Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Com-Til  Toplef10Com-Til  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Com-Til  I22gcj10Com-Til  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Com-Til  Toplef10Com-Til  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Com-Til  I22gcj10Com-Til  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Com-Til

+10
HillbillyBob
PVPind
littlejo
middlemamma
Unmutual
plantoid
newstart
boffer
madnicmom
llama momma
14 posters

Go down

Com-Til  Empty Com-Til

Post  llama momma 1/6/2012, 11:39 am

This is right off their brochure:

"The product is made from residual bio-solids from the City of Columbus wastewater treatment plants, yard waste and wood chips."

Eww. To me this is human poo that consumers are purchasing for use in our gardens. Unless someone can educate me I for one would not be comfortable using this product. Has this product been discussed before? I can't find anything on it in the search feature.

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Com-Til  Empty Re: Com-Til

Post  madnicmom 1/6/2012, 11:42 am

I didn't research it but my nursery said it was good for my garden , so it's in there. affraid
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/6/2012, 11:42 am

We have discussed it, but briefly. The studies that were referenced support your feelings: good for flowers; not so good for veggies.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 1/6/2012, 11:44 am

I dont think I would use it, BUT I have read about people using their hmm solids that have been composted with leaves, wood chip and such for well over a year. Then using. That said I think I will stick to the animal stuff lol
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/6/2012, 12:13 pm

Once it's gone through the sewage treatment works , masserated & oxygentated then filter bedded , aireated skimmed and settled it's quite different to the solids we produce . It is also very much diluted but it will have trace elements of medication , hormones , drugs etc that have been flushed down the pan that you might not like in your own food .

Here in the UK the slurry waste is shipped liquid form by rail from the big cities , pumped into massive agricultural tankers at a rail head. Then it's taken to the the deep peat beds of East Anglia & deliverd into the beds via long flexi pipes attached to a three foot deep plough arm being pulled by a gert big tractor that goes up & down the fields in rows every 20 feet or so .

Apparently the onions and carrots it produces are excellent , so is the grain crop , potatoes & leeks .
I wonder what the various supermarket customers would say if they knew the real score????

It is also sent to power stations & is burnt in the furnaces to help make electricity .
I think sometimes it was or is used in making animal feeds products presenting a source of phosphorous in the feed stuffs especially pelleted chicken feed by way of being used as the ash from the power stations.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 1/6/2012, 12:29 pm

Yeah, humanure is not going to be used or made by me ever. I think the term for that is sewage sludge when it's from a municipal source. From what I understand, cows, chickens, pigs, llamas, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc are good for use because they are all vegetable eaters.

Unfortunately, even though humanure can be just as good as any other fertilizer(if it's composted of coarse), it's also mixed with all those chemicals people pour down their drains.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/6/2012, 12:36 pm

Not sure I know how I feel about this. I know Mexico uses human waste compost on their food exports and I see Bells and cukes and toms in the grocery store from Mexico all the time.

To make a decision I would really have to research more I think. I go back and forth between eww gross and thinking at least we are using it. LOL
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/6/2012, 12:48 pm

One of the biggest problems with humanure is that it includes the pharmaceuticals that people use and also flush down the toilet for disposal.

I see occasional PSA adds pleading folks not to dispose of old pills down the toilet because the chemicals are beginning to show up in some city's water supplies.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/6/2012, 1:24 pm

Down here in SC, about a yr ago, folks started getting sick from e-coli. Come to find out, the farmer was spraying the liquid 'fertilizer' from the county on greens in his field. He thought it was sterlized, and that folks would cook the greens first, but folks used in salads. Didn't take long to stop it.

They had cantalopes this last yr. across this country with e-coli too, I never heard where it came from.

Probably if a real hot composting was done, all would be gone except for the drugs and hormones.
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  PVPind 1/6/2012, 1:34 pm

Back when I was landscaping we had certain customers who insisted on us using Milorganite for a natural fertilizer. Never used it on veggies, majority of the time we applied it to flower beds and lawns.

http://www.milorganite.com/home/

Just putting it out there.
PVPind
PVPind

Male Posts : 165

http://www.pvpind.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/6/2012, 5:14 pm

Unmutual wrote:Yeah, humanure is not going to be used or made by me ever. I think the term for that is sewage sludge when it's from a municipal source. From what I understand, cows, chickens, pigs, llamas, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc are good for use because they are all vegetable eaters.

Unfortunately, even though humanure can be just as good as any other fertilizer(if it's composted of coarse), it's also mixed with all those chemicals people pour down their drains.
Never say Never Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 1/6/2012, 6:19 pm

I would love for this issue to be deeply analyzed and researched.

We have concerns about the trace pharmaceutical elements which may, or may not, be filtered out of human manure. However, should we not give the same consideration to the antibiotics and growth hormones which bovine, equines, and poultry may be passing in their manure? When we purchase bags of that type of compost, I would think we may be subjecting our growing medium to many of the unknowns which concern us about the human by-product.

These factors should provide us with even more incentive to make our own compost!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 1/6/2012, 9:32 pm

ok heres my perspective from 3 differant angles 1 on the small farm my 2 ex's parents owned this is how it went:: cows pooped said poop was loaded into slurry wagon dumped on fields of alfalfa witch was cut bailed an fed to said cows SICK and healthy cows alike,cows pooped some more poop got put in slurry wagon and dumped on said fields of alfalfa again. see where this is going ??? 2 we had a small campground near where i lived when i was a kid during the summer myself and one of the owners kids would pump out the toilets take it over to one of the corn fields on the other side of the lake and dump it. the owner swore that were the human stuff got dumped grew the tallest. 3 in the town i lived in before i moved to michigan the city sent out notices saying that there was ABBYNORMAL concentrations of hccp<( not sure if thats the right abb.) in the citys water suppy what's this you ask ?? for that anwer all ya goota do is drive out to the city resivor where the city waste water treatment plant is located. and look at all the giant piles of canadian goose poop. another 2 cents worth

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Com-Til  Empty com-til

Post  boog1 1/6/2012, 10:11 pm

forgot to add this one where i live now we have well water last january we bought a water filtation systom iron filter/water softner/ r-o unit and we have it tested and the water company says its still only 96-97% clean. so pretty much what ever we do chanses are we'll never be completly free of any contamenates in our water or soil or air we breath or food we eat. an ta think i used to chew on my lead painted crib affraid

boog
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 1/10/2012, 10:29 am

for all you fellow sfg'ers that have chickens that use them for eggs, and you dont have a rooster,a side note if you give them feed from the feed mill it has a hormone in it that makes the chickens lay eggs. witch i'm sure most of you knew that allready but a hormone none the less. that being said, i'm sure theres been plenty of testing done to ensure that its safe to use for human consuption.

boog
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/10/2012, 10:43 am

How does having a rooster or not have any relevance to a hormone being added to the feed? Also, not all feed mill feeds contain hormones.

Com-Til  Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/10/2012, 10:44 am

Other concerns aside, I have to wonder if the other stuff we flush down the toilet gets into the humanure. Like drain cleaner. Or bleach. Or paint (yes, people do that).
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum