Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Toplef10Help me correct my mistakes for next year please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please I22gcj10Help me correct my mistakes for next year please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Toplef10Help me correct my mistakes for next year please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please I22gcj10Help me correct my mistakes for next year please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please

+5
Scorpio Rising
OhioGardener
markqz
heyteegee
stevenfstein
9 posters

Go down

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Empty Help me correct my mistakes for next year please

Post  stevenfstein 8/21/2022, 2:07 pm

This was my 2nd year and it was a disaster. Probably didn't do the right thing end of last year or this Spring but too late now. To compound the problem a groundhog took up residence in a burrow in the garden. Here is a synopsis of what went right/wrong. Bush beans from seed - great crop, tons of beans - groundhog loved the flowers so I took out all the plants. Tomatoes, several different varieties. String method and pinching out all the suckers. Spindly plants and not a great harvest, some plants never really developed. Zucchini - one plant did great, one barely grew with only a few vegetables. Cucumbers. Three plants on trellis. Got to be about 5 feet tall, tons of flowers, two cucumbers. Basil grew but was pale green. Eggplant/peppers hardly any yield and small. I have 12 4x3 sections in a 12" deep raised bed, all new last year. 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat and 1/3 compost but not 5 different kinds. What should I do either end of season or early Spring to get it back to where it should be. In New York so probably will get from Lowes or Home Depot or Ace Hardware. Could also order from Amazon. Garden level has dropped an inch or two from last year.

Much appreciated.... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Scorpio Rising, dphair and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Empty hard to say exactly...

Post  heyteegee 8/25/2022, 1:33 am

I'm a beginner too and had struggles with pests, critters, diseases...
I've heard of many others having issues with zucchini this year, having almost all male flowers (I only got 3 fruits from my 3 plants!).
Hard to say what your issue/s was/were - enough water? enough sun? enough pollination? did you fertilize/amend?
Too bad about your beans - can you add a rabbit fence or other barrier if he's a problem next year, instead of yanking all the plants out?
It's a constant learning curve for sure, but I am determined and won't give up - sounds like you have the same attitude! Hopefully others more experienced than me can chime in to help...
heyteegee
heyteegee

Scorpio Rising and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Empty Re: Help me correct my mistakes for next year please

Post  markqz 8/25/2022, 12:06 pm

stevenfstein wrote:This was my 2nd year and it was a disaster.
Did you top up your garden with compost at the start of the year?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Empty Re: Help me correct my mistakes for next year please

Post  stevenfstein 8/25/2022, 2:27 pm

I think so but don't remember totally. I did put some worm castings in each planting hole and mixed it in with the dirt. My plan in the spring is in each of the 4x3 sections to add one bag of composted cow manure, one bag of mushroom compost, one bag of chicken compost and about 1/4 bag of earthworm castings. Just curious but why are fertilizers such a big no no. Was going to mix in some Old Farmers Almanac Organic Tomato and Vegetable plant food and Dr. Earth Organic Tomato Vegetable and Herb Dry Fertilizer. 

Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

WhiteWolf22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/25/2022, 4:49 pm

stevenfstein wrote: Just curious but why are fertilizers such a big no no. Was going to mix in some Old Farmers Almanac Organic Tomato and Vegetable plant food and Dr. Earth Organic Tomato Vegetable and Herb Dry Fertilizer.

Mostly because they are totally unnecessary with all of the compost. The compost has the same nutrients as the organic fertilizers, and adding organic fertilizer to compost is an unnecessary expense.  They generally don't hurt anything, but don't necessarily add anything either. 

My plan in the spring is in each of the 4x3 sections to add one bag of composted cow manure, one bag of mushroom compost, one bag of chicken compost and about 1/4 bag of earthworm castings.

