Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 21 of 32 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26 ... 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  greatgranny 7/4/2014, 9:41 am

Think I'm beginning to agree with rotation.  I have hardneck garlic and the scapes were plentiful and harvested.  I pulled one today that was ready and it has no cloves.  I am hoping that the rest will but who knows until it's time to pull. 

My question is this - the ones that have no cloves, can they be planted in the late fall or should I just say it's a wash and use them as is?
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  Dunkinjean 7/4/2014, 1:37 pm

Just pulled all of my three types of garlic this past Saturday before our trip North.

Grew Late Italian, Polish White and Red Russian. The Polish and Russian were the 1st time I grew them and I had a great harvest!

At this time they are curing at home and brought a few with me to North NY to cure there. We go home on Mon. for 1week (bringing 6yr old grandson for visit with us) and then bring him back North for his brother's 2yr birthday!

I can't wait to get home to check on my gardens!!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/4/2014, 6:39 pm

greatgranny wrote:Think I'm beginning to agree with rotation.  I have hardneck garlic and the scapes were plentiful and harvested.  I pulled one today that was ready and it has no cloves.  I am hoping that the rest will but who knows until it's time to pull. 

My question is this - the ones that have no cloves, can they be planted in the late fall or should I just say it's a wash and use them as is?

The garlic I pulled last year that didn't form cloves I used as is. They were pretty tasty actually. I did not replant them. Meanwhile I'm supposed to be pulling my garlic today. But now we're having a partial hurricane so they may get soaked. Guess I'll wait another week or so and let them dry out before I lift them.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/4/2014, 10:07 pm

GreatGranny, from where did you get the starts for your garlic?  Were they from a fully mature head that was divided into several cloves?  Did you select just the largest cloves to plant?  I ask because: When I plant immature cloves from my garlics (the tiniest cloves), what I get the next year is a single large bulb.  That bulb, planted in the fall in good soil, will usually give me a regular, but small, bulb with divisions into cloves.  But, when I plant in Mel's Mix a single large clove from a big, fully mature bulb from, say, Fillaree Farms, I get another big, fully mature bulb the following summer (here in Oregon garlic usually is ready for harvest around Fourth of July--sometimes earlier, sometimes a bit later).  this year's harvest is earlier, and most of our garlic is drying under cover in the gazebo.  Heads not as big as last year's, though--response to weather, I'd guess.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/5/2014, 6:56 am

Good info nonna! My garlic is being slow. I want to lift it soon as I need the bed for other things. I hope it's ready within the week.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/5/2014, 12:37 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:GreatGranny, from where did you get the starts for your garlic?  Were they from a fully mature head that was divided into several cloves?  Did you select just the largest cloves to plant?  I ask because: When I plant immature cloves from my garlics (the tiniest cloves), what I get the next year is a single large bulb.  That bulb, planted in the fall in good soil, will usually give me a regular, but small, bulb with divisions into cloves.  But, when I plant in Mel's Mix a single large clove from a big, fully mature bulb from, say, Fillaree Farms, I get another big, fully mature bulb the following summer (here in Oregon garlic usually is ready for harvest around Fourth of July--sometimes earlier, sometimes a bit later).  this year's harvest is earlier, and most of our garlic is drying under cover in the gazebo.  Heads not as big as last year's, though--response to weather, I'd guess.  Nonna
I had the starts from last years crop which did very well - yes, large cloves.  Actually this year the scapes were better than the year before.  I am wondering if the cool weather and the overabundance of rain could be part of the reason.  I originally purchased the starts from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange in 2012.  Would the fact that I planted them in the same location also contribute to the issue?
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/5/2014, 5:38 pm

Planting any crop in the same place as it grew the previous year is not good: plants from Year 1 take their choice of nutrients; Year 2 plants get the leftovers, plus any disease that may have been transferred to the soil by Year 1 plants.  In our square foot blocks, we can sometimes add enough blended composts to replace nutrients used by the occupants of the blocks the previous year, but it's wiser to plant a totally different type of plant in said block in following year.  Crop rotation, you know: bean/pea family in area where heavy feeders (like corn) was last, etc.  Having said all that, I have found an extra dose of vermiculite along with composts and some bone and kelp meals really seems to help grow large garlic heads.  Makes a good side dressing for garlic plants come late May, too.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/5/2014, 6:38 pm

Noona, thanks.  I have put your advice in my notebook for this fall.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Empty Experiment to save garlic bulbs

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/6/2014, 12:26 pm

Like many others on this forum, we had too much rain in June, and I noted some garlic stalks' leaves dying off before the heads were fully formed.  When pulled, it was evident some fungus had attacked the plants forming a ring right above the heads (botrytis?).  These I threw in the burning pile.  In an experiment to save the remaining plants, I carefully pulled the soil (MM) from around the necks of the still-maturing garlic heads, and filled the space with vermiculite.  These plants (St. Helens Red) have continued to mature.  The test plants I've pulled in the three-week experiment have remained fungus free.  The plant I pulled this morning is very, very close to the size/maturity I've come to expect of this strain, will pull the rest of them at the end of the week.  Nonna, breathing a sigh of relief.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/6/2014, 1:50 pm

Thanks for sharing that experiment, Nonna. That's a good thing to have in mind in case one ever comes across it.

