Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 10 of 41 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/18/2016, 1:02 pm

yeah... seeds.  I'm a charter member of "seed-a-holic's anon!"

I sent my sweetie to the doctor yesterday for his knee surgery follow up.  Then to Home Depot to get 6-8 pony packs of annuals for our window boxes.  He went shopping with a $25 gift certificate from our son.  mmmmmm..... methinks this is more than $25 worth   Very Happy

This is what he brought home "because they were all so pretty"
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 20160318_094618_resized_zpsagzcjc7h

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 20160318_094632_resized_1_zpsdaa20kvd

I guess I have some work to do today, lol!

The hydranangea is actually 4 plants so my yard is going to be spectacular.  I am claiming one of my veggie patches next to the front patio and filling it with flowers so it's going to be so gorgeous.  If only they would plant themselves... can't ask the guy with the knee replacement to do it tongue
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 3/18/2016, 6:24 pm

Pretty, pretty!!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/18/2016, 6:27 pm

Might as well show our State flower - California Poppies.  I called them puppies when I was pre-school age.
Taken somewhere enroute to SLO. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Poppie10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/18/2016, 8:58 pm

"Puppies" how cute?!!!  They are magnificent this year with all the rains.  

I.  Hurt.  A lot!

1/2 of the flowers planted plus clean up and weeding of our wooded patio area, compost hauled and distributed, wood chip mulch hauled and put down on 3/4 of the garden.  Headed to the shower now, I may never come out  Laughing  By sheer luck, all of the plants are gopher resistant varieties so into the ground they go.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/19/2016, 1:28 am

You should sleep soundly tonight. sawing logs

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/19/2016, 7:52 am

AWWWW... What a sweet hubby!

Yeah, I BET you slept good. That was a lot of work...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/19/2016, 9:02 am

Wow, the poppies are great this year!
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  joy.cheri 3/19/2016, 10:34 pm

Audrey, Way to go! That was a lot of work!

Here is what I worked on today. We finally got the vermiculite. We had to special order it and they messed up my order twice. So finally on the third time, they got it right!

But first, I wanted to put down weed cloth, so today I worked on raking back the wood chips, laying the cloth and shoveling them back. Phew! It was a lot harder than I thought. I got two rows done - enough to put my pots back. Next task is to mix up a batch of mel's mix. See my huge pile of stuff for my mix!! 

Also, see my cute baby in the stroller? And my red-roofed chicken coop!

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Img_2817
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Img_2822
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Img_2823
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Img_2824
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 10 Img_2825
joy.cheri
joy.cheri

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/19/2016, 11:39 pm

bounce How exciting! With 2 adorable little ones , you may want a shaded play area, admire-my-garden area in the garden. Couple benches, chairs. PS: The vermiculite and peat moss are one time expenses/projects.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  joy.cheri 3/20/2016, 12:58 am

Thanks for the reminder about the peat and vermiculite purchases. I need it! I almost died when I saw how much the vermiculite was going to be. Luckily, my husband is all for my gardening, so when I told him I wanted to spend hundreds on soil, he went along with it!

There is a play area above this terrace. I should take pictures! Its not entirely shaded, but it has a huge oak tree where we hang their swings, so there is some shade.
joy.cheri
joy.cheri

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/20/2016, 4:07 pm

Looks like you've got a great set-up, Joy.cheri!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/20/2016, 10:50 pm

Joy, somebody here had a great analogy I'm going to borrow (can't recall who it was).  They said Mel's mix is like when you get a puppy and buy the dog bowl, the bed and the dog food.  You only buy the bowl and dog bed once since it isn't a consumable, however the food (the compost) gets eaten up and replaced. 

We haven't bought much this past year other than a roll of 6 mil plastic since our greenhouse cover failed.  The rest we just gather from free materials in our rural location that we compost.  It gets easier every year Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  joy.cheri 3/21/2016, 11:49 pm

I love that analogy! Its a hard jump to make though because theoretically you can garden a lot cheaper! However, I'm banking that all this work (and money) up front is going to make it easier, more successful and therefore more enjoyable later on, right?
joy.cheri
joy.cheri

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/22/2016, 12:04 am

Right!  You are absolutely right, I can almost guarantee it.  Plus the lack of back breaking labor.... cheers

And your kids are gorgeous! I love you

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 3/22/2016, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Kids!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/22/2016, 3:20 am

If you make your own multi-source compost (which I think you mentioned a compost area), then all you will be doing is adding more compost. Some of us belong to CA (Compost Anonymous). Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  joy.cheri 3/22/2016, 11:42 pm

Thank you, Scorpio!

