Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? Toplef10Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? I22gcj10Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? Toplef10Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? I22gcj10Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost?

3 posters

Go down

Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? Empty Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost?

Post  delay1968 4/12/2013, 11:47 am

OK, so this is my second year of SFG'ing. I have a 48 sqft. 4x12 bed which takes up a good chunk of my backyard. Last year I bought a bunch of different composts to make my mix. My garden thrived, though I started late so most of my crop did not give me much before it got too cold. I feel my mix was good, though, as the plants seemed healthy.
I had enough leftover compost from last year to get me started this year but now don't have any left. I want to start my own composting but am a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there and the limitations of my urban location.

Anyone in Brooklyn or nearby with limited space have any success stories or advice?

For people not familiar with the area, here are my concerns:

I can afford to take up maybe about 6-8 sqft. with a compost setup. Definitely no more than that. I can probably make space on my (crappy, weedy) grass or on a paved area just behind my house. Either way it would probably be exposed to about 4-5 hours of sun a day. I also have a dark, dingy part of my basement I could set something up in if that would be better, though this area is probably nut much more climate controlled than the outdoors.
Aside from space, another main concern is the temperature range here. We go from many sub-freezing days in winter to many humid 90+ degree days in the summer.
The native soil also has a rather high lead content (over 1500 ppm) according to a test last year. For this reason I assume I should not compost leaves and grass from my yard? Is that correct?

Due to these issues I am leaning toward a small to medium pre-made plastic type of composter as I don't have room for big piles. I figure I don't need anything that big as my garden is only 48 sqft and I won't be putting tons of leaves and clippings in there (or do I need to?).
Should i go for a tumbler? A worm setup? Or is just a stationary barrel ok? Would kitchen/garden scraps be enough to keep it going and produce enough compost for me (It's just me and my wife, and a baby on the way)?

Every time I think I have made a decision, I read something that makes me doubt it. Looking forward to your ideas...
delay1968
delay1968

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? Empty Re: Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost?

Post  jimmy cee 4/12/2013, 6:11 pm

If you can get to Sheepshead Bay, try getting some of the wasted fish remains.
from the party boats.
Even fish some don't want.
I don't know what it's like there now, however years ago lots of good composting material was available. I was not aware of this then.
I used remains of 15 lb steel head in my garden now. Oct was the season, buried lots of stuff about 12 inches down and was all decomposed in the spring when planting.
I suppose rats & cat might be a problem also.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost? Empty Re: Brooklyn/NYC people: How do you compost?

Post  Janas 4/14/2013, 3:26 pm

Delay, I also have a tiny outdoor space since moving to a condo in the fall. I brought my vermicomposting with me for indoor composting in the winter. It's a Rubbermaid tub like you'll see in other posts here on SFG forum and handles much (but not all) of my compostable scraps. For summer, I'll expand to using worm tubes right in my SFG raised beds. Here's a link, although Josh's great photos have been removed from the thread https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1603-worm-tube-for-the-sfg?highlight=worm+tube.

Let us know what you try in your yard!
Janas
Janas

Back to top Go down

Post  delay1968 4/18/2013, 10:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy: Sounds like an interesting idea. I do have several neighborhood cats that hang out in my backyard (and even more squirrels) so I don't think that would be the way to go for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Janas: Yeah, I'm leaning toward the worm composting as well. When you do worm composting, is that all you need? Can I keep it outside in the winter or will that kill the worms? Maybe I'll try the worm tubes as well. I had lots of big worms in the garden last year, so hopefully they'll be back this year.

Any other ideas, people?
delay1968
delay1968

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/19/2013, 7:04 am

Second thoughts make me believe you might just do well with a tumbler.
Being secured no pests will get in it, however that won't deter them from trying or even being in the area...( I remember well the city's problems, as we were superintendent's of an apt house in mid town Manhattan)
I have an Envirocycle tumbler which I am very happy with even tho it hasn't completed anything yet since Oct.
An added benefit of this tumbler is that the base holds fluid that's called
"rough compost tea" I have emptied it and it looks good.
The people who make this tumbler are extremely helpful and just could help you along with using it, should you decide on one.
I have 2 large compost piles, so my tumbler is only another toy for me to play with.
http://envirocycle.com/us/home
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down