Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

+3
sanderson
trolleydriver
Kelejan
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

Post  sanderson 5/25/2018, 12:58 am

Oh, my! No, bedroom slippers are not exactly sturdy footwear.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018 - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in MaY 2018

Post  trolleydriver 5/25/2018, 7:50 am

Take care of yourself KJ.  We love your write-ups but prefer that you stay safe and do not have to report accidents. Love your positive attitude.

Last edited by trolleydriver on 5/26/2018, 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/26/2018, 7:09 am

Oh, dear.... Glad you're okay, Kelejan!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/26/2018, 4:10 pm

Glad you're okay now, Kel. I did a face-plant in the garden last year, so I know how bad it feels in the days after. NO FUN!  Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/27/2018, 11:28 pm

Country Naturals, I avoid doing face plants, just keep to elbows.  I am fine now and I will make sure I keep that way. Just a nasty scab on my elbow that I have to make sure I don't knock it off and have to start healing again. My back has stopped its nasty twinges so I have been able to mow the lawns and do a little more weeding etc. 

The temperature has been high these past few days, except for a sudden downpour on Thursday that had the streets running like rivers. That occurred while I out to lunch with  the seniors, but luckily I did not have to catch a bus home  but had a ride home straight to my door. The interesting thing about the ride, was that it was given to me and my new friend Mabel, by Nora who is an avid flower gardener, and she gave us an hour's ride around our most affluent neighbourhood, pointing out all the beautiful trees and shrubs and well maintained lawns and all the different houses. then taking me home, she even went around the little block that I walk the dog, and pointed out certain flowers, including some roses that my friend Persis has growing on her wall. This was when all the rain was falling and I must say it gave a kind of magical atmosphere to the ride. Also being a long time resident she was able to tell me who used to live in some of the houses and I was able to bring her up to date on some of the new inhabitants.

I have almost finished my little planter area that I made to shut off the car port area so as to give me a little sitting space when the weather is hot, and also to do a little potting of plants and sifting of compost when it is raining. It also means I can see passersby and call out to then if I feel like it. Very Happy 

Much needed rain forecast late tomorrow so I will make another effort to get the garden tidied up.  More things still need planting in place so it will give them a good boost when the rain arrives.  Saturday my friend Diane and I collected our two bags of free compost; but to tell you the truth, it is not half as good as mine but will be useful.

The peas , lettuce and others seeds are sprouting so I have to keep up with the watering.  Still a great swathe of couch grass and creeping buttercup to see to and which are just loving all the wood chips etc that have been laid down over the last four years.  I think I will have to lay paper over them  plus wood chips and start again.

I think the wood chips I laid under the old cherry trees is making the tree look a lot happier.  I am looking forward to seeing if the cherries do better this year.

Off Topic: I have been trying to trace my paternal ancestry for a long time and have located a cousin and a half-brother still living.  The cousin is so happy that she found me, but we will have to see if the brother is as happy.  This is due to Ancestry.com.

Last edited by Kelejan on 6/1/2018, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/28/2018, 4:01 am

I just love reading your posts. How nice to find your relatives.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/28/2018, 9:02 am

sanderson wrote:I just love reading your posts.  How nice to find your relatives.
Couldn't agree more.

By the way KJ, I recently discovered through Facebook another part of my family in the UK. I have been an only child all my life and I just found out that I have two half-sisters (one deceased) and three half-brothers. I am in almost daily contact with one brother and my surviving sister.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/28/2018, 12:21 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:I just love reading your posts.  How nice to find your relatives.
Couldn't agree more.

By the way KJ, I recently discovered through Facebook another part of my family in the UK. I have been an only child all my life and I just found out that I have two half-sisters (one deceased) and three half-brothers. I am in almost daily contact with one brother and my surviving sister.
This Ancestry stuff has certainly made a lot of difference to peoples' lives and I am sure that many people are finding relatives they never knew they had.  I knew for many years that I had paternal relatives but there was no way to prove that I belonged until this DNA testing came along.  I just could not imagine this happening 60 years ago.

Last edited by Kelejan on 5/29/2018, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/28/2018, 2:40 pm

Did Ancestry notify you of possible relations. I still haven't sent in my sample.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/28/2018, 2:54 pm

sanderson wrote:Did Ancestry notify you of possible relations.  I still haven't sent in my sample.  
Yes, about three times so far.  the first time I had about 164 third/fourth cousins, the second time increased to nearly 300, and I contacted and found a third  cousin and we have yet to work out the precise relationship as her mother, whose ancestry she was tracing, died last Christmas.  This last last time I got a first cousin and we immediately found out the relationship.  The third cousin is getting back in after her mother died and also found that we had the same person, one as her third and as a first cousin for me.

Perhaps we ought to have a separate thread for this, sanderson as it is Off Topic and not exactly related to SFG. I should not be hi-jacking the Canadian thread.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/29/2018, 2:40 am

Okay, no more Ancestry. Back to general Canadian events.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/29/2018, 12:40 pm

Yesterday I managed to clear my patch of four blueberry bushes by hacking down all the growth around them, watering, laying paper then compost then partially decompose wood chips that had be lying around near my compost pile.

The blueberry bushes had been overtaken by couch grass and creeping buttercup.  I must admit the buttercups looked glorious and I was sad that they had to go.

Later today I must attack another patch in the same way.  Last year everything got behind for several reasons, but I feel I am back on track once more. 

I still have half that pile of wood chips to clear from the driveway before things take root there. Very Happy  I am feeling much better now from that fall I had 11 days ago but still a little twinge in my back when I overdo it.  Yes, I will take care, my friends. Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/29/2018, 7:33 pm

Kelejan, so glad to hear you are doing well!  And sounds like the garden is happening!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2