Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 16 of 41 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 6/2/2016, 2:10 am

countrynaturals wrote:Sanderson? Do you have anything in direct sun?
Roses, a few small trees, and dying grass. Very Happy A few beds still need protection when it gets in the 100s. Problem is, sundown is the only comfortable time right now.

Let's don't even talk about a/c. Our bill will top $500 in July and August. affraid
We also had $500+ bills until we had solar installed. CA has horrible rates for electricity.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 6/2/2016, 12:45 pm

sanderson wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Sanderson? Do you have anything in direct sun?
Roses, a few small trees, and dying grass.   Very Happy  A few beds still need protection when it gets in the 100s.  Problem is, sundown is the only comfortable time right now.
Let's don't even talk about a/c. Our bill will top $500 in July and August. affraid
We also had $500+ bills until we had solar installed.  CA has horrible rates for electricity.
Yeah, sundown, when the mosquitoes take over.  Mad

We considered solar, but didn't think it would make enough difference. Maybe we should look at it again. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/3/2016, 1:49 am

A/C quit running this am *deep sigh*  Our trusty repair guy is backed up due to the first heat wave of the season.  Fortunately we were buying the swamp cooler anyway so Steve is out at almost 11 pm cleaning it and getting it ready to be set up tomorrow.  He'll still need to hook up the water in the morning.  It was over 100 today and I don't do well with that kind of heat and no cooler!!!!!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/3/2016, 2:18 am

What an awful time to lose the AC. The swamp cooler should feel great tomorrow as the humidity is low. I always liked the feeling of the air brushing over as it goes out the window.

I got up at 6:10 this morning and got a couple nice hours in. Weeding the brick patio of nasty, sticky weeds. Chopped some more straw. The total coverage of shade cloth off the back patio really helped. I also don't do well in heat.

CN, Yep, forgot about the mosquitoes.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/3/2016, 2:47 am

Interesting thing I've noted this season is that hay hold much more moisture than straw and works much better as mulch.  I have the fortune of having probably 5 or 6 bales that had spoiled from our cattle tenants and all the loose hay under 3 squeezes of hay stack that was 6 - 12 inches on average.  Since it was free I used it and we're pulling the volunteers when they get to about 6 inches and just tossing them right back on top.  Not a big deal.

My 4 x 8's were mulched with 2-3 inches of 1/2 composted hay and cow manure and even in this heat I watered well yesterday morning and it was still very moist this morning so I only watered where seeds had been planted.  

It's NEVER like that with anything else I'm mulch with including wood chips and it's really super easy to pull back an plant in.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/4/2016, 6:24 pm

I did a face-plant over a hose in my sfg this morning, trying to chase a cat that was up on the fence. I was very, very lucky -- could have broken a tooth, cracked a rib, broken my nose, and who knows what else. Luckily, I landed flat and didn't have my camera. All I got were a bunch of bruises and a bloody nose.  Smile Needless to say, that hose is now gone, but I'm sorta housebound, feeling my age and my bumps and bruises, so I'm catching up here and posting pics, since I can't play outside. Rolling Eyes We got some cloud cover this afternoon, so it isn't quite as blistering hot as it could have been. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/4/2016, 7:07 pm

Sorry about the face-plant Countrynaturals. I'm always leaving tools out while I work, but my ever-vigilant wife is quick to point out any garden hazard, before I can get impaled, cut, or wrenched. The only things she misses are the subterranean type hazards created by gophers. I can't tell you how many times I've had a ladder, a work stool, or a poorly planted foot step sink down and dump me over when I least expect it. It's strange that of all the times it's happened, I've never squished a gopher!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/4/2016, 7:08 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I did a face-plant over a hose in my sfg this morning, trying to chase a cat that was up on the fence. I was very, very lucky -- could have broken a tooth, cracked a rib, broken my nose, and who knows what else. Luckily, I landed flat and didn't have my camera. All I got were a bunch of bruises and a bloody nose.  Smile Needless to say, that hose is now gone, but I'm sorta housebound, feeling my age and my bumps and bruises, so I'm catching up here and posting pics, since I can't play outside. Rolling Eyes We got some cloud cover this afternoon, so it isn't quite as blistering hot as it could have been. Cool
OWW. I hate it when stuff like that happens to me. (And I did damage a camera attachment once, by tripping so I understand your relief on that front as well.) I'm really glad you weren't hurt worse, and I hope your bruises and ego heal quickly.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/4/2016, 7:29 pm

