Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 13 of 32 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22 ... 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  llama momma 7/10/2013, 8:27 am

Plantoid,

Hope this helps:

http://www.hoodrivergarlic.com/recipes.htm
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  cpl100 7/10/2013, 5:08 pm

That must have been some great vacation at that price. Congratulations!

All this garlic talk has gotten me wondering. What is happening to it during the last couple weeks in the ground? Is it getting larger? Is it getting the paper wrappers? Just sitting there waiting...? Does anyone know?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/10/2013, 5:24 pm

cpl100 wrote:
camprn wrote:cpl, sometimes they just stay small. Those are the ones you want to cook with any time now. Any larger bulbs or cloves you harvest can be used for next season planting. You can use the garlic as soon as you pull it out of the ground. Curing of unblemished bulbs  is recommended for any garlic bound for storage.

My garlic harvest has also begun with the few small scrawny plants.
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 00211

I see that the garlic you pulled has leaves that are still quite green.  I thought they were supposed to brown first?  Most of mine have more brown than what you have pulled.  Also, does the diameter of the stalk directly correlate with the size of the bulb below in most cases?  Thanks!
Yes, the foliage appears to be green in this photo, but actually they were all yellowing and had fallen over because the stalk was done and drying out.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/10/2013, 5:30 pm

Thanks! Another thing for me to check for 'doneness' (if the stalks are drying out).
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/10/2013, 8:33 pm

camprn,

I am not sure how many per square I planted since my two boxes that I used for garlic are long and about 1 1/2" wide.
My Chinese Pink Garlic did better than my Late Italian but I also planted more Chinese Pink.... We basically had rain all of May and June this spring.
But I am going to plant garlic again this fall. I also feel I need to nurture them a little more....

I promised so many people garlic that I spent late last night til 2pm doing final cleaning and braiding of the garlic ....lol Very Happy....since we are leaving tom or Fri. to go visit my grandsons and vacation time..
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/11/2013, 9:57 am

Now I am reading that you should not plant your garlic in the same spot for two years. Is that what you all follow? I planted six squares and I only have one 4 x 4 box! Are there also things that cannot be planted right after garlic? I vaguely recall reading that but can't call up the entire information. **sigh** It stinks when your brain no longer works like it did in your younger days! Sad 
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/11/2013, 10:03 am

I have never heard that about not planting garlic in the same spot. Do you have a link to this?

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/11/2013, 10:21 am

camprn, sorry I do not have a link.  I read it but can't recall where I read it.  I do recall that it stated not to plant garlic in the same place in consecutive years and preferably leave two years in between.  I have read conflicting information about planting peas and beans after or near garlic as well.  I guess I will see just how valid the 'near' part is.  I have only the 16 squares and did plant green (bush) beans in the box last week.  So far most of them have sprouted and we shall see if they produce.  Have not been able to tend to the garden much, even to plant, due to health issues for my MIL taking up a lot of time.  

You are a much more knowledgeable gardener than I, and if you plant it in the same place yearly, I will not be afraid to do it!

Edit:  I just googled and came up with this but it is not the document I originally read:  

Garlic

and another:

More Garlic Info
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/11/2013, 10:49 am

If you buy your seed garlic from certified disease free seed growers or you save disease free seed there is no reason to rotate your crop out of the same bed.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/11/2013, 7:14 pm

cpl100 wrote:That must have been some great vacation at that price.  Congratulations!

All this garlic talk has gotten me wondering.  What is happening to it during the last couple weeks in the ground?  Is it getting larger?  Is it getting the paper wrappers?  Just sitting there waiting...?   Does anyone know?

Twas a cheapie weekend really , we have planned for three years what we'd do with part of  an inheritance bequest when it came through .
 We went and  purchased a new to us 5 berth caravan in tip top condition ( 5 yrs. old ). Then went  and brought two new compact foldup bicycles plus a few more bits & bobs to ensure we are fully kitted out for the forth coming 6 weeks of School summer holidays when we will be AFKB's for almost six weeks .

