Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati Toplef10Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati I22gcj10Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati Toplef10Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati I22gcj10Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati

+3
BackyardBirdGardner
Red-Leg
StevieM
7 posters

Go down

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati Empty Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati

Post  StevieM 1/10/2012, 7:50 am

I'm StevieM and just joined your wonderful group today!

I've been reading for a while and decided to join in the conversation. I've been using the SQG system for a while now and really like the raised beds. I have a very small yard, but managed to fit 4 4'X4' boxes-three with trellises.

I do have some questions, but will search the forum for answers before I bother you all with them.
StevieM
StevieM

Back to top Go down

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati Empty Re: Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati

Post  Red-Leg 1/10/2012, 9:00 am

Welcome, Stevie!

I'm fairly new here as well. We have a good contingent in the Cincinnati area and I'm hoping we can get together sometime.

Regards,
Darren
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati Empty Re: Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/10/2012, 9:10 am

Thanks for joining in, Steve! Don't be quiet now, ya hear?

You've seen the questions already I bet. Have you read the book? What does your garden look like? What do you plan to grow?

Let us know. Hope to see you around!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/10/2012, 9:11 am

Welcome Stevie! We have a great bunch here. Don't be afraid to ask questions Very Happy

Greetings from a New Memeber in Cincinnati Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  StevieM 1/10/2012, 9:35 am

I would love to get together with fellow SFGers in the Cinti area!

I don't have my pictures here at the moment, but I will look for some to post.

I've read both Mel's books and found both useful. The newer one helped me build the boxes. I do like the older one, mine has a copyright of 1981, has a wonderful section Guide to Growing Crops that I use every year.

My major issues here have been finding coarse vermicullite. I ended up using mostly pearlite and it isn't nearly as good at holding water. I think that Dayton Hydroponics has vermicullite and have been meaning to check.

Also I have issues growing any type of squash. I think they get powdery mildew and something else and just die. I just can't seem to grow squash (winter or summer). Also no mellons or cukes either. Plus the squirrels just destroy my tomatoes. So much so that I almost didn't bother growing anything last year. It is such a bummer spending all that time and effort to just have the squirrels take one bit out of a tomato, drop it and do the same thing to dozen and dozens.

I do build the small chickenwire boxes to protect my seedlings. I just don't have a good way to protect the trellised tomatoes. I may just grow cherry ones as the squirrels seem to leave them alone and there are just so many. I plant Besser and it gets huge.
StevieM
StevieM

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 1/10/2012, 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum Stevie!

We are getting tons of Cincinnati folks on this forum! I am in Glendale(Tri-County) and we have a lot more SFGer's all over the city. Last year we even met up a few times and we're hoping to do it a little more often this year.

Definitely ask tons of questions, no matter how ridiculous you think it is.

First things first- you need the new book!!!! The info in the new book is very different, essential and time saving!

Finding verm will get easier the closer we get to spring. Dayton Hydro in Tri County is prob your best bet for right now. Last year Ed's Feed and Seed got it in pretty early but it was the fine verm and not the course. Last year I started with getting the fine at Ed's then later I got course at Reading Feed and Garden.

GL finding a way to protect trellises. My main problem is the chipmunks and the squash bugs. My dogs keep all the birds away!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/10/2012, 3:27 pm

Welcome, StevieM

So nice to have you join us. Great that you have the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book to use for preparing your SFG beds. I agree there is a lot of good growing information in the older book too.

I certainly hope you find a solution for your trellised tomatoes, having squirrels nosh on them is such a pain in the tush.

I found my vermiculite at a hypdroponics store. Hope you get a chance to check out those local to you. You might want to give them a call before you drive out. Just to make sure they have what you need in stock.

Regarding your squash and cukes, are you able to water at ground level, either by using the cup and bucket method, or using drip hoses? Powdery Mildew can be aggravated by overhead watering.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 1/10/2012, 4:59 pm

Howdy Neighbor. I'm north on 75 , Trenton, Ohio. Glad you joined us. Yes, some of us are planning on attending some classes at the Civic Garden Center next month.

I'm hoping my dog keeps the squirrels/rabbits away this year. He is a retired greyhound so hopefully that won't be a problem for him. LOL

I was able to grow cukes last year but my squash never did anything.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 1/10/2012, 8:36 pm

I was just at Dayton Hydroponics this past Saturday and they do have the coarse vermiculite for $25 for a 4sf bag. I think I may run up this weekend and pickup four bags so I know I have plenty on hand.
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  StevieM 1/11/2012, 1:22 pm

Glendale: I think I'm going to build 5' cubes out of PVC and chicken wire and just put the cage over the entire bed and just remove the trellises. I've learned to loath squirrels. I'll let everyone know how it works.

Farb: Thanks for the reminder about watering on the ground. I try to do that, but I often have help watering from my second grade daughter and you know how that goes Laughing

Mad: If you figure out the squash let me know. I'm going to try a different variety this year that is supposed to say somewhat compacted 18" or so.

Red: I'm going to get to Dayton's soon and get two bags. I have 4 4x4' beds . . . so that should just about do it for me.

What a great resource you all have here!
StevieM
StevieM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum