Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 11 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  cpl100 6/28/2013, 12:49 pm

Was just reading a few garlic sites. My mind is boggled! Last year I planted German Hardy and (I think) purple glazer. I believe I had bought another kind that did not keep until planting time but there may be one or two of it in there. Only problem is that I can't recall the name.

Anyway..... I was wondering what your favorite garlic is to plant if you are in New England or a similar climate. I was thinking about Music this year but the reading of all the kinds on the Hood River Garlic site now has me wondering again.

Ideally it would be hardneck (for the scapes!) harvest early, store long and well and have a good yield.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  Turan 6/28/2013, 1:29 pm

One year I left my garlic in too long and they were growing among lettuce so getting lots of water.  They had mostly all split and had no outer wrappers.  I proceeded as usual but let them lay out on the porch to dry/cure longer.  That basket of mostly single cloves kept through early spring with out problem.  I took those left then and peeled and chopped and froze them.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 1:29 pm

cpl100.
This has been my year to experiment. I have 300 planted (they are a major part of my garden, since we eat so much garlic)
I have a lot of russian red, leningrad, musica, and I only have about 40 soft neck (purple) For the same reason as you, I planted mostly hard necks as I had read that further north the hard necks did better and the scapes are a wonderful bonus.

I am trying very hard to keep the different varieties separated so I can taste them separately. My russian reds are not ready to harvest
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Img_1113
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 1:31 pm

turan that is great to know. that is what I will do with the split ones.
I have harvested about a third of them now, and will likely leave the rest until after the long weekend (our long weekend is this weekend)
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 2:07 pm

OK, I think I have figured it all out.
The ones that are splitting are the Italian purple soft neck garlic, which are earlies and that is why....

I kept records of what is planted where, and created very complex maps which I had a little trouble reading.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/28/2013, 2:58 pm

GWN wrote:OK, I think I have figured it all out.
The ones that are splitting are the Italian purple soft neck garlic, which are earlies    and that is why....

I kept records of what is planted where, and created very complex maps which I had a little trouble reading.

OH! So they are splitting because it is time or a little past harvest time? That makes me worry a bit less as I really don't think mine are going to be ready until July (despite this rain). The very bottom leaf on some of the plants is turning and the rest are not as yet.

Thanks!

Yeah! The sun came out!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/28/2013, 3:06 pm

we harvested some scapes today cheers yummy

happy gardening
rose.... who is thankful for the gardeners here who taught her about scapes last year geek
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/28/2013, 3:12 pm

Enjoy those scapes FG!
I froze mine and love them so much.  Recently sliced some thin, sautéed in butter with fresh spinach and scrambled my eggs in it.  It was so delicious.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/28/2013, 3:30 pm

Something new to try with my over-abundant spinach! And I'm still harboring garlic and onion scapes in the fridge.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 3:36 pm

who is thankful for the gardeners here who taught her about scapes last year

Ditto from janet... Just LOVED the scape hummus, and have frozen lots of them, so will maybe have some in the winter. cheers 
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/28/2013, 3:37 pm

gee I did not know that onions also have scapes.... see there another thing learned.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/28/2013, 3:38 pm

Donna
Enjoy that overabundant spinach!  An awful lot of it could be used up too since it wilts down so nicely when cooked. 
sfg smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/28/2013, 3:42 pm

Yes, Gina!

I often cook it, sometimes together with chard. I'll probably try some this evening but will add some mustard greens from the square foot of Asian greens.

The accompaniment will either be grilled chicken with fresh herbs or grilled lamb chop marinated with fresh basil, garlic, coarse-ground pepper, balsamic vinegar, wine, and Gulden's mustard. Not to mention garlic mashed potatoes....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/28/2013, 3:47 pm

Wow, Oh yummy!!!!! Sounds like a 4 star restaurant preparation.  Enjoy !
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/1/2013, 2:16 pm

Is anyone growing Music garlic? I am considering that one for next year.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/1/2013, 10:31 pm

HI CPL, I have about 50 Musica garlic growing and starting to harvest many of them. I had read that they were very popular and so I thought I would give them a try. However I have not tried any yet.
They seem to be very large ... I will let you know when I get to try them

Janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/1/2013, 10:52 pm

I will be waiting to hear how you like music garlic too.  It was a toss up last year between ordering either it or german red.   With so many varieties to choose from and the initial expense, it will take awhile to try out different kinds. But it'll be fun Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/1/2013, 11:02 pm

