Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 Toplef10How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 I22gcj10How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 Toplef10How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 I22gcj10How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG?

+14
Lindacol
Goosegirl
claudiamedic
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
Luci Dawson
HillbillyBob
martha
WardinWake
plantoid
sfg4uKim
Furbalsmom
Chopper
LittleGardener
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 Empty Re: How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG?

Post  claudiamedic 6/7/2012, 5:43 pm

Here's a link for the Garden Rack that was mentioned earlier. It looks like it would be a great solution for those of us in wheelchairs! Maybe next year I'll talk someone into building me one.Garden Rack
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 Empty Re: How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG?

Post  LittleGardener 6/8/2012, 11:43 pm

gwennifer wrote:
I think the triangle beds around a tree trunk sounds neat.
Made me think of this raised bed built in a shape called the Versailles Sunburst
that I've always admired:How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 Sunbur10

In the interest of giving credit where it's due,
you can buy it here at www.frameitall.com or they sell the kits at Home Depot too.

THANK you so much of making me aware. I love it! I love you

*goes to check it out pronto* ~ & other related Creative-resources... feel Free to share sunny
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/9/2012, 5:02 pm

Since $350+ is far too expensive for us, Homemade Smile is the option.
The petals in my design are reversed, with ends pointing towards the Tree-trunk, with six-eight petals in a circle.

Now to getting the wood. Any idea's where we can get some cheap?
And what about using other materials like bricks, filled in with dirt.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/9/2012, 9:55 pm

LittleGardener wrote:Since $350+ is far too expensive for us, Homemade Smile is the option.
The petals in my design are reversed, with ends pointing towards the Tree-trunk, with six-eight petals in a circle.

Anything you can get for free or cheap can work and adds to the individuality of YOUR garden. Make it all your own! I am a big believer of free and improvise!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 6/9/2012, 11:07 pm

Search your local raigslist for wood or even already made garden beds. Check the free list and the materials and farm & garden secions. You can find some interesting stuff, sometimes very reasonable or even free.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/10/2012, 12:38 am

Lindacol wrote:
Search your local raigslist for wood or even already made garden beds.
Check the free list and the materials and farm & garden secions.
You can find some interesting stuff, sometimes very reasonable or even free.
Yes, have the Craigslist-FREE section bookmarked. Now added the Farm&Garden section. Thanks for reminder Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/10/2012, 8:45 am

You can also sign up for Freecycle. All stuff must be FREE. Not all areas have a network set up, but give it a try. You can post what you have to give away or what you are looking for and if anyone in your area can comply they will post back.

http://www.freecycle.org/

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/11/2012, 3:10 am

Goosegirl wrote:You can also sign up for Freecycle. All stuff must be FREE. You can post what you have to give away or what you are looking for and
if anyone in your area can comply they will post back.

http://www.freecycle.org/

GG
Wow! - Thank you so much!

and speaking of FREE - I just had another flower Creative breakthru...
(beats a breakdown tongue anyday LOL)

See, I have wanted for years to create a Plant-design using certain Letters,
but couldn't figger-out how. - Well, Eureka! I have a (bazillion cheers POTS),
I can just arrange them in the shape of the letters, and voila done!

I'm soo excited! Thank you all sunny
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/11/2012, 7:33 am

Fun idea with the Letters! You will have to post some pics when you get them arranged. I need any ideas people can throw at me!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/18/2012, 11:53 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Fun idea with the Letters! You will have to post some pics when you get them arranged. I need any ideas people can throw at me!
Hi GG,
1st. need to learn how to work the Video-recorder before figgering out how to get dem picts. uploaded. But I enjoy Very Happy everyone else's...
In the meantime, did read Mel's latest Garden book. - Yesterday, started repping people here for your wonderful help thanks God Bless you all...

(Halfway thru planting the 'window-boxes' with more Begonias, Coleus, Delphiniums, Geraniums, Lilies, & petunias, etc - it occurred to me to maybe plant the How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 370856013 veggies there instead. Looks a bit odd thinking doncha think?
Gathering more materials for year-round sunny successful gardening.

LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/19/2012, 12:34 am

Nothing at all wrong with planting veggies in window boxes. Or some nice herbs for cooking.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/19/2012, 11:25 pm

walshevak wrote:Nothing at all wrong with planting veggies in window boxes. Or some nice herbs for cooking.
Kay
Soo right: http://www.fennelandfern.co.uk/blog/2012/05/03/vertical-gardening/ the Vertical Edible balcony Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 4:55 pm

LittleGardener wrote:Since $350+ is far too expensive for us, Homemade Smile is the option.

LG...if you plant under a tree, then you made a shade garden...unless the tree is bare! And then it should be removed, because it will fall at some time.

Shade gardening is slower going, and the plants do need some hours of sunshine.

Is your tree positioned to allow that?

It's a lovely idea...a flower on the top (leaves) and a flower on the ground (SFG).

What were your 4 toxic treatments?

