Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Same Question New Month Toplef10Same Question New Month 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Same Question New Month I22gcj10Same Question New Month 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Same Question New Month Toplef10Same Question New Month 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Same Question New Month I22gcj10Same Question New Month 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Same Question New Month

2 posters

Go down

Same Question New Month Empty Same Question New Month

Post  gettip 4/1/2010, 8:59 am

I asked this question at the beginning of March when it was still cold, since then it has been in the 70's and snowed, typical Ohio weather. The question, I started my seedlings indoors under lamps two weeks ago, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, brussel sprouts, and perennial flowers. Some of them are putting on their second leaves now and some are still sprouting. I have constructed a cold frame that was for the purpose of moving the seedlings to continue their growth. I am concerned that by starting them in the house I will need to harden them off before I make the full transition to the cold frame. It is still 6 weeks before the last frost date in my area, but the temps for this week are in the 70's with 40's at night. Looking for any advice about this transition from home to cold frame with seedlings.
gettip
gettip

Back to top Go down

Same Question New Month Empty Re: Same Question New Month

Post  Lavender Debs 4/1/2010, 10:19 am

Hi get. I've never been west of Montana and I'm told that Pacific gardening is different than yours but MAYBE my dumb answer will get the experienced people going to correct me.

In the PNW the Brussels sprouts and some herbs (parsley, cilantro, and maybe thyme) can start hardening off NOW in a cold frame during the day. After about a week, if they do not seem stressed they can stay the night in the cold frame. In about 2 weeks, if they are not stressed, if the weather is looking good (and if you are so inclined, if the moon is right) you can start planting them out. Late April may be a tad early for these seedlings if started under lights. I don't know when your last frost date is. Cole crops (Brussels) are tough but starting them under lights makes them a little tender. Be ready to cover them with a cloche (a glass or plastic mini green house) if you are going to have frost. Talk to Boffer about his SFG with a cold frame built right on, I think he has pictures.

The tomatoes can go in larger pots with either mel's mix or regular potting soil (instead of starter mix). They can also go into the cold frame on warm days. If they have been growing under lights all this time than they are uber tender. At first they can go out when daytime temps are above 55(ish) but bring them in at night if temps are going to go below 55ish. After 2 or 4 days, if they are not looking stressed (new growth should have a nice green color, stems should be looking for the sun, it is ok if original leaves yellow and fall off) They can start going out when it is as cool as 40 during the day but still need to come in if it is cooler then that at night. In the PNW the tomatoes would be living in the cold frame until about the 2nd week of June. Sometime in May I would start propping open the lid on warm days. I would be watching the inside temp of the cold frame and opening the lid just a couple of inches if it gets above 80 or so.

Where I live, peppers and basil could end up being a do-over, but you might not have the same problem with them where you are. Our summer isn't really summer until about July 10. Dumb luck happens for me. I just cannot start mine that early and still get peppers. I bet someone from Ohio has better ideas for you though.

Deborah ....not sure that helps but maybe it will start the locals answering?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down