Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Toplef10To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question I22gcj10To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Toplef10To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question I22gcj10To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question

+23
manda99
Windmere
audrey.jeanne.roberts
GWN
llama momma
Turan
baileyhermit
Boz
Windsor.Parker
Goosegirl
quiltbea
jmsieglaff
sanderson
camprn
reservoir
meatburner
FamilyGardening
CapeCoddess
landarch
boffer
R&R 1011
walshevak
Kate888
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Empty To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question

Post  Kate888 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 am

So, as I plan my garden this year, I'm trying to decide whether to try sweet peppers again this year or if I can find a better use for the space.

I have grown sweet peppers the last two years, but just have not gotten much out of it.  Last year was too cool, I know, but I don't know what happened the previous year.  It was nice and hot then.  My jalapeno did great that year, bumper crop, and it produced some last year, but not the sweet ones.  Did I just have bad luck or are they something that are harder to produce a good crop?
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Empty Re: To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question

Post  walshevak Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 am

I don't get as many peppers per plant as I would like, but I plant them anyway for the variety.  To save my precious bed space for as many other veggies as I can, I plant peppers and tomatoes in 5 gal buckets.   

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Empty Re: To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question

Post  R&R 1011 Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:00 am

My green peppers (California Wonder) I got maybe 4 from 1 plant.  Sad
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:46 am

I get 4-5 sweet peppers per plant. I thought that growing them in a summer greenhouse would improve production, but it hasn't.

In the same environment, hot peppers do so well that I end up giving most of them away.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:15 pm

I think sweet peppers are more difficult to grow than hot peppers.  My jalapeno, chili, habanero, and cayenne peppers are loaded year after year no matter the weather.  Sweet peppers are small and thin-walled.

I talked to a few people at a local farmers market about this...and they said they could almost guess what I was doing wrong.  "Did you buy bedding plants from a nursery?"  I answered "yes".  They both said "there's your problem...their genetics are crap...grow your own from seed and choose the right varieties."  They grew thick-walled, blocky peppers for market; Socrates, Aristotle, King Arthur, etc.

So this year I will try my sweet peppers from seed...picked up some Fat 'N Sassy and Giant Marconi...so we'll see how it goes.

I also have heard that peppers like hot days and cool nights...just like temps in the desert...my peppers really take off in September...90 degree days with cooler nights.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm

I've had the same experience - hot peppers no matter what and only a few sweet peppers.  But Camprn says I need to cut the plant way back in the beginning to get it to bush out.  I know it'll be hard to do but I'll try it this year.  Maybe that's the secret.

Did you folks cut your sweet ones way back at the beginning?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:21 pm

we always have problems growing CA wonder sweet bell peppers as well....we would get a bunch of them on the plant but they were small...... yet sweet yellow banana peppers in a topsy turvy did great!....this year we are trying new seeds.....King of the North suggested from Seattle Seed Co......

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:35 pm

CC, we cut our sweet peppers grown from seed back to 4 bottom leaves.  It make a huge huge difference.  The plants are way stronger, bushier and production increases dramatically.  We have a nice long growing season here (about 180 days), which may make a difference.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Do over-wintered pepper plants produce better the following year?

I'm trying it for the first time this winter.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:45 pm

meatburner wrote:CC, we cut our sweet peppers grown from seed back to 4 bottom leaves.  It make a huge huge difference.  The plants are way stronger, bushier and production increases dramatically.  We have a nice long growing season here (about 180 days), which may make a difference.
The bottom 4 leaves!?  Shocked  Ouchie wa wa.  But I'll do it.

Thanks for the confirm,
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:48 pm

boffer wrote:Do over-wintered pepper plants produce better the following year?

Boffer, I have no idea.  But do you have them in the house or in a green house?  I'm thinking if I have to chop them back so severely I should probably start them now, but I only have the window.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Empty big peppers

Post  reservoir Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:48 pm

I never had  peppers bigger than an egg when I was growing under cover as per instruction of transplant producer.  Then two years ago DH put one out accidentally in flower bed and we had 4 huge thick walled peppers.  Thinking it was insect pollination ( flower bed)  I put three out in different locations, again I got 4 great fruits per plants.

This year I am growing from seeds and I will top them.  See how it goes.
reservoir
reservoir

Female Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:06 pm

CC, I grew them in pots in the greenhouse last summer. I moved a couple indoors in an out of the way place (no lights), and a couple I left outside in a sheltered, slightly warmer location.

