Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Toplef10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 I22gcj10To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

+14
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
plantoid
Kelejan
68carguy
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
CapeCoddess
trolleydriver
Marc Iverson
yolos
Zmoore
18 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  yolos 12/16/2015, 4:57 pm

sanderson wrote:Fantastic!  I only have about seven 5-gallon buckets of horse manure and one bucket of coffee grounds so I am supplementing with alfalfa hay, especially the leaves that shake out of each flake.  When did you build the pile?  I find after I turn it on the 4th day, the temps really take off.  Back to building the pile!
I started building the pile in mid October and it has pretty much just been sitting there slowly decomposing as I continually added to the pile.  I turned it on Sunday. I mixed in lots of new shredded leaves and some miscellaneous green matter including alfalfa pellets and coffee grounds.  As I turned it I also added water to bring it back to moist.  So about half the pile is, alfalfa pellets and coffee grounds and leaves.  The other half of the pile is partly broken down stuff added in Oct and Nov.  I finished the pile Sunday evening.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Empty Re: To Compost or not to Compost that is the question...

Post  jimmy cee 12/16/2015, 5:41 pm

WAY TO GOOOOOOOOOO
Reminds me I have a pile that needs to be cookin, off to the stables tomorrow...
15 five  gallon buckets of horse manure in the back of my wife's new Toyota, (well 2 years old ) is new to us..
Having lots of tarps and covers on keeps it clean as long as I don't have to stop abruptly...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/18/2015, 9:58 am

sanderson wrote:
plantoid wrote:I purchased a chipper from Amazon this time last year. . .
ran all the cuttings from a length of 60 or so feet of Cypress Leylandi boundary hedge pruning s .. .  This only took me about four hours of continuous work & gave me some thing like 15 heavy rubble sacks of stuff for the composting.
Plantoid,  I don't know what to say!  Shocked  Did the surgery improve you so much that you could do all of that work??  If so, Yippee bounce

Yes it's kind of helped especially as I was almost totally bed bound for the last few weeks prior to the urgent surgery .

I had to use one of the geriatrics long picking arm things to get hold of the tips of branches . \then gently walk them over to a table top where I was able to use long handled branch loppers to take off the branches that were about 1.5 inches or less in dia .  From then on it was a case of feed the branch in if at all possible or cut it up smaller till I could get teh material innthe shredder. Getting a full collector box off the machine was too much so I ended up only filling ot a line of duct tape that was stuck on at about 2/5 of the boxes volume .
 One massive benefit of the surgery is that I can take a full lungful of air again,  prior to the operation I was at about 1/3 of lung capacity and not doing very well at all .
 I still have lots of problems s wrt my spine but life is definitely much easier and better .

Composting big time can now be restarted ........ slowly but surely .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2015, 1:34 pm

Plantoid, I am so, so happy for you. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/18/2015, 2:14 pm

Me too!!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/18/2015, 5:47 pm

Me 3, you have to feel sooooo much better with your lung capacity improved! Good for you, plantoid!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/18/2015, 11:39 pm

Air is just "slightly" important to living life!!!  Oh my... what a blessing that you're getting a new lease on life and in time to get ready for the next gardening season as well.

Blessings to you friend!
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/19/2015, 8:27 am

Plantoid...... cheers
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Empty "Garden"ography

Post  Zmoore 12/21/2015, 8:10 am

Here's my baby..
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Echo_s10

Full frontal.  
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Echo_s11

Attributes.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Echo_s12

Since there was discussion on equipment and such, thought I'd share mine.  I THINK someone else already mentioned an Echo shredder/blower, that's what this is.  NOT to be confused with an actual shredder as being discussed by plantoid and others.  It says "Shred N' Vac" on the vacuum tube, but I think more accurately it's a "blower/vac".  You can switch the machine between blower and vacuum operations.  Technically it may shred the leaves it picks up, but leaves, grass, and straw are about the limit for feeding it.  It will not take branches or sticks of any size like an actual shredder.  It wouldn't do corn cobs either Scorpio Smile  I haven't tried, but I'm fairly certain corn cobs wouldn't pass through, they'd just go to the top of the tube and bang around, make a racket, and clog things up.    
Anyway, for what I use it for it's fine.  I think it does a nice job chopping up leaves straw and grass.  If you're really particular (sanderson Smile) you could run the material through twice and then I think you'd definitely have a fine material.  I'm o.k. with once through, probably because I was using whole leaves and loose straw mostly, once through is a big improvement over none at all.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/21/2015, 8:17 am

I'm thinking that running leaves through anything that changes their form, from a flat leaf to any size crumpled up item is good.All one needs to do is keep the leaves from matting together. They are thin enough to compost rather quickly..
I bet your machine does nicely Zmoore.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/21/2015, 9:00 am

