Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

+14
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
plantoid
Kelejan
68carguy
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
CapeCoddess
trolleydriver
Marc Iverson
yolos
Zmoore
18 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  jimmy cee 12/9/2015, 9:25 am

i don't have use for cobs because I never have them, when we do corn there is always butter on the so their discarded.
This info is from Rodale again.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Cornco10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  plantoid 12/11/2015, 4:12 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nooooooo!  No way to shred....options?  How do you shred cobs!  These are basically
5 to 8/ week!?  Need advice!

Chop then with an axe into 1" segments and then bash each segment with a decent sized hammer to mash it up .

If you don't have an axe or a saw to cut them up you can  hammer them when they are laid across a bit of heavy concrete or a lump of steel so that they get shredded a bit .

Once they are like that you can add then to the heap as you've increased the surface area available for the bacteria that compost them  and opened up the fibres for water to enter.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/11/2015, 4:22 pm

I am going to try running over them with my car.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/11/2015, 6:34 pm

I doubt that the tyre will be sufficiently rigid enough to crush them as the tyre gives & changes shape to accommodate lumps & bumps on the road . It will be interesting to see your outcomes.he tyre will be sufficiently rigid enought to crush them
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/12/2015, 2:31 pm

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Image12

You were right, plantoid...despite the mighty mass of Detroit lorded over the corn cobs, the tires are just too forgiving...the Crown Vic did smash the cobs a bit, but no crushing like I thought there might be....hammer, here I come! LOL! Worth trying!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/12/2015, 8:29 pm

Can you rent  or borrow a chipper shredder locally? It sounds like a crazy amount of work when a chipper will make short work of them and you could chip up other materials from your yard as well.

I haven't gotten to break my chipper out for a while (hubby had total knee replacement so we're tied up for a while).
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/13/2015, 1:01 am

I tried to compost corn stalks and leaves, but found they take too long, sort of like wood chips take too long for me. Corn, wood chips and peanut shells may just have a heck of a high carbon content for fast composting.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/13/2015, 10:23 am

You know, they are TOUGH! I may run to TSC and price a small chipper. It would be very handy around here.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/13/2015, 9:58 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:You know, they are TOUGH!  I may run to TSC and price a small chipper.  It would be very handy around here.

I picked up this chipper from Amazon last year, used it briefly one time, however last week I pulled it out, set it up and was astounded at how that little gadget works...
I'll strongly endorse it for what it's rated for....certainly nothing big, however with careful feeding it is great.
I must mention, I do not know how an item like a corn cob would do inside. One needs to be able to control the speed of feeding into the chambers.... It needs to chip away at the items and not in big clumps..

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Shredder-ES1600-Electric-Chipper-Shredder/dp/B002U82A3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450061819&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+chipper
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/14/2015, 4:08 am

Much better than the Sun Joe I read about. How fine does it shred leaves? I want fine shred even if I have to run them through twice. I also have a Xylosma tree with 1/2 - 1" straight branches I have to prune. I would love to make mulch with them, but don't want to rent a chipper again. Your comments? Thank you.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/14/2015, 8:08 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am going to try running over them with my car.....
ROFL!!!  That is so awesome!!!  I love it!!!  Sorry it didn't work out, but a valiant effort Smile  Running over stuff is way more fun than the mundane chopping and preparing, too bad it didn't work Smile

Update on my piles, good and bad news.  The "older" pile (left) that I have stopped adding too was cold last week when I turned it, but this week it had a little warmth.  So the flipping stirred it up (added air) and it's "mellowing", perhaps "simmering" would be better to stick with the cooking metaphor.
The "new" pile wasn't as hot as I hoped it would be.  It didn't kick start very well.  I opened it and added 2 gallons of coffee grounds and hand ripped up some hanging and potted plants (mums mostly from wife's fall decorations).  Covered it all back up.  Didn't flip either pile, probably should have, just "stirred" them both a little.    
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 2_pile12

Showing off my camo tarp!!  Ain't she purty!!  After my checking on the piles Saturday morning I scored some coffee grounds from Starbucks.  Saving them for next weekend to add to new pile.  Also got 3 dozen egg shells!  woohoo.  Next weekend plan to add some more horse manure and leaves plus the other stuff I'm saving to hopefully "bulk" it up some more and give it a jolt of greens to get it cooking good.  
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 2_pile13

I was just out minding my own business at Tractor Supply, snooping around for a new pair of pruning shears, which lead to buying some "herb scissors" also (looked like they would be the ticket for shredding some of the grasses and plants I add to the compost pile).  Anyway, then stumbled on compost below, looked like a good price to me.  I put them in the back of my truck (Yes, I paid for them)
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Humus-10

