Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Toplef10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 I22gcj10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Toplef10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 I22gcj10Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Show us your kitchen compost container

+64
Mellen
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
kauairosina
trolleydriver
audrey.jeanne.roberts
dstack
has55
lynn5107
AtlantaMarie
giant_trainer
artisticfoodie
Triciasgarden
Marc Iverson
2SooCrew
sanderson
batmap
aerodyne
Lillyz
bnoles
Windmere
jazzycat
R&R 1011
Turnip
Goosegirl
rowena___.
ericam
CapeCoddess
Noie
Kelejan
Lindacol
TN_GARDENER
llama momma
Furbalsmom
janezee
Chopper
wncsohn
GWN
Mamachibi
boffer
walshevak
tomperrin
Cincinnati
CindiLou
EatYourVeggies
CarolynPhillips
peanut0915
fiddleman
southern gardener
Josh
plantoid
LittleGardener
Patty from Yorktown
Luci Dawson
gwennifer
Windsor.Parker
quiltbea
martha
mijejo
jkahn2eb
sceleste54
RoOsTeR
camprn
68 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Empty Re: Show us your kitchen compost container

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/28/2014, 3:55 pm

I use an old 5-qt ice cream bucket with a plastic bag liner.  I'd LIKE to put it under the sink, but don't currently have room for it down there.  So it sits on a side counter right next to the sink.  I make sure to keep the lid on it.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Empty Re: Show us your kitchen compost container

Post  lynn5107 8/20/2014, 11:21 am

rowena___. wrote:i keep my kitchen compost materials in a paper bag in the bottom of the kitchen freezer.  no flies and no smell.  as the moisture in the material freezes, it expands, causing the cell walls to burst.  as the materials thaw in the composter, they becomes mushy and decompose very quickly.  when the bag is full i take it to the composter, still frozen.  i use whatever food-grade paper bags i have on hand--usually bags that held flour or sugar or other such--sometimes i just fold newspaper into a bag shape if i don't have a bag handy.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Freeze11

Great idea! I collect for the week in the fridge but still have to do quite a bit of chopping. Going to try freezing this week! Thanks.
lynn5107
lynn5107

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/21/2014, 2:42 pm

hey, I'm still learning some of the code words. what does "N/A" mean in the forum?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/21/2014, 2:47 pm

lynn5107 wrote:
rowena___. wrote:i keep my kitchen compost materials in a paper bag in the bottom of the kitchen freezer.  no flies and no smell.  as the moisture in the material freezes, it expands, causing the cell walls to burst.  as the materials thaw in the composter, they becomes mushy and decompose very quickly.  when the bag is full i take it to the composter, still frozen.  i use whatever food-grade paper bags i have on hand--usually bags that held flour or sugar or other such--sometimes i just fold newspaper into a bag shape if i don't have a bag handy.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Freeze11

Great idea! I collect for the week in the fridge but still have to do quite a bit of chopping. Going to try freezing this week! Thanks.
I also like the freezing method. It works very fast. I use the plastic vegetable/fruit bags that you pull from the rolls at the grocery. I buy the whole roll from the independent grocers and use the bags from one roll for about 2-3 years. they usually have 1500 to 2000 bags to a roll.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Empty our container

Post  dstack 8/25/2014, 6:18 pm

This was a gift from a brother-in-law who is very good at finding great gifts that I love. He also gave me an herb drying rack.  Very Happy

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Imag0812
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/25/2014, 7:10 pm

Very nice BIL to give gifts you can actually use.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 8/26/2014, 5:36 am

quiltbea wrote:Mine was a gift from my Dear Dau-In-Law last April for my Birthday.  That wonderful gal always has great gift ideas that fit me perfectly.  I love it.  Its quite large, is odorless, has a filter in the lid and lives under the sink until I tote it to the big compost pile in the back yard.....

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Kitche10
I got the same one as a gift too.  Very Happy  Check out my photo a  couple of posts earlier where I was saying basically saying the same thing, but mine was from my brother-in-law. They really do make great gifts for people like us! LOL
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2015, 10:05 am

Bump

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/19/2015, 12:12 pm

We outgrew our little compost container and now have a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid in the corner on the floor!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/19/2015, 1:13 pm

Here is our kitchen composter courtesy of the City of Ottawa. Actually it's a kitchen scraps collector.  During the winter it gets emptied into the outside green bin which gets taken to the street on garbage day for collection by the city. The rest of the year it gets emptied into our garden composter.  Meat scraps and other similar scraps go into a bag in the freezer which is emptied weekly into the outside green bin for city pickup.

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 DSCN9052_zps0lz545h8

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 DSCN9054_zpsud9zuz5z
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2015, 2:14 am

TD, May I ask why you throw away the winter produce scraps and only compost them in the summer? I have a cage of fall leaves to which I add the winter scraps. The winters here are not freezing so they are fairly composted by the time I build the first summer compost pile. Yours may freeze during the winter, but that way, nothing (except meat scraps, fats, etc.) ends up in the municipal dump.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/20/2015, 9:38 am

Sanderson ... Good question.  I guess it's because I don't want to go through several feet of snow in -30 Celsius (-40 C windchill) to get to the compost pile which turns into a solid block.  Maybe I'll try setting aside a container near the house to collect the winter scraps which can go into the compost pile in the Spring.  Maybe I need some indoor pet worms to munch on the scraps over the winter. Anyway our food scraps that go into the green bin for weekly city pickup are taken to an organics recycling facility and do not end up in the city dump.

