Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 12 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22 ... 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  llama momma 7/3/2013, 8:31 am

GWN-- Thank You, LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  cpl100 7/3/2013, 9:35 am

GWN what a crop! Beautiful! I thought the bottom leaves are supposed to be browned and wilted, though, before harvesting them? Yours seem all green so I am confused (again).
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/3/2013, 10:29 am

A few weeks before harvesting stop watering the garlic. Different growers have different rules of thumb regarding the best time to harvest. The dying back of the leaves is only an approximate indicator.

To determine whether the garlic is ready to harvest inspect a few bulbs in the ground by carefully scraping away the dirt. You can feel the bumps of the cloves through the wrappers of a mature bulb.

Lift the garlic from the ground when the bulb has reached a good size and before the wrappers begin to deteriorate or the bulbs begin to split open. If a bulb is not well-wrapped, and the skins on the cloves are not intact, the garlic will not keep well. Learning exactly when to stop watering and when to harvest is a matter of judgment that comes with experience.

I have only harvested a very small portion of my crop. Many of mine had started to split and so I harvested about one third of my crop. According to this source "the dying back of the leaves is only an approximate indicator"
Some sources say when there are 4 green leaves left, some say when there are 6 green leaves left, some say when 4 leaves have turned yellow. I had planted about 80 purple soft neck, which seems to have needed to be harvested early, despite the leaf colour, because the garlic was splitting.

I will likely harvest a lot more of them this week
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/3/2013, 9:14 pm

I just harvested my two types of garlic yesterday between the raindrops!

1) Late Italian
 2) Chinese Pink

I did find a couple of them that are split halfway up the stalk with some garlic bulbs inside. What do I do with them?
 1) Do I take the little garlic bulbs out and use as soon as possible and cure the main bulb?
 2) Or do I cure the entire bulb with stalk and little bulbs inside stalk?

I can't take a picture because I ruined by camera by jumping in the pool with the camera down the top of my bathing suit.....weird....don't ask...lol
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/3/2013, 9:32 pm

I would try to cure them as they are, leave the leaves on. The ones that are split, could be stored as separate cloves. ...as turan said in an earlier posting. I am trying to cure mine just as they are whole, with the leaves on. But I will check on the split ones frequently for signs of rot.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/3/2013, 10:30 pm

Thank you GWN!
I love your harvested garlic - they look awesome!!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/5/2013, 12:55 am

The little bulblets forming in your garlic stems are kinda like the bulbils at the top of regular scapes.  You can plant them in a nursery bed in the fall and they'll grow into larger cloves that can then be planted the following fall to form nearly full size heads of garlic.  Some kinds of garlic form these funny pseudo scapes--kind of an arrested-development thing.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/5/2013, 12:07 pm

Oh I am sorry Dunkinjean, I totally misread your post... I just saw split and thought you were talking about split garlic.
THANKS Nonna for clearing that one up.
Embarassed 
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/6/2013, 5:08 pm

It's ok GWN.
Thanks Nonna.
The camera is working! Whew....carrot 

Below are pics of my garlic harvested last week....hopefully.
 Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Pics_010

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Pics_011
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/6/2013, 10:17 pm

Very NICE haul Dunkinjean...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/6/2013, 10:20 pm

Dunkinjean, how many per square did you plant?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/7/2013, 2:00 am

I have a question regarding my garlics.  Hopefully you experienced gardeners can help.

Are these the equivalent of scapes?  No bulbs, just funny looking leat blades that don't want to separate and stand alone like the first bunch of leaf blades.
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 7-6-1310  I'll try to take a wider picture tomorrow.

The garlic are from cloves from my grocery garlic, that I planted March 31.  The leaves are starting to dry and I read somewhere that I should stop watering a couple weeks before lifting them out so the "paper" can start drying. I dug down and I can actually feel fair size garlic growing.  I only have 6 of them. Again, I'm first time gardener.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/7/2013, 9:10 am

Sanderson, I think those are just leaves. Scapes are hard and round stalks meant to support a flower.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/7/2013, 10:22 am

most garlic from the grocery store, are softnecks and they do not produce scapes...
Hiwever you can weave soft necks.

I believe I planted 4 garlic per square.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/9/2013, 7:03 am

Just ordered my garlic for fall planting.  1 hardneck and 1 softneck variety.  Nootka and Japanese. 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/9/2013, 8:17 am

What made you select those two particular varieties?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/9/2013, 8:35 am

Mild to medium flavor and supposedly both can handle very cold winters.  I want hardnecks for scapes, and softnecks to braid and store.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/9/2013, 8:39 am

I picked one of the garlic. It had several withered leaves at the bottom. It also had the most slender stalk of all the plants. It is quite small. Must it be cured or can I just use it now? Also, do you think it was so small (only just over an inch across) due to the slender stalk or because I picked it too early? It does seem formed into very small cloves inside the wrapper.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/9/2013, 9:10 am

cpl, sometimes they just stay small. Those are the ones you want to cook with any time now. Any larger bulbs or cloves you harvest can be used for next season planting. You can use the garlic as soon as you pull it out of the ground. Curing of unblemished bulbs  is recommended for any garlic bound for storage.

My garlic harvest has also begun with the few small scrawny plants.
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 00211

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 7/9/2013, 9:20 am

This is the first year I planted garlic. They went into the ground May 18. I still cant see their green tops like on my onions that were planted at the same time. Should I be concerned?
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/9/2013, 9:51 am

They are probably gone if there is no foliage. Repurpose the squares and plant more garlic in the autumn.

Where did you get your seed?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/9/2013, 11:00 am

camprn wrote:cpl, sometimes they just stay small. Those are the ones you want to cook with any time now. Any larger bulbs or cloves you harvest can be used for next season planting. You can use the garlic as soon as you pull it out of the ground. Curing of unblemished bulbs  is recommended for any garlic bound for storage.

My garlic harvest has also begun with the few small scrawny plants.
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 00211

I see that the garlic you pulled has leaves that are still quite green. I thought they were supposed to brown first? Most of mine have more brown than what you have pulled. Also, does the diameter of the stalk directly correlate with the size of the bulb below in most cases? Thanks!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/9/2013, 11:44 am

My first garlic!  happy banana

I posted a photo a few days ago of funny looking curly leaves. Replies seem to indicate it might be a soft neck since it was from a grocery store garlic clove.

Couldn't help myself this morning!!  I "lifted" it and have it hanging on the back porch.  Very Happy
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Garlic10
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Garlic11
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/10/2013, 3:55 am

We've come back from a gloriously hot long weekend away & spent over £ 10,000 doing it Smile .

So yesterday was spent checking out the SFG beds and making the first Dalek of three of compost using all my own ingredients .

On taking out a few weeds from the odd square I noticed that the really small garlics in a couple of squares had withered and gone dead grass brown coloured in their tops .

I took these squares apart and found that I'd somehow planted the commercial purple cloves at least 4 inches deep , the cloves had failed to produce any worthwhile bulbs.

Wondering what to do with these two dozen or so small bulbs ( 1/2" dia max ) I decided to try for the first time ever to make some garlic & herb olive oil and also hope to actually use the garlic bulbs as a raw garlic bulb steeped in herbed olive oil as part of salads.

Is this how you guys " pickle " ( Is this the correct term ?) garlic in olive oil or are there different methods ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/10/2013, 7:43 am

Nice garlic sanderson Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 3170584802 

Welcome back David Very Happy

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 12 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22 ... 32  Next