That composted cow manure, mushroom compost, chicken compost, and worm castings will add more nutrients for the plants than the fertilizers you listed. Adjust the worm castings to about 10% of the mixture you add, i.e., for 3 bags of compost add 3/10ths of a bag of worm castings.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4537

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson, Scorpio Rising, WhiteWolf22 and lisawallace88 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/25/2022, 6:33 pm

It was a rough year, but it seems like you should have had a better harvest.  Can’t do much about Mr. Groundhog…but you really should amend before you plant each square.  I do it one bed at a time in the Spring due to leaching in the winter (snow, rain) here.  If you track by bed it’s a little easier.  The only exception to this is garlic, since it is planted in fall.

It really sounds to me like things didn’t have enough available nutrients, especially nitrogen.  And some of the things sound like pollination failure….do you have bees, tiny bees?  Do you have flowers and stuff around to attract them?  Usually the male flowers precede the females….just strange to not get fruit off a good plant.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 8/25/2022, 9:30 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:It was a rough year, but it seems like you should have had a better harvest.  Can’t do much about Mr. Groundhog…but you really should amend before you plant each square.  I do it one bed at a time in the Spring due to leaching in the winter (snow, rain) here.  If you track by bed it’s a little easier.  The only exception to this is garlic, since it is planted in fall.

It really sounds to me like things didn’t have enough available nutrients, especially nitrogen.  And some of the things sound like pollination failure….do you have bees, tiny bees?  Do you have flowers and stuff around to attract them?  Usually the male flowers precede the females….just strange to not get fruit off a good plant.
Nutrients probably, tons of bees and cabbage butterflies.

Thanks to all....  Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 9/4/2022, 11:51 am

Well, at least one problem soon to be gone... will be relocated to a preserve.

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Trappe10
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2022, 10:44 pm

Catch and relocate. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

WhiteWolf22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  wargarden2017 9/20/2022, 11:00 pm

1. it is best to check your local state or provence laws and regulation on 
the issue groundhog and other pest animal trapping. 
2.Make sure relocating is legal. In some places it not
legal to relocate wild animals. Animal control or licensed animal 
pest service must handle the problem. 
3. also make sure you move him if  it legal very far away or they 
have been known come back.
4. also you need to do certain things to the burrow so another groundhogs will not take up residence and you don't have the same issue.
wargarden2017
wargarden2017

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 9/21/2022, 3:46 pm

hired a professional who relocates to some kind of preserve (I hope).

Best... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 9/24/2022, 10:31 am

OhioGardener wrote:That composted cow manure, mushroom compost, chicken compost, and worm castings will add more nutrients for the plants than the fertilizers you listed. Adjust the worm castings to about 10% of the mixture you add, i.e., for 3 bags of compost add 3/10ths of a bag of worm castings.

I had a bad year, too. Some of the same probs, some diff.  Not much produce for the effort, other than lots of grape/cherry tomatoes, those have produced even though the plants to me don't look that great.  And we did get some broc/cabbage even though we got the transplants in late.  Seriously, many of my plants we only got one veg off of, maybe two. 

Question about all the manure stevenfstein is planning -- isn't that a LOT of manure in relation to compost to be adding next Spring?  I thought we were supposed to limit manure to 20% of the compost part of the MM.  Asking for my own understanding.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/24/2022, 2:18 pm

Soose, correct.

Try to limit manure-based compost to 20-25% of the total compost. All manures count the same - so there isn't any need to find more than one good one. Be prepared to sift because so many brands have declined in quality control.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/24/2022, 4:01 pm

Soose wrote:Question about all the manure stevenfstein is planning -- isn't that a LOT of manure in relation to compost to be adding next Spring?  I thought we were supposed to limit manure to 20% of the compost part of the MM. 

As Sanderson said, that is correct.  The comment I made above was in reference to the fact that they do not need to add fertilizers or other amendments with all of that manure-based compost.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4537

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Help me correct my mistakes for next year please Empty Mixed bag

Post  Chuck d'Argy 10/5/2022, 7:45 pm

This year's garden wass much better than last, but I used fertilizer, Jacob Stakes for vegetables. 

Tomatoes did great, peppers too. 3 of 4 cabbages did well. All kohl robis, 8 altogether. taters so so.

But squash and cukes did not grow well. That box was new MM, so I guess that's the issue.

