Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018?

+4
sanderson
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Empty CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018?

Post  Kelejan 4/1/2018, 4:55 am

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!  We have had a couple of nice sunny days here in the British Columbia Southern Interior and I have been able to get out and sweep the majority of the gravel laid down during the winter on to the stretch of grass in front of my home.  I have the largest are of grass in my neighbourhood, about 90 x 30 feet and every year it gets the snow plow shoveled on to it complete with all the gravel laid on the road and this year has been the worst, I think due to a new driver the way he handles the plowing. All around our sub-division the neat grass verges have been ripped up and the turf has to be relaid each year. I am not the only one moaning. Very Happy

This year the city seemed to have put down so much that I have put the  recycled gravel on the bottom of my driveway, the part where the concrete meets the road.

The day time temperature reached 11C on Friday but yesterday only about  9C and the air is getting colder with it coming down from up north.

Right now I feel that I am coming down with a cold;  if so, then it will be my first for a long time.I went to bed early with a "Neo Citron", slept well for a few hours, so now up at 1:45am and still feel like a cold coming, to off to bed again with another "NC"

We have snow in our forecast in a couple of days. Still have lots to do in preparing the SF beds but I am appreciating the longer daylight time.  Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018?

Post  Kelejan 4/1/2018, 5:26 am

Just checked my local weather forecast,
Today:       6C/42F   Flurries of rain showers.
Tonight:     0C/32F   Chance of Flurries.
Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018?

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/1/2018, 7:53 am

Hope you feel better quickly, Kelejan!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/1/2018, 7:58 am

Bummer about feeling low there, Kelejan. When I feel something coming on I utilize all that garlic that we grow every year. Smash a clove and swallow it like a goldfish every couple hours and anything that ails you will run.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/1/2018, 2:31 pm

KJ, Take care of yourself first. The garden can wait a few more days.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/1/2018, 9:41 pm

sanderson wrote:KJ, Take care of yourself first.  The garden can wait a few more days.
 Yes, sanderson, the garden can wait a bit especially as today we had intermittent sunshine, rain, snow, wind.

I had a lazy day, reading, watching some TV, sleeping and drinking fluids and so far I feel much better.  More snow forecast for tomorrow so I think I will stay indoors again.
No dog walking tonight.

I looked up the weather for Ottawa, and the weather there is much colder.  Brr!

Last edited by Kelejan on 4/4/2018, 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/1/2018, 9:57 pm

Kelejan wrote:
sanderson wrote:KJ, Take care of yourself first.  The garden can wait a few more days.
 Yes, sanderson, the garden can wait a bit especially as today we had intermittent sunshine, rain, snow, wind.

I had a lazy day, reading, watching some TV, sleeping and drinking fluids and so far I feel much better.  More snow forecast for tomorrow so I think I will stay indoors again.
No dog walking tonight.

I looked up the weather for Ottawa, and the weather there is much colder.  Brr!
Get well KJ.  Yup Ottawa was quite cold today.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/4/2018, 12:55 am

I had a surprise today when a load of lovely wood chips arrived on my driveway. My neighbour had told me that she was having an oak tree branch that was resting on her garage trimmed  but did not quite know when it would happen. It happened today and on my return from town, there they were.  One could just see the green trying to burst through,  It was a larger pile than I bargained for and I only managed to bag a little of it to put on my Jazz's grave as it needed topping up.

My cold is hanging on and I really did not feel like doing any work and to make it worse, the forecast tonight is rain for the rest of the week.  I have tried to cover the pile as much as I can but I am afraid it is going to get very wet. The chips did not cost me anything so I will not grumble. Very Happy

Yesterday the weather was cold, some freezing rain, some blowing snow, and some blazing sunshine for all of ten minutes. Today was just plain cold.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2018, 2:29 am

You need a couple more of these . . . a lazy day, reading, watching some TV, sleeping and drinking fluids

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/9/2018, 1:03 pm

glad you\'re here Alexandra from Vancouver, B.C. happy hi 
from all of us in Canada. :canada: 

I bet you have daffodils and even tulips blooming in Vancouver.  Here in Castlegar we had heavy wet snow on Saturday but I was able to get an hour's work before it came then spent the rest of the day looking out the window.  Sunday I got up early, read the forecast again and managed a half hour of outside work before it rained again.

Right now I have a pile of wood chips to be placed on the garden and I am finding it heavy going.  I still have a lot of clearing up to do and yesterday I missed the garden refuse collection and will have to wait until May 8 to take advantage of the free  collection.  Luckily I can recycle most of my stuff to my own garden.

I hope all our Canadians are seeing the beginning of spring? It seems to have been a long winter but I have the feeling that it gets longer the longer you live.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/10/2018, 3:23 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Right now I have a pile of wood chips to be placed on the garden and I am finding it heavy going.  I still have a lot of clearing up to do ...

Ditto on the clean up and a wood chip pile that is larger than expected...or needed.
Rolling Eyes
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/13/2018, 1:44 am

For the first time in a couple of weeks I have got up in the morning and felt like really working on my chip-pile.

Alas, it was poring with rain, so I stayed in and chopped up a lot of old veggies I had collected from my neighbour and also from the ladies at the women's centre I call in three times a week. It had been sitting in my fridge for several days so I decided to get on with it, chopping and putting it into my tumbler compost. 

After a cup of coffee, I was rewarded with sunshine so I was able to get on with shovelling bags of chips on to my road frontage where I had the old birch trees taken down about four years ago.  I could have gone on but I know when to stop and not get overtired.  According to the weather forecast it should have been raining all day, but I expect it has only been put back a day but with luck I may be able to do a similar amount today then I will be able to really see some progress.

So satisfying today.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/13/2018, 3:17 am

KJ, You had a productive day. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/13/2018, 9:13 am

sanderson wrote:KJ, You had a productive day. Very Happy
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  alexandraleira 4/13/2018, 1:15 pm

We've got tulips up yes, but a cold wind is blowing! I hope that you feel better soon and your work on the pile is rewarding.

I'm hanging with the kids on a rainy sick day, we're planting the last of our seeds today and trying to do some spring cleaning to stay busy and kick this thing in its butt!

Last week we repotted a bunch of houseplants as well, they got pretty potbound over this winter as we've been a busy bunch. Need to keep our indoor greenery healthy as well!
Have a great weekend all! Happy Friday.
alexandraleira
alexandraleira

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/14/2018, 11:03 pm

This morning I went refuse collecting as I was so sick of all the rubbish down our road leading the the feeder road into town.  I collected six black trash bags and I regret to say that most of the rubbish came from the B.C. Housing Estate located near the feeder road and the junction.  Generally, the houses that are owner occupied are OK except for the occasional bear raids from garbage cans.

Luckily as I was going home with the first three bags, I passed a neighbour whose son was on the way to the town dump so was able to take those first three bags off me; saved me going all the way home so I was able to gather another three bags. Took about two hours; if the rain holds off I will go and finish the job tomorrow morning, I think perhaps  only one or two more  bags required. I much rather had been sorting out my wood chips and garden but this rubbish had really been bugging me every time I took Guthrie for his evening walk.  There were three garage sales on the go and there must have been several hundred cars come down our small No-through-road so I am hoping that our townsfolk will have a reasonable impression of our area. 

Unfortunately for me, after expending all this energy I was good for nothing until late afternoon and then the rain came down and the forecast is another four days of rain.  I will not grumble about the weather as in the East of Canada freezing rain and snow is forecast.  My sympathies to you all, dear Easterners.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/14/2018, 11:21 pm

Kelejan wrote:This morning I went refuse collecting as I was so sick of all the rubbish down our road leading the the feeder road into town.  I collected six black trash bags and I regret to say that most of the rubbish came from the B.C. Housing Estate located near the feeder road and the junction.  Generally, the houses that are owner occupied are OK except for the occasional bear raids from garbage cans.

Luckily as I was going home with the first three bags, I passed a neighbour whose son was on the way to the town dump so was able to take those first three bags off me; saved me going all the way home so I was able to gather another three bags. Took about two hours; if the rain holds off I will go and finish the job tomorrow morning, I think perhaps  only one or two more  bags required. I much rather had been sorting out my wood chips and garden but this rubbish had really been bugging me every time I took Guthrie for his evening walk.  There were three garage sales on the go and there must have been several hundred cars come down our small No-through-road so I am hoping that our townsfolk will have a reasonable impression of our area. 

Unfortunately for me, after expending all this energy I was good for nothing until late afternoon and then the rain came down and the forecast is another four days of rain.  I will not grumble about the weather as in the East of Canada freezing rain and snow is forecast.  My sympathies to you all, dear Easterners.

KJ you are amazing.  You need to bottle your energy secret and start selling it.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/15/2018, 12:56 am

KJ, you truly are an amazing inspiration for us all!

Our weather SUCKS!!!

It literally went from 78* Friday to 35 today,  I have ZERO in the garden.  I have lettuces and a few chard that would normally be out there..in cells.  Not cool,

Gonna start my maters and peppers tomorrow.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8719

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/15/2018, 1:59 pm

trolleydriver wrote:KJ you are amazing.  You need to bottle your energy secret and start selling it.  Very Happy
KJ Elixir

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/15/2018, 3:21 pm

sanderson wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:KJ you are amazing.  You need to bottle your energy secret and start selling it.  Very Happy
KJ Elixir
I'll take a case of 24 to begin with.  bounce
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/15/2018, 6:01 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:
KJ Elixir
I'll take a case of 24 to begin with.  bounce
Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/16/2018, 8:12 am

TD, Scorpio and sanderson; please, not too much praise for this KJ Elixir, it has all been used up as there is a very limited supply. If there was any left over, I would share with all of you. 

Right now it is bucketing down with rain here but as I said before, my sympathies are with our Eastern gardeners with ice pellets, snow, future floods etc.  However did out pioneers of the last centuries cope when they had stuff like this?

The rest of the week's weather forecast has those little pretty raindrop shapes, morning, afternoon and evening. I would love to see that large yellow shape instead.

Placing some of my wood chips yesterday I had to pull some weeds and after about four years of the original wood chips plus toppings, digging down reveals some wonderful black earth. The weeds are easy to pull out, and they sure look healthy.  I intend to plant members of the cucumber family, patty pans etc. and let them  sprawl down the bank so that any passerby can pick them from the road.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/16/2018, 10:30 am

Freezing rain with winds up to 70 km/hr. Ice is building up on the power line coming into our house. The driveway and street are skating rinks.
CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Img_2148
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/16/2018, 12:26 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Freezing rain with winds up to 70 km/hr. Ice is building up on the power line coming into our house. The driveway and street are skating rinks.
CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018? Img_2148
YIKES! Pull up the covers. Throw another log on the fire.  lots o
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/16/2018, 12:30 pm

Kelejan wrote: I intend to plant members of the cucumber family, patty pans etc. and let them  sprawl down the bank so that any passerby can pick them from the road.
BIG hug
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next