Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

+14
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
plantoid
Kelejan
68carguy
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
CapeCoddess
trolleydriver
Marc Iverson
yolos
Zmoore
18 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  sanderson 11/19/2015, 3:04 pm

Fresno (at least they used to) rotates chlorination among the city wells. Also, when work is done to a line.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/19/2015, 5:52 pm

Makes sense Zmoore.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 11/23/2015, 8:02 am

If you guys(sanderson, scorpio, monitors) get tired of my "updates" just say so.  Not a problem to stop... (wait, that's what addicts say isn't it?).
Anyway, 1 month mark.  Outside temperatures dropped this weekend, it was "crisp" saturday morning when I went out to turn and add more stuff.  Pile temperature seemed "cooler" to me, but due to the "delta" in air and pile a lot of "steam" was coming out.  I finally got a picture where you can see the steam coming off the top of the pile and this was before I dug into it.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Pile_s10

So, I flipped about half the pile over and then added more material.  I'm really going against the grain here a little and definitely playing with my pile.  I should stop adding and just let this finish, BUT I don;t really need it until April, so... why not just keep playing with it.  Also, Sanderson recommended that I reduce amount of sawdust I've been adding with the horse manure because sawdust (being woody) takes longer to break down.  Then I'm talking with a friend who has a wood shop and does a lot of his own milling and planing and has lots of clean sawdust as a by-product.... well, gotta try that right?  So, I added a little "kitchen" stuff, grapes, egg sheels, apples, didn't have much and then layered over it with a bag of sawdust.  I didn't want to add water because that will cool my pile down, but the sawdust was bone dry, so I wet it, amazing how much water it can absorb.  Then finished flipping the pile. 
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Pile_m10

After I was done, covered it back up with my CAMO tarp, how cool is that Smile  (shout out to Yolos again Smile ).  Yes, on the left hand side of the photo near the top is my "helper", one of our cats or the rear end of him anyway.  Sitting on my screener.    
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 5 Pile_c10

Side note.  Later that day I went to help my daughters Girl Scout troop at a "Skills Day" event.  My daughter was helping to run the "knife safety" station and as part of that station the girls were practicing cutting/shaving potatoes and bananas (with plastic knives Smile ).  Anyway, My daughter came up with the idea to save all the potato and banana bits for me.  On her own, I didn't ask.  I thought that was sweet of her.  So, I have those to add next week Smile
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/23/2015, 9:23 am

Awww...  What a great daughter, ZMoore!

("addict"....  snicker!  We can stop any time we want to!  That's my story & I'm stickin' to it...  I just don't want to stop!)

What is the plastic tube sticking out of the pile?  Is it to let excess water drain?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 11/23/2015, 10:11 am

I love playing in my compost piles too....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 11/23/2015, 10:57 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:What is the plastic tube sticking out of the pile?  Is it to let excess water drain?

Ahh, well um... you see.  Ventilation?  I got the basic idea from to Rodale composting book.  The idea is if you insert some perforated tubing through your pile the natural heat convection of the pile (warm air rising) will draw outside air into tubes/pile and the need for turning is negated.  The pile can get air that way.
That's my feeble attempt at playing with the idea.  I had some 4" pvc drain tile laying around, I grabbed it and laid it out and then put my pile over it.  Theoretically, air can be drawn in and into the bottom center of my pile.  
To really try it out I need some more tubing and have it more distributed through the pile, one at bottom center not really enough methinks.  I'm just playing with it and have been watching it see if warm air from center travels back up the pipe and vents out the end and may be visible over the winter as "steam" coming out of the pipe.  Haven't seen that yet.
The future "plan" is to get some more piping, maybe a little smaller even, and try 3 pipes along the bottom spaced 12-18", cover that to 6-12", then lay 2 more pipes spaced off center, cover that, then 1 more pipe and then cover that.  Kind of a triangle shape of vent pipes in center of pile.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/23/2015, 2:53 pm

Kids play with sand piles, we play with compost piles! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/23/2015, 6:14 pm

Sometimes especially in summer I will put a few sticks into the pile to aerate it a bit.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/24/2015, 8:26 am

Okay, ZMoore...  I get it.  That's really a great idea!

My pile is mostly greens & very slow, but I am building it up.  (Not in a hurry - can you tell?)  But I think I'll dig around in the shed & see what I can find.  I want to build a real compost area.  I could use pvc with holes drilled into it and set them at various heights to do the same thing.....

I really would like to speed up the process & make it better.....

thinking     thinking     thinking     thinking
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/24/2015, 11:41 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Okay, ZMoore...  I get it.  That's really a great idea!

