Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Toplef10Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish I22gcj10Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Toplef10Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish I22gcj10Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish

4 posters

Go down

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Empty Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish

Post  milaneyjane 9/27/2011, 11:11 pm

http://domesticatedchick.blogspot.com/

I made this with all the peppers we picked last week. OHHHH MYYYY GOOODNESS!!! It is yummy. I didn't add the cilantro and my pepper mix was about 1 1/2 batches. It was about 4 green pepper, a couple jalapeno and thai, a whole bunch of red chili peppers (the majority of the mix) and lots of hot banana peppers. Your end results will obviously depend on your pepper mix. It wasn't nearly as spicy as I thought it would be so go ahead and be brave with the hot peppers.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Empty Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish

Post  janefss2002 9/29/2011, 8:54 pm

Wow! This looks amazing and a great way to use pepper combinations at end of the season good idea . I've been freezing like crazy. Maybe even use this recipe as Christmas presents?
Thanks!
Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Empty Re: Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish

Post  PNG_Grandma 10/9/2011, 8:06 pm

We're gonna try this recipe tomorrow...we have tons of peppers because Al got a bit carried away again (when doesn't he??!!) and planted way more peppers than we could ever eat this summer. If you haven't seen our thread about the community garden we've been working on and in, take a look at our Apollo Garden

If this turns out as yummy as I think it will we might give some small jars as Christmas gifts too...great idea Jane!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Empty Mexican Relish and Cowboy Candy

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 10/9/2011, 9:40 pm

The Mexican Relish is on my list of things to do with the (finally) ripening jalapenos and other peppers from the rapidly diminishing garden. However, in a fit of whimsey, I stirred up a batch of Cowboy Candy (candied jalapenos). We were unable to wait the recommended 2 weeks before sampling it, so after just one week, we slathered some over some cheese served with crackers. Folks, I'm here to tell 'ya, this is good eats! Recipe found on the web at foodiewithfamily blog:

Candied Jalapenos (Cowboy Candy)

There aren’t words that exist to describe how addictive these little savory, sweet, spicy, crunchy, garlicky pickled jalapeno rounds are. Put them on sandwiches, tacos, rice or bake them into cornbread. You’ll need more and more! Foodiewithfamily blog

Yield: About 9 half-pint jars of Candied Jalapenos plus additional jalapeno syrup. Nonna’s mileage: 7 half pints—could have used 3-1/2 lb. jalapenos, or more.

Ingredients

3 to 3-1/2 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed (Nonna note: the 3 lbs. should be weighed out AFTER stemming)

2 cups cider vinegar

6 cups white granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

3 teaspoons granulated garlic

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Instructions

Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. (The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.) Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Skim foam. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

*If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or… In short, don’t toss it out!

Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth then label.

Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or don’t. I won’t tell!

Notes

I know this sounds crazy, but double this recipe. People will beg you for jars of this and get surly if you say no. Just. Trust. Me.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish Empty Re: Must try recipe....Mexican Pepper Relish

Post  PNG_Grandma 10/13/2011, 2:18 pm

Oh...Em...Geeeesh!!!! We made the Mexican Pepper Relish, and we think all is well...but ya know, it took ALL day to do this!! Shocked
Al began cutting up our peppers around 9:30am and we finally finished our entire project, last jars processed and out of the canner at 8:30pm!!! And we didn't slack off...we had THAT many peppers to chop and do stuff with! (Did I mention Al tends to overdo, as in waaayyy too many pepper plants!!?) Rolling Eyes
Al had to rush back to the store for more jars...we finished with 24 pints and 3 half pints. But we did it!!! That was our very first time for canning anything...and now we're eager to do more stuff. We both wish we had learned this sooner, earlier in the summer when we had more to work with.
Ahhh...next summer!!! Anyway, we haven't yet tasted the relish in our jars, but we did try some before we put all the rest into the jars...and it was YUMMY!
Thanks for posting this recipe, now to try the Cowboy Candy!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down