I have an issue that I was wondering if you, or anyone else, can help me with. Many of my California soft necks have sprouted bulbils about an inch or so above the soil line causing the plant to keel over above them. Have you experienced this? Is it preventable or is it just part of what this particular strain does? the couple that I harvested are so tiny. Since the tops of most have remained green I'm leaving them in until they're ready to lift. Does that seem right?

CC
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Img_2019
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/6/2014, 2:18 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Like many others on this forum, we had too much rain in June, and I noted some garlic stalks' leaves dying off before the heads were fully formed.  When pulled, it was evident some fungus had attacked the plants forming a ring right above the heads (botrytis?).  These I threw in the burning pile.  In an experiment to save the remaining plants, I carefully pulled the soil (MM) from around the necks of the still-maturing garlic heads, and filled the space with vermiculite.  These plants (St. Helens Red) have continued to mature.  The test plants I've pulled in the three-week experiment have remained fungus free.  The plant I pulled this morning is very, very close to the size/maturity I've come to expect of this strain, will pull the rest of them at the end of the week.  Nonna, breathing a sigh of relief.
What does the vermiculite do? Just curious.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/6/2014, 5:42 pm

1. CapeGoddess, stress can cause some softneck varieties to suddenly begin producing bulbils, usually on a short stalk.  Chet's Italian has done this in our garden, though just some, not all, the plants in a block.  It may be a desperate effort to produce more progeny.  Or, it may mean you really don't have California softnecks, but a variety like one of our new types from Filaree Farms, Japanese (an Asiatic garlic), which made big, early bulbs with fat bulbils about 4 inches up from the heads--the top fell over like you describe.  

2.  GreatGranny, I suspect the vermiculite collaring the top of the garlic heads rendered the stem dryer and less susceptible to the fungus that attacked some garlic plants in the same 4x4 bed.  Needless to say, this bed will NOT be planted to garlic for at least 5-6 years, if ever.  

Does this help?  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/6/2014, 5:52 pm

I bet it also kept the soil lighter and looser, which garlic really likes, right?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/6/2014, 6:05 pm

Marc, I believe you are correct.  There have been times since building my first "soil-less" beds from MM that garlic seems to grow too verdantly.  Also, Mel's Mix does indeed hold more moisture.  The "test" garlics I pulled the past 3 weeks have not dried some and been culinary tested.  They tasted fine.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/6/2014, 6:32 pm

I harvested another one today and it has cloves.  Not as large as I like but...  No sign of a fungus.  So, I think I am going to see how the rest turn out and if they are healthy and have cloves I will re-plant in the fall but in a new area.  Noona, thanks for all of your advice.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/6/2014, 7:37 pm

GreatGranny, should you decide to purchase garlic for planting, I hear Music is an excellent variety for your state.  I know it does well a few miles north in Canada.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/6/2014, 9:05 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:GreatGranny, should you decide to purchase garlic for planting, I hear Music is an excellent variety for your state.  I know it does well a few miles north in Canada.  Nonna
Thanks.  I found it on Southern Exposure.  I will maybe wait and see how my harvest looks overall.  I have only pulled 2 so far.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/6/2014, 9:41 pm

GreatGranny, it makes me curious: what kind of garlic are you growing?  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/6/2014, 10:57 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:GreatGranny, it makes me curious: what kind of garlic are you growing?  Nonna
I have German Extra-Hardy Hardneck from Southern Exposure.  This is the second year.  Now that I have learned my lesson, I will definitely rotate it.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Empty I just couldn't stand it anymore....

Post  donnainzone5 7/13/2014, 5:43 pm

Here's a pic or two of this weekend's garlic harvest.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Photo.php?fbid=926646960694576&set=pcbhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=926646960694576&set=pcb.926648354027770&type=1&theater
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/13/2014, 5:55 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Here's a pic or two of this weekend's garlic harvest.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 Photo.php?fbid=926646960694576&set=pcbhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=926646960694576&set=pcb.926648354027770&type=1&theater
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/13/2014, 8:19 pm

I'm not going to deal with facebook just to see a picture. Oh well.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/13/2014, 8:46 pm

Bad link or privacy settings are not public.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 21 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/13/2014, 8:54 pm

I'm still having trouble posting pictures....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/13/2014, 9:17 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:I'm still having trouble posting pictures....
donna, go to fb, right click on your photo, open in a new tab. Copy the Address of the photo & post here as normal. That's the way I do it.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 32 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26 ... 32  Next