Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

+3
sanderson
trolleydriver
Kelejan
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Empty CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

Post  Kelejan 5/1/2018, 5:51 am

One third of the year gone by already and in spite of working hard since the snow has gone I am still way behind.  But I am making progress, with half of the wood chip pile laid in place building up the roadside verge and in the next few days laying  paper, leaves and wood chips under my old cherry tree to see if I can can rejuvenate it like I did my old apple tree.

To my surprise the weather is still good for working the ground.  So much to do; I split my time and energy it between shovelling the wood chips into bags and transporting them to places on the garden; cutting down the salmon-berries that could take over the back of the house if I am not careful, along with the ivy.  We have a municipal garden recycling collection on the 8th May so I am working towards that as I missed the April one. Having a time limit really gives me an incentive. I am trying to bring back the garden as it looked before my husband passed away but it is going to take a couple of years.  I lost the will to keep it nice and the whole garden became green with little colour in it, but these old photos have inspired me to do something about it. They give me a good guide.

The lawn needs mowing again after the first cut last week and no doubt will need cutting twice a week until mid-June; no problem with the new lawn-mower purchased last year. I managed to mulch last years fall leaves through, using the grass catcher which made it so much easier.  Now I have to sort out the pile of newspapers to lay down under the cherry tree, followed by leaves and the chips.

Yesterday I cleared one 6x3 bed using a Devil's claw; it was so easy and soft and it only took about 15 minutes.  I really must get some square-foot grids as trying to use string is a pain in the ----. Tomorrow it will be planted out with the usual lettuce, radish, etc.  It is also my ambition to start building the beds higher; all in good time.

I may be losing Guthrie, my dog-walking friend, as his home is up for sale; just waiting for a sale so that they can purchase a much larger home.  I will miss him, his little friend Sawyer and his  two kittens  and of course Laoh and Lauren who have turned out to be such good friends to me.  They have put in a bid for this house, but if it goes higher then they will not get it as it will be beyond them.

I will go out for breakfast at the women's centre this morning and then do about an hour's gardening there as my contribution to the team effort.  I am hoping that the ladies in charge will have the bags of extra soil and  Mel's Mix  etc ready and the grids made by our resident handyman.  I  brought some of the strawberry plants home a week ago, split them up and re-potted them so that they may easily be replanted when the space is ready for them.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

Post  trolleydriver 5/1/2018, 10:13 am

Kelejan, you never cease to amaze me with everything you do and your great attitude. I sure wish Mrs TD and I had been able to meet up with you when we were in British Columbia a couple of years ago.

Maybe you can get that handyman to make up some grids for your SFG at home.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

Post  Kelejan 5/1/2018, 10:26 am

Thanks for that encouragement, TD, but I mist admit my housework suffers somewhat.  Sad

Good idea about our Women's Centre handyman. Perhaps I can practice my charm on him. Very Happy  I will see what he comes up with at the centre.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/4/2018, 5:27 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Kelejan, you never cease to amaze me with everything you do and your great attitude. I sure wish Mrs TD and I had been able to meet up with you when we were in British Columbia a couple of years ago.

Maybe you can get that handyman to make up some grids for your SFG at home.
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/7/2018, 9:27 am

I have just finished one of the most satisfying garden projects; clearing my garden of lots of overgrown stuff that has been overtaking my garden for the last twenty years and that was threatening to do damage to my house if it continued.

My house plot is 100ft by 500 hundred feet but the usable space is about 100 x 100t on which the house takes up half of that.  The remaining 400 x 100 is a Kame bench several hundred feet high consisting of layers of rock brought down by the glaciers just a while ago. I have only ever climbed about halfway up once then realised no one would find me if I got stuck.  The trouble was the the bushes, creepers  and trees steadily moved towards my little house and if I did nothing about it is would take over with all the bushes and ivy etc..  It was always out of sight out of mind as I was always busy with my business etc. and there was no DH to look after things after he passed way in 1999.  Last year I felt a bit down the way things had gone, so this year after looking out some old photos of the garden,  I decided to make a concerted effort to bring the garden back to what it was in 1999.