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/garbage-and-recycling/green-bin-and-leaf-and-yard-waste/what-goes-your-green-bin

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/garbage-and-recycling/green-bin-and-leaf-and-yard-waste
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2015, 12:03 pm

Okay, the food scraps go into the green waste cycle. That's different from here but at least it doesn't end up in the land fill. Very Happy That's what I was originally assuming.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Empty kitchen compost containers

Post  kauairosina 8/20/2015, 2:19 pm

Ours are 2 or 3 gallon white buckets that only take about a day to fill up and go to the compost.  We have a LOT of green waste.  The chickens get some but we have to be careful not to feed them too much fruit or their eggshells get thin.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/12/2016, 11:20 pm

There's a little 2cup plastic rectangle that sits next to the cutting board, and that gets emptied into this bucket with a screw-on lid - seems smaller than 5 gallons, maybe 4? Stays in the kitchen most of the time, but we still get fruitflies once a year and then it tends to get kicked outside for a few weeks until we empty it and clean it.
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Compos10
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/12/2016, 11:24 pm

I have a bucket. It is red. With a lid that I don't snap down. From TSC.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/15/2017, 4:42 pm

Mine is just a couple of nested bowls under the sink. The smaller one gets the small stuff and when we make salads or peel potatoes, we use the larger one. We empty it every couple of days, so odors and pests aren't a problem, and I grind up the egg shells and big stuff.

We're considering a whole kitchen remodel to add a dishwasher, so I was looking at something fancy that would let me grind up and compost what would normally go into a garbage disposal. Any suggestions?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 1/15/2017, 5:25 pm

Countrynaturals wrote:Mine is just a couple of nested bowls under the sink. The smaller one gets the small stuff and when we make salads or peel potatoes, we use the larger one. We empty it every couple of days, so odors and pests aren't a problem, and I grind up the egg shells and big stuff.

We're considering a whole kitchen remodel to add a dishwasher, so I was looking at something fancy that would let me grind up and compost what would normally go into a garbage disposal. Any suggestions?
Hey Suz:  My daughter just sent me this the other day.  I don’t know anything about it but it sure looked like it would do the job.  
https://www.facebook.com/yooDesignStudio/videos/10154085188051044/?autoplay_reason=all_page_organic_allowed&video_container_type=0&video_creator_product_type=2&app_id=2392950137&live_video_guests=0
Personally, I use this.  I found it at a local shop (Embellish & Restore / Visalia, CA) that has many crafter's wares displayed.  Great place.  I work hard to stay out of it.  I had been using a Folger’s coffee can.  It worked but this just grabbed my fancy.  It just got cleaned out.  I will line it with that paper bag you see in back of it before using it.
Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 Dog_bi11
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 1/15/2017, 5:27 pm

"My daughter just sent me this the other day.  I don’t know anything about it but it sure looked like it would do the job.  "

OH MY GOSH!  Every time my sister says something like this I correct her.  It drives me nuts….then look what I just did!

It should say:  “My daughter sent this to me the other day”
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/15/2017, 6:04 pm

Mellen wrote:"My daughter just sent me this the other day.  I don’t know anything about it but it sure looked like it would do the job.  "

OH MY GOSH!  Every time my sister says something like this I correct her.  It drives me nuts….then look what I just did!

It should say:  “My daughter sent this to me the other day”
Well done on the job of self-editing and proper grammar!  Wink

I love your lidded enameled pot, it is practically perfect!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/15/2017, 9:17 pm

Mellen wrote:Hey Suz:  My daughter just sent me this the other day.  I don’t know anything about it but it sure looked like it would do the job.  
https://www.facebook.com/yooDesignStudio/videos/10154085188051044/?autoplay_reason=all_page_organic_allowed&video_container_type=0&vid
Yup, this is what started me looking. I'm afraid the additives aren't organic, so I'd just be making chemical fertilizer. This gadget is way more expensive than a garbage disposal, so it would have to be pretty special and organic. Also, this product isn't even released yet, so I'm worried about what could possibly go wrong. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 1/16/2017, 3:53 pm

Thank you country naturals!!  
I saw that too, but couldn't manage to get the link copied to be able to post it.
I thought it was pretty cool.  
If we ever do a full kitchen remodel I think I'd like to try to work one of those in.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 1/16/2017, 4:00 pm

Whoops, I jumped to conclusion, well whoever first got the link posted, thank you.  Very cool.  

Currently I just have a plastic bucket with a lid, made by YIMBY I think, under the sink.  
5 gallon bucket in the garage to dump into if I don't go straight to pile.  
Generally I go straight to pile with what's under sink, I'd say it's a gallon size.  
I generally don't do "hot" method though, I just keep feeding a pile a little at a time after initial set up for awhile.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:31 pm

The dog biscuit can is adorable and seems like the perfect size for a kitchen counter.

I keep looking at that composting machine, watching the video, and have finally firmed up my vote. No. I wouldn't waste money on it. Too expensive and I am skeptical of 24 hours compost.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/17/2017, 1:23 pm

Zmoore wrote:

5 gallon bucket in the garage to dump into if I don't go straight to pile.  

Me, too. A few 5 gal buckets with lids get me thru the winter when I can't get out to the pile.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next