Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? Toplef10Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? I22gcj10Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? Toplef10Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? I22gcj10Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)?

5 posters

Go down

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? Empty Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)?

Post  WendySue67 5/3/2011, 12:43 pm

My boxes are now partially planted but I have now realized I have a problem... DOGS AND CATS! At any given time there is at least one cat in my yard (not mine--my cats live in the house) and my neighbors have two little toy dogs that are allowed to roam through the neighborhood freely (they go under gates, etc so even a fence doesn't keep them out). This morning I found one of the dogs digging in one box and one of them had peed all over the plastic cover of the other one. This has already been an ongoing problem but now I've made it worse by adding a garden for them to destroy. For the sake of the relationship with my neighbors I haven't called animal control but I'm about ready to do it.

I put some netting over the boxes and I think this will probably keep the cats at bay, but the dog just walked right on top of it, mashed it down and managed to break the PVC frame that was holding it up in the process. Any advice or do I resort to calling animal control?
WendySue67

Back to top Go down

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? Empty Re: Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)?

Post  Hoggar 5/3/2011, 1:01 pm

Try sprinkling Coffee grounds over your garden it is said that cats don't like it and we have had some luck with it in our flowers. I have saved up a couple of pounds of used grounds and sprinkle them over my beds occasionally. I'm not sure if it will deter the dogs. I would also go and have a nice mannerly talk with your neighbor with no threats, If it happens again pay another visit after the second visit a third incident and Id call the pound.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? Empty Re: Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)?

Post  camprn 5/3/2011, 1:08 pm

Try sticking plastic forks tine side up where they go under the fence and in the garden. Absolutely have a chat with the neighbor. I would set a clear boundry and state expectations that the dogs no longer enter your yard and garden. Then I would call animal control. There is a difference in being assertive and being confrontational. Good luck!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Any advice for keeping out pests (animals)? Empty keeping critters out

Post  MSJ 5/3/2011, 2:50 pm

An earlier post by someone suggested screening that you can get at Home Depot for about $7.00 a roll to keep critters outs. You could use bricks or rocks to secure the corners.

As for dogs that are allowed to roam free... I'm pretty sure that's against the law, at least in my part of the county. I wouldn't hesitate to call Animal control. You have the right to enjoy your yard without worrying about other people's pets coming in and doing damage.

Good luck!
MSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/3/2011, 3:21 pm

Andrea on this forum recomended the ScareCrow® motion-activated sprinkler. Here is the info on it but it is available on Amazon for about half the listed price:
http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  WendySue67 5/3/2011, 3:59 pm

Thanks for all the tips! I especially like the scarecrow, which would be great since we also have rabbits and deer wandering through occasionally.

As for the dogs, I talked to some neighbors this afternoon that have already approached the dog owners and they are unwilling to lock up their dogs so it's time for animal control. It IS against the law for them to roam and I'm tired of dealing with them. To make matters worse I actually think they are trying to breed one of them...
WendySue67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down