Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss Toplef10Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss I22gcj10Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss Toplef10Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss I22gcj10Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss

+2
camprn
sallysgarden
6 posters

Go down

Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss Empty Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss

Post  sallysgarden 5/6/2011, 8:04 pm

I'm a total beginner in Portland, Oregon and the very knowledgeable Urban Farm Store recommends I substitute coco fiber for peat moss because the coco is much less acidic and this is apparently a concern here. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks
sallysgarden

Back to top Go down

Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss Empty Re: Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss

Post  camprn 5/6/2011, 8:25 pm

Hi Sally Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 396615 to the SFG Forum! Yeah, Very Happy I'm not buying that line from the sales person. Peatmoss from Canada is just perfect and the preferred substance for Mel's mix in this neck of the woods. Here is some information...coir vs. sphagnum (peat) moss <~~~ Click
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sallysgarden 5/7/2011, 12:14 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Camprn. I went to the link but it only references tomatoes and impatiens and doesn't mention soil acidity. So please bear with a nervous novice: isn't it possible that conditions in the NW are very different from the NE?; and I'm not sure how widely to apply the research since my three initial beds will hold a wide variety of vegetables - not just tomatoes, which we may do separately in a special gizmo since many find them challenged out here...... Any further advice from all you veterans out there would be greatly appreciated.
sallysgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/7/2011, 3:21 am

If I have not said so already Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 396615 Sally, as far as coir vs. peat goes here is another bit of info from an articale on the fine gardening web site. www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/getting-to-the-coir-of-the-matter.aspx

" While peat tends to be acidic, coir leans toward a near-ideal pH, depending on the source. Some people also find that coir is easier to work with than peat. Coir retains more water than peat, making it a wise choice for many containers and hanging baskets. But the potential for high levels of soluble salts to accumulate is greater with coir-based than with peat-based soils. To eliminate any cause for concern, be sure to buy coir products from a reputable company."
They are not selling coir nor peat. Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/7/2011, 6:19 am

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I can understand the sales person recommending what they think is a good thing for using with your local dirt but they don't seem to know that the latest version of Mel's Mix doesn't contain dirt. Obviously it won't be of use to you knowing that coir or peat is good for your local dirt unless you are planting in that dirt.

I think Mel's Mix would be slightly different in pH depending on the brand of vermiculite and each of the composts used but still within the range that most plants need. The
bagged composts I have been able to buy don't state the pH at all so I'll have to
stick my test meter in to see.

Regards,
Barkie
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/7/2011, 6:52 am

sallysgarden wrote:I'm a total beginner in Portland, Oregon and the very knowledgeable Urban Farm Store recommends I substitute coco fiber for peat moss because the coco is much less acidic and this is apparently a concern here. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks

I ran into this for the first time last season.... evidently coir is "the new black".

I found my vermiculite at an organic/hydroponic supply store and asked for a bag of peat moss also .....

The salesperson looked at me in disgust, wrinkled their nose & started wagging their finger at me about the "pH neutral" aspects of coir & that peat was not renewable and how I was single handedly ruining the planet by using peat moss.

If the guy had been a little older than the socks I was wearing at the time Very Happy , or a little more polite, I might have paid attention a litte more ...... tongue

However, I've heard subsequent info that is similar to what he mentioned. For my part, I've worked with the coir a couple of times in the last year. The pro's are that it's a really good water indicator when used as a top dressing. The "con's" are that its very small grained and blows around alot if not completely saturated and floats worse than Pearlite in water. Personally, I found it a lot harder to work with than peat moss.

Just my .02

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2011, 7:45 am

sallysgarden wrote:I'm a total beginner in Portland, Oregon and the very knowledgeable Urban Farm Store recommends I substitute coco fiber for peat moss because the coco is much less acidic and this is apparently a concern here. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks
Yup, it is true that the coir is neutral pH and the sphagnum has a pH of around 4. Are you doing more than one bed? Maybe it is a good time to try a side by side comparison. I apologize for not directly answering the question in my previous response. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/7/2011, 2:32 pm

sallysgarden wrote: I'm a total beginner in Portland, Oregon and the very knowledgeable Urban Farm Store recommends I substitute coco fiber for peat moss because the coco is much less acidic and this is apparently a concern here. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks .....

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Camprn. I went to the link but it only references tomatoes and impatiens and doesn't mention soil acidity. So please bear with a nervous novice: isn't it possible that conditions in the NW are very different from the NE?; and I'm not sure how widely to apply the research since my three initial beds will hold a wide variety of vegetables - not just tomatoes, which we may do separately in a special gizmo since many find them challenged out here...... Any further advice from all you veterans out there would be greatly appreciated.

Sally,

I live on the Southern Oregon Coast and succesfully use Mel's Mix just as described in the book. Peat Moss is the way to go.

The native soil in Western Oregon and Western Washington is usually considered to be acidic.
OR Extension Service
However, one thing your "gardening consultant" may not have considered, you are not amending your native soil. Instead, you are creating a complete growing medium, without native soil.

Hope this is helpful.

And by the way, Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss 654548
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Acidity: coco fiber vs. peat moss Empty What a wonderful community!

Post  sallysgarden 5/9/2011, 3:41 pm

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowhow. How come it never occurred to me that soil acidity doesn't apply since I'm not using soil? And how will my poor little plants ever grow up properly with such a spaced out, illogical mother??!? I'm off to round up the magic three ingredients today and hoping the promised dry, sunny tomorrow will allow us to make a start.
sallysgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/9/2011, 6:34 pm

Momma's not spaced out or illogical.

This is a whole new way to thinking, and look at you, asking good questions.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum