Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 17 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/6/2016, 8:51 pm

I have Kale that is 3 years old.  It's not super happy in the summer but if you keep it somewhat sun shaded and moist it will survive and grow again in the fall/winter/spring.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 6/6/2016, 9:36 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I have Kale that is 3 years old.  It's not super happy in the summer but if you keep it somewhat sun shaded and moist it will survive and grow again in the fall/winter/spring.
SWEET! Thanks, Audrey. We love kale (and so does our rabbit.)  cheers California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/7/2016, 1:22 pm

I have tree kale planted that has produced for the last 2 years and isn't effected by the summer heat. It does bolt, but sends side branches and keeps producing edible leaves while flowering. Most of the brassica family just bolts when the temp rises. I guess you could find a cold, shaded northern exposure and try, but I'd save the water and plant late August.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2016, 5:11 am

Well, I am going through a funk with the garden. It looks like something is going through the garden except for the peppers. Tomato stems/leaves are dying. I can't find any insect except for little green grasshoppers. Yes, there are sow bugs and earwigs and slugs but the Sluggo seems to keep them down. Most of the first round of tomatoes have BER except for Sun Gold and Snow Fairy and the over-wintered Atkinson. I hate to spray with Neem and I haven't gotten around to spraying with milk, yet. Hopefully, things will turn around and I can be perky again. Just venting. Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/11/2016, 8:37 am

Sorry you are having trouble with your garden.  Hope you figure it out.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/11/2016, 8:56 am

sanderson ... Ouch!  Sad

I hope you are able to resolve those problems very soon. 

My understanding of BER is that is caused by calcium deficiency which can be related to too much nitrogen which ties up the calcium. Could the other problem (leaves, stems) be some kind of blight or wilt (e.g., VM)? Do you always grow the tomatoes in the same location or do you use crop rotation?  Are other crops being affected? I'm asking these questions as if I am some kind of expert which I am not!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 6/11/2016, 9:28 am

Hey Sanderson, sorry about your garden too. Funk is a very fitting word for what we are going through right now.
TD, please don't ever stop asking questions. You seem to find just the right questions to ask that make me think about things a little differently. That is what I like about this site, people ask the right questions which REALLY HELPS to solve or make a situation come to light so that the problems can be recognized, which lead to understanding and the solution. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 12:24 pm

Sanderson, NO!  Evil or Very Mad Your garden is supposed to perfect. You do all the right things and inspire the rest of us. I don't even know what questions to ask, much less have any answers for you. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/11/2016, 12:56 pm

I was under the impression the BER was primarily caused by calcium deficiency.  Which out in Cali sounds funny given our liquid rock we can water.

Have you been irrigating with rain water reserves?  Is the PH good?  Just ideas to check, PH can bind the calcium too.

(note to self, read whole thread before replying)
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/11/2016, 1:35 pm

Fastest way to get available calcium to the plant's roots is the same way moms keep kid's bones strong and healthy- MILK! Straight up or powdered will do. Calcium deficiencies are not only brought on by too much nitrogen, but too much magnesium (Epsom salts) can also be the cause. You can use it out of the carton or powdered and watered it in. If you are using a drip system turn it off and top water for a while to get the milk down to the roots faster and more efficiently.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/11/2016, 2:16 pm

I spray 1 to 3 ratio of milk and water.  I spray on the leaves and  under the leaves and the ground around each plant.  I do that a couple times a year and have seen good results.

I do it in September when we start to see powdery mildew because of the humidity and cooling temps and once in the spring after the plants have taken off.  I will pull it out when issues arise as you really can't over do the milk. 

I have heard raw milk is best so I'm tracking down a resource up here in the mountains to buy some. We couldn't find it in town.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2016, 3:29 pm

I found one store, can't remember the name thinking , but it is kitty-corner from Hoover High, on the South West corner in the strip mall. It's been there forever. Kristina's Natural Ranch Market!!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 3:32 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I have heard raw milk is best so I'm tracking down a resource up here in the mountains to buy some. We couldn't find it in town.
 Does Alta Dena still sell it? Are they just So Cal or do you have them where you are?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2016, 7:34 pm

I think Alta Dena is still in business. The problem is to find a local source. I let my fingers and cell phone do most of the walking. Kristina's was the only store that carried non-pasteurized dairy but I don't remember the name of the producer.

I don't think I have a calcium deficiency so much as an uptake problem. I will be spraying everything with milk this evening. I sprayed some Dr. Bronners liquid peppermint on one eggplant and the Kiss-me-over-the-garden gate as an experiment. Photos to follow.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2016, 8:15 pm

Eggplant pest damage: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Eggpla17
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Eggpla16
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Eggpla18

Tomato pest damage: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Tomato10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Tomato11
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Tomato12

Flower pest damage: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Pest_k10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Pest_k12
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Pest_k11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 10:20 pm

I found a little green worm turning one of my cuke leaves into a lace curtain this morning. The damage looked a lot like your pics, Sanderson. It's ridiculous how much damage one tiny critter can do in a very short time and how hard it is to find the culprit. Sad Hmm, I think I'd better go out and check again, in case there was more than one. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 6/11/2016, 10:26 pm

....and I found a little tiny hole in my little tiny zucchini yesterday.  Picked it, took it in the house & there was a little black wiggly worm inside it.  I CUT THE SUCKER IN HALF!  

Ahem...feeling very violent right now.  I think I'm the only person who can't grow zucchini.  That was my ONLY zucchini.   Sad

However!  Does anyone need any yellow squash?   Laughing
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/11/2016, 10:54 pm

Mellen wrote:....and I found a little tiny hole in my little tiny zucchini yesterday.  Picked it, took it in the house & there was a little black wiggly worm inside it.  I CUT THE SUCKER IN HALF!  

Ahem...feeling very violent right now.  I think I'm the only person who can't grow zucchini.  That was my ONLY zucchini.   Sad

However!  Does anyone need any yellow squash?   Laughing
I THINK IT'S AN INVASION!  affraid I just went back out to check on my cukes and found 8 MORE WORMS & A COCOON! 
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Worm-l10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Worm10
 I'd love to try some yellow squash. (You mean seeds, right?  Embarassed) What would you like in return?

Sanderson: I have leaves with almost all the symptoms in your pics. What a drag.  Sad

I spent the entire day with the aphids in my milkweed patch. I hope they appreciate all that special attention.  Twisted Evil (Did somebody say something about feeling violent?)  Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 6/12/2016, 9:23 am

Actually, I was talking about ready to eat yellow squash.  I'm about squashed out and they don't freeze well.  I might try shredding & freezing it.  I read that this will work for tossing in soup & stew.  

If you want yellow squash seeds I'm happy to oblige although I don't know if that's an heirloom plant since my daughter purchased it at the CSU Fresno plant sale.  I have some more fruit growing on the prolific plant.  I'll let one get huge & harvest the seeds.  Since I have never saved seeds, I won't require a "return".  If the ones I give you grow, we'll discuss a swap next year.  How's that sound?

As for those little caterpillars I see in your photos, check plants with a scissors & CUT them in half.  Very satisfying!
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/12/2016, 12:21 pm

CN, Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt will help with the caterpillars. I don't like spraying it on leaves (lettuce, cabbage, etc.) that are eaten directly, but for fruit-setting plants like cucumbers, it should help. I get the cabbage caterpillar on bean leaves about the time the beans show up, and just hand pick them off. Different ways to handle them.

So, last evening I sprayed Dr. Bronner's on one eggplant, the lower part of the Kiss-me flower and the Dragon Tongue beans. Then 2% high Omerga-3 milk on everything else using the hose jar attachment. Then watered all the MM with non-fat powdered milk for calcium. May not have achieved a darn thing, but it felt good just doing something. Of course, it rained during the night. . .

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/12/2016, 12:50 pm

Mellen: Sounds perfect. Since it was a college sale, I'm betting those are heirloom seeds, and since you're so close to our zone, if they do well for you, hopefully they'll do well for me, too. After researching this site, I found out I can't save seeds either. I grow 3 varieties of cukes together, 3 varieties of melons together, and 3 varieties of tomatoes together. That makes my sfg a casebook study in cross-pollination.  Sad So, I'll just revise my plan and buy plenty of heirloom seeds, so I'll always have good stuff to trade. 

