Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries next year Toplef10Strawberries next year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries next year I22gcj10Strawberries next year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries next year Toplef10Strawberries next year 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries next year I22gcj10Strawberries next year 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strawberries next year

+4
BackyardBirdGardner
Squat_Johnson
fiddleman
cyclonegardener
8 posters

Go down

Strawberries next year Empty Strawberries next year

Post  cyclonegardener 12/8/2011, 2:24 pm

I am planning on planting strawberries in a 3x6 bed. I think I will have the ones that bear in June. Need some advice on growing, when to plant, how close together, fertilizer needs, pest control, etc..
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Strawberries next year Empty Re: Strawberries next year

Post  fiddleman 12/8/2011, 6:15 pm

According to Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening, pp. 226 - 227, Location: Full Sun, Transplant as soon as the soil is not frozen. Be sure soil is not wet.

Check out the rest of what he has to say for the details, it covers quite a bit. Basically though, it will work great if you use his Mel's Mix formula, plant the strawberry plants 4 per square, cut off the runners, and keep 'em watered properly. The scourge of strawberries are birds, squirrels, and slugs. Birds and squirrels are easy enough to prevent by using bird netting or chicken wire over the top of the beds... slugs... are persistently difficult to eradicate. Beer will attract some, but you'll not attract them all. Occasionally there are insects which create a foam which will attack strawberry plants, but catching the hatch early with an insecticidal soap will mitigate the damage. No need for special fertilizers when you use Mel's Mix.

You can also try to grow strawberries from seed, especially some of the more uncommon varieties...especially the Alpine varieties. In order to have fruiting size Alpine strawberry plants in May, the seeds need to be sown indoors in December. You can sprout them in Vermiculite then transplant into individual 3 inch pots after they've sprouted. Depending on your location they can go into a cold frame in Early April to harden off, and plant them outside later in the month. Beginning in late May the plants have an abundance of white flowers followed by the first fruit in early June.

I wish now I had done the strawberry bed as a table top to prevent some of the damage from the slugs... I may let a few runners grow into a table top, and then restart the bed in a new square...

Strawberries...yum.

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 12/8/2011, 7:38 pm

I will share what I did last year. I bought some june bearing first, then later added some everbearing when I realized I had room. Here in this photo are transplants from last June, after they were first established. Strawberries next year Dsc03717

This idea is not new, and I'm not sure who to credit on this forum (if you know, tell me. If it's you, THANKS!)

It's a 4x4, a 3x3, 2x2, and a pot in mine, I think whoever I swiped this idea from had a 1x1 on top. I put 1" nylon netting over the whole thing because the birds will eat a bunch of them.

As to cutting the runners, No, I passed and actually let them spread to other holes in the top pot.

Pruning, I did not cut anything except blossoms the first year. This stimulates rooting growth the first year.

I probably only ate 5 strawberries this year. I didn't pick all the blossoms. At the end of the year, I threw a quarter bale of straw on the plants, and I'm waiting for the second year. I started a bed once before, and it's the second year harvest that pays off. I maxed out picking a gallon a week during June and July. If I get a fraction of that I will be very happy.

Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Strawberries next year Empty Thanks!

Post  cyclonegardener 12/8/2011, 8:52 pm

Appreciate the advice!
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/8/2011, 10:36 pm

Do you by chance have the book? You will see it referenced so often that it's worth the time savings alone. This forum compliments the book so well.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/9/2011, 10:05 am

I'm hoping my hubby can modify the vertical wall planter below to make it 2x4 with casters. Wondering if putting some PVC with perforations will be good to help water. Thoughts?

Strawberries next year Vertic10

Last edited by ksroman on 12/9/2011, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a question)

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Strawberries next year WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/9/2011, 10:38 am

Love the wall unit. How big are the plant openings. And yes on the perforated PVC. Makes watering easier and more even.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/9/2011, 10:48 am

If you were meaning only 2' wide, I'd guess that pvc with holes would work, perhaps 2 of them, 6" from the sides.

If you mean 4' wide, I'd use a soaker hose snaked through, perhaps zip tied to a sheet of hardware cloth, or just added as the soil goes in. I don't know if it would sink down or not over time without support, but I doubt it. I'd do it on a really sunny day or use a hair dryer/heat gun to get the hose to bend easily without breaking. I use quick-connect hose thingies for this kind of set-up.

I was just reading about making a vertical planter like that out of a pallet. They stapled landscape cloth to the back, filled it with soil and the plants as it was lying down, watered it in and let it "set" for a week or too, and then stood it up and fastened to the wall. Looked cool, but they were really wishing that they had put the soaker hose in for easier watering. I'm thinking of making a TT this way, to avoid slugs in my alpine strawberries. Because I was thinking horizontally, I don't remember how they kept the soil from slumping down to the bottom. Perhaps landscape "shelves" stapled on inside?
Yours would look much more elegant! Nice to have a carpenter around. 8-)
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/9/2011, 11:15 am

LOL deleted my last post.

Oooo great ideas, especially tho soaker hose. I like the zip tie idea.

Yes, 2' wide and 4' high. LOL I could see it in my head. Very Happy

Not sure how big the plant openings are on that drawing, but I'll be able to customize it to my needs.

Hubby's not a carpenter, but he does try. Smile

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Strawberries next year WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/9/2011, 11:35 am

Yowsa! I just looked again, and saw the prices they want for those! Maybe I should go to carpentry school!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Strawberries next year Empty The book

Post  cyclonegardener 12/9/2011, 12:00 pm

I don't have the book, but I will check it out at the Library.
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 12/9/2011, 3:49 pm

Hi cyclonegardner! I'm in SE Iowa too. Thought I'd say welcome to this wonderful, informative forum! Hope to see you around often.

The book is almost a must have. I've lost my copy and that was the only thing on my Christmas wish list. If I don't get another copy, I'll just order it, I think from Amazon, they are under $13, but so worth having it in your hands when it come time to get the garden going again.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/9/2011, 6:29 pm

janezee wrote:Yowsa! I just looked again, and saw the prices they want for those! Maybe I should go to carpentry school!

You mean you don't have a spare $1700 (plus S&H) to spend on that?

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Strawberries next year Empty Mel's book

Post  cyclonegardener 12/9/2011, 10:14 pm

Thanks Stripesmom! noticed you too were from SE Iowa. You're right, the book is a must have. Will have to get it.
FYI: right now it's 10 above and my cold frame is 34. I love fall and winter gardening!
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 12/10/2011, 9:11 am

My hoops haven't faired as well. I have plastic over them, but no ground cover as it was such a pain to cover and uncover all the time. I think they are done for after last night, but not sure. This weekend when it's closer to 40, I plan on cleaning them off, but might change my mind if it looks like they are still ok. Kind of fun to keep going with them. I'd like to eat fresh swiss chard for Christmas from the garden.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 12/10/2011, 1:02 pm

sounds fun stripes mom!
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Strawberries next year Empty To stripesmom

Post  cyclonegardener 12/12/2011, 11:09 pm

One of the best things I did in my cold frame was leave the lettuce, which was planted to late anyway and then watch them grow in March. Had some pretty good lettuce late March, early April.
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down