Also found Peat Moss at a decent price.  Put some of that in back of my truck too.  Now all I have to do is find Verticumilite...Verticulite?...Veeeerstuff.  Winter project is to build 2 more 4x4 boxes, need MM ingredients for next year.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Peat_m10
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/14/2015, 9:05 am

sanderson wrote:Much better than the Sun Joe I read about.  How fine does it shred leaves?  I want fine shred even if I have to run them through twice.  I also have a Xylosma tree with 1/2 - 1" straight branches I have to prune.  I would love to make mulch with them, but don't want to rent a chipper again.  Your comments?  Thank you.

leaves ?  I did add dry leaves with brush, it work nicely because there were items being pushed through.
Leaves alone ? I kind of doubt it, however I'll try some for you. That won't be till next spring or summer when I open up my bags.
I can tell you what I use for leaf shredding and I am very satisfied.
Not wanting any more toys, I tried a weed trimmer and large garbage can, stacked leaves in the can, then used whacker at different angles. I pulled out the tops of what was shredded as I went down.
This action at least keeps the leaves from matting together in my compost..
I have a Black & Decker battery operated whacker, 2 batteries works nicely for me..
SAFETY  glasses is a must
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/14/2015, 11:45 am

I have a Harbor Freight gas powered shredder.  I bought it back in 2011 when Harbor Freight opened a store in our area.  Got it relatively cheap considering what it can do.  It will chip small branches also.  The one thing it is not good for is shredding wet material.  That clogs up the mechanisms and you have to remove about 10 screws to get into the shredder to unclog it.  

I also have a gas powered Stihl weed wacker.  It is super high powered.  I tried doing the garbage can trick this last weekend.  The shredded material flew all over the place (I guess I had it powered up too high).  I also have a much lighter weight Black and Decker battery weed wacker and will have to try that next.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/14/2015, 4:00 pm

yolos wrote:I have a Harbor Freight gas powered shredder.  I bought it back in 2011 when Harbor Freight opened a store in our area.  Got it relatively cheap considering what it can do.  It will chip small branches also.  The one thing it is not good for is shredding wet material.  That clogs up the mechanisms and you have to remove about 10 screws to get into the shredder to unclog it.  

I also have a gas powered Stihl weed wacker.  It is super high powered.  I tried doing the garbage can trick this last weekend.  The shredded material flew all over the place (I guess I had it powered up too high).  I also have a much lighter weight Black and Decker battery weed wacker and will have to try that next.
 once you get the hang of it, very little flys out. In the beginning I used a lid to cover the can, after a bit I found I did not need it.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/14/2015, 6:43 pm

Zmore ,
 Put a photo of the bag that shows the contents blurb list.
 I ask be cause if it is a decent content others can  head for the same stuff.

Often most of the store purchased composts are way too one sided or totally deficient of sensible materials .

" Organic humus & manure " seems a really dumbed down bit of eye candy if the name alone is anything to go by.

If you dig deep into composting  101 threads  you'll discover  some not so nice things about such store  purchased stuff .  WRT.  Far too much un-composted wood content and also the source of where it comes from such as local amenity waste collection points  where it can have all manner of crud in it that's not much good for your garden .

Before you use the compost as an ingredient in you MM , mix a handful with a handful of peat and water it then try sowing some radish & 24 hr water soaked pea seeds  in a filled small plant pot. Put it inside a zip lock bag and keep it in a warm dark place for four or five days  .
Growing them on in the warm place . Check every other day for eight days or so If they germinate and produce  the start of a plant all is well and good with the purchased compost .

Five or six years ago  I myself purchased half a dozen or so bags of a similar advertised product  ,,,, I  found out too late that it was mainly visible white fibres of wood pulp with  a couple of dozen horse cobbles and possibly diluted or liquefied stable muck.  It smelt strongly of ammonia which is a fair indication of things with dungs not being a fully finished compost .

Being of short arms and deep pockets I decided to make the MM using it as I was spring garden crazy to get it up & running as a permanent onion bed . My onions bed idea was a disaster ,
I managed to grow leeks and garlic in the bed  after  the onions  all ran amok and bolted before they'd even started to form bulbs though quite a lot of the garlics gave forth th flower stems as well but they were good eating so that angle didn't concern me too much  ,

Basically it killed the only ANSFG bed it was put in for about 15 months , by end of that time I had my own home made compost system up & running , I've had decent onions ever since .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/14/2015, 8:48 pm

Diggin the camo tarp, Zmoore! lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/14/2015, 8:50 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:You know, they are TOUGH!  I may run to TSC and price a small chipper.  It would be very handy around here.