Sanderson: I picked off 2 more worms this morning. Mad I prefer the hands-on method to any kind of spray. That said, I have bigger problems with my cukes, so I did spray Miracle Gro all over them this morning, after gleaning the last of our wood stove ash as a side dressing and soaking that in with still more Miracle Gro. I know I'm overdoing it, but my cukes are really suffering and they're my favorite crop.  Sad
Like you, I feel better for doing something. I just can't stand by and watch them die. Mad Nutz! My pics aren't coming over from my One Drive. I'll post them later, but it isn't pretty. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/28/2016, 11:03 am

It's bit a bit since I wrote on this thread.

Mellen, have you tried "chopping, blanching and ice water plunge, then spread on cookie sheet to freeze" for saving summer squashes?  I have a Seal-a-Meal and it is nice to pull something from summer out of the freezer in the winter.

BER is disappearing with the newer tomatoes.  I don't know if the milk spraying and soil drench helped or if the soil got warm enough.  I'm kind of leaning towards the milk.  I've posted in other threads that I am having a heck of a year.

Last night it was 90*F at 10:30 PM and 80*F at midnight.  When I got up at 5:45 AM this morning it was still 80*F so I don't think it dipped much lower.  I finished cutting up the Agribon-30, 7' x 50', that I just received and finished covering for 7 boxes.  I really like the product, kind of like interfacing material for sewing clothes.  Light enough to float over the tender tips of the pole beans but substantial enough to handle.  The Home Depot 75% shade cloth is still the best for overhead shade for the patio area.  It eliminates the radiant heat that would otherwise come from the red brick patio. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Shade_11
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Shade_10

The BTE tomato suckers and sunflowers are doing good. I'm considering planting more of the tomatoes in half of it next year. I'm one unlucky Californian with tomatoes. I have a neighbor that brought us some summer squash. She has everything on the west side of her backyard where there is shade from noon on. Everything is just stuck in the ground with some horse manure. If I had one thing to do different with my table tops it would be to silicon the interior cracks and crevices of the boxes and make only 1/4"-3/8" bottom holes so that more water would be retained within the boxes. Live and learn. Over time, I hope to retro-fix the boxes and make the new ones tighter.

To end on a happier note, I do have what I call successes (for me):

Abu Rawan tomatoes: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Tomato17
Romas: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Tomato16
Perennial NZ Spinach that needs to be harvested, gift seed that keeps on giving.   Very Happy  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 New_ze10
BTE tomatoes and sunflowers as of 6-23-16. It's also serving as grasshopper nursery, but I hope to spray Neem oil this evening (when it's down to 100*F in the shade! Razz : California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Bte_7_10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/28/2016, 12:30 pm

Lookin' good, Sanderson. 

If you use the Seal-A-Meal, do you still need to blanch?

Okay, I think I qualify for the World's Dumbest Beginning Gardener's Goof Award. pale I planned my summer crops, I planned my winter crops, I planned my compost, cover crops, and in-the-house crops. What I DIDN'T plan for was the transition period. The planting calendar says July is when I should be planting turnips, carrots, and broccoli, but the spaces I had allocated won't be available until October. DUH! Embarassed No I've been scrambling all morning, figuring out what to relocate, what to get rid of, what to give up on, and feeling really, really STOOPID!  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/28/2016, 12:43 pm

Yes, blanching is important for freezing. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16490-blanching-and-freezing-vegetables

Razz Yes, the first year is the big learning year. I hope other No. Cal folks chime in. At this point, I plant winter starts by Oct 1 now. So, don't pull anything out until late September. Sometimes, Sept is a bumper month with cooler temps. Back up from Oct 1 to find out when to start the seedlings. I still need to find a garlic and red onion that will be ready to pull by April 1. Short day varieties needed for my lat. The book California Fruit & Vegetable Gardening by Claire Splan may help.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/28/2016, 5:31 pm

Sanderson - your New Zealand spinach looks very green and happy.  I tried to grow some this year but couldn't get a single one to germinate.  I will try again next year after seeing how yours is doing in your heat.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 41  Next