With the offer of the city doing a pick-up garden waste today May 8 it gave me the goad I needed.

Oh Heck! just noticed it is only May 7th and I am a day early and I have put all my stuff out on to the curbside and it is going to stay there for the next 25 hours and it will be the same day as our garbage pickup. I hope it does not rain as the garbage bags are compostable and very fragile. DARN! Sad

The garden waste consists of 20 bundles of sticks and nine huge bags of twigs and leave etc plus an extra garbage can of twigs. At least the neighbours will know I have been busy. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2018, 3:30 am

Twenty (20) years' worth! And, I'm so proud if I set out a small bed's worth of seedlings Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/8/2018, 7:09 am

sanderson wrote:Twenty (20) years' worth!  And, I'm so proud if I set out a small bed's worth of seedlings Shocked

I reckon I have caught up with about ten year's worth, sanderson.  At least it is the most unsightly half. Now I can start catching up with the smaller stuff like ivy that has spread but first of all I must some seeding done.  Hopefully the first bed today.
I must admit it already looks a lot nicer, as my friend said when she passed by yesterday afternoon, so that is encouraging.

With all my stuff out on the curbside, in the afternoon I settled down for a siesta and woke up to find there was a monster downpour. I dashed out to cover the bags with plastic and ended up getting soaked to the skin with my hair plastered to my scalp.  I must have looked a sight. Very Happy

It is about 4am now and the road is dry, so when it gets light I will uncover the bags and also put out my household garbage, especially the bi-weekly stuff that was has to keep frozen like meat bones etc. The problem with the bears is that they follow the garbage days down through the city and seldom get it wrong.  I put mine out by 7am as it is collected soon after, but many put it out overnight or properly not before 5am  and then the cans are not locked and so breakfast for Bruno.

Before these modern containers that enable the collectors now to stay in their cabs we used the old plastic ones so they could be fastened but the drivers had to manually take off the lids and lift the can up etc. Much less garbage and fewer bears but more work for the workers.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/9/2018, 1:02 pm

My garden yard waste was collected yesterday at one minute past 7:00am. Another five minutes putting it out and that would have been that.  It seemed that I was number one on their list.  But it has gone so yesterday I was able to get one 6x3 bed seeded with chard, lettuce, beets, spinach, radish etc. and then take it easy for a while.

Today the rain is bucketing down and is expected to do so for a couple of days and then sunshine once more.  I will be able to do some more small chores under my car port such as re-potting a couple of houseplants and sifting some compost that I took from the compost pile. That way I can call out to neighbours as they pass by to wish them a good day.  It is surprising how many pass by and never look my way, probably because so many nowadays have their eyes on their i-phones; never noticing the wild life like bears Very Happy.

I am loving this rain as I know it will change, and meanwhile it is soaking the paper/grass/compost and wood chips laid down a couple of days ago around the old cherry tree.  Still about a third of my wood chip pile to put in place, but not too much of a hurry now.

My new neighbours were due to move in today but at 10:00 am no sign of them yet. I expect they are delaying it a day or so as they are only moving from another part of the town.  I am hoping they are going to keep their dog under control as it is a huge boisterous animal, a cross between a lab and a mastiff, weighing in at 130 pounds and is a young animal.  Yesterday my neighbour's dog from the other side made my acquaintance, another large 100 pound dog so boisterous  it nearly knocked me over as I was putting seeds in the ground. In addition it was smelly. So it seems I will be bracketed by two unruly dogs and will have to find some way to protect my garden. Not to mention bears, deer, wild turkeys, and cats that used my first cleared SFG as their toilet. I am now going to see what I need to make covers to keep the cats out. I have counted four new cats in the area recently.  My own, Pal, is a house cat so no problem with him except he nibbled at one houseplant and has destroyed it. No, it was not one of the toxic ones.

