Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book Toplef10Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book I22gcj10Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book Toplef10Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book I22gcj10Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

4 posters

Go down

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book Empty Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/29/2011, 9:30 pm

Heretofore (since January), I've been using a 1981 edition of Square Foot Gardening, but with the New SFG, I'm even more energized! See where I could have better done what I've already done, and decided on what I'm a'gonna do next better. (Not sure that makes sense.) Will expand the salad garden close to the kitchen, and make dedicated beds to produce vegetables especially for canning and freezing (we use lots of tomato sauces--various varieties. Will build and dedicate 4x4 beds just for garlic, selecting varieties to extend our harvest and provide a "flush" for spicy pickled garlic. Need a new 2 x 14 bed running along the fenceline for various beans and peas for both fresh and canning use, which will become the tomato bed next year, etc. Only things I've not decided on: how best to plant the three sisters (corn, beans, squash)...do I really need to make a 4 x 10 foot bed for this purpose? Whadda y'all think?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book Empty Re: Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

Post  Furbalsmom 4/30/2011, 2:07 pm

I hope boffer can jump in about your corn. Corn just doesn't like my little part of the coast, and the two years I tried it, absolutely nothing Evil or Very Mad I did have nice corn shocks to display over Halloween and Thanksgiving though.

So glad you got the new book. The ANSFG method is so much easier than the old. No digging or double digging to mix amendments into your native soil.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book Empty Re: Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

Post  boffer 4/30/2011, 7:20 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote: Only things I've not decided on: how best to plant the three sisters (corn, beans, squash)...do I really need to make a 4 x 10 foot bed for this purpose? Whadda y'all think?

I don't think there are any benefits to growing corn in a box of MM when you start talking about more than a 4x4. For one thing, it would take forever to break even on your startup investment.

That being said, I grow my corn in the same 5 way compost that I make for my MM. And I usually stick a few squashes at one end of the corn patch, just because they're out of the way. Since part of the benefit of the three sisters is that the beans help fertilize the corn, it would be interesting to divide your patch in half to compare a 5way compost mix to, I dunno, something less nutritional?!

Let us know how it goes. There's always lots of talk by folks who are going to do it; there's seldom any feedback from folks who have done it.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book Empty All New SFG book

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/1/2011, 11:10 am

Boffer, you've now got me thinking about taking some of those old hay bales down in the barn, putting them in a rectangle and filling the center with Mel's Mix, where I will plant the corn. Then, perhaps dig out some holes in the bales, fill with compost mix and plant the squash. Beans, of course, will be interplanted with the corn. It would be easy to sink four stock fence posts at the corners of the "box" and string cord around the perimeter of the thing to help support the corn (considering the loosness of the MM, shallowness of corn roots, and vulnerability to wind being much taller than usual). Except for the new MM, no expense, which is a very good price.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2011, 11:18 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Boffer, you've now got me thinking about taking some of those old hay bales down in the barn, putting them in a rectangle and filling the center with Mel's Mix, where I will plant the corn. Then, perhaps dig out some holes in the bales, fill with compost mix and plant the squash. Beans, of course, will be interplanted with the corn. It would be easy to sink four stock fence posts at the corners of the "box" and string cord around the perimeter of the thing to help support the corn (considering the loosness of the MM, shallowness of corn roots, and vulnerability to wind being much taller than usual). Except for the new MM, no expense, which is a very good price.
Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book 997193 Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book 418730
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down