Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Foundation is Heading to Peru! Toplef10The Foundation is Heading to Peru! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Foundation is Heading to Peru! I22gcj10The Foundation is Heading to Peru! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Foundation is Heading to Peru! Toplef10The Foundation is Heading to Peru! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Foundation is Heading to Peru! I22gcj10The Foundation is Heading to Peru! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Foundation is Heading to Peru!

+6
FarmerValerie
Bec
walshevak
GreenBlueberry
Unmutual
middlemamma
10 posters

Go down

The Foundation is Heading to Peru! Empty The Foundation is Heading to Peru!

Post  middlemamma 5/19/2011, 10:57 pm

Alan sent the following to me to share with the forum members:

Hey Jennie,

We got some great opportunities coming up. The institute for Self Reliance in Agriculture is inviting us to go to Peru in July to teach The SFG method to several universities and local groups. They have some good resources, so they will help cover our travel costs. Another Great NGO called Choice Humanitarian loves our method and would love for us to go down with them to Guatemala or Mexico to teach up to 50 villages the method in order to help them become self sufficient. These guys are not as large so they can’t afford to cover our travel costs. We are also short about $3,000 that we need for the two weeks we would be in the villages. I would like to see if we can get the support of our people to help get SFG down to those countries. I have set up a donation center here:
http://www.donationto.com/Squarefootgardening
Would you mind putting up an announcement on the forum and seeing if we can get our teachers and SFG gardeners to help get SFG to these countries that are so in need of what we offer? The expedition is slated to take place in August, so we would need the funds by then. Thanks Jennie, let’s see if we can pump our people and support this great cause! Alan
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

The Foundation is Heading to Peru! Empty Re: The Foundation is Heading to Peru!

Post  Unmutual 5/21/2011, 9:40 am

Helping your neighbors is always a worthwhile goal. Donated $20 and it looks like I'm the first to do so. I would have donated more, but Alan spells his name wrong(it should be Allan!) tongue . Wish I could afford more, but this economy sucks!
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 5/22/2011, 4:42 pm

Done! Oh man, I wish I could go. I am originally from Mexico and I know I could contribute a lot to the trip. Sadly, I have a young family to care of..
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/22/2011, 7:41 pm

Awesome you two!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/22/2011, 8:02 pm

I did my part, where are the rest.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 5/22/2011, 8:47 pm

I would love to help out but unfortunately I can't. My job has just come to an end in the past week and we are cutting expenses (getting rid of phone, fax, satellite - still need to find more ways to cut back) to help us get buy until I find a new career. It's very exciting that SFG Foundation has been given this opportunity. I'm sorry I can't contribute.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/23/2011, 9:44 am

What about seeds? Do they need seeds? I may be able to help finacially by August, but was wondering about sending seeds?
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/23/2011, 1:19 pm

Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for Donating to this great cause. We really want to help these people. We can even take donations of airline tickets. If any of you work for airlines that give discounts on those red-eye or standby stuff, let me know. We are also partnering with Concero Connect, an internet service NGO to help broadcast our training to many villages at the same time, so we don't have to travel to as many places! Unfortunately, seeds are a pain as there are many laws that limit what kind of seeds can be imported to different countries. However, I am always experimenting with new types of SFG and new types of systems(I am developing a cheap, easy to use, aquaponics system) and I can always use seeds, so if you have some great plants that you would be willing to donate seeds for, send them to me here at:
Square Foot Gardening Foundation
2951 Pennsylvania Ave Suite 2
Ogden, UT 84401
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/23/2011, 1:31 pm

I don't have any left, but can airline mileage points be donated to a worthy cause? I have heard the Make A Wish program has been able to accept them. Worth a query.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/23/2011, 3:01 pm

That's a good idea. I tried seeing how you donate miles, but apparently, each airline has their own specific charities that they work with and they are the only ones you can donate to. I have tried to see if there is a way to add ourselves to the charities, but i can't find any. Sad
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/23/2011, 4:34 pm

I found this information. Can you make it work?

The situation is more complicated if the charity you wish to support isn't on your airline's official recipient list. But with some extra effort, it is indeed possible to exercise your charitable instincts.

To donate miles to a charity not formally supported by your loyalty program, you must be willing to coordinate directly with the nonprofit in question. If a representative confirms that the charity is in need of free tickets to further its goals, then you can assist the organization with your frequent flyer miles.