Yes, I have access to as much mushroom compost as I want! Seriously, people bring dump trucks and they fill them up! Also, we have our own compost, but first I need to set up a new compost area, so I can start using the old. Hopefully this weekend I will mix up my mel's mix!
joy.cheri
joy.cheri

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/23/2016, 3:58 am

Joy, I have an idea for you. Rent a clean cement mixer. You can tumble peat moss to fluff it up and dump on a tarp. Use it to mix your 5 composts and dump on another section of tarp. Finally, to mix the fluffed peat moss, vermiculite and 5-way compost, spraying it as it tumbles. Dump on a tarp that you can drag over to where most of the pots are. Or dump in a wheel barrow. You have a lot of containers to fill. I would definitely use one if I was filling all 103 sq ft and pots, buckets and totes that I have. Fortunately, I have added beds over 3 years so I didn't need one.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/23/2016, 11:58 am

Sanderson, that's a really good idea.  I can remember how much of a strain it put on my back to mix the most recent 64 sq ft of beds!  

I just realized after reading that that I could have used my compost tumbler in a similar fashion.  I will tuck that tidbit away in my pea-brain for future use, lol!  Wink
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/23/2016, 4:27 pm

A compost tumbler!  Good idea. I will have to get one some year in the near future.

I have been sidelined from the SFG.  On Sunday I worked on the front lawn while husband was in LV.  I high-trimmed the lawn, letting the trimmings stay on the grass.  He is not in favor of leaving them on the lawn.  But, I read that if the clippings are less than 1" they will break down and not build up thatch.  Then, sowed Fescue seeds in the bald spots and for the heck of it, spread some all over the rest on the lawn.  Then screened City compost for 2 hours (that really did my back in) into the wheel barrow, made 3 trips to the front yard and spread heavy over the bald spots and lightly over the rest.  Then strained the 24-hour old compost tea and sprayed over the lawn, making sure I washed everything down where there was grass.  Too much work for my back, but I wanted to start the the great dollar spot fungus experiment.

Monday was just some necessary house work before Ken got home. Wink  Then dental appt. and grocery shopping.  But by evening, my back hurt to much to stand up to make dinner so we had Panda Express.   Embarassed

Tuesday I made chicken bone broth as the wind was murder on my allergies, even though I take Allegra in the spring.  Spent some time (like every day) catching up on all the posts here on the Forum.  When I poured the strained chicken broth in the decanter, I realized that I had not put in the spigot!  Lost a cup or so of mostly chicken fat with some running into the area under the sink!  What the heck?  That decanter will be the death of me!  So I had to drag everything out, clean and dry out.  I had no idea I had that many plastic bags under there!  Razz  

My seedlings are getting true leaves (what has germinated).  I wanted to bottom water the seedling cups with the compost tea but now I'm afraid it may have turned anaerobic.  I failed to stir it yesterday.  I wonder if it is too late to use?

Okay, you can see that I have nothing to contribute to the Forum right now.  Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/23/2016, 4:49 pm

sanderson ... that's a lot of work you did. I've got the back problem as well but mine was from simply putting a box of books into the trunk of the car. Now I can hardly wait to get the bad back again when I turn my compost (if it ever thaws out).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/23/2016, 9:29 pm

I've dealt with back issues this last year - I keep hearing my personal trainer's voice in my ear "long stomach, relaxed shoulders!)  In my case it wasn't so much a "back" issue as my stomach muscles had tightened up and were spasming.  So now I spend a few minutes every day on my teeter hang up actually focusing on stretching those stomach muscles. If I do that, the back will be in the right place.  

I turned my huge compost pile today.  The key is slowly, small shovels full, not over extending my reach (gets to my lower back).  Keeping the shovel fairly tight in to my body and switching lead hands 50/50.  

Then I make 3 trips to the pasture where the cattle family has a bunch of spoiled hay I'm going to use for heavy mulching as well as store for my composting browns.  The hay is really nutritious for composting and the seeds haven't been nearly the issue we thought they would be.  But hey, FREE is great, I'll deal with a few weeds, lol!

Take care of your body - it's the only one you get Wink
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  joy.cheri 3/24/2016, 12:19 am

Sheesh, you all are making my back hurt! Mine hurts from carrying around my five month old, and my abs still aren't back to where they should be from my c-section. What I need to do is start running again, and then I'll get strong and be able to carry her more and work more! 

I'm going to talk to my husband about the cement mixer. That is a great idea! But how could I get it home? Could it fit in the back of my minivan? I wonder...
joy.cheri
joy.cheri

Back to top Go down

Post  joy.cheri 3/24/2016, 12:28 am

Also, Sanderson, that is a ridiculous amount of work you did. Nuts. Bravo!
joy.cheri
joy.cheri

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2016, 3:03 am

Let your fingers do the walking. Some places have small trailers for the mixer but you would need a hitch. I think the dimensions of a mixer will exceed a minivan. Some places will drop off and pick up a mixer. In that case, you want to be absolutely prepared to max the work for the rental hours. Everything laid out. I found that mixing on a tarp hurt my back, even when my husband tried to help. Even check on Craig's List for a used one.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/24/2016, 12:11 pm

My last batch got mixed up right in the table tops.  I just poured equal 5 gallon buckets of each component into each section (4x8 divided in 4 sections with wood) and mixed gently with a hoe.  Moisten, mix, moisten, mix until it was fully charged and fluffy.  It worked well for me.  I just did 2 sections or so at a session, then did the next when I felt up to it.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 41 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 41  Next