I've harvested  two square feet of garlic and it's laid out on an opened up thick cardboard box under the veranda to ripen off/ dry out fully .
 On the remaining garlic I've turned off the auto watering nozzles to let it grow a bit slower in dryer conditions .

Here in the UK we have got a heat wave the like of which we've not seen for donkey's years , the temp reached almost 30 oC in our back garden yesterday  hopefully it will give the garlic just the right conditions for a bumper crop. It was 83 o F inside the bungalow with the curtains drawn and the windows open.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/11/2013, 7:20 pm

llama momma wrote:Plantoid,

Hope this helps:

http://www.hoodrivergarlic.com/recipes.htm

Thanks LM ....
That link is an interesting read ......... Dave rushes out to the kitchen and bungs the jar of herbs ,olive oil and garlic in the fridge , in readiness for freezing it in manageable portions tomorrow .
 I didn't realize the botulism:face:  angle was present .
Hopefully as it is only one day sat on the work top in the shade it will be  Ok .
If not ...See yah on the other side down in the furnace Smile .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/16/2013, 6:48 pm

I took off 1 & 1/14 pounds of scapes this morning ( 83 scapes ) .. what to do with them ??
 Easy ....someone said scape pesto here on ANSFG  ..looked on line found a recipe for 1 pound of scapes , got cracking and made it . 

Cor Muvver , I wish someone had warned me that it's worse than eating raw garlic cloves & lumps of strong raw eye watering onions .

It's made holes in my socks it's that hot , even after standing it in the fridge for four hours . I being a pig for punishment had another teaspoon of the fresh stuff this evening with pasta chicken lumps and a garden salad .. It was still mighty strong and belly paralyzing .. I've still got indigestion six hours after teatime. ( only four more ounces to eat before we go on holiday at the weekend affraid .

The remaining pound and five ounces of the pesto has been decanted into several vac sealed bags and thrown in the freezer for use later in the year in such things like pasta dishes .

We are going to get our revenge on the remaining scapes by lightly softening them in clarified butter then  having them with some salmon & another out the garden salad tomorrow night .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/16/2013, 7:00 pm

Enjoy those lovely scapes!  Quite versatile.  I froze nearly all of mine and they are wonderful if you slice off little bits sautéed in butter, becomes nicely mild flavored, then cook your breakfast eggs and wilt any greens with it and add peppers too.  Talk about a Power Breakfast!  Yum.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  iiiigardener 7/16/2013, 7:17 pm

Camprn: is the same true with shallots and onions - if certified disease free, one doesn't have to rotate the crop? I was planning on moving my garlic, etc. but they did so well in the bed that I had them in, I would love to use it again
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/16/2013, 7:54 pm

Typically, I don't rotate crops unless there is a disease issue. Just be sure to dump a bunch, like a wheelbarrow full, of homemade compost into the bed before planting garlic in the fall.

I have a question for nonna, have you ever seen softnecks put out scapes? I had 5 out of 100 of them do that this year.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  J_in_HamiltonON 7/16/2013, 10:33 pm

plantoid wrote:I took off 1 & 1/14 pounds of scapes this morning ( 83 scapes ) .. what to do with them ??

plantoid, this is our first year growing garlic and I tried a small bit of a scape raw - wow, it just about knocked me over it was that strong. But it becomes absolutely mild once tossed in some olive oil and grilled (or just heated up in a pan as we did). I wish that we had planted more garlic just for the scapes!
J_in_HamiltonON
J_in_HamiltonON

Male Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/17/2013, 11:11 am

plantoid wrote:I took off 1 & 1/14 pounds of scapes this morning ( 83 scapes ) .. what to do with them ??
 Easy ....someone said scape pesto here on ANSFG  ..looked on line found a recipe for 1 pound of scapes , got cracking and made it . 

Cor Muvver , I wish someone had warned me that it's worse than eating raw garlic cloves & lumps of strong raw eye watering onions .

It's made holes in my socks it's that hot , even after standing it in the fridge for four hours . I being a pig for punishment had another teaspoon of the fresh stuff this evening with pasta chicken lumps and a garden salad .. It was still mighty strong and belly paralyzing .. I've still got indigestion six hours after teatime. ( only four more ounces to eat before we go on holiday at the weekend affraid .