They're dormant. Actually, they look dead! I have no idea if they'll start growing when it warms up. I read about over-wintering them so that they come back heartier and more prolific, so I thought I'd try it.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:59 pm

I found that the peppers, tomatoes and particularly the aubergine responded quite favorably when I planted them into boxes I had moved onto the pavement of my driveway; they thrived in the higher temps there.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Me, too. I'm going to cut out a wedge-band of the MM at the perimeter and replace with new compost. Then recover with wood chips. Experiment. I cut the stems to 6-10 inches and there are little suckers growing at the former leaf nodes.

Question: How many nodes should I leave? I just saw on another Topic that 4 is a good number for bells? I wouldn't mind if the hot peppers really bushed.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:24 pm

sanderson wrote:

Me, too.  I'm going to cut out a wedge-band of the MM at the perimeter and replace with new compost.  Then recover with wood chips.  Experiment.  I cut the stems to 6-10 inches and there are little suckers growing at the former leaf nodes.

Question:  How many nodes should I leave?  I just saw on another Topic that 4 is a good number for bells?  I wouldn't mind if the hot peppers really bushed.
I'm not sure what you mean by nodes.
When I grow peppers the first year I pinch the terminal end and typically get 3 or 4 branches. They next season I cut this branches to about 8 inches from the soil level. This will give a bushier plant and more blooms.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:33 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:we always have problems growing CA wonder sweet bell peppers as well....we would get a bunch of them on the plant but they were small...... yet sweet yellow banana peppers in a topsy turvy did great!....this year we are trying new seeds.....King of the North suggested from Seattle Seed Co......

happy gardening
rose
I almost bought some King of the North seeds, but figured Ill use up my CA wonder first.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:09 pm

I've struggled too with sweet pepper production.  Last year I tried King of the North and the production was best I've had for large bells and I will do some again this year.  I also planted a lot of Yummy Small Bells--the red, orange, and yellow ones you see sold in bags in the store.  They really produce nicely, are crisp, sweet and crunchy and have few seeds.  And are open pollinated as an extra bonus.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 pm

meatburner wrote:CC, we cut our sweet peppers grown from seed back to 4 bottom leaves.  It make a huge huge difference.  The plants are way stronger, bushier and production increases dramatically.  We have a nice long growing season here (about 180 days), which may make a difference.
I'm intrigued by this--part of me thinks to give it a try, but I could see myself chickening out.  When do you prune back--after planting out or as soon as they start growing 5th and 6th true leaves?
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Camprn.....Do you mean to tell us you get a 2nd year of production from your peppers?  What's your secret?   What variety?  I never tried a 2nd yr.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 pm

I am trying King of the North this year as well. If they do well, I want to pot them up and bring them inside to see if I can keep them alive through the winter and set them out for a second season. Supposed to be possible, but will my cats behave around them..... thinking 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:24 pm

jmsieglaff wrote:
I'm intrigued by this--part of me thinks to give it a try, but I could see myself chickening out.  When do you prune back--after planting out or as soon as they start growing 5th and 6th true leaves?
We prune this way before planting out into the garden.  The plants have been potted up at least once and then pruned this way.  It sounds drastic but works so well.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:36 am

boffer wrote:CC, I grew them in pots in the greenhouse last summer.  I moved a couple indoors in an out of the way place (no lights), and a couple I left outside in a sheltered, slightly warmer location.

They're dormant.  Actually, they look dead!  I have no idea if they'll start growing when it warms up.  I read about over-wintering them so that they come back heartier and more prolific, so I thought I'd try it.
Boffer, hopefully several of our 2 y/o, HOT pepper plants will produce again this year! They were heartier and more prolific last year than their 1st year. We have a couple of sweet pepper plants overwintering indoors now, and yes ours look dead too! ALL of them are in 5gal. buckets (self-watering type). The roots of your plants might like some compost tea or some plant food.
Good luck.
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 am

quiltbea wrote:Camprn.....Do you mean to tell us you get a 2nd year of production from your peppers?  What's your secret?   What variety?  I never tried a 2nd yr.
I have a few that I pot up and bring inside for the winter. I cut them back to about 18 inches before digging them out of the garden then they go relatively dormant for the winter. I prune them back to 8-12 inches in February. I will set them out in the garden after Memorial day. I have a 4 year Serrano and a two year peperoncino this year.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

To Grow or Not to Grow(Peppers), that is the question Empty Re: To grow or Not Grow(Peppers), that is the question

Post  Boz Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:58 pm

I watched a video on pepper pruning last year.
There are many sites on you tube showing how to prune, the one I watched was
 Prune peppers

The results were so good that all my peppers will be started early and pruned.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next