Am going to try to grow the size of the garden again in 2023. Hence my OCB with the planner.

Overall I can't complain too much.
Chuck d'Argy
Chuck d'Argy

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 10/6/2022, 9:46 am

Soose wrote:I had a bad year, too. Some of the same probs, some diff.  Not much produce for the effort, other than lots of grape/cherry tomatoes, those have produced even though the plants to me don't look that great.  And we did get some broc/cabbage even though we got the transplants in late.  Seriously, many of my plants we only got one veg off of, maybe two. 
Would appreciate help addressing the poor performance of MM for the first year for those of us having the problem.  I really tried to get the MM right.  Invested a lot of funds and trouble.  People I have met in this area who didn't invest in MM but used the SFG method with regular dirt from our area have done much better -- by that I mean they had productive gardens -- than I have had.  The only thing I can think is that my two "yard/kit waste" compost sources were already leached out.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/9/2022, 12:44 am

It's really hard to diagnose why one person's new MM worked and another person's new MM didn't.  Mine didn't work because I used a Kellogg's soil amendment for the compost instead of real composts.

Here are some possible reasons:

1.  Not fluffing the peat moss before measuring, leading to too much of a non-nutrient portion.
2. Not wetting the peat moss or Mel's Mix thoroughly, making it hard to moisten the MM thoroughly in the bed.
3.  Not using real composts (using soil amendment, raised bed mix, potting mix, etc.).
4.  Not keeping the MM moist (moist throughout the bed).
5.  Not adding enough MM to a bed so that after thoroughly watering the bed, there isn't a full 6" of MM.
6.  Setting the bed in a low spot so that it can't drain.
7.  Growing in thin plastic containers without protecting from direct sunlight. The MM and roots can heat up.
This is may be more critical in hot summer regions like mine.
8.  Not mulching to slow surface evaporation and keep the roots cool.  Again, maybe more critical in hot and dry summer regions like mine.
9.  Over watering.

I'm sure there are more possible reasons.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 10/9/2022, 7:34 am

sanderson wrote:It's really hard to diagnose why one person's new MM worked and another person's new MM didn't.  Mine didn't work because I used a Kellogg's soil amendment for the compost instead of real composts.

Here are some possible reasons:
Thanks for the list, Sanderson.  Understood it's hard to diagnose.   I'm sure the list will help everyone who sees the thread. 

I think none of these in the list apply to mine, although we did have a hot Summer for us and everyone's garden suffered.  But what we're seeing must be nutritional deficiencies or imbalances, surely. 

I return to just suspecting the compost we bought and the compost from my own old compost bin was leached out.  Hmm, but the volunteer from that old compost bin - a butternut squash - was healthy and prolific.  I had not thought of that.  We harvested about 20 big squashes from it last week.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/9/2022, 4:00 pm

Soose wrote:I return to just suspecting the compost we bought and the compost from my own old compost bin was leached out.  Hmm, but the volunteer from that old compost bin - a butternut squash - was healthy and prolific.  I had not thought of that.  We harvested about 20 big squashes from it last week.
That is quite a harvest from one plant! Help me correct my mistakes for next year please 3170584802

Have you tried the compost test? Try to germinate radishes (because they only take 3 or so days to sprout, and beans because they are sensitive to herbicides. Use the bulk compost in some pots and your own compost in others.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 10/10/2022, 7:31 am

sanderson wrote:Have you tried the compost test?  Try to germinate radishes (because they only take 3 or so days to sprout, and beans because they are sensitive to herbicides.  Use the bulk compost in some pots and your own compost in others.

Going forward I'll have to use the test method...  I did not do it last Spring when filling the new MM in the new raised beds. 

My son went and bought some planting soil of some type for elsewhere in the yard, and I am making him test it with some beans before he uses it. So far a kidney bean is poking out of the surface, but I want to make sure it doesn't grow all curled and twisted like the stuff in this old manure did. (That manure that might be contaminated was over a year old she said, but it had no worms in it. Isn't that a sign?)
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down