So now to sort my seeds etc. and plan for when the rain stops, but first I will have to clear another bed.  All go, but I am enjoying this year's garden as I feel I have made so much progress.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/12/2018, 12:07 am

Kelejan wrote:. . .That way I can call out to neighbours as they pass by to wish them a good day.  It is surprising how many pass by and never look my way, probably because so many nowadays have their eyes on their i-phones; never noticing the wild life like bears Very Happy.
I call that "thinning the herd."

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/12/2018, 1:47 pm

Our rain has stopped and sunshine is forecast for a day or two so I have just spent two hours weeding the garden.  So much to weed, that I concentrate in a two x two square foot at a time and try to clear that. I must say the the weeds are very very healthy.

The grass is still wet at 10:30am so I am  having a rest now and will wait for the grass to dry before I mow later on.  It takes me about 90 minutes to mow and trim all my lawns, a big improvement over my last lawn mower. This will be the third time the lawn has to be mowed as it grows so quickly in May but it is a job that I get much satisfaction from as it improves the look of my garden with not so much effort.

So far our city has not any significant flooding except for a culvert in one sub-division  that always has trouble when ever flooding is around.

No so Grand Forks which is an hour's drive away and where the town centre is about a foot under water and some businesses say they will not be able to recover. Several housing areas are out of their homes and many are on alert.  With the huge snow pack last winter it was a given that if hot weather came too quickly there was going to be trouble. Some years ago, Trail, our next town,  was in bad trouble with some roads in the town being swept away.  I hope it does not happen again for them.  I know all this does not compare with our friends in the East but still to each individual it  is the end of the world.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/12/2018, 2:10 pm

Yesterday on passing a local Home Hardware type store, I noticed they had some raised bed SFG Cement Blocks where one just places the lengths of wood without screws or nails.  They were on sale for just over $6Can  each. 

I searched and found a thread that included the blocks in the heading, and found that they were sold for $3US each.

ETA These are Corner Blocks to hold lengths of wood.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/12/2018, 3:17 pm

Kelejan wrote:Yesterday on passing a local Home Hardware type store, I noticed they had some raised bed SFG Cement Blocks where one just places the lengths of wood without screws or nails.  They were on sale for just over $6Can  each. 

I searched and found a thread that included the blocks in the heading, and found that they were sold for $3US each.

Here is the thread where we discussed the Cement Blocks.  I am not sure these are exactly like the ones Kelejan saw in Canada though.  Also, I do not know if Home Depot is still stocking this item.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20590p25-home-depot-planter-wall-block?highlight=HD+wall
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/13/2018, 2:33 am

yolos wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Yesterday on passing a local Home Hardware type store, I noticed they had some raised bed SFG Cement Blocks where one just places the lengths of wood without screws or nails.  They were on sale for just over $6Can  each. 

Here is the thread where we discussed the Cement Blocks.  I am not sure these are exactly like the ones Kelejan saw in Canada though.  Also, I do not know if Home Depot is still stocking this item.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20590p25-home-depot-planter-wall-block?highlight=HD+wall

Yes, those are the ones and I want them to replace the bed and trellis work I have under my  car port as this way it will look much less utilitarian.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/14/2018, 12:48 pm

I have bought some of those blocks and some new wood to replace the damaged trellis etc. that I had originally made.  Those cement blocks are heavy; I bought eight of them and as it was only minutes walk away from my home, I decided to borrow a trolley and make two journeys, so I loaded four blocks  and started to cart them home.

The first few minutes were nice and flat so there was not a problem.  Then coming up from the tunnel under the railway, I realized that I would be making another two trips  carrying two blocks at a time.

Halfway up the slope from the tunnel, I stopped to take a breather, when a voice said to me, "Do you need help with that"?  There was a young man there who I had not seen before and he turned out to have a mobile on a plot of land, and a little way from the tunnel, that had recently changed hands.  He kindly took over, and pushed it past his home right up to my home, then said he would take the trolley back in his truck and fetch the other four blocks, thereby saving me two walking trips. He also said let me know if you need anything more.  So I took advantage of him and had him collect the wood that I was going to buy, which he did later on in the day.