Microgreens?
So, I uncover my piles (remove tarp) and I find this perched right on top of my "old" pile.  I guess I'm microgreen farming now Smile  Not sure what type of plant it is.  I couldn't find an identifiable seed at the root.  I did find another "microgreen" coming right out of a "horse puck". so I'm guessing some sort of grain plant. 
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Microg11

Two Piles turned.
I didn't do a good job of taking pictures during the process of turning my pile this time.  This is after I'm done.  "Older" pile on the left I just turned, no adding.  It had some warmth in it, which is about all I want for it right now.  "Newer" pile on the right I opened up and it was warmer, but I'd like a little more out of it at this stage.  So, I added about 5 more buckets of leaves, 5 more buckets of horse manure, a little more than a bucket of coffee grounds, and some misc. stuff like egg shells and apples.  I put most of the new stuff in the middle, mixed it up a little and then generally just mixed and turned rest of the pile.  OH!  I rearranged my "air tube" so that it turns up through the top of the pile.  I still want to see "steam" coming out of that like a "choo-choo" train Smile
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 2_pile15

Two piles closer.
Another picture of the two piles, different angle and closer.  You can see the difference in the color/stage between the two piles.  Kinda cool.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Two_pi11

Old Pile 7-8 weeks.
"Close up" of the old pile.  Because I'm doing "cold" piles and continuing adding along the "age" of the pile is kind of variable.  I started this pile about 8 weeks ago less than full mass (cubic yard goal), had pretty close to full mass the next week, continued to add.  It's about 2 weeks of no more new stuff added, just letting it do it's thing and hoping it will maintain at least some warmth for a little longer.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Old_pi11

New Pile 1-2 weeks.
Almost at full mass for this pile.  Added some more stuff.  Current "calculator" puts me at about 29 for this pile. Since this is a new pile I want it to really heat up for awhile.  It was warm, but I wanted more heat, so I hopefully jolted it with a heavy load of coffee and manure (greens).  I've found big amounts of coffee seem to really boost the temperature, plus worms love it.    
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 New_pi11
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/22/2015, 10:29 pm

Nice, Zmoore!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/23/2015, 12:27 am

#1 is looking good.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/23/2015, 8:22 am

They look great, ZMoore!

What is the tilted table you have there?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Empty Warped

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/23/2015, 8:56 am

I asked for a bale of straw for Christmas.....not proud....told kids they did NOT have to wrap it. santa
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/23/2015, 11:46 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:They look great, ZMoore!

What is the tilted table you have there?
That's my compost screener.  I used 1/2 in wire mesh, I've seen some recommendations for 1/4", but works for me.  Had some scrap lumber around, instead of building a flat box to place over a wheel barrow or something I decided to make a sloped "table".  I throw a couple forks of compost on top and then work it back and forth a little with the fork, kind of push it around on the table like a kid that doesn't want t eat his veggies.  Once it's mostly bulky stuff left on top I just rake it off the bottom end and repeat process.  Once done, good stuff under the table, stuff to "recycle" back into the compost pile off the bottom end of table.  
It takes a little work, but that's the concept.  I think it was "Boffer" that has a sweet mechanized screener that basically works by turning a wire mesh cage.  "Daddy want dat".  Until I get the resources and time put together I'll just use my table.
Because I do more of a "cold pile" and continually add to my pile (sanderson is doing her best to break me of that) a screener is nice so I can pull some good stuff from my piles that will generally contain stuff from "new" to "months old".  There's an inherit risk with that... never mind, I "talk" too much.  It's a screener.
@Scorpio hope you get your Christmas present Smile  I almost went out and spent money on straw specifically for my compost pile, but around here it's about $8 a bale.  Grrrr, I'm not trying to make LITERAL "black gold".  My straw supply usually comes in early spring, late winter via rabbit bedding and cover on my beds (i.e. strawberries and such).  However, I REALLY would have liked another bulky "brown" besides leaves to put on the pile I started last fall, but "beggars can't be choosers" as they say.  Wish I would have thought of putting straw on my Christmas list.  OH!  I did put a thermometer and a compost ... bin?  Tumbler!!  that's it, I put a tumbler on my Christmas list.  

By the way Merry Christmas everybody!!!  Have a good one!
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/23/2015, 2:03 pm

A thermometer! Good gift for any method of composting.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/23/2015, 6:52 pm

Z more,

Sometimes you can score wet bales or damaged broken ones from feed stores   on rarer occasions from farmers for a fraction of the price of a quality bale

That rabbit muck & urine wetted bedding is a fantastic ingredient for your heap . Same goes for such bedding consisting mainly of wood shavings but these need a bit longer to compost .

Neat rabbit muck pellets can go straight on / into  your beds as the don't "  burn " the plants .

Yes I second the idea that continually adding to your heap & screening it so you get a mix of finished and fresh material is not a very good idea indeed .
You are likely to end up with all manner of diseases and pests  right where you want to grow your crops .