My pile is mostly greens & very slow, but I am building it up.  (Not in a hurry - can you tell?)  But I think I'll dig around in the shed & see what I can find.  I want to build a real compost area.  I could use pvc with holes drilled into it and set them at various heights to do the same thing.....

I really would like to speed up the process & make it better.....

thinking     thinking     thinking     thinking
AM - that reminds me of one experiment I did with my compost pile that failed miserably.  I got 1 inch PVC pipe and drilled lots of holes in the PVC.  Then in a 4 x 4 pile I laid three pipes spaced evenly horizontally across the pile about a foot off the ground and then another set of three about 1.5 feet above these. I made the pipes long enough so they would stick out on each side of the pile. Then I bought some caps so that when it turned cold I could cap the pipes to keep the cold air out of the inside of the pile.

The ants thanked my for providing them with a nice easy highway into my pile so they could get to the food scraps buried in the pile.  That was the last time I put the pipes in horizontally.  The next year I tried them vertically and again the ants thanked me for the highway into my pile.  So now I just do what I can with turning occasionally and sticking a long Concrete tie rod into the pile and wiggling it around.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/24/2015, 4:28 pm

Mindreader!  That's exactly what I was thinking I'd do!!!

Thanks for the warning, Yolos....  Guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/24/2015, 4:46 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Mindreader!  That's exactly what I was thinking I'd do!!!

Thanks for the warning, Yolos....  Guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way....
If you don't have a problem with ants it should work.  But we have ant hills all over the place and it is a struggle to keep them out of the garden.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/24/2015, 8:59 pm

I remember your ant battle  Shocked

We are fighting fire ants IN OUR HOUSE... *deep sigh*  They are everywhere.  It's insane.  We're going to have to call in a professional to win this one I think.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/26/2015, 7:55 am

You TOO, Audrey Jeanne?  

We found thousands of them by our back door & inside one of our classrooms.  We finally seem to have got rid of them, but what a battle!  I've got ant baits all over the downstairs & made sure to spray around that door & beyond.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/26/2015, 8:28 am

Have you tried the "baking soda mixed and powdered sugar" ant destroyer?

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ants
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/26/2015, 9:31 am

trolleydriver wrote:Have you tried the "baking soda mixed and powdered sugar" ant destroyer?

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ants
I have tried many of the suggestions listed in this article.  The last time I went ant hunting, there were 7 ant hills in the back yard.  I looked over at the neighbors field and they had 12 ant hills.  All over the place.  Your article was the most comprehensive I have seen.  But this is the method that gave me a chuckle.

Smash the ants. When all else fails, you can always squash the ants with a shoe, old magazine, or fly-swatter.

They say that if you keep the pile moist enough the ants won't be in the pile.  But with the PVC highways leading into the pile, the moisture of the pile does not effect the entry of the ants.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/26/2015, 3:48 pm

Red ants, fire ants, RIFA - I would hate to have to battle painful ants. I just have the highly nuisance Argentine.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/27/2015, 8:45 am

yolos wrote:

I have tried many of the suggestions listed in this article.  The last time I went ant hunting, there were 7 ant hills in the back yard.  I looked over at the neighbors field and they had 12 ant hills.  All over the place.  

Same here.  It's been a terrible year for them.  We've got 1/3 acre & must have 50 hills scattered around.  Our neighbors aren't any better.

One good reason to mow the yard...  Scatter the little buggers to the wind & make them VERY unhappy!   Twisted Evil
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 11/27/2015, 8:33 pm

In my opinion there is only one way to rid yourself of these pests,
Get rid of the entire colony colonies.
And that may be done by extensive research into the pests.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/28/2015, 8:42 am

I agree, Jimmy.  Unfortunately, for large areas, everything goes back to chemicals I don't want in my yard...  At least everything I've found...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/28/2015, 9:24 am

Too bad you can't rent an anteater.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/28/2015, 2:25 pm

funny post  

I agree, Scorpio!  That would make life easy...  for both me AND the anteater!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/28/2015, 4:28 pm

Does anyone compost their raspberry canes? I won't compost rose clippings - they bite no matter how old the are - but the raspberry canes don't seem as threatening to the hands later on down the line.
H
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/28/2015, 5:43 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Too bad you can't rent an anteater.....
There's an empty business niche! You know, like Rent-a-Goat.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/29/2015, 8:13 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Does anyone compost their raspberry canes? I won't compost rose clippings - they bite no matter how old the are - but the raspberry canes don't seem as threatening to the hands later on down the line.
H
I've HEARD you shouldn't compost raspberry canes due to diseases they may carry.

Who is it that has the 200 raspberry bushes?  Haven't seen her in a WHILE!   thinking  She would be the one to ask!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next