Ouch! So glad you are OK and did not get a really bad injury. 
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 10_12_5
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/4/2016, 7:49 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Ouch! So glad you are OK and did not get a really bad injury. 
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 10_12_5
Thanks. I was really badly shaken, but it seems I bounce pretty good for an old gal. pale
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/4/2016, 8:31 pm

By the way, I had my own mishap. I have some canes set up as a temporary grid on one of my beds. Some of the canes overlap the sides of the bed by a few inches. I knelt down to do some work on the veggies in the bed. As I did so my knee struck the end of one of the canes which flipped up and at the same time  flipped up two other canes that were lying across it. They all hit me in the head. I did a quick check to make sure nobody witnessed the incident and then continued to work as I pretended that nothing had happened.  Embarassed
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/4/2016, 8:35 pm

OMG, Trolley! I'm glad you weren't hurt, but what a missed video opportunity. As long as you're okay, that could have been funnier than Sanderson's Beers.  rofl(I just went splat -- nothing funny about it.  Sad)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/4/2016, 10:30 pm

Nobody saw that. Never happened! California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 3170584802 That is so me! WTG, TD Smile
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/5/2016, 2:02 am

Ouch, those garden mishaps! Some are close calls or really hurt, others, well, as TD will attest, embarrassing.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 6/5/2016, 10:29 am

sanderson wrote:
I got up at 6:10 this morning and got a couple nice hours in.  Weeding the brick patio of nasty, sticky weeds.  Chopped some more straw.  

Sanderson:  Where did you get your straw?  Would you believe, in this farming country, I can't find any?  Thanks......
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/5/2016, 11:14 am

I buy mine at an Ag feed store where they carry supplies, bedding and feed for farm critters. I found Tulare Ag & Feed Supply on the internet as an example for you in your area. The wheat bedding straw does have some seed heads but I pick them out when I see one. Otherwise, if they do make it to the beds, the seedlings are easy to pluck out.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 6/5/2016, 11:27 am

I went to Tulare Ag last weekend.  They are a small "critter" feed store with a few garden seeds.  Lots of rabbit & chicken stuff, dog & cat food.  He didn't have any hay or straw.  I have to admit I've been distracted by other stuff & haven't put my back into this.  I'll do that now.  I just read that potatoes (which is why I need the straw) like pine needles.  I'm going to go rake around our pine trees at work.  Maybe that will hold them for awhile.  THANKS for your reply & continued support!
Mellen
Mellen

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/5/2016, 11:36 am

I had to let the computer do the walking to locate a place with a small shed out back with alfalfa hay and wheat bedding straw, sawdust bedding, alfalfa pellets. Thankfully there was one close by in Clovis.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/5/2016, 12:40 pm

I'm still weak and loopy from my vaudeville act yesterday. My ribs hurt when I try to bend over, so I guess I'm housebound again today. Sad At least I can still be productive at the computer. I don't have to resort to anything drastic, like tv. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 6/5/2016, 12:43 pm

Said a prayer for you.  Hope you feel well enough to get back to normal life soon.   Sad
Mellen
Mellen

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/5/2016, 12:48 pm

Thank you, mellen. I hope so, too. Smile
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/5/2016, 3:12 pm

Mellen wrote:  I just read that potatoes (which is why I need the straw) like pine needles.  I'm going to go rake around our pine trees at work.  Maybe that will hold them for awhile.  THANKS for your reply & continued support!

Good to know, Mellen, because I've been loading up mine with pine needles due to lack of anything else. I shall carry on.
What a Face
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/6/2016, 2:47 pm

My garden is really doing well, in spite of the heat. Here are my zukes. These pots are about 18" across. Funny thing -- these are overflow transplants and they're doing better than the one I left where it was planted. I didn't think zucchini liked to be transplanted.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Zukes10

These are Hales melons. They can't wait to crawl out of bed and climb down to freedom.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Melons10

My biggest surprise is kale. I had a bunch of starts that didn't make it into the ground when they should have. I also had an empty space in my sfg where I was gonna let melons roam. Instead of throwing away the kale, I decided to plant it in the empty spot, hoping it would last long enough to get something out of it. Here is one of several little plants that don't seem to mind our triple-digit heat. They've more than doubled in size in the past 2 weeks.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 16 Kale10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/6/2016, 5:17 pm

Kale in this heat! I have some spots I could experiment with. Thanks.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/6/2016, 8:21 pm

sanderson wrote:Kale in this heat!  I have some spots I could experiment with.  Thanks.
I'm thinking the secret is that they have to be babies. I don't think big ones could make it. Maybe the answer is a short season second crop from April thru June. I also think this is a dwarf variety. Maybe that makes a difference, too. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 41 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 41  Next