The remaining pound and five ounces of the pesto has been decanted into several vac sealed bags and thrown in the freezer for use later in the year in such things like pasta dishes .

We are going to get our revenge on the remaining scapes by lightly softening them in clarified butter then  having them with some salmon & another out the garden salad tomorrow night .

darn funny Thanks for that description, Plantoid, you made me *really* "LOL".

I've always wondered why people say that scapes are "mild".  That's never been my experience--says she, who minced some & added them to a kickin' chicken salad yesterday--YUM!

P.S. Care to share that scape pesto recipe or post the link?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 7/17/2013, 7:28 pm

Planted these in mid Oct, 4 inches apart..(not sfg) no Mel's Mix here this year..just dirt.
When shoots came up in late Nov, I covered with a light coating of straw for the winter.
Uncovered and composted over the bed..in March
Pulled them out 3 days ago, next year will convert bed to Mel's Mix

last NovMary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Garlic11

May 2013Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Garlic12

July2013Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 Garlic13

July 2013Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 13 July_110
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/17/2013, 7:41 pm

Here's  the recipe for the scape pesto (aka  poison )  I made .

Original recipe makes 3 1/2 cups  ( That's heck of a lot of rat poison  Laughing  ) 

• 1 pound garlic scapes, cut into 2-inch pieces

• 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese

• 1 cup olive oil

• 1 tablespoon lemon juice

• ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Blend the garlic scapes, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper together in a food processor until smooth.

It was whizzed for about three minutes  in the whizzer till it turned to a khaki oily paste with tiny crunchy lumps of scape & parmesan  left in it .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2013, 8:02 pm

Plantoid, what would we do without your humor.  

I have harvested most of my hardnecks.  Some are not as large as I would like but someone awhile back said that it will take a couple of years for them to get used to the growing medium and this particular climate so I will take the small ones (no cloves) and plant them in the fall and then take the largest ones for use in the kitchen.  The rest will go back in the MM in the late fall.  I will say that the first year is not a disappointment.  It's a learning curve but we need to learn something new everyday anyway.  Smile
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/17/2013, 8:52 pm

GreatGranny
I keep reading from garlic farm sites that you should do the opposite of what you stated above, that is you should eat the small ones and plant the large cloves.  They say the biggest bulbs grow from the biggest cloves.  So small cloves will only get you small bulbs. You can do it any way you want but thought you'd want to know how to quickly grow the biggest ones.  Hope this helps.
Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/17/2013, 8:58 pm

Agreed with the planting of the largest cloves of garlic. Onion sets, you want the smallest ones for planting.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/17/2013, 9:07 pm

Oops.  I had read somewhere that the small ones that did not develop cloves could be planted.  That article said that they would grow and develop - maybe not like the larger ones but anyway, I'm going to try that as well as the normal planting.  I don't remember where I read it.  Sorry.

Okay, I will take the largest cloves and plant those then save the rest for the kitchen.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/18/2013, 12:33 am

plant the large cloves.
My husband an me... spent the whole morning today cleaning and putting the garlic away.
I have about 300 head and about 60 of them are softneck and so I braided them. I have not watched the video, but tried to use the same principals as french braiding my hair..... cyclops 
Our garlic has been hanging for over 2 weeks, and most of them were all brown. I am a bit concerned that some of them appeared a bit moist between the cloves .... the ones I peeled down to the cloves.
It was a very wet June here and I did not get the 2 weeks without any watering prior to harvest.
SOOO next year I am going to keep the garlic a ways a way from everything else so I can attempt to dry the ground out before I harvest without drying out the other plants nearby.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/18/2013, 6:38 am

Regarding my question about softneck garlic putting out scapes, it seems that it is not an unknown occurrence and that sometimes plants will revert to hardenck, typically if the plant becomes stressed.

A few of my plants that did this, producing very small bulbs. I also had a few put out the bulge of bulblets in the stem, those were also small. I will use neither in my seed stock for next year.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 32 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22 ... 32  Next