Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Score!!! and a little more. Toplef10Score!!! and a little more. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Score!!! and a little more. I22gcj10Score!!! and a little more. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Score!!! and a little more. Toplef10Score!!! and a little more. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Score!!! and a little more. I22gcj10Score!!! and a little more. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Score!!! and a little more.

2 posters

Go down

Score!!! and a little more. Empty Score!!! and a little more.

Post  SQFTBIX 8/2/2011, 10:41 am

Being a devoted and long time SQFT devotee, I have always wanted to extend my gardening season. I have dabbled a couple of times with less than adequate materials. That is, until last week. Our company is gutting our second and third floors in our building. When I went up to meet with the contractor to discuss payment terms, I noticed offices that had seven large windows which were lightly frosted. I asked the contractor if he was salvaging them and he said they were junk. I asked and got all 7 of the windows along with the box around them for free. They are 4'6" by 3'8". I will be building new beds to fit to them so I can now use them to create cold frames. A bonus is that these are tempered in case anyone should fall into them or whatever. I will begin building the new boxes once my son is moved to college.Very Happy

On another note, this has got to be one of the most challenging summers I have experienced in the mid-atlantic. Using raised beds has it's disadvantages given we have had almost non-stop 90+ degee weather. They just don't do well when the temps overnight get down to just below 80. I must say though, I have yet to get into my second rain barrel. We have gotten just enough rain to keep my 4 55 gallon barrels full most of the time. Has anyone else noticed we go from 60 degrees to 90 almost overnight?

But I do have one success story. I went to Myers Seeds in Baltimore and asked for the best variety of cabbage for our area. The man gave me two packets of what he promised were the best. I just picked two heads that weighed(yes, I weighed them!Shocked ) almost 3 lbs in total. Very firm and I get to eat them tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well in their gardens!
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Score!!! and a little more. Empty Re: Score!!! and a little more.

Post  boffer 8/2/2011, 11:35 am

SQFTBIX wrote: They are 4'6" by 3'8". I will be building new beds to fit to them so I can now use them to create cold frames. A bonus is that these are tempered in case anyone should fall into them or whatever. I will begin building the new boxes once my son is moved to college.
SCORE! INDEED!

I was holding my breath though, until you got to the part about the glass being tempered. That's a pet peeve of mine when people use single pane glass in their gardens. It just takes a heartbeat for a child to fall through and be scarred for life, if not killed.

Just some thoughts that might be helpful..

Tempered glass is actually quite flexible, but its weak points are the edges, due to the manufacturing process. Do take care to protect the edges so the pane doesn't shatter when a trowel, for instance, is dropped and hits the edge just right. I used 2x2s to make my frames.

A piece of glass laying flat is rather awkward to move around, raising and lowering. If you have a wood frame around your glass, it makes it real easy to put hinges on.

I have three rectangular cold frames on the ground. The ground is slightly sloped which turned out to be a benefit, because I didn't consider the build up of water on the glass within the wood frame. If your glass is nearly flat, provide some type of drainage.

I tried the style of box where the glass lid is pitched like a roof, but the taller wood sides really cut down on the sun. I've been pleased with just a sfg box that was made to fit the glass I had. The one disadvantage is that there isn't a lot of growing height room. The first box I plant each year is actually a sfg box with two wood frames sitting on top. The second box, I plant 2-3 weeks later, has one frame on top, and the third box, that gets planted a couple weeks after the second, is a sfg box with glass on top. The glass helps warm the soil nicely, I can direct seed, and the weather is getting warm enough to leave the glass open once the seeds are established.

Cold frames have worked well for me in the spring, but in the fall, their limited height makes it awkward for mature plants like broccoli, etc. The last couple years, I've been experimenting with hoop houses over the sfg beds because they allow for the heights of mature plants.

Oh, last thing, you're more likely to burn your tender plants to a crisp because you forgot to ventilate, then have your plants freeze and die. If there's any chance of the sun shining, open the glass.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Score!!! and a little more. Empty Score

Post  SQFTBIX 8/2/2011, 4:18 pm

Yup, understand about the tempered issue. Had some other glass offered previously but didn't take it as it was too thin. All good points to consider otherwise. Appreciate the input. Can't wait to get it set up.
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Score!!! and a little more. Empty Re: Score!!! and a little more.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down