That really was a bit of luck as if I had gone past his entrance, he would not have known I existed.  His name is Corey, and he has half the land that was sold and the other half is owned by Ryan who had been there three years and was renovating the house that was already on that land. So within a few days I had made the acquaintance of two new neighbours who are nice enough to lend a hand when needed and offered their  trucks if I need anything.

I have set up the  six foot x 15" planter, but will not be filling it until I have painted the wood that is visible; the rest I may leave unpainted.

We have two sunny days now so I will concentrate on the garden, clearing more beds and getting seeds and plant down, then when the rain comes that is forecast on Wednesday I will get the painting done under cover of the car port.

It is going to get to 32/33C for two days then drop to 23C when the rain arrives.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2018, 2:50 am

There are still nice people in this world, thank goodness.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/15/2018, 9:18 am

Nice to have good neighbours KJ.

Yesterday I was working on my 4x4 bed where my garlic is growing.  I took the chicken wire cage off the bed and placed it on the lawn then went into the house to do something. When I looked outside there was a squirrel digging holes in the 4x4 bed. I went out to chase it away. Then I noticed movement inside the chicken wire cage. There was a chipmunk inside the cage running and around trying to find a way out. Before I could lift the cage He crawled out though one of the openings in the chicken wire. I have a feeling it is going to be a challenging summer keeping the critters at bay. 

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Scrat
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/15/2018, 10:57 am

Have fn, TD.  My latest yesterday were three dogs from my new neighbours. Only the big one was theirs, the other two belonged to her mom.  Let out of their car the dogs ran joyfully on to my garden, did their business and marked their territory.

The large one is the 130 pound lab/mastiff cross, just a young dog and the two smaller dogs belong to Mom. The smallest is a sweet Yorkie and the middle dog is some kind of pug.

My plot is right next to their driveway and the dogs have no option but to come on to my land.  None of my beds are near their so I don't think there will be much trouble as they are pleasant folk and  the land is not fenced and it is natural for them to take the pathway of the bears. I am hoping the  big dog will discourage the bears.

I am off this morning to the Women's Centre to help with the SFG garden there. I will have a breakfast then do an hour with whatevr is needed; I think all the soil, including vermiculite and peat will be there.  A bit late but if it can be done today we will then have a couple of days to plant some seed and transplants.  One bed is already devoted to strawberries,  second has some herbs so I reckon we have one 6 x 3 bed and another half to finish off and hopefully I will be home for the afternoon to start painting my new planter in my car port. I can't wait to replant the succulents and other plants and the fresh compost that are lying around.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for our neighbouring town of Grand Forks, (one hour's drive away) who are expecting another bout of flooding from the snow in the mountains.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/15/2018, 11:14 am

I was thinking about you KJ when I saw the TV news report of the terrible flooding in Brutisdh Columbia.

Where are all the Canadian SFGers?  We want to hear from you!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/16/2018, 7:53 am

Glad you've made some new friends, Kelejan!

TD - your chipmunk reminds me of the one who tried to set up an apartment right under one of my blueberry bushes, lol! That worked for him until I put out my plastic snakes... Maybe that's something to consider.... Gotta move them around everyday, but helps with critters stealing my stuff!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/16/2018, 10:02 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Glad you've made some new friends, Kelejan!