Laughing Add the cessation of such a practice to your New years resolution list perhaps & enjoy the immense benefits i  Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/26/2015, 2:16 pm

Yeah!!  I got a thermometer for Christmas!
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Thermo11

Booo! I did not like the result.  That's in my "new pile", the one I socked with manure and coffee grounds last week and it's barely in the "steady zone".  I was really expecting temperatures 100 plus.  Oh well, it's working, just not as intensely as I wanted for a new pile.  
Old pile was even a little less, right on the line of about 80%.  

Anyway, flipped both piles today.  No pictures.  I added some misc. stuff to the new pile, little coffee, shrimp peels, egg sheels, potato skins, pistachio nut shells, and banana peels.  I flipped them so that when I was done both piles were side by side and I could get both fully under cover of tarp.  This is like third day of rain for my area.  Good light soaking rain mostly, but park of my old pile got soaked pretty good.  

OH!  I also got a Compost Tumbler!  5 c.f. total, 2.5 c.f. per side (it's partitioned).  I probably won't play with that until spring because eventually it's supposed to get cold around here and I don't see how I could keep that tumbler from freezing complete through with just 2.5 c.f. of material per batch, BUT I have one now and I look forward to playing with it. 

I also got a kitchen compost pale.  Now I have a pale under the sink and don't have to go out into garage a put stuff in 5 gal. bucket every time I snag a handful of stuff from the refuse flow.  Hoping it will help increase supply from home kitchen.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/26/2015, 3:48 pm

Zmoore wrote:Yeah!!  I got a thermometer for Christmas!

Booo! I did not like the result.  That's in my "new pile", the one I socked with manure and coffee grounds last week and it's barely in the "steady zone".  I was really expecting temperatures 100 plus.  Oh well, it's working, just not as intensely as I wanted for a new pile.  
Old pile was even a little less, right on the line of about 80%.  

Don't give up on the gauge. It may be out of calibration, try finding a source of heat that you know what temp is, then compare that gauge.   Pressure and temp gauges can go out of calibration rather easily. I stopped using gauges and now use a steel rod inserted in my pile for a few moments, pull it out and feel it. It's cold, warm or hot.
If it's out of calibration you may be able to turn the face plate or remove the glass, then make an adjustment with a tiny screw.

OH!  I also got a Compost Tumbler!  5 c.f. total, 2.5 c.f. per side (it's partitioned).  I probably won't play with that until spring because eventually it's supposed to get cold around here and I don't see how I could keep that tumbler from freezing complete through with just 2.5 c.f. of material per batch, BUT I have one now and I look forward to playing with it. 

Use your tumbler right away, it will freeze, however they do warm up in the sun, those micro organisms will begin to work. I usually fill mine up during the winter, then in spring dump it into my big pile....some times in winter you'll be able to see the steam coming up
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/26/2015, 4:36 pm

The older the bale, the better, plantoid! Already on the way to compostville!

Z Moore, nice gardener presents!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/31/2015, 12:50 pm

"Good new" update?  
Checked thermometer this morning and new pile temperature was UP to 100.  Still not as high as I wanted for a new pile, but hey exterior temperature dropped and interior temperature increased, I'll take it.

@Jimmy Really?  Wow, well twist my arm.  I'll "fire" that thing up in January just for fun Smile
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 1/4/2016, 9:40 am

Went to Starbucks to see if I could score some coffee grounds to start my Christmas Tumbler and scored BIG, 3 big bags of Coffee grounds!  So, I decided to also open up my new pile and add in some coffee grounds and rabbit pellets and bedding.  Not a lot.  O.k. Sanderson, that will be my last add to the new pile, I did NOT add anything to my "old pile", I left it alone Smile  Old pile on left, new pile on right.  Did not turn the piles this time, decided to wait another week for that.   
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Piles10

Temperature of "old" pile is on the low end and holding at about 90 degrees, 88 I think to be exact. 
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Old_pi12

Temperature of "new" pile is just a little higher, closer to 100.  Both are on the low end of temperature, but holding pretty steady.
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 New_pi12

Loaded one side of my Christmas Tumbler with Rabbit pellets and bedding (straw), a full 5 gallons of coffee grounds and some misc stuff from household waste.  I think there is a fruit cake in there, finally found a use for fruit cake Smile  
To Compost or not to Compost that is the question... - Page 9 Tumble11

I'm about 2 fulls months on "old" pile.  Material looks decent and dark, looks like it's progressing with breaking down.  "New" pile is only 2-3 weeks, material is getting darker in color, but still real "chunky", somebody keeps adding stuff to the pile Wink
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2016, 2:20 pm

Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/4/2016, 6:22 pm

Valid point, how do you just let a pile "be"? Just concentrate on the new pile and let the old one deflate? I have 2 full buckets of greens, mostly coffee grounds and kitchen scraps, and plan to put them on my new pile, topped by some leaves....or should I put leaves, then buckets, then more leaves? My straw got delayed due to flooding cutesie
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next