When directly supporting nonprofits, you cannot simply donate miles, since miles cannot be transferred for free. What you can donate is award tickets, assuming of course that you have enough miles to redeem for an award. The process would be as follows: First, the nonprofit would provide you with the name and desired travel itinerary of its designated traveler. Second, you would redeem your miles for an award booked in that person's name.

You should note that mileage donations do not qualify with the IRS for tax deductions, as a cash donation might. On the plus side, donating miles counts as an account transaction and will extend the life of your remaining miles according to the program's policy.

Whatever the practical benefits of mileage donations may or may not be, giving is always the best gift of all.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/how-can-donate-my-frequent-flyer-miles-to-worthy-cause.html?id=6374725

Last edited by walshevak on 5/23/2011, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add link)

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

The Foundation is Heading to Peru! Empty Also going to Peru

Post  GlobalGardens 5/26/2011, 1:20 pm

Hola,

I came across this site when googling ways to donate seeds to Andean communities in Peru (which I am still googling..). This summer I'll be volunteering with indigenous communities near Cusco. I'll specifically be assisting in a project to integrate modern sustainable agriculture practices with more ancient agricultural practices. I think it would be interesting to learn more about SFG, in particular at your University presentations in Peru, to bring the information and skills back to the Andean communities. Is this something we could possibly arrange? When/where will you be presenting in Peru? I should be arriving around July 15th or so.

Thanks and good luck/happy travels! Smile

-Arty

Last edited by GlobalGardens on 5/26/2011, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelled interesting wrong :))
GlobalGardens

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/26/2011, 8:57 pm

GlobalGardens wrote:Hola,

I came across this site when googling ways to donate seeds to Andean communities in Peru (which I am still googling..). This summer I'll be volunteering with indigenous communities near Cusco. I'll specifically be assisting in a project to integrate modern sustainable agriculture practices with more ancient agricultural practices. I think it would be interesting to learn more about SFG, in particular at your University presentations in Peru, to bring the information and skills back to the Andean communities. Is this something we could possibly arrange? When/where will you be presenting in Peru? I should be arriving around July 15th or so.

Thanks and good luck/happy travels! Smile

Hola hombre, hablas español?
Yes, the current plan is to travel in mid July as well, so we might be able to see each other! PM me and I'll give you some details!
-Arty
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/26/2011, 9:00 pm

walshevak wrote:I found this information. Can you make it work?

The situation is more complicated if the charity you wish to support isn't on your airline's official recipient list. But with some extra effort, it is indeed possible to exercise your charitable instincts.

To donate miles to a charity not formally supported by your loyalty program, you must be willing to coordinate directly with the nonprofit in question. If a representative confirms that the charity is in need of free tickets to further its goals, then you can assist the organization with your frequent flyer miles.

When directly supporting nonprofits, you cannot simply donate miles, since miles cannot be transferred for free. What you can donate is award tickets, assuming of course that you have enough miles to redeem for an award. The process would be as follows: First, the nonprofit would provide you with the name and desired travel itinerary of its designated traveler. Second, you would redeem your miles for an award booked in that person's name.

You should note that mileage donations do not qualify with the IRS for tax deductions, as a cash donation might. On the plus side, donating miles counts as an account transaction and will extend the life of your remaining miles according to the program's policy.

Whatever the practical benefits of mileage donations may or may not be, giving is always the best gift of all.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/how-can-donate-my-frequent-flyer-miles-to-worthy-cause.html?id=6374725

This sounds like a wonderful idea. If any of you have these 'award points' and you are not using them, we would be very grateful if you would like to donate them to our cause! Does anyone know how to convert airline miles to 'awards' and does anyone out there have enough that you are not using that you might want to share? Thanks guys. By the way, looks like we have been invited to some of the most impoverished areas in Mexico and Guatemala as well do to the same thing by another NGO. We could really use all your support. We also want to thank those who have already contributed to our cause. We really appreciate it! Alan
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 6/1/2011, 5:12 pm

bumping...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/1/2011, 5:18 pm

Hey, the contributions are all the way up to $70 now.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/1/2011, 8:04 pm

I am not able to donate funds but I would be interested in going to help teach.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/2/2011, 1:14 pm

If you need one more reason to support the SFG Foundation, there is a new E. coli outbreak.

More inhttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/ap_on_he_me/eu_contaminated_vegetables_europefo.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Foundation is Heading to Peru! Empty RE: Foundation is Heading to Peru

Post  tabletopper 6/3/2011, 12:53 am

Donations: goal is $3000......with 59 days to go.....donations now at this moment is $120......
Ruth....tabletopper...
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down