GWN thank you for posting. I am glad they are large as we use a ton of garlic here. Looking forward to your taste test.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/2/2013, 12:30 am

I am quite excited, we are going to a garlic festival in August. Hoping to pick up some exotic varieties. I really have to get a better system for keeping track though. Last year I created a map, AND made wooden Markers with grease pen. However with planting in October and harvesting now, the wooden markers have faded and my map that made so much sense then, is confusing now. My latest attempt at markers is to take a plastic milk carton and cut it up and write with grease marker pen on the strips. I WILL let you know about musica though.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/2/2013, 10:55 am

GWN,
Get hold of an old working electric soldering iron and burn numbers on your smooth wooden markers, at least they shouldn't fade with the weather ..
On your pooter make a list for the year of what is sown in each square that has the numbered label in it.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/2/2013, 8:13 pm

GWN - Which Garlic Festival are you going to?

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/3/2013, 12:43 am

GRINDRON garlic festival

I live in a very rural area and this is pretty close to where I live.  When I started looking there are garlic festivals everywhere, even really small ones, and for me, I just want to get some different organic garlic to grow and found this one, which is about an hours drive from here.
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Img_1210

I am starting to feel like a real farmer, this is my harvest so far, still have many many left to harvest.
Janet..... who is singing..... GREEN ACRES is the place for me, FARM living is the life FOR ME.......
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/3/2013, 12:55 am

Beautiful ! 

Do you know how to preserve your best ones for replanting?   Most of mine are pulled and October is a long way off.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/3/2013, 1:16 am

This is a very cool site, I have found lots of info   https://www.garlicfarm.ca/storing-garlic.htm

I think that saving for planting would be pretty much the same as saving for eating, except that you save the berry berry best for planting Very Happy 

After garlic is harvested it needs to be cured. In curing the energy from the leaves goes into the bulbs as they dry. Remove any chunks of dirt from the roots, being careful not to bruise the garlic. Leave the roots on as they have a moderating effect on the drying rate.

If you have a small amount you can spread the plants out where they are protected from the sun and rain and there is good air circulation.

We hang the plants - about 25 to 40 to a string in bunches of 4 to 6. The appropriate number of plants in a string depends on their size and moisture level at harvest. You want the circulating air to be able to reach all sides of all bulbs. Hang the strings out of direct light where it is warm with good air circulation - a temperature of 27°C (80°F) is ideal and two weeks drying time is ideal. This way the bulbs dry evenly and without spoilage. You want the wrappers to dry and the garlic to retain its moisture and oils.

We hang our garlic in an open shed in a breezy location. If you do not have enough air movement use fans.

THEN CLEANING THE GARLIC

When the wrappers are dry, prepare your supply of garlic for long term storage, selling or for planting.

We recommend that you select your own seed first. Select good sized, fully mature bulbs with nice plump healthy cloves and set these aside for planting. If you are planting in the fall you do not need to do as much cleaning as you do for selling or long term storage.

Cleaning consists of trimming the leaves and roots and removing the dirty outer wrappers.

If the roots are crispy dry the roots and dirt will come off with a couple of rubs with a glove, leaving a short brush of roots. If the roots have picked up humidity you will need to trim them with snips, leaving 1 or 2 cm (1/2 to 1 inch). For many markets it is acceptable for the roots to be a little dirty - a quick brush with a glove on the trimmed roots is enough..

Trim the tops, being careful not to cut the skins protecting the individual cloves. Leave enough stem on hardnecks to make cracking easy.

The papery wrapping protects the garlic and keeps it fresh. Remove just the dirtiest outer layers of wrappers.

Place the clean bulbs in clean mesh bags or horticulture boxes, well labelled.

STORING GARLIC

Under good home storage conditions a solid, well-cured, well-wrapped garlic bulb will keep 6 to 8 months or longer. The actual keeping time is affected by variety and other factors. Store garlic at a cool, stable room temperature. A temperature of 15 - 18°C (60 - 65°F) with moderate humidity and some air circulation works well. We hang our garlic in mesh bags or keep it in horticulture boxes. We store our bulbils in paper bags.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/3/2013, 7:01 am

GWN wrote:
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 Img_1210

I am starting to feel like a real farmer, this is my harvest so far, still have many many left to harvest.
A beautiful harvest! Congratulations. okay 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 11 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 32 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next