Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

+14
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
plantoid
Kelejan
68carguy
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
CapeCoddess
trolleydriver
Marc Iverson
yolos
Zmoore
18 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  CapeCoddess 1/22/2016, 12:23 pm

I'm with ya, folks. Yesterday I had to chop a hole in my pile with a spade to make a deposit. Then put the frozen block right back on top of all the goodies. Like Audrey says, it'll all come together in the spring. Not sure how much snow we're getting here yet...we're right on the edge of this thing & it keeps waffling.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  Kelejan 1/22/2016, 4:46 pm

Zmoore wrote:You are all cordially invited to services being held for my deceased compost piles.
They passed away this week after a valiant fight against sub-freezing temperatures.  They will be buried this weekend under a predicted 2' of snow.   affraid 

- - -

I refuse to give up on you and your compost pile, Zmoore.  I predict that it will rise from the "dead" as I believe it is not dead, just resting.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/22/2016, 6:28 pm

I have never had a pile die....they just go dormant I think! Lol! In spring, the little buggers come out of hibernation and do their thing!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/23/2016, 1:20 am

Here's an older post regarding compost piles in the winter. Sounds like they "hibernate" like the rest of nature. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9232-how-do-you-handle-winter-composting-like-in-snow?highlight=snow

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 1/25/2016, 8:59 am

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Snowed10
Rest in peace  Wink
Picture from Saturday.  Tumbler on far left, then screener, then a big hump which is both my compost piles side by side (keep each other warm? not), then last little hump is my stock pile.  
You can see the tops of 3 stakes in my yard leading out to the piles.  That's were I was planning on consolidating my garden boxes too, that project has been moved back due to budgeting.  Anyway, by the time it was over you could not see the stakes anymore.  Got about 17" total of snow.  Be awhile before I can even go out and stir the piles back up.  
Off to read Sanderson's "hibernating" post.  Hopefully they'll "wake back up" in time to finish before spring.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2016, 1:29 pm

Thank you for the wonderful snow photo. I love them since I don't get snow.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/25/2016, 6:47 pm

That is a lot of snow! Pretty....unless you have to go somewhere, Lol! Your piles are just sleeping! They like the snow, nice blanky....nighty night!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/25/2016, 10:25 pm

Sanderson here's one for you
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Winter10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/26/2016, 2:18 am

Can you post this under Holy Snow Batman! ?? That way they will be all together. I'm fascinated where the earth slumbers, getting ready for outstanding spring-summer plant life. Thanks

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/28/2016, 12:45 am

I had to dump the kitchen waste into my tumbler today and it's full of worms!  Best I can figure, I think I grabbed a few pitchforks of browns out of my active compost pile and mixed it in with the nitrogen rich kitchen waste.  They must have had worms and or worm eggs in them.  

It's working fine since my tumbler isn't heating much.  There is some steam when I open it up but it's not hot to the touch, so the worms are at work inside of there, lol!  That should be some good stuff when spring rolls around  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/28/2016, 8:48 am

MY tumbler never gets / got hot, does get warm to the touch and steamy under the right conditions.
I fill it with kitchen waste during winter, then in spring sometime transfer it to the larger piles outside.
Still, gives me a connection with the yard in winter.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Compos11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/28/2016, 9:05 am

NICE, Audrey.Jeanne!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/28/2016, 11:00 am

AJ, What a nice bonus!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 2/8/2016, 12:52 pm

Winter Compost experiment update.

Finally got to see my piles again after about 2-3 weeks due to snow.  I missed them in a silly sort of way or missed "playing" in them.
"hump" on the left is older pile, over 3 months now, hump on the right is newer pile, over 2 months now.
 To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Both_p10

Temperature check, not good.  The thermometer is in the "new" pile at about 2 months and I'd like a little more warmth in that one at this point.  Down to about 50, which admittedly is warmer than the ambient temperature of about 35 degrees at time of "flipping".
 To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Temper10

Flipped the piles to stir them up and hopefully get some air into them that may help with decomposition.  Took this picture after flipping the old pile.  Material is looking really nice, smells good, moisture is good, definitely a good portion of usable compost in that pile.  Still have a couple months for it to sit, so I think I'll get some good stuff out of that one.  New pile... little chunkier still, not sure it will make it, but I think it can be ready in 2 more months as well.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 11 Old_pi13
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2016, 1:01 pm

When you need to start using it, sift what you want and return the chunkier bits to to pile or to start a new pile.  There will be enough microbes and such to give it a good start.

I reckon some of my Chunkies have had several reincarnations, getting smaller each time and doing their bit for each new pile.

I used to use a quarter inch mesh to sieve, then I changed that to using a one-inch mesh or half-inch mesh and it all went through much more quickly.  If I needed some finer stuff for seed starting, then I used the quarter-inch.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/12/2016, 8:53 pm

Interesting read for those of us in the Frozen state!

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/how-can-you-keep-compost-cooking-when-its-cold-out/you_bet_your_garden

study
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/13/2016, 8:16 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Interesting read for those of us in the Frozen state!

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/how-can-you-keep-compost-cooking-when-its-cold-out/you_bet_your_garden

study
As a lazy composter I can attest to the great job these guys do, along with the foxes:
"Super-hot crab, shrimp or lobster waste would work even better; but you'd have local cats and raccoons turning your pile for you. "

And I love the idea of using concrete reinforcement wire for tomato cages and then later for compost during the winter. I just can't figure out how to get the wire from the store to my house on the cheap. My little Prius just won't do it.

Great article, SR.  Thanks for sharing it.
Very Happy

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/13/2016, 8:24 am

Yeah, I am a lazy composter too, I have a straight up pile, no sides. CC, I thought of you hauling buckets of seaweed home when I read that! Lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/13/2016, 10:10 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yeah, I am a lazy composter too, I have a straight up pile, no sides.  CC, I thought of you hauling buckets of seaweed home when I read that! Lol!
Yup, I bring home lots of shells, a few skate eggs and horseshoe crab shells with each load. And when the summer neighbors come every year they all seem to have to have numerous lobster parties. I've trained them to save all the leftover lobster and clam shells, along with all the rest of the leftovers from the parties, for my compost pile. It's wonderful!
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/13/2016, 11:24 am

Question:
Two of my grandkids have a pair of pet guinea pigs. Can I use the dirty bedding from their cage in the compost pile? Mrs TD says no way.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/13/2016, 2:52 pm

Of course you can, TD. No different from rabbit I would think.

Really, it is not "dirty", just ready to be added to your pile.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/13/2016, 5:22 pm

TD, yes, poo from any non meat eater is OK for the most part!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/13/2016, 5:32 pm

Do guinea pigs eat meat? I thought they were vegetarian.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/13/2016, 8:05 pm

KJ ... They are strictly vegetarian except when they decide to take a nip out of a finger when you are holding them.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/14/2016, 12:55 pm

trolleydriver wrote:KJ ... They are strictly vegetarian except when they decide to take a nip out of a finger when you are holding them.

That takes care of the blood-meal requirements then.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next