TD - your chipmunk reminds me of the one who tried to set up an apartment right under one of my blueberry bushes, lol!  That worked for him until I put out my plastic snakes...  Maybe that's something to consider....  Gotta move them around everyday, but helps with critters stealing my stuff!
Yesterday the chipmunk pulled another trick on me. I could hear scratching at the back door of the garage. It must have gotten inside when I had the front or back door open. Then when I closed everything up it was trapped and desperate to get out. We have had one or two chipmunks in our yard every summer for as long as I can remember. I'll take them any day over the squirrels and raccoons.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/16/2018, 11:19 am

Frustrated ... A company just showed up to take down a tree in my neighbour's backyard. I asked them if I could have some wood chips. They said yes but I would have to take the whole load. Way too much for me. I can't believe it . . the wood chipper is in the neighbour's driveway just a few feet from my driveway. The photo is taken from our front porch and looking over our cars. So near yet so far.  Sad
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2212y it
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/17/2018, 12:38 pm

Today's flower and weed show in our yard (not SFG).
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2221
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2222
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2220
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2223
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2231
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2225
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2227
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2226
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2224
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2228
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2232
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2229
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2230
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/17/2018, 10:21 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Frustrated ... A company just showed up to take down a tree in my neighbour's backyard. I asked them if I could have some wood chips. They said yes but I would have to take the whole load. Way too much for me. I can't believe it . . the wood chipper is in the neighbour's driveway just a few feet from my driveway. The photo is taken from our front porch and looking over our cars. So near yet so far.  Sad
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 Img_2212y it
I feel for you, TD.  When I asked for the wood chips from the branches my neighbour had cut down, I got the whole load and I am still trying to process it. I know I will be able to use it, but meanwhile half of it is still on my driveway. And to think that it took me two years to get more after I had my own trees taken down.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/17/2018, 10:30 pm

Yesterday and today have been very satisfying for me.  The planter I assembled to close off part of my car port to make it like a little outdoor place to sit under shade, is progressing very well.  The eight-foot planter has been painted and assembled and I have begun to place the soil in position. About halfway done as I wanted to allow the forecast rain to give it a good watering,

When the rain arrived along with it came two enormous lightening strikes and thunderclaps, so loud that my little house shook, I could see the walls move.

I am betting that it disturbed a lot of dust. Very Happy 

I went to collect Guthrie tonight for his walk, but he would not come out of his home and I did not blame him as he hates thunder. He has not been happy these past few day and it has been impossible to walk him.  He just wants his home. Sad

TD, I enjoyed your flower show. Thank you!
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/24/2018, 12:27 pm

Well, nothing much happening in my garden for a few days, except the weeds are doing nicely, thank you.

Last Friday, I managed to trip over my feet while working on my car port entrance bed and feel on the concrete that had a lot of compost on it and scraped my elbow.  I was getting ready for a neighbourhood 60th birthday party and had remembered to bring in something that I did not want stolen in case any baddies were around. I tried to dress the wound, but so hard to do it oneself one-handed so I roughly covered it and went to the party just in time to have a slice of birthday cake.  I had been missed, but luckily Guthrie the dog's dad was there and as he performed first aid on me a year ago when I tripped over Guthrie, he and Loren took me across to their house and cleaned me up.

Saturday I started feeling very stiff, so I decided to do more work on my car-port entrance as my friend Diane came to help me. It involved lots of movement and I am afraid I overdid things and next day ended up with the most painful twinges in my back.  So got some pain killers from the pharmacist and I took it as easy as I could since then.

It doe not help when the cat jumps on the bed at 2am and wants to play. He was banned from the bedroom for several nights and he was not pleased.

Finally, this morning, I am almost pain free and ready to go out to lunch later on.

Along with mowing the lawn at least twice a week, getting the garbage out with five minutes spare, trying to get some weeding done and some seeds planted, I really have overworked myself.  And I still have half the wood chips to put down somewhere.

I will still take it easy for a while; I promise. Very Happy 

It seems that Trolley Driver and I are the only Canadians gardening; I expect everyone else is fighting floods or fires. We here in my area are lucky but the daughter of my friend Diane, could not drive through Salmo due to a washout, and had to drive to the top of Kootenay Lake to catch the Balfour Ferry and had to wait twelve hours along with her young son.That was why Diane was taking refuge with me so that  her daughter and grandson could get some rest. That was why I was working so hard as she is much younger and had more energy.

PS  I will in future put on proper foot-gear when rushing to do something in hurry. Bedroom slippers do not cut it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next