Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I wanted to... Toplef10I wanted to... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I wanted to... I22gcj10I wanted to... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I wanted to... Toplef10I wanted to... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I wanted to... I22gcj10I wanted to... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I wanted to...

+3
Blackrose
middlemamma
BackyardBirdGardner
7 posters

Go down

I wanted to... Empty I wanted to...

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/27/2011, 5:03 pm

...take pictures of my SFG today, but it's raining so hard I lost sight of it. And, I'm afraid I'll have to row a boat out to it. And, I'm afraid a male and female zebra will jump off the boat when we get there. And, I'm afraid I'm losing my freaking mind because of all this rain.

How the H. E. double hockey sticks do you guys in the PNW do it? I'm searching for hairs to pull from my bald head.

Wow, I feel better.....just sayin'. (Sorry for those of you in droughts. I'd seriously share if I knew how.)
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

I wanted to... Empty Re: I wanted to...

Post  middlemamma 4/27/2011, 5:04 pm

Im not even as far west and the real PNW....but I feel your pain. The silver lining is though...All my newly mixed MM is soaked. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 4/27/2011, 5:37 pm

middlemamma wrote:All my newly mixed MM is soaked. Smile

+1!!!

All of this rain is doing wonders for keeping the MM hydrated well!

I am looking forward to some sunny, warm weather though. sunny
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/27/2011, 7:06 pm

Well, BBG, I will probably be bald too before long. We have had rain, thunderstorms, hail and now snow today. I wanted to... 277611

Sunday and Monday were nice.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther 4/27/2011, 8:24 pm

Yep we have THE hAIL SNOW AND RAIN here also so I'm thinking the mosture is going to do wonders for the garden when the sun arives Rolling Eyes When I went to work I could hardly see yesterday. Was so happy to get to the garden and now well it's called wait time again at least got a glimps of the bliss of surenity. YEP It's coimg coming soon cheers
Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/27/2011, 8:26 pm

Yep! Hang in there Esther. It will be here soon.........I keep saying that..........

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/28/2011, 10:30 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:...take pictures of my SFG today, but it's raining so hard I lost sight of it. And, I'm afraid I'll have to row a boat out to it. And, I'm afraid a male and female zebra will jump off the boat when we get there. And, I'm afraid I'm losing my freaking mind because of all this rain.

How the H. E. double hockey sticks do you guys in the PNW do it? ....

Hoodies and sloggers.

We don't keep a ratty old jacket by the back door, instead we hang last year’s expensive REI find made of the latest high tec fabric. Rubber sloggers sit by the door. I plan my trellises as much to hold plastic sheeting in the spring as tomatoes or beans in the summer (which doesn't really start until mid July.)

The good news? The coffee is wonderful, so are the micro brews and local vintages.
Snow is a charming event that shuts down school not because we fear it (ok, some do fear it) but because we celebrate it. It will be all over the news; it brings out the child in the seasoned reporter who has had their fill of police brutality, police shot dead in coffee shops, young girls at the edge of blossoming into a woman found brutalized and abandoned in a ditch. Wet snow is good clean fun.
Once the salad is ready it stays for a long time.
For some reason, if the lavender doesn't drown first, it grows with wild abandon and we put it in everything.
Sun rise and set are breath-taking.
Tulips turn whole fields shades of red, purple, pink and white. Yellow too but by the time the tulips open up we have had our fill of yellow from fields of daffodils that came before them.
The third, fourth and 5th vine ripe tomato is a celebration (the 2nd is a magical). The price you can get for almost ripe tomatoes at the farmers market is unreal.
Rain brings wild mushrooms.

It can take up to 4 days for us to get 3 inches of rain and the land seems to have been created to handle the deluge.....unless you were charmed by riverfront property. And, we only get hurricane force winds a couple of times a year.

Deborah....whose heart goes out to those who got 3" overnight. God bless and keep.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin 4/28/2011, 11:21 am

Lavender Debs,
Don't forget to mention the emerald green of new growth on the hemlocks, the combo of tiger lilies & Shasta daisies in the wild, trees that 6 adults could barely stretch their arms around (we tried it!), a grove of red cedars that were saplings when Columbus landed, and the sound of all those creeks & small streams falling through the woods. All because of the PNW rain.
Two summers hiking through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest as a Forest Service volunteer opened my eyes to a whole new world. The PNW is a truly special place.
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/28/2011, 12:00 pm

dmsandlin wrote:Lavender Debs,
snip....Two summers hiking through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest as a Forest Service volunteer opened my eyes to a whole new world. The PNW is a truly special place.

If you were with the Forest Service than you must have heard GPNF referred to as the "Gag and Puke" I have no idea why. My son and brother-in-law both worked for the Forest Circus for years, everything has a nick name.....although now that I think of it, their home station was in Verlot (Rainer-Snoqualmie National Forest....Verlot typically gets an inch or two more rain than the Olympic National Rain Forest) and I don't remember them calling it anything as enduring as Gag and Puke. They also loved it (really, if they didn't love it they didn't come up with a name to scare people off…. humm) because it was the banana belt of the PNW.

We love our Cedars but think of hemlock as weeds (it is the litter box smell they put off when cut....we shake our heads when flatlanders cut one at Christmas) I forget sometimes that those flowers don't grow everywhere wild. You can get used to something (and yet I have loads of pictures whenever I come across a field of them)

Deborah.....shhhhh on the big trees....someone will build a road and cut them down if they find one unprotected outside of a National Park. That is why we have Sasquatch...to protect the last of the big trees …his spirit lives in those of us who love them.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down