I picked up this chipper from Amazon last year, used it briefly one time, however last week I pulled it out, set it up and was astounded at how that little gadget works...
I'll strongly endorse it for what it's rated for....certainly nothing big, however with careful feeding it is great.
I must mention, I do not know how an item like a corn cob would do inside. One needs to be able to control the speed of feeding into the chambers.... It needs to chip away at the items and not in big clumps..

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Shredder-ES1600-Electric-Chipper-Shredder/dp/B002U82A3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450061819&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+chipper

Thanks for the link, Jimmy! I asked a question to the Amazon community regarding the cobs.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/15/2015, 11:59 am

I purchased a chipper from Amazon this time last year ..it won't chip soft green matter , this simply clogs things up and is a right PIA to clear out.  But it will chip dried & fresh cut sticks up to 35 mm in diameter ( so long as it goes down the feed hole)

You have to initially set the chipper up so that he mill /gripping wheel is just scraping the sacrificial anvil . once it done you can put all fresh cut and plenty of dry branch parts through it
I ran all the cuttings from a length of 60 or so feet of Cypress Leylandi boundary hedge pruning s .. Many of which came off five inch thick  tree de-toppings , that brought the trees down 12 feet or more back to 12 feet tall .
  This only took me about four hours of continuous work & gave me some thing like 15 heavy rubble sacks of stuf for the composting
I reckon that it would munch through the cobs like a hot knife through warm butter .  You'd have to feed them in one or two at a time to ensure you don't jam it solid.

My model is the
Bosch AXT 25 D Quiet Shredder

There are cheaper look-a -likes around for less than half of what I paid , possibly made in the same factory .

I intend getting a spare sacrificial anvil plate in the near future so I'm not left with an obsolete shredded in five years time
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/15/2015, 6:19 pm

From what I read on Amazon on the reviews of the one Jimmy has, the stuff MUST BE DRY. Or else it bunks up the apparatus. The commenters responded to my question about corn cobs saying mostly, yes, it could definitely handle them if they are dry. Must a chipper/shredder requirement.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/15/2015, 11:17 pm

Remember, my chipper is an electric.
They are 2 completely different animals there.
Gas powered will go through items that plug up an electric chipper. + they take larger objects, my electric was purchased mainly for brush and small twigs up to about 3/4 inch..
Details indicate 1 3/8th inch diameter, I dont think I would do much over 3/4"
As I mentioned before, for it's intended use, a tool worth having if needed.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2015, 12:05 am

plantoid wrote:I purchased a chipper from Amazon this time last year. . .
ran all the cuttings from a length of 60 or so feet of Cypress Leylandi boundary hedge pruning s .. .  This only took me about four hours of continuous work & gave me some thing like 15 heavy rubble sacks of stuff for the composting.
Plantoid,  I don't know what to say!  Shocked  Did the surgery improve you so much that you could do all of that work??  If so, Yippee bounce

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/16/2015, 8:06 am

jimmy cee wrote:Remember, my chipper is an electric.
They are 2 completely different animals there.
Gas powered will go through items that plug up an electric chipper. + they take larger objects, my electric was purchased mainly for brush and small twigs up to about 3/4 inch..
Details indicate 1 3/8th inch diameter, I dont think I would do much over 3/4"
As I mentioned before, for it's intended use, a tool worth having if needed.

Yep, I get it, Jimmy. I cannot handle a lot of gas powered tools, mostly the starting of them if they have a pull cord. And I don't need anything more than grinding stuff into composting material. Love my Black & Decker cordless weed whacker! Runs on a 20 v battery!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/16/2015, 2:18 pm

I think this may be the hottest I have ever gotten a pile.  About 152-153.  I am a super hottie.  I think the difference this time is I used some Alfalfa Pellets and coffee grounds as my greens.  I ran out of other greens and wanted to get the pile cooking so I bought a bag of Alfalfa Pellets.  Kind of defeats the purpose of free compost but just about every green is gone now except what I have currently growing.  I wanted to get the pile filled and on its way to making compost.  I do not have access to any manure at this time and without manure I have never been able to get it real hot.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 8 Compos12
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/16/2015, 2:30 pm

@yolos

SMOKIN!!! Smile

(it's sounds funny in my head, I swear)
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2015, 3:08 pm

Fantastic! I only have about seven 5-gallon buckets of horse manure and one bucket of coffee grounds so I am supplementing with alfalfa hay, especially the leaves that shake out of each flake. When did you build the pile? I find after I turn it on the 4th day, the temps really take off. Back to building the pile!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next