Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Toplef10HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 I22gcj10HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Toplef10HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 I22gcj10HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Home Depot Planter Wall Block

+8
Windmere
sfg4uKim
GrowRunner
dzlater
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
Kelejan
yolos
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Depot Planter Wall Block

Post  yolos 6/6/2016, 9:11 am

sanderson wrote:What product did you use?  I like the look of sealant on plain wood, gives a richer look.
I tried to find a proper Sealant/Stain that was not going to kill me or family.  I went to two paint stores - Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore - and neither store had anything that was not toxic to some degree.  So I went to HD and purchased the cheapest thing I could find.  This is Tompson's WaterSeal.  Semi-Transparent, wood stain & Sealer - All in One - Woodland Cedar.  I sure wish I could have found one that was safe for planting vegetables.  I would have like to seal/stain all parts of the wood.  But, I only stained the outside of the bed so hopefully we all won't end up with cancer.  There is a warning that states "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.". 

If anyone else has found a better stain/sealer that is approved for using on a veggie bed, I would sure like to know the product.  I tried using raw linseed oil on some of my boxes but they still look like crap and doesn't look like they will last much longer than wood that was not treated with anything. I will be adding more beds this winter and renovating others and would love to treat the wood first.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Depot Planter Wall Block

Post  sanderson 6/6/2016, 5:48 pm

I don't think it is possible to have beauty on the outside and safety on the inside with the same product. Sad My sealant is from a local chain (Orchard Supply Hardware - OSH) and was just used on the outside. Now that the beds are table tops, the wood beds are lasting longer. Again, another trade off as TTs are not for everyone or every situation.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/6/2016, 9:45 pm

Here is the next step completed in the build.  Not sure this is any easier than using screws etc to build the bed.  But it has a nicer look.  Still have to put up the trellis, soil, and plant.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal13
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/7/2016, 1:31 am

HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/21/2016, 10:23 am

Update on my fancy new bed.  I planted Flamingo Pole Beans on 6/16.  A few did not sprout.  I usually plant two seeds together and then clip one if they both grow.  But I only had 25 seeds so I decided to just plant one in each spot.  I plan on planting another row just to the left of the current row.  Hopefully, the back row will shade the front row and maybe the heat won't get all of them.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal10
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/7/2016, 8:50 pm

Yolos, how are your Flamingo Pole beans doing?  Also the beautiful bed you made for them, how is that looking?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/9/2016, 5:17 pm

Thanks for asking Kelejan.   

I added some decorative pieces of stained 2x2's vertically to the lower front of the planter.  I think it gives it a little smarter look.  The back row of the beans were planted 6/11 and then I planted a front row of beans on 6/24.  The back row has reached the top of the decorative fence.  The front row is just putting out runners so it will eventually fill in the box with greenery.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal11

I just added a 10 foot trellis in the back of the planter.  Here is a shot of the new trellis.  The first 54 inches of the trellis is the decorative fence that is around the pool area.  Then I took some 1/2 EMT pipe, spray painted it black to match the decorative fence and then hung black paracord from the top of the trellis to the decorative fence.  You really can't see much of the paracord.  The tips of the Flamigo Beans are just at the top of the decorative fence.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal12
I can't wait until the planter gets full of green and the vines begin to climb the paracord.  Hopefully they will reach the top.  I also can't wait to get Barbie Pink beans hanging from the trellis.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/9/2016, 10:21 pm

That looks so neat, Yolos.  That addition as so very unobtrusive. It will almost look as though the beans are standing tall all by themselves.

When I went back to this thread I was looking for the block as I wanted some.  Then I realized that the store was Home Depot and our local store is Home Hardware, no wonder they did not have any.  Sad Not the same business.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/9/2016, 10:37 pm

Kelejan wrote:...

When I went back to this thread I was looking for the block as I wanted some.  Then I realized that the store was Home Depot and our local store is Home Hardware, no wonder they did not have any.  Sad Not the same business.

I could not find those blocks at Home Depot Canada (in the store and online).  Maybe next year for us if ever.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/31/2016, 1:23 pm

Update on my Flamingo Pole Beans in my Home Depot Planter Wall Block bed.  The tallest vine is about 2 feet from the top of the trellis.  So it is about 8 feet tall.  There are a few very tiny beans setting on now but none of them are pink yet.  They better hurry and turn pink or I will be ticked off.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal13

Here is a close up of the first bean.  It's not pink yet.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal14
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/31/2016, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the update, yolos. It all looks very neat.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 8/1/2016, 7:32 am

trolleydriver wrote:

I could not find those blocks at Home Depot Canada (in the store and online).  Maybe next year for us if ever.
I couldn't  find them at Home Depot in Illinois OR Missouri. Still looking though.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/1/2016, 1:33 pm

MrBooker wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:

I couldn't  find them at Home Depot in Illinois OR Missouri. Still looking though.
My thinking is that with the Internet way of selling, one could order for delivery to one's nearest Home Depot provided you were not concerned by how long it would take.
Distribution is the key surely?  Ordering from sellers usually consists of one order to one home at a huge cost of shipping and handling but at great speed. There are on so many Home Depots in the country, I would think that they could combine shipping from their main distribution points after making sure that the orders were paid in advance.  I would be very happy myself to wait months if necessary to get something I really wanted.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2016, 11:16 am

Update - The vines of the Flamingo Pole Beans have reached the top of the 10 foot trellis so they are growing well.  They are not setting very many beans because of our extreme heat and humidity.  Now that the temps are going down they may set more beans.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal15

I am not sure that my purchase from EBay was a good purchase.  These beans are supposed to turn pink way before they mature.  Mine are only turning slightly pink just as they mature.  And they are supposed to be totally pink.   I will wait awhile to determine if any more of them turn pink before they ripen.  Here are the oldest two beans.  They are ready to pick but what am I going to do with two beans.   thinking  Maybe save until dry to use to plant next year or just wait until more beans start to set and grow.
HD wall - Home Depot Planter Wall Block - Page 2 Hd_wal16
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/17/2016, 11:51 am

Bad bean year here, too. Both Kentucky Wonder and Scarlet Runner are fails so far.
Is anyone on the East Coast having any luck with pole beans?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/17/2016, 1:36 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Bad bean year here, too.  Both Kentucky Wonder and Scarlet Runner are fails so far.

CC

I got nothing from my scarlet runner beans. The yellow was and the purple bush beans are doing OK.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2016, 10:17 pm

Yolos - you have the green touch.

I just pulled out the Dragon Tongues for the year. They were getting scale. Sad But next year . . . Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2016, 10:52 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Bad bean year here, too.  Both Kentucky Wonder and Scarlet Runner are fails so far.

CC
I had great production from the Fortex Pole Beans that I planted on 4/19.  They set beans before the hot weather arrived.  I planted Emerite Pole beans on 5/5 and they produced one big harvest and then just stopped because of the heat.  I planted some Rattlesnake Pole Beans on 6/14 and they have done fairly well and are known for producing beans well in the heat.  I planted the Flamingo Pole Beans on 6/11 but they must not like the heat because the flowers are dropping without setting many beans.  Now that the weather is moderating a little, maybe they will start setting better.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/12/2018, 10:22 pm

Bumping. I think this is a beautiful design for beds when looks are imperative.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2