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/23/2012, 6:25 pm

Hi
re 4 toxic treatments: NOT belong in a 'Garden'-forum, so please stop asking, how 3 injected poisons finally caused my heart to fail pale. Mentioned briefly, so people knew am not in a wheelchair. And more importantly as from previous acts of medical malpractice, so from this too I have every intention of again healing. Plus I've helped others also heal, so this should come as Good cheers news: Plants can heal, animals can heal, & we humans too can heal when encouraged with empowering happy hi resources.
and
re the Tree & flower plant idea: alot has changed in only one month; so already we're on to bigger Very Happy dreams, goals, & plans. Amidst having 2 family-members to heal, aside running a house, & everything else. - I love this Forum: an eternal-resource of good things, if only I can ever read & implement them all.

Enjoy this week sunny Ava

LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 7:49 pm

Just trying to get to know you, LG. You mentioned the treatments in your OP. :scratch:

As you see from the many posts in your thread, there are a lot of people with different disabilities on the forum. It's a help filled community!

Yes, the body can heal itself. The Creator knew what He was doing! Given the right materials, the body can show a quick response.

To your garden! How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 3170584802

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 7:52 pm

Bob, thank for the info on the GardenRack! It is almost identical to what I submitted to the nursing facility for TT Gardens for those with wheelchairs, walkers or free moving ...all done with the input of many of the forum members.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/23/2012, 8:22 pm

in the late 90's as a manager of geriatric group homes, I surveyed Residents as to what kind of gardening they enjoyed before. Next sans an elevator, started the one wheelchair-limited person off with pots in the window-sill, while I instituted a progressive Very Happy Exercise class, during which we pretended to be gardening and talked about what fun they'd have when we got there. - Then, as they demonstrated ability to safely navigate the 20-steps down the stairs, & too crossing a hilly parking lot, they eagerly ventured forth into the Garden area a distance away, where I had arranged for pots, loamy soil, seeds, seedlings& hand tools for them to have a blast. They LOVED every minute I love you of it, especially the Salads for our Picnics they too got to enjoy ... ah yes! Gardening-success How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 3170584802
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 9/8/2012, 2:01 am

Guess what! everyone,
The Compost-pile is growing, & drying, & changing into Very-good growing resource already, so it's going into black bags, stacked on top of big black plastic-sheets (neighbor threw away). - Too I need Face-to-face okay support, so I'm joining 2 Garden groups: Seed-savers, & W.Wa.Fruit-trees, how kewl! Wink
At my 1st. meeting
I learned how to finally eliminate the HUGE LAUREL (gobbling up our yard,+neighbor's). That How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 950477 monstrosity's going bye-bye!
Also, there's a gardener not far away, who turned a concrete-jungle, into a lush Food-garden using but Wood-chips?? Hard to believe, called "back to Eden" Have you heard of it? Incredible. - Well, I pray for mountains bounce of Compost: the best. - How are you all doing? Great! wave smile hopefully...
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/8/2012, 1:28 pm

LittleGardener wrote:Guess what! everyone,
The Compost-pile is growing, & drying, & changing into Very-good growing resource already, so it's going into black bags, stacked on top of big black plastic-sheets (neighbor threw away). - Too I need Face-to-face okay support, so I'm joining 2 Garden groups: Seed-savers, & W.Wa.Fruit-trees, how kewl! Wink
At my 1st. meeting
I learned how to finally eliminate the HUGE LAUREL (gobbling up our yard,+neighbor's). That How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 950477 monstrosity's going bye-bye!
Also, there's a gardener not far away, who turned a concrete-jungle, into a lush Food-garden using but Wood-chips?? Hard to believe, called "back to Eden" Have you heard of it? Incredible. - Well, I pray for mountains bounce of Compost: the best. - How are you all doing? Great! wave smile hopefully...

I just watched the movie Back to Eden twice, VERY interesting for sure. When you say your neighbor turned a concrete jungle into a lush food garden, did he do his garden on the concrete? Thanks for any into. I want to try this method in addition to my SFG for comparison. TY for any info!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/8/2012, 1:44 pm

There is a Back To Eden discussion in the Non-SFG forum. Please take discussions on the topic there.

How can the currently disabled, succeed in SFG? - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 9/15/2012, 6:08 am

Aside exploring that previous 'back to Eden' discussion elsewhere; today on sale at HD, I bought 10 med-strength Tarps (6x8 ft) to use for weed-drowning, & Compost-making, & anything else useful. - Feeling in over my head, seems the perpetual Rolling Eyes challenge, as black-plastic bags I used got torn by delinquent neighborhood cats cont. roaming/fighting freely; so what if their poo gets into the Compost, will that ruin the whole project??
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 5/13/2013, 3:19 am

So 7 months ago, I wrote that the kitchen scraps were composting nicely. However I discovered that the black-bags composted everything but grass; and that composts much better when in direct contact with the ground. So there's now a 6x10 ft. area where I counted 10-20 little worms wriggling thru each 2 feet of rich black earth in which Fruit & Veggie-starts will find their home, hopefully Very Happy happy.

LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/13/2013, 3:32 pm

Nice one GG ,
There are many ways of skinning a cat , some just take a wee bit longer than others . Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 5/15/2013, 7:14 am

plantoid wrote:Nice one LG ,
There are many ways of skinning a cat , some just take a wee bit longer than others . Wink
Thank you for your kind Smile responses Plantoid.
Tho
aomeone else said I am to no longer post in this thread, no less on only my 1st. day back yesterday. Discouraging to say the least. Guess I'll say Hi elsewhere. See you Smile around.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2