pm

GWN wrote:plantoid
What an excellent idea.
My son the plumber could set it up........ Away away from the house. Perhaps in the garden shed. and have it drain into a compost like bin.

I feel I have years of catching up on compost since we are living on a new property. I did get a tumbling composter but the stuff just seems to turn to liquid without the much needed lawn clippings.

The hard part will be to get the son the plumber out here during ski season, somehow the parents go to the bottom of the list of "things to do"
Sad

Tell him you think you , " Have discovered GOLD in the garden .. keep under your hat and come over and see "
Prior to this conversation ,collect all the bits together and bake a blue berry pie etc. Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2012, 9:31 pm

Tell him you think you , " Have discovered GOLD in the garden .. keep under your hat and come over and see "
Prior to this conversation ,collect all the bits together and bake a blue berry pie etc.
You know it if funny you say that.... when they were putting in our geothermal system, they DID find some ...... blackish soil, old creek bed.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/16/2012, 5:22 pm

Today I found a little ceramic kitchen compost bucket, it holds 3 qts. Found it at World Market @ $14.99. It's the first time I've seen one in a store instead of mail order. Made my day when right next to it was a package of replacement charcoal filters for the lid too. It's a good day. Smile
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 Kitche11
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/16/2012, 6:36 pm

Fabulous find LM! cheers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/17/2012, 8:15 am

Awesome sauce LM Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 3170584802

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 2/17/2012, 10:51 am

Mine looks a lot like this.

Sits just outside my kitchen on the deck and doesn't take much time at all for us to fill. The family is pretty much on board, too. My 8 year old was peeling potatoes and I heard her say "hang on, let me get a bag to catch the peels." I almost teared up. Very Happy

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 04peecantip45
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/17/2012, 10:56 am

I like that your dau is thinking compost first. Give her a hug from Grandma quiltbea.

I place a mixing bowl on my counter while preparting food, for peels and scraps, so I don't dirty a bag that needs to hit the landfill. I toss from the bowl to the compost bucket to the compost bin.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/17/2012, 12:43 pm

TN_GARDENER wrote:Mine looks a lot like this.

Sits just outside my kitchen on the deck and doesn't take much time at all for us to fill. The family is pretty much on board, too. My 8 year old was peeling potatoes and I heard her say "hang on, let me get a bag to catch the peels." I almost teared up. Very Happy

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 04peecantip45

That's what I use. Mine sits on the counter beside the coffee pot. It has taken some training to keep my husband, the coffee drinker, from throwing away the emptry containers and the used grounds. If he thinks it's full (when it's not - just needs a couple of taps on the counter to compact what's in it) he still throws away grounds.

I miss the metal coffee cans. I use them for lots of things. Especially like them for feed scoops and if the dog gets hold of them they are still usable, where as the plastic ones are ruined.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/17/2012, 12:45 pm

Those Folgers coffee containers are so useful, and I like the indentation that allows one to comfortably grip the can with one hand.

I got a bunch of ten when I collected some recycled cans for our local Bird Rehab centre. Narurally I donated the money to them, also any 2 litre pop bottles I use.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 2/17/2012, 1:25 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to admit what mine is. I don't drink coffee...so I don't have one of those handy Folger's ones. But I do like my margaritas, so...

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 3 7150910
Noie
Noie

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/17/2012, 1:36 